43

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.” 

- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack

[If you're confused. Reference back to chapters 10 and 14-15] 

 

"I think it's best if we move as quickly as possible," Kris insisted, "There is no telling what may happen if we do not make haste." "And what of the Inheritor?" Suho interjected, "I would be the first person to jump at the idea of returning to my homeland, but I question whether this is the proper time to leave."

Everyone had been called to a meeting by the two leaders to discuss the dream you had two nights ago. Kris was in favor of departing as soon as Luhan was awake, which would be soon according to the reports Lay had given to you. Suho, on the other hand, leaned towards remaining with the tribe of Isacin till the true inheritor had been identified. The two had been arguing and debating with one another for an extended amount of time up to this point, and you were getting annoyed in all honesty. No progress was being made.

Sitting cross legged on the ground beside Suho, you looked over to your left. While Tao was quietly listening to the leaders, inserting a comment every once in a while, Kai and Baekhyun had become bored of the conversation. Baekhyun shot minute spheres of light across the forest floor, laughing as a couple of lizards chased after it thinking it was an insect. "They're so stupid!" He laughed quietly. Kai had collected a rather large array of flowers, of a variety of colors and shapes.

As you stared at him, his gaze turned and locked with yours. You smiled at him and waved him over to sit beside you, which he quickly obliged. Kai copied your position and crossed his legs as he sat to your right. "Hey," you whispered, not wanting to interrupt the leaders' conversation. "Hey yourself," He answered with a grin. You then glanced at the flowers in his hand before raising an eyebrow at him. "Who are the flowers for?" You asked. Kai looked at the flora in his hand, softly smiling as he answered, "Ah, I wanted to send these to Kaylee, back in Ordea." You nodded your head, remembering the adorable little twins.

"I think she'd like that a lot. I'm sure she and Zane miss you very much." You rested your hand on top of his, holding it firmly. He looked back and you. "And it's okay to miss them, you know. There's nothing wrong or unmanliy about that." You added. Kai's lips twisted upward, eyes cheerfully looking at you before glancing down at your hand on his. "Thank you Kora... for being there fore me," He said. "You're welcome." You breathed quietly. You could tell that this had pressing his mind for a while. "And you shouldn't worry either," Kai said.

You tilted your head. "What do you mean?" You asked him. Kai removed his hand from yours. He gathered a few flowers from his pile and began to laced them, intertwining them into one long line. "It's okay to hear things in dreams and such. Just because it's not common does not mean you're the only one..." His voice trailed off as he linked the end of the flower line together. Kai tied the last knot before looking at you with a playful grin on his face. You eyed him suspiciously before he suddenly placed the ciricle of flowers on your head, softly whispering, "You're not the only one who hears from the spiritual realm. Don't be afraid." 

You stared at him, astonished by his words. He knew. You hadn't said a word to anyone, and yet he knew. He knew you were frightened by the voices you heard and the dreams you had experienced. And not only that, but he himself had experienced similar encounters. He tilted his head playfully at you, wiggling his eyebrows. "You look very lovely in that crown, pretty girl," He said, half serious and half teasingly. You scrunched your nose and punched his shoulder lightly, causing him to pretend to fall over in pain. "I told you to stop calling me that!" "Ouch! Pretty girl punched me! My arm is bruised now!" He quietly shrieked. You laughed as he continued the theatrics and fake sobbed.

You two had grown close. Perhaps it was because your ancestors were blood covenant brothers, the closest bond any friendship could have. You could recall reading about their historical battles against the forces of the Shade back when you were around ten years old. Their relationship had always fascinated you, and even more so now that you had identified yourself as Alagorn's inheritor and Kai as Nakka's. You were staring to believe that your friendship was three-fourths part due to circumstances and personality, and one-fourth part because of your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter