Chapter 15

Remember Me?

There I stood, waiting for the door to open. I didn’t know what to expect when I saw this man. What would he do? What would I do? What should I say? As the door opened, I had no idea how this encounter was going to happen. Either way, I walked into the office full off fear and anxiety. Lee Soo Man was sitting at his desk and he motioned for me to sit in the chair across from him. It’s okay. Be calm. If he isn’t your father, so what. It’s fine. What are the chances of him being your father anyways. Okay how should I start. Hello I’m Lee Kari and I think I might be your daughter? Yeah, that makes me sound completely sane. Lost in my own thoughts, I didn’t hear Lee Soo Man start talking and I nodded along to whatever he had just said.

“It is great to finally meet you. Okay. I have a few questions before you can ask me your questions. Okay?” He gazed at me and I was confused. Did he recognize me? Did he know why I was here and wanted to find out more about me? I agreed and he started his questions.

“Where did you grow up?” I would imagine he knew but I guess he was checking to make sure.

“I grew up in England for most of my life. I did spend a few years in Korea, so I am familiar with the culture and language. I’m half Korean so I am fluent in Korean and English.” I think I rambled a little bit but I wanted him to know that I did keep in touch with my Korean side and my English side as well. To be perfectly honest, I wanted to impress him. My father was a hot shot business man and I was his daughter. I couldn’t just be ordinary, plain. I had to be extraordinary; something special.

“That’s very good. How old did you say you were again?” He asked. “I believe you were quite young but I don’t remember for sure.”

“Yes. I am only seventeen years old. But I have done a lot in these seventeen years. I was one of the top students in my school in England. I have also done a lot of extracurricular activities and was responsible for almost all my school events. I can say I have had a pretty successful school life.” Once again I hoped that I had met all his expectations if he even had any. I don’t think he expected that his daughter would show up unannounced one day and want to become a part of his life again. Well, life was unexpected.

“You seem to have accomplished a lot even at such a young age. You also seem like a confident young woman who can speak her mind. I am very pleased with everything you have said and your overall character in general.” He got up after finishing his sentence and reached a hand out. I stood up as well and instinctively reached my arm out. I shook his hand with a firm grip to show that I was just as confident as he thought but inside I was freaking out. Did this mean he wanted me to be a part of his life again? Was he happy to finally meet his daughter after so many years or was he just putting on a show?

“I am glad to inform you that you have gotten the position as EXO’s personal secretary and events manager. I hope that you will do a very good job. Now if you will excuse me, I actually have a rather important meeting I am running a tad late for. We can talk more in detail afterwards. It was a pleasure meeting you Lee Ka Eul-shi. I hope that we will work well together.” He got up and opened the door for me. I was speechless. Lee Ka Eul? Who was that? And what position was he talking about? I had no idea and I wanted to ask him but I had no idea what to say. Then I realized the reason I didn’t have to make an appointment or anything. He had mistaken me for someone else who had applied for a job here. The name I guess was similar. But I couldn’t pretend to be this person. I had to tell him the truth. I opened my mouth to reveal my true self when instead I said,

“Yes. It was very nice to meet you too. I am very happy to have this job. Please take care of me.” What had I just done?

 

Why do you think Kari responded that way and how will she get out of this mess?