9

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Shoes!" said the Magpie, seeing Meggie's bare toes peep out from under the hem of the dress. "Didn't anyone think of shoes?"
"She could put those on." The maid pointed to Meggie's worn-out sneakers.
"The dress is long enough, no one will see them. Anyway, don't witches always go barefoot?" The Magpie gave her such a look that her voice died on her lips.

- Cornelia Funke, Inkheart 

 

"Why can't I wear a hood, shirt, and pants like you guys?" you whined as Kris and Suho came out of the dressing rooms. Kris was wearing a very sophisticated-looking outfit with a simple black mask, and Suho was wearing an outfit which was somewhat similar, but with a white, blue, and gold checkered mask. 

"Because, GuRan HaMi requires all ladies to wear dresses. And we wouldn't want to break that tradition, now would we?" Suho said. You sighed and nodded. One of the dressmakers left her sewing station and walked towards you. "Miss, your dress is ready. You may try it on in one of the rooms. I hope it is to your liking!" she said, smiling. "Oh, thank you," you answered her as you walked into the dressing room. 

At first, you had trouble putting it on because you had never actually worn a dress before. There really wasn't a need for girls like you to wear such things in the valley. That was mostly because girls like you were in charge of fighting and capturing beasts if your village was attacked.

After you put the dress on, you walked out of the dressing room to get Kris's and Suho's opinions. You thought your outfit was the most beautiful thing you had ever laid eyes on. The gown's silky white layers seemed to flow like a waterfall and were trimmed with a purple-gray lace. The dressmaker had also made long, slender wings to match your dress. In addition, your mask was light gold, which branched out into feathers of the same white color as your gown.

"Wow..." Suho said, wide eyed. You frowned. "I look pretty weird, huh?" you chuckled uneasily. They shook their heads. "No, it looks good on you," Kris said reassuringly. "If you say so..." you murmured. "But I'm going to wear my normal clothes and shoes underneath!"

The young dressmaker giggled at your declaration. "I'll be paying for her dress as well," Kris said as he took out his coin bag and handed her two silver coins and one gold one. The girl's eyes widened. "Thank you, sir!" she said excitedly. Normally, you would have opposed the idea of him paying for you. However, you hadn't any money with you, so you just went with it and let him pay.

After Kris, Suho, and you had changed out of your new costumes and put them back in your inn rooms, you all decided to walked around a bit to see everyone getting ready for the festival. It was exciting for you because you hadn't had the chance to explore much of Orcana before. You all walked around a few streets and saw tents and stages being set in the town square. You assumed that they were for the attractions and the performers.

"I can't wait for tonight! Kor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter