14

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What does it mean to be the best? It means you have to be better than the number two guy. But what gratification is there in that?
He's a loser—that’s why he's number two. 

- Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not for Sale

 

 

"3... 2... 1... GO!" The loud voice boomed through the stands. You pulled your arrow back to your cheek, holding it gently but firmly, and took your aim at the target. You held your place and released the arrow, a perfect shot. You shot a few more arrows into the center of your target before you heard a loud horn blow. "You better get moving, pretty girl!" the voice of the one called Kai whispered in your ear, making you shiver because one, his voice was really breathy and creepy, and two, you didn't even know he was behind you.

You snapped your head around, almost hitting his head with yours. The closeness your faces shocked you for a moment. He smirked and moved back a bit. "It's going to get interesting around here. Brace yourself," he said as he ran to the back wall. You noticed that the other competitors were doing this as well, so you followed them to the back.

Suddenly, the back wall opened up, revealing a variety of bows and arrows. "Take your weapon!" the loud omnipotent voice commanded. You eyed the ones closest to you; they were all different shapes and sizes. You knew that even the slightest difference in a weapon could affect its versatility and function. So, you decided to look for one that was similar to the one you used at home. You fixed your eyes on a thin, sturdy bow. It was just what you wanted. You took the bow and the quiver of arrows next to it, latching the quiver over your shoulder and prepping one arrow in the bow.

"Commencing arena!" the voice boomed as you felt a low rumbling from beneath you. Instantly, targets appeared all throughout the arena. You then saw the arena... change? Somehow, the elevation of the arena transformed from a flat surface into a rough, rugged terrain, which was filled with hills and ledges. "So, that's why the seats are high up," you mumbled to yourself. "The ten people who hit the most targets will move onto the next round. The others will be disqualified. You may begin!" the voice announced.

As if it was a reflex, you took off running and jumped onto a ledge that was protruding from a nearby wall. You quickly took your aim and shot five targets from your current position. You shot a sixth arrow, but another arrow hit the target before yours did. You turned your head and saw Kai, giving you another one of his signature smirks as he waved to you. He then jumped off the hill he was standing on and landed onto another ledge.

You growled and jumped onto a nearby cliff, scanning the area for open targets. You found another three and took them out easily. Suddenly, you noticed that there were also targets on the hills and ledges you had stood on, so you jumped, firing arrows towards the ones you had recently been on before the people who were still standing on the ground could.

You ran through the rugged terrain and saw Kai on a lower diagonal ledge from your position. An idea popped into your head, and an evil grin crept up your face. You took three arrows out of your quiver and loaded them into your bow. Your eyes then found three targets closest to his location that he hadn't hit yet and shot your arrows at them. The funny part was that you sent the arrows directly at his head.

"Hey, Kai!" you yelled, trying to get his attention. He turned his head around, and his eyes instantly widened. Instantly, he jumped out of the way onto another hill, allowing your arrows to pierce the centers of the three targets. You saw him scowl at you, but you only responded by making a halo with your hands and putting it over your head, smiling at him like an innocent little girl. You heard him growl, which made you laugh and jump onto another cliff. That'll teach you not to call me a poser! you thought. 

After a while, the loud voice interrupted the competition once again. "Tor, Lakeem, Greth, Qualo, Reka, Eric, Harmath, Zanther, Kora, and Kai have qualified for the next round. All other contestants must leave the arena immediately," it announced. Everyone stopped firing and went to the back wall once again. You followed their lead and made your way to the wall. At least thirty people were escorted out of the coliseum as some official-looking people took your bow and quiver away.

"These ten will compete tomorrow, but only five of them will be able to move on to the next round," the voice announced. "Wait, I thought that this competition thing was a one day deal?" you said to yourself. "Only for those who and can't get into the next round. Where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter