10

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You think this is a trap, then?" the Count asked. "I always think everything is a trap until proven otherwise," the Prince answered. "Which is why I'm still alive."

- William Goldman, The Princess Bride

 

It was getting dark, so Kris, Suho, and you went back to the inn to change into your costumes. After you had finished changing, you met the guys outside in the front of the inn. "You ready?" Kris asked. "As ready as I'll ever be!" you said sarcastically. "Now remember, we're here to look for the Musan. So don't wander off, okay?" Suho told you. You nodded your head. "Maybe you should take your own advice!" Kris laughed, knowing that his friend could lose focus sometimes. "Oh, give me a break, messenger!" Suho chuckled as he rolled his eyes at Kris.

You walked down a couple of streets until you got to the town square. The lanterns you saw in the morning were now lit, people were dancing in the center of the square, musicians were playing music, and performers were showing off their talents on the stages on the side of the streets. The atmosphere was so happy and joyful; it seemed to melt all your troubles until you forgot you even had any.

"Kora! Try these!" Suho called as he pulled your attention away from the festival. He handed you a small, round, sugarcoated pastry about the size of your palm. "It's really good!" he laughed as he ate the other pastry he had in his hands. You grinned and took a small bite out of the sugarcoated food. You tasted the powdered sugar, then the mouthwatering fried cake, and finally a delicious custard filling. Your eyes widened as you swallowed.

"This. Is. AMAZING!" you exclaimed as you finished the rest of your treat in one bite. "Isn't it? Let me get us some more then!" Suho laughed as he walked to a nearby food vendor. "Kora, you have some sugar on your... well, everywhere," Kris chuckled. "I do?" you asked. Kris handed you a napkin, and you quickly wiped your mouth clean. "Sorry, it tasted so good I guess I didn't realize," you laughed uneasily. Kris ruffled you hair and motioned for you and him to continue walking. Suho soon came back with more of that incredible pastry that the three of you devoured in a flash.

You looked at a few booths as you walked down the street. There were paintings of beautiful landscapes; some were abstract. One booth had paintings of beautiful creatures. You liked one in particular of a majestic unicorn drinking from a serene lake in the middle of a forest. "Wow..." you whispered as you observed all the intricate details in the masterpiece. At the bottom right of the painting, you saw a signature and a strange symbol.

I wonder where this artist got his inspiration? you thought as you pulled away from the painting and walked back to Suho and Kris. They were watching a magician perform a levitation act that made the whole audience burst into applause. You smiled as the three of you entered the main area of the town square. Here, people were dancing to the music the musicians on the large main stage were playing.

Suddenly, you felt a tap on your shoulder. "May I have this dance?" asked a tall man. "Uh..." you said as you looked back at Kris and Suho for approval. They smiled and gave you a nod. "Sure," you said as you took his hand. He led you to an open area of the square. "I apologize in advance, I admit I've never danced before," you said meekly as you placed one hand on his shoulder, the other still clasped in his, and began to dance. He smiled. "Well, you sure know how to break someone's fall!" he chuckled. You tilted your head.

"What do you mean by-" you began, but stopped mid-sentence when he removed his mask. "YOU?" you stammered. He grinned and winked at you. "Nice to see you again," he laughed, making you laugh along with him. "Oh my gosh! I never expected to see you again!" you laughed. "I told you I'd make it up to you!" he answered as he bowed his head slightly. "My name's Luhan, by the way."

"My name's Kora," you replied as you both continued to laugh lightly while dancing. "But how did you know it was me? I'm wearing a mask!" you asked, curious as to how he was able to recognize you. "I'm not really sure myself," he answered honestly, shrugging his shoulders. "I just... felt like it was you." You raised your eyebrows.

"You felt like it was me?" you asked, almost unbelievingly. He nodded his head. "I know it sounds really strange, but I feel like I'm connected to you somehow," he said, sounding slightly embarrassed. What he said was pretty strange, but not as strange as the feeling you had inside you. Somehow, you felt connected to him too. There was no explanation or logical reason you could think of to explain why; you just felt it.

"Please don't think this i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter