29

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."

- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926), The Happy Life, 1896

 

You followed Baekhyun through the various tunnels; each one was lit with that beautiful blue light that entranced you so much. If you had not had a guide to follow, you would have definitely gotten lost within the underground city. There were too many tunnels and pathways one could follow. You walked with your companions down a busy road; merchants were selling food and beautifully crafted crystal objects. Everything there seemed so peaceful, enchanted almost.

Children ran past you, laughing as they chased each other while on the other side, a couple was looking at a pair of rings intently. You assumed they were to be married soon. The bustling people seemed to walk with a spring in their steps, without a care in the world. "Isn't it marvelous?" Baekhyun asked. It took a few seconds for you to realize that he was talking to you. Upon realizing this, you looked at him. "Yes. Everyone seems so... happy and excited," you marveled.

"Of course they are! We are celebrating one hundred years of peace for our city and also the celebration of crowning our Princess as our new Queen!" he answered excitedly. "Everyone is getting ready for the coronation." You heard Kris hum, and not a melodic hum. It was a hum you hear when he was thinking very hard. "The woman we saw before... is the Princess?" he inquired. "Yes, I call her Queen because her coronation is near, and I would like to pay my respect to her," Baekhyun explained. "Their bloodline has done so much for our people."

"I see," you said as you continued looking around while following him. Everything looked spectacular. "Look up there," Baekhyun said, "Those are some of my friends putting lights up!" You followed his gaze and looked up. Crystal lanterns were being hung from the mouth of the cave, but they were so far away. They looked more like small moving stars against a black sky.

"How can they be so high up?!?" Luhan gasped as he watched the lights move from one end of the "sky" to another. "A few of us can climb the walls, and even fewer can do it without fear of falling off," Baekhyun chuckled. You saw Kris from the corner of your eye, staring at Baekhyun with analyzing eyes. "Oh, look! There's my house!" Baekhyun said.

He suddenly grabbed your hand and pulled you along with him. "Come on! I want to show you my house!" he exclaimed happily as he ran down the road and up a cave hill. "S-Slow down! You're running too fast!" you squeaked as he pulled you. He didn't listen to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter