54

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

- Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

 

"Whoa," Luhan gasped quietly. "Whoa is right," Kai said with a nod as they both stared at the humongous structure before them. The Great Library was white and stood at the center of the city, adorned with what appeared to be strange writings on it. A language was engraved into each wall of the building, drawing everyone closer to get a better look at them. "Is this... Yenyueh?" Tao asked as he reached his hand out to touch one of the carved words. "It is," Suho answered, "All children from Harum are taught in school to read the and speak the tongue of the ancients."

"I see," Tao muttered under his breath, eyes fixed on the engravings. "This is pretty incredible. How old is this building?" you asked as you viewed the detailed architecture. "Over several hundred I believe," Oric said as he moved towards the door? "Even from the tribe's days of origin, our people have desired to record all that happens in Athosia so that nothing may be forgotten." "Because if we forget our mistakes, we are bound make them again," Lay whispered, causing everyone else to turn and look at him. Suho nudged him with a playfully grin, "That is absolutely right."

"Shall we head inside?" Oric said as he pulled the large double doors open. You stepped across a straight pathway before getting to the room. It reminded you very much of a temple from your homeland. The roof was a large dome that was also covered in Yenyueh scripts. At the apex of the dome you could see beautiful windows formed into the shape of a giant lotus. And as you drew closer to the center, a replica lotus came into view. The only difference between the two was its location, the center of the floor. The inside was much larger that you had anticipated. And its atmosphere was completely different from the Archive of the Ancients back in Yewlen. Its air was fresh, crisp, and a bit salty due to the ocean breeze that blown inside. Hundreds of large shelves were evenly spaced all around the building.

Another aspect of the walls that you noticed was the cascades of water flowing from the outside. There was a ring of space between the actual walls of the building and the platform on which you stood. A large circle of water rested around the solid surface of the library. It was as if you were standing on an island in the middle of sea. Several openings in the marble walls where ocean water washed in and out of the building were visible. And the water coming and going created a soft tidal sounds, making the atmosphere of the room even more peaceful. You leaned over the edge of the island, looking down at the water, allowing you to spot several schools of orange fish swimming around. "Wow," you whispered as you watched them glide through the water.

"Hundreds of years of history, all contained within these very walls," Kris said breathlessly, "It is such an honor to be here again." "Indeed it is," Oric stated as he turned to the rest of you, "The leadership of Harum, in their wisdom, directed me to bring you here; the place where everything we know about the past has been preserved." You nodded your head. "Sounds like a good place for an interesting revelation to be found," you said. Striding over to one of the shelves, Tao carefully took a large book and began flipping through it.

"What are supposed to be looking for again?" he inquired, coughing a bit due to some dust getting into his nose. "I was told by the woman in my vision that we are supposed to look for a secret to the past, which only the tribe of Harum hold," you told him as you took a book and followed his lead. "That doesn't really help us now does it?" Kai sighed as he looked around at some of the strange relics displayed. "Its all we have to go on, so start looking," Kris said, nudging the other in the side before tuning to another shelf to start looking.

You made your way over to a shelf and looked through the titles of the books. "The Records of the Tribe of Iren," you read aloud. Till that moment you were not aware that such records concerning your tribe existed. Opening one of the books, you skimmed though its pages. But after finding nothing interesting you returned it to its place and looked at the other shelves around it. The section you were in appeared to be filled with writings about every tribe within Athosia. Just the thought that people spent their lives recording the events that took place within tribes that were not their own amazed you. You looked through many books from each tribes' shelf, only to be disappointed. Nothing in any of the books seemed to infer some kind of "key to the past." As you came to the end of that particular area of the library, something interesting occurred to you. There isn't a shelf about the tribe of Trema. Why is that?

 

A couple hours of searching passed before Baekhyun couldn't take it any longer. "Ugh! We're not getting anywhere at this rate!" he groaned in annoyance, "I am so tempted to throw these books into the water!" "YOU WOULDN'T DARE!" Suho yelled, glaring at the other with deadly eyes. "I would! Maybe the fish would get smarter or something," Baekhyun grumbled as he slammed a book back into the shelf. "Baekhyun's right though," Kai sighed exasperatedly, "We are making no progress searching this way. There are thousands of books in here. We can't waste our time searching each one." Luhan raised his hand and added, "I second that! I have like seven paper cuts. No more books." Kris sighed and nodded his head. "And I don't think you will find it in a book," Oric said as you all regrouped around one of the open tables in the library, "The maintenance of all these books are kept up by our librarians, translators, scribes. If something was discovered within the texts someone would have already reported it."

"This seems so pointless," Tao grumbled as he cracked his neck to the side. You stayed silent, thinking hard about what you were to do next. Suddenly, your gaze was met by Lay's, who was staring intensely at you. "Lay, is something wrong?" you asked, moving closer to him. He shook his head, that intense look still on his face. You tilted your head. "Then what is it?" you asked. He was silent for a few more seconds, before he answered, "What if, we aren't looking for something in a book?" You couldn't help but be oblivious as to what he was talking about. "What?"

"I mean... the secret laying within a book would be to obvious considering we're in a library," he stated. Lay's eyes floated aimlessly across the shelves. "Hm," Oric hummed, his eyes flickering in interest. "He does make a valid point," Tao agreed, "We should start looking at the things in this room that aren't books." Luhan smiled and pumped his fist in the air. "Yes! No books!" With that said, everyone disbursed themselves throughout the library. You passed some tightly packed bookshelves before looking at several diagram displays as well as a couple of sculptures, but to no avail. You couldn't find anything that seemed like a hidden "secret." 

Sighing, you trudged your way over to the sides where the water started. You sat down and looked the ripples being created by the swimming fish, letting your legs dangle and almost touch the top of the water. Kai averted his gaze form a painting and looked at you. He could tell you felt a sense of defeat from the slouching of your shoulders. So he made his way over, walking quietly to try and sneak up behind you. Leaning his face down so he was right by your ear, he whispered "What are you thinking?" You jolted at the unexpected breath on your ears and moved away quickly. "Frick, don't do that," you yelped, pushing his face away in annoyance. He raised an eyebrow at you, smirking. "Why?"  You rolled your eyes at him and he chuckled. Kai always found your startled expression humorous. "You're stupid," you mutter, turning your eyes back to the water. He chuckled and sat beside you.

"Hey, what's troubling my covenant friend, hm?" he asked, freezing when he realized what he had said. Your head turned quickly to face him. He bit his lower lip, trying to read your expression. "You know we don't have to be covenant friends just because our predecessors were," you said, searching his eyes for a response. With a sigh, you brushed your hair out of your face. Being a blood covenant friend was an enormous responsibility for both people. Some argued that it was even stronger than marriage, which you highly doubted. But they were right in the sense that there was a life dependency involved. You had heard stories of one person of covenant going through immense depression and thoughts of suicide after the death of the other. Blood covenants were terrifying and not to be taken lightly.

"I know," Kai whispered. He didn't want the others to hear your conversation. "We haven't even done the ritual or a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter