17

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy  

"Kora?" a voice whispered. Your eyes shot open in an instant. "Where am I?!?" you asked, thrashing around in a panic. "Calm down! It's okay, Kora!" the voice comforted. You looked up and saw Kai smiling at you. "Why aren't we in the competition?!?! Where's everyone?!?! How-" you questioned. "You passed out because you were losing too much blood from your shoulder. You should have bound it with something to prevent the bleeding from getting so severe," he scolded, shaking his head with a disappointed look on his face. "Sorry," you replied in a hushed tone.

That's when you realized that you were in an unfamiliar place. "Where are we?" you asked as you looked around the room. It was pretty beat up, and that was coming from someone who lives in houses at the bottom of a valley. The walls and ceiling looked worn down and a bit moldy, and the floor was stained with what you assumed to be soot. Kai rubbed the back of his neck uneasily. "Um... we're in my house," he answered shyly.

"Oh... It's very cozy!" you said, smiling. You decided to compliment his house instead of saying it looked run down. And you were being completely honest. It did, in fact, have a very cozy atmosphere. It reminded you of your home back in the Valley of Eliade. Kai gave you a weak smile. "I'm serious! It is!" you insisted happily. A thought popped into your mind. "Um... Do you live by yourself-"

"KAI, KAI, KAI, KAI, KAI!!!! IS THE PRETTY LADY AWAKE YET?!?!?!?!" a high-pitched, female voice yelled. "CAN WE SEE HER NOW!?!?!?!" added another voice; this one was a high-pitched and squeaky male voice. "HEY! WHAT DID I TELL YOU TWO ABOUT YELLING IN THE HOUSE???" Kai scolded. "BUT YOU'RE YELLING IN THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW!" the female voice retorted. "IT'S DIFFERENT WHEN I DO IT!" Kai yelled back. "NO, IT'S NOT!" the male voice insisted. "DO YOU GUYS WANT TO ARGUE ALL DAY? OR DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE PRETTY GIRL OVER HERE?" Kai called. "YAY!!!" the two voices cheered in unison.

You heard two pairs of feet running to the room you were in. The door flew open, and in ran a little boy and a little girl, both grinning adorably. "Kora, this is my brother Zane and my sister Kaylee. Zane, Kaylee, this is Kora," Kai introduced. "Hiya, pretty lady Kora!" Zane greeted happily, giving you a small wave. "Pretty Kora lady, can you tell we're twins?" Kaylee asked. She pulled herself next to Zane so that you could compare their faces.

"Hmmmm... Not really. You both look really cute, but in different ways," you answered honestly. They didn't look alike much. The only similarity that they and Kai had was their eyes. "Yeah, we get that a lot!" Zane replied, smiling. Suddenly, another question formed in your head. "Wait, how did I get to your house? How long has it been since the competition? Where's Kris, Suho, and Luhan?!?!" you asked, slightly panicked. "You didn't know? Brother telesported you here about five hours ago," Kaylee explained. "It's teleported, Kaylee," Zane corrected. "Oh... oops." 

"Wait... He what?!?" you said in shock, your eyes darting up towards Kai. He rubbed the back of his neck and gave an uneasy chuckle. "Brother is super cool! He can go like 'ZAP!' And he's gone! And then he can go 'ZAP' again and he's back!!!" Kaylee said excitedly. "Really?" you asked Kai. "Uh... yeah," he answered. "Oh, then, um, thank you." "No problem," he answered, still not making eye contact with you.

"Brother, why are you acting so awkward?" Zane asked. Kai shook his head as if his thoughts were interrupted. "What? Oh... HEY! I'm not awkward!" Kai grumbled. "Yes, you are!" Kaylee agreed. "No, I'm not!" Kai insisted frowning. "Yes, you are!" Zane replied. "No, I'm not!!!" Kai said, raising his voice. "YES, YOU ARE!" the twins yelled in unison. Zane and Kaylee stuck their tongues out at their older brother. "That's it! Come here, you two!"

"Ahhhhhhh!" they both screamed as they ran out of the room. "You'll never get me alive!" Kaylee yelled as you heard a door slam; muffled giggling shortly followed. "And that's how you get them into their room!" Kai laughed. You laughed along with him. "They're adorable!" you told him. He smiled at you. "Yeah, they can a bit of a handful though," he said. "I HEARD THAT!" Zane called through the hallway. Kai chuckled. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO!" he replied.

"Did you tell them to call me that?" you asked him, smirking. "Call you what?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow. "Pretty lady?" you said. He grinned and shook his head. "Nope, they just think you're pretty! That's it," he laughed. You blushed lightly. No one really called you that at home, and if they did, it was in the context of a joke. You shook off your embarrassment and looked back at Kai.

"So it's just you and them?" you asked him. You heard Kai hold his breath for a second. "Us and my dad. My mom passed away eight years ago," he said quietly. Your eyes widened. "Oh... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought that up," you whispered, knowing quite well from Kai's expression that this was a very sensitive subject. He shook his head. "No, it's okay." He bit his bottom lip before smiling. "I saw you take Greth out; nice job!" he said, changing the subject.

"Thanks. Wait... DID YOU TAKE ME HERE WHILE THE CONTEST WAS STILL GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!?" you asked. "You were really hurt," he replied. Your jaw dropped. "B-But that means you forfeited!" you exclaimed. "Yeah." "You shouldn't have done that," you whispered, feeling terrible for being the reason he couldn't compete. "It's okay." He tried to reassure you. "But you could have won if it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter