8

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The slow days drifted on, and each left behind a slightly lightened weight of apprehension.

 - Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

 

You were outside the Hall of Nefean, sharpening and practicing with your daggers. You took the last dagger between your index and middle fingers, brought it closely to your face just in front of your nose, and took your aim. You pulled your arm back and snapped it forward, releasing the dagger. It flew through the field and pierced the center of the tree. "Yes!" you said, very proud of your keen aim. "Kora?" someone asked. It was Suho.

You turned around and smiled at him. "You nervous?" he asked. "Pffft, me? No! I'm cool; it's all good here!" you said, your voice slightly cracking. He chuckled. "Yes, you are," he replied. You hung your head and nodded. "So, what-cha nervous about?" he asked you. "Everything. What if we don't find them in time? What happens then? And I'm still not convinced that I have inherited Alagorn's energy," you said uneasily as you walked to the tree to retrieve your daggers. Suho followed close behind you.

"Don't worry about it. You are Alagorn's Inheritor," he said confidently. You pulled out your daggers and turned to him, your eyebrows raised. "But how do you know?" you questioned. He grinned. "I just do," he said plainly, giving you a reassuring smile. He put a hand on your shoulder. "Come on, we have to leave soon. Kris is waiting for us at the messenger stables." You nodded.

You and Suho ran as fast as you could to the stables. As Suho said, Kris was there waiting for the both of you. "It's about time! Alright, let's get going," he said as he grabbed the satchel that you were carrying and secured it onto Aeyow's back where other bags of supplies were. "Hi, Aeyow! Did you miss me?" you asked playfully as you pet his nose. He gurgled and your face, making you giggle. "Come on, Kora, up you go," Kris said as he helped you up onto Aeyow's back.

"Hey! How come Kora gets to ride with you?" Suho whined. "Because I'm not going to let her ride a dragon with a scribe who gets sky crazy whenever he flies!" Kris laughed as he jumped onto Aeyow. "Sky crazy?" you asked curiously as Suho walked over to a stable and went inside. "Just watch; you'll see soon enough," Kris said.

Suho pulled the red dragon's reins to lead it out of its stable and pet its head. "Kora, this is Elam!" he said. You waved at the dragon; it glared at you and made a low growling noise, which made you flinch. The red dragon was nothing like Aeyow. "He'll get used to you; don't mind his attitude. He just hasn't been ridden in a while," Suho said as he got onto Elam's back.

It spread its wings, almost as if it was stretching, and rose into the air. "Well, we don't want to be outdone, now do we, Aeyow?" Kris said, ginning at the black dragon. Aeyow nodded his head and shot into the air to catch up with Suho and Elam. You still loved the exhilaration of flying on a dragon.

"YAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" Suho yelled as he sent himself and Elam into a series of backflips and aerial spins. You and Kris laughed at the sight of Suho's flying. "He... doesn't get out much," Kris chuckled as you two flew on. "I wish I could fly a dragon!" you said, Kris turned and looked at you with raised eyebrows. "Not that flying with you isn't fun!" you told him, trying to take back what you had said. He smirked. "You wanna fly a dragon? You got it!" he said.

What does he mean by that- Kris immediately let go of Aeyow's reins and handed them to you. "Kris, what are you - KRIS!" you screamed as Kris smiled and leaned back into the air, making him fall off Aeyow's back and plummet down through the clouds. "KRIS!!!!" you called; you couldn't believe what he had just done! "Don't lose control or you'll fall off, Kora!" Suho called to you from Elam.

You grabbed the reins and pulled on them with medium strength, making sure that you had a good amount of control over the dragon, but not so much to where you were choking him. Aeyow make another purring noise; he seemed to like your hold on him, which made you feel good. "Looks like you've got everything under control," a voice said. "Thanks. Wait... KRIS?!?!?!?!?!" you yelled in suprise. He grinned at you. "Yes?"

"Kris! I thought you were going to die!!! You fell off and... YOU FELL OFF!!! BUT YOU'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter