21

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We dream to give ourselves hope. To stop dreaming - well, that’s like saying you can never change your fate.” 

- Amy Tan, The Hundred Secret Senses

 

It was a large, circular room filled to the brim with people of all shapes and sizes. The scent of beer, wine, and smoke was in the air, making you cough. It was hot and humid inside, probably from the bodies that exceeded the occupancy limit of the building. The vibe of the people inside made you feel grimy and uncomfortable. To the far left, there was a bar where people were getting drinks. Some grabbed their beverages as fast as they could before returning to the commotion in the center of the room while others parked themselves on the stools and talked to each other.

To your right, you saw a similar bar-like area; only this one did not have any drinks. It instead had a quite sleazy-looking man standing behind it and calling out numbers to the crowd in front of his counter. The crowd members handed him coins and received small slips of paper in exchange; that crowd was more of a line. Once they got their papers, they would head back to the center along with everyone else in the room.

"Welcome to the Underground, my friends. This is the place to be in Ura!" Rujin exclaimed proudly as he looked around at his establishment. "What exactly does one do here?" Suho asked him. Rujin looked at him and howled in laughter again. "What do you do here? Drink! Eat! Bet and be merry!" "Bet on what?" Luhan questioned. "On the entertainment, of course! Here, come have a look."

​Rujin walked through the crowd of people, who gladly stepped out of his way. You and the others followed him. He pushed through until he got to the center of the room. When you got there, you now saw that a large portion of the center was actually a type of circular pit. The pit was designed so that the people above could look down upon the commotion inside it. As you looked inside, your eyes widened.

​Inside the pit, you saw a light brown-haired girl and a dark brown-haired boy, who both looked around your age. They both looked bruised, broken, and bloody. There were scars all over them, and their bodies looked malnourished. The boy took hold of two short duel blades and lashed out at the girl. The girl had in her hands long, thick needles intertwined with her fingers, making it look as if she had claws.

She jumped off the side of the pit wall to evade the boy's attack. She then threw her left hand at the boy's back, stabbing him with her needles before you could even blink. You knew from living as a Iren that she had hit his main pressure points, disabling any attack he would attempt to make. When the needles made contact with his body, the boy immediately dropped his blades to the floor and fell face forward.

The girl then walked over towards him, bending down and picking up his blades. He looked up at her, fear in his dark eyes. The girl closed her eyes, a grim expression on her face. You weren't certain, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter