50

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't.” 

- Christopher Paolini, Eragon 

 

"Come on Lay!" Suho whinnied, pulling the other by the arm towards the dock. "No," the healer said sternly. For the past ten minutes, Suho had been attempting to lure the forest dweller into the water, but to no avail. Everyone stood upon a wooden dock that protruded from one of the edges of the city, except Kris, who had disappeared before you all let Suho's home. Suho's mother had mentioned something briefly about him going to get something. You had come to the realization while walking to you destination that you actually had not seen that many people within the city or in any of the buildings, which was rather strange considering that the city was quite expansive. Even at the dock you had only seen around five people. Where is everyone?

"Ugh! What are you worried about?" Suho asked, obviously annoyed by the other's resistance. Lay looked at him with an unamused expression. "Are you kidding me?" he muttered quietly, "How are we freaking supposed to go underwater? We aren't like you!" The others nodded their heads in agreement. "That is true," you heard Tao add. You weren't exactly sure what they were talking about, until you suddenly remember a special characteristic about the people of Harum. They were able to stay fully submerged in water for limited amounts of time, depending on how much core energy they could extract from the water and contain within themselves.

The sound of laughter snapped you back into reality. "Oh! You thought you were going to have to go down there without... Oh my goodness!" Suho howled in amusement. The rest of you stared at him with confused expressions. "What the heck is wrong with him?" Kai whispered to Luhan, who shrugged his shoulders. "What's so funny?" You asked, raising a brow at him. The scribe had finally managed to clam down after a few seconds. Wiping the nonexistent tears away from his face, he turned to Lay and grinned. "I'm sorry. That must have frightened you, especially considering you're of the tribe of Isacin," he began explaining, "Yes, we of the tribe of Harum have the genetic ability to breath underwater. But if you haven't noticed, this place is quite diverse in cultures."

"What are you getting at?" Tao asked, his arms crossed. Suho grinned at him. "What I'm trying to say, is that there are many people who live in the Western Sea of Makido, and that there is a way for even those who are not of our tribe to participate what happens beneath the surf." As he said this, you heard the sound of wind rushing from behind. All of you turned to see Kris flying down towards you, his hands full of a strange looking plant decorated with blossoms of blue and violate hues.

"Hey guys, what did I miss?" the messenger inquired as he landed before you. "Oh, just Suho trying to throw someone into the water. You know, the norm." Baekhyun said with a smirk. Kris looked at Suho, who motioned over to Lay. The healer was still staring into the water with uneasiness in his eyes. Kris sighed and shook his head before smacking Suho's shoulder. "Look how nervous Lay is! All thanks to you. You should be ashamed," Kris scolded. "I agree," Kai said, trying to hold in his laughter like the rest of you.

Suho frowned before breaking a blossom off the plant. He walked over to Lay and tapped his shoulder lightly, gaining his attention before handing him the flower. "Sorry man. I didn't mean to freak you out. I blame my bad short term memory," he chuckled, "Here. If you eat this you will be able to stay underwater for a while." The messenger stared at Suho before looking blankly at the flower. You couldn't tell what he was thinking because Lay's normal expression was pretty blank. The healer suddenly took the flower from the other's hand, whispering, "I forgive you." Suho beamed happily before patting his back with a bit to much force. But Lay didn't seem to mind. "All right people, this is what you have to do," Suho began.

You watched carefully as he instructed Lay to take each petal and delicately fold them into the center of the blossom. He then had Lay fold those halves once again long wise. The last thing Suho had him do is pinch all the sections together in the center with a decent amount of force. Once he had done that, you noticed that the petals began expanding, as if they were being blown up. The rest of the group followed his instructions quickly, and one by one, each of your flowers began expanding.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter