19

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.” 

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

"So, that thing took my dad," Kai said coldly. You, Kris, Suho, and Luhan had just returned to Orcana a few hours ago. Once you had arrived, you ran to the Hall of Nefean as fast as you could in search of Kai and his siblings. Thankfully, they were all safe. Council member BoA was taking care of Kaylee and Zane while the other council members had a discussion with Kai. You found him just as he was leaving the Council Room and then met up with the others in the Great Library.

"Yes. I'm very sorry, Kai," Kris said with a grim face. "I don't understand; how is his dad gone?" you asked, extremely confused. This doesn't make any sense! "The Shade created Skrill by taking the core energy of humans. Core energy is our life source, so if we had no core energy, there would be no life in Athosia," Suho began as he continued to put books away onto their proper shelves. "So in order for the people to still live, the Shade gave them a different type of energy which could turn them into Skrill. They have the attributes of their alternative form; therefore, they are also able to take the core energy from other beings."

"As far as history shows, Skrill usually feed on small amounts of energy. But if their prey is weak enough, they will take all its energy," Kris said. Now you understood. "So these things aren't just creepy, but they're pesticides too. Who knows what would happen to Athosia if there were thousands of those things flying around taking core energy?" Luhan said, shuddering for a brief moment. You stood up and slammed your fist down onto a nearby table.

"Well, I'm not going to let anyone find out! I'm going to close that gate if it's the last thing-" you began before getting shushed by the people inside the library, including Suho. You mouthed 'sorry" before you sat back down in your seat and finished your speech. "-If it's the last thing I do," you whispered. "No one should have to go through that same thing."

Your voice drifted off when you noticed Kai rubbing his right wrist with his left hand. As you looked closer, you noticed that there was a strange symbol on his wrist. "Um... Could you please stop staring?" Kai asked you uneasily. You snapped back into reality and looked at him. "Oh! I'm sorry!" you apologized, bowing your head. "Haha, it's fine," he laughed awkwardly. You chuckled, but your gaze drifted down to your wrists. You adjusted your dagger holders to look underneath. Nothing.

"Don't worry about it, Kora. Symbol or no symbol, you're one of us," Luhan reassured, giving you his signature smile as he held your hand. You nodded and gave him a light smile back. "So... We need to find the others and close the gate," Kai said, a strange sharpness in his voice. "That is correct," Kris answered. "Let's get going then," Kai said, straightening his posture after leaning against a bookshelf. "We'll take Aeyow and two steeds. We don't need three dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter