Our Limp Hearts

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 30 December 2008

 

We just finished our performance at KBS Gayo Daejun. I wipe the rolling sweat on my forehead; I've been sweating a lot more than normal because I'm down with a really bad flu. Winter has really taken its toll on me. The bottle in my hand is slowly getting filled up with hot water. Come on, you water dispenser! Why are you so slow? I need to go back to my dressing room quick before I run into him again! I'm still silently scolding the damn slow water dispenser when a voice booms in the hallway, giving me a shock, "Ga-In noona! Long time no see! How are you?" I look up and see Seungri striding towards me with his arms opened wide. I hold out my hand, motioning him not to come any closer, "stay there! I'm having a bad flu. You might get it, too, if you stand too close." He frowns worriedly, "ok, noona. So that answers my question, then. You're not well..." Chuckling, I shrug, "it's just a flu, Seungri ya, I'll get over it in a matter of days." 

 

"Oh, by the way, I watched your solo performance earlier, you were daebak!" I put my thumb up. He giggles, "thank you, noona. Brown Eyed Girls did great, too. But, is your leg ok now? I mean..." "It's ok, Seungri ya. It wasn't that bad, so I'm alright," I smile warmly at his concerned look. I fell while performing because the stage was wet and slippery; to be honest, my leg is killing me, but I don't want to fuss about it and make my unnies worried.

 

"it's good, then, noona. I need to go back to my dressing room now, or else Nam-Gook hyung will be looking for me. Big Bang will go on the stage later, watch us, ok? Get well soon," Seungri says before he starts walking away. We both wave our hands and I start limping off to my dressing room. I'm not having any luck today. I've been going back and forth to refill my hot water, our dressing room is at the end of the hallway; on top of that, my sore leg is making it worse.

 

"Noona," a voice calls out from behind me. I shut my eyes; oh crap, that voice... the voice I've been missing and been dreading to hear for the past 3 months. I want to run off, but it's obviously impossible with my condition. Having no choice, I turn around and try my best to smile, "annyeonghaseyo, Ji-Yong ssi." Yes, it's back to Ji-Yong ssi now. We haven't spoken in 3 months, so we're basically strangers again. Brown Eyed Girls and Big Bang crossed paths a few times during those 3 months, but I always succeded in hiding myself from him. I guess today really isn't my lucky day, huh? 

 

Taking a good look at the guy in front of me, I notice something different about him from the last time we saw each other. Yes, on my birthday, when I ran into him at MBC studio. He looks thinner, and even though he has makeup on, I can still see the bags under his eyes. Has he not been taking care of himself? Did someone hurt him? Omo, did I hurt him? I didn't, right? I texted him that night, but he never replied, so I thought he didn't want to anything to do with me anymore. I miss him, though, very much...

 

"How are you?" he asks softly, his eyes are looking deep into mine. I divert my gaze around the hallway and answer him, "I'm very well, thanks. Uh... how are you?" He smiles slightly, "your throaty voice is far from well, noona..." He noticed that? Does he still remember my voice? How could he notice that it's different from usual? "Does your leg still hurt?" he asks again. Damn, he must've watched my performance. "Ah, aniyo. It doesn't hurt," I tell him. His eyebrows wrinkle, "why were you limping, then?" Gaaah~ he saw that, too? What is he, a security camera? I sigh before answering, "err... Well, it hurts, but only a little. I don't--"

 

"Omo, Ga-In ah! There you are! I've been looking all over for you!" Kyung-Sun unnie exclaims as she runs closer to us. "Oh! Annyeonghaseyo, Kwon Ji-Yong ssi!" she tilts her head down. Ji-Yong greets her and bows back. "Mianhae, unnie, I was walking back to the dressing room and ran into--" "Kwenchana, Ga-In ah. I've found you now, so it's all good," she smiles. She's carrying my bag and coat with her, which is stranger. Why does she have my things with her? I point at her hands, "unnie, why--" "Oh, I called another driver to come here. Our driver can take you home now. I've talked to the PD, and he said it's ok if you don't appear at the final bow down." I gape at her explanation; I don't want to do that, it will seem unprofessional. "Kyung-Sun unnie, I'm fine. There's no need to--" I try to explain, but she interrupts, "yah, Son Ga-In! You've been sick for over a week, and I know your leg hurts. You think I didn't see how bad you fell earlier? Don't argue with me." I sigh after I listen to her scolding. She said it in her it's-my-way-or-the-highway tone, meaning I won't be able to argue with that.

 

"We need to go now, Ga-In ah. The van is waiting outside. We need to be quick, though, because I have to go back to your unnies," Kyung-Sun unnie says. Ok, unnie, take me away from here now so I don't have to see him anymore! My eyes feel so warm already, I'm afraid I'm going to tear up soon... "Kyung-Sun ssi, I can take her there," Ji-Yong says and holds his hand out, trying to reach for my bag. "You can? Really? That'll be a great help," Kyung-Sun unnie smiles widely while passing him my things. What? Nooo! Kyung-Sun unnie, what are you doing?! I'm still screaming incoherently in my head when Kyung-Sun unnie turns her head at me, "Ga-In ah, Ji-Yong ssi will take you, ok? Take your meds and drink lots of water!" She ruffles my head and looks at Ji-Yong, "thanks a lot, Ji-Yong ssi, I appreciate your help." My mouth is still agape when I see her storming away. "Are you sure you can walk?" Ji-Yong asks. "Yeah, I'm sure," I mumble without looking at him. With every last bit of energy left inside my body, I try my best to walk properly, not wanting him to see me limp again. 

 

We both walk down the hallway and greet the few people we see on the way. Man, how long is this hallway? I feel like I've been walking for a mile and my leg is getting more painful by each step I take. "I'll carry you on my back," Ji-Yong squats down in front of me. "What? No! No, it's ok, I can walk," I scoff as I keep walking. I hear him breathe out a heavy sigh before he stands back up and walks beside me. "You should go back to your dressing room, Ji-Yong ssi, give me my bag and coat," I stick my hand out. He sighs again, "noona, it's already hard enough for you to walk. And this bag is heavy, what do you have in here, rocks?" 

 

We continue walking in silence and finally reach the back door. Ji-Yong opens the door for me, I get out and he trails behind. My van is already waiting. The last challenge to face now is the flight of stairs in front of me. How am I supposed to go down there? Aish!

 

All of a sudden, Ji-Yong scoops me up in his arms, making me yelp in shock. I try to wiggle out of his embrace, but fail. "You're going to fall again if you keep doing that," he whispers. I stop moving and look around. I thank the heavens when I see no one in sight. Ji-Yong starts walking down the stairs, and soon, we get to my van. "Ga-In noona, I'm coming over to your place tomorrow. I don't know if you have any schedule, but I'm free all day. I'll come in the morning. I'm good friends with your neighbour now, so they'll let me in, and I'll wait by your door until you agree to talk to me," he utters and then slides the car door open. He gently puts me in my seat and buckles the seatbelt for me. Before I even get to say thanks, he says goodnight and shuts the door. 

 

 

 

 

 

______________

Author's Note:

Didn't proofread and couldn't be bothered, kekeke~ Enjoy... Ppyong!