16

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well, I don't have much competition here." 
"You don't have much competition anywhere.”

-  Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

 

"Well, it's about time. Did you get your beauty sleep, Outsider?" Greth mocked as you walked over towards the other competitors. "Actually, I spent all morning thinking about the different ways I can kill you. But since I'm such a kind-hearted person, I won't. If I wasn't, you'd be on the floor right now," you sang, giving him one of your innocent smiles as you made your way to the benches and sat down at the far end, away from everyone else.

Greth grunted at you, turned his head towards the others, and continued his conversation. You smirked and looked up in the stands, looking for Luhan, Kris, and Suho. They were sitting in the same seats as yesterday. Kris waved at you, Luhan gave you a thumbs-up, and Suho held up his notebook and pen. You rolled your eyes at Suho and turned your head back towards the arena.

"Hey," said a familiar voice. You met eyes with Kai as he walked over and sat down next to you. "Hi," you replied. "How are you?" he asked. "I'm fine. Whoa! Are you okay?!?!?" you gasped. Kai had a large scar on his left cheek and bruises on his forehead and his bottom lip. There were dark bags underneath his eyes. "Not so well. But I'll be fine soon," he told you, giving you a reassuring smile. 

"Hey, Kai!" the annoying voice of Greth called. Kai sighed and turned his head to face Greth. "What do you want, Greth?" he asked grudgingly. "Word on the street is that it was another hell of a night at your house!" he laughed. Kai growled at him, making Greth snicker. "You're pathetic, you know that?" "Save your breath! You won't have it for very long anyway," you shot at him, chuckling darkly.

"Shut up, you Outsider!" Greth spat as he walked away to the other side of the competitors. You turned back to Kai's smiling face. "You sure you'll be okay for the tournament?" you asked, your eyes still lingering on his bruises. "I'll be fine. Trust me," he answered. You smiled back and nodded your head before the loud horn rung through the arena, announcing the beginning of the next round. 

"Contestants, please make your way to the back to receive your weapons," the ominous voice commanded. You followed its instructions and walked to the back wall. There, you were greeted by the same official-looking men who handed you your bow and quiver from the day before. "Now that we have narrowed down the number of competitors, each remaining contestant has a choice between choosing one crossbow, one javelin, or knives and daggers for the second part of the tournament," said the announcer.

One of the arena officials hit the side of the wall with his fist. The wall opened up to reveal a long array of weapons. You immediately went for a bundle of daggers and put the larger daggers on my belt and the smaller ones in your cuff holders. You noticed that most of the contestants chose javelins like Greth or crossbows like Kai. It made sense though; Kai was really good with a bow and arrow.

“Arena commencing,” the voice boomed as another man ran to the side of the arena and moved his hands in a strange pattern. Suddenly, trees and plants shot out of the ground, creating a vast jungle inside the coliseum. “There are targets throughout the foliage. Find them before someone else does. Disability is enabled in this round,” the voice announced. You tilted your head and looked at Kai for an explanation. “Disability?” you asked.

“We are allowed to injure or ‘disable’ each other,” Kai said with a grim look on his face. Your eyes widened. This wasn’t on the flyer! Your eyes then gazed over at Greth. He had a malicious look on his face as he stabbed his javelin head into the ground and pointed at you and Kai. You started to feel nervous. “Are deaths allowed in these games?” you asked. Kai shook his head. “No, but they used to.” You sighed in relief.

“But these competitions can scar you for life, so remember your promise,” Kai said as he turned his head towards you. You nodded, knowing that he was referring to when you promised you’d be careful the evening before. “So, what reputation does Greth have?” you asked after seeing Greth growl and frighten one of the other contestants. “Him? He’s won every competition for the past 7 years,” Kai answered.

“Well, I think it’s time for someone to break his record. And that person is going to be me!” you said, smirking. “Not so fast! This is my first time competing too, and if anyone is going to beat Greth, it’s going to be me!” Kai bantered back. “I’d like to see you try!” you laughed. Kai laughed and patted your head. “Just watch, pretty girl.” You shook your head to get his hand off of you. “Stop calling me that!" You stuck your tongue out at him and laughed.

“Tournament

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter