70

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“But the thing about remembering is that you don't forget.”

- Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried

 

After the white-haired male walked away, Kai ran out and called for the others to meet inside Chanyeol's house where you were resting. It took several minutes to gather them, but soon, all six were standing beside you, exchanging information in hushed tones. After you had expounded about your experience, Sehun also added his to the conversation. "So you're saying that the tribe of Askar no longer exists, and that all its members are under the control of the Tribe of Rayhem as slaves?" Suho repeated. "That's exactly what I'm saying," Sehun replied as he straightened out his robe, "So if you're looking for them, they're in the city somewhere." "And you guys said you saw Baekhyun?" Suho questioned you and Kai. "We did. That was defiantly him. He had the mark on his arm, so there is no mistake about it. Baekhyun is a slave working for Chanyeol's household," Kai responded. "But he didn't recognize us!" you exclaimed, "It was as if he had never met us before!

"Do you think Lay and Yeja are here as well?" Kris asked as he looked around the loud crowd of people celebrating. You shrugged your shoulders, head resting on the armrest of the couch. "Not sure, but something is definitely not right here. I want an explanation as to how someone as bright and hyperactive as Baekhyun is suddenly acting like a complete push over," you told him. "Do you think we should ask some of the other slaves? They might know something about it," Luhan suggested. "Have you seen the way they are treated? Talking out of turn could result in a beating for them," Tao said, shooting down the idea. "But don't you think they'd know something about it?" Luhan huffed, "Who else is there to talk to?"

"I could see if I could get an audience with Chanyeol's parents, saying that I want to pay my respects to the hosts of the party," Kris suddenly suggested, his back leaning against the wall as he looked over at Suho, "Do you want to come with me?" Suho nodded his head, closing the journal that was in his hand and sticking it back into his satchel. "Sounds like a plan. And the rest of you can search through the party for any traces of the others," Suho added, getting a resounding agreement from everyone else. "Actually, Kora should come with us, since you aren't feeling well. The area where I saw Chanyeol's parents is much quieter than the rest of the party, and we can't leave you in here by yourself," Kris said, "And Sehun should come along as well. The security here knows that you and I have abilities, so there will be less eyes on the others while they search if we are both in the same place." Eyes turned to the two of you and you both nodded your heads, agreeing with his words. "Okay," you answered weakly, still slightly lightheaded as you finished the water Baekhyun had handed you earlier.

"But what are we going to do about finding the Askarian Inheritor?" Kai asked, his eyes darting between everyone. "Hm, perhaps tomorrow we can visit Auntie Mai and ask her for more details, since she did say she was a part of the tribe. She seems extremely busy at the moment," Kris said, suddenly turning to Sehun, "Thank you for the information. Although our quest is not yours, your heart to help us is appreciated and valued." The younger male shook his head. "It was no problem. The rest of you have been helping me search for my love, it's the least I could do," he said thankfully, a small smile gracing his face. "And we promise to find her, along with our friends," Kris hummed, patting Sehun on the shoulder. "Should we head out then?" Luhan said as he motioned towards the door. The others hummed in agreement and one by one you all grouped up and walked back out to the party. 

 

"And who might you four be?" an extremely elegant woman asked as you, Sehun, Suho, and Kris stood outside of the open tent canopy where she and a few other people sat on large, plush looking pillows which laid on top of a beautifully designed red and gold rug. Her eyes twinkled in curiosity as she looked at you, her eyes the only thing visible since a purple veil covered her face from nose down. Everyone within the tent paused their conversations, all heads turned towards the four of you. You could feel the heated stares eyeing your body up and down, causing you to feel extremely uncomfortable.

"We are travelers from the Kingdom of Ordea," Kris greeted politely, bowing his head. The three of you followed in suit to his actions, causing a small smile to appear on her lips. "Ah, you are the travelers that my husband and son told me about," the woman said, motioning for you to come inside, "Please, do come sit with us. I would like to get a closer look at you." You looked up at Kris, who gave you a reassuring smile as he walked in confidently amongst the crowd of ten people, all whom were spread out in different areas of the tent. The audience of men and women were dressed more maturely than those you had seen outside, and their faces looked slightly more aged. Sehun noted how the food and drinks prepared on a small table to the right of you looked much more expensive and grand than the food that was being presented to those celebrating on the outside.

You rested with your knees flat on a cushion across from the women, Sehun to your left and Kris to your right as she looked over you and your three companions. "My name is Adena, wife of Tribe Leader Amen, and the mother of Chanyeol," she said, introducing herself as she eyed each of you closely, "My husband will be back shortly, he had something important to discuss with Chanyeol." "We are honored to be in your presence," Suho said with a smile, causing the Adena's eyes to curve up happily. "Such well-mannered Others you are," she hummed, "It is always nice to see Others who know their place." You coughed softly, trying to hold in any snarky remarks you had boiling in the back of your mind. "Have you encountered any who have not abided by the mindset of the Rayhem society?" Suho questioned just as a tall, lanky looking Other walked into the room, a tray of bubbling water in hand. He lowered himself and handed each of you a cup of the mineral water before bowing his head and walking back out of the tent. Adena took a sip from the water before replying, "No one who serves my household has ever been that disrespectful, but I have heard stories from the sellers that there are some who fight back quite violently. I consider that shameful."

"Indeed," Kris responded, his voice a bit timid as he asked, "So, how many do you have under your name?" Adena tilted her head and looked up, as if calculating the total amount her mind before she answered, "I think perhaps about forty? Oh, wait, forty three. Yes, that's right. I just got some new ones this past week!" Your brow raised at her words. "Three?" you asked, suddenly realizing that you sounded far to eager than normal. You prayed that she would not hear the hopefulness in your tone. "Yes, three, and they are quite the beauties if I do say so myself. I have quality taste in Others," Adena explained braggingly, "Would you like to see them?" "Yes," Sehun answered loudly, his body lurching forward slightly in anticipation. Immediately after, he lowered his voice and settled back on his knees, "Please, if you would be so kind."

The woman stared at Sehun, her eyes suddenly narrowing as she examined his facial features. "Are you Sehun?" she asked, curiosity evident in her voice. Sehun bowed his head once more and answered, "Yes, I am." Adena hummed softly, her expression unreadable. "It's true, what my husband and son say about you," she admitted, leaning forward a little to get a better look at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter