Chapter 7: Midnight Practice

The Heartbreakers

 

The night was long. Seohyun changed into her sweatshirt and comfortable pants and rubber shoes. Her other sisters came with her towards the training hall before midnight. There were off to stretch some muscles. Funny that vampires don’t sleep and they work 24/7.

“Where’s Sica-unnie?” YoonA asked while popping her knuckles as they were walking on their way to the hall.

“Who knows maybe she’s forcing her vampire-self on sleeping.” Yuri answered as she jogged past Yoona. Yoona pouted at her answer finding it senseless.

“That lazy sister of yours.” Sooyoung said as she lazily walked beside Seohyun who chuckled at her sisters cursing Jessica’s lack of interest in doing things that can be called ‘work out’. Sooyung gave Seohyun a weird look.

“Jessica unnie has a late night ‘work’. I dropped her off at a bar.” Seohyun shared.

“Oh, and what did you do to my darling?” Sooyoung asked about her motorcycle that she treasured the most in her present life.

“She harassed it to death.” Jessica suddenly appeared behind Seohyun and Sooyoung and walked past them.

“Unnieeee~~” Seohyun whined like a baby. “I did not do anything could have left a scratch on the motorcycle.”

“You. Did. Not.” Sooyoung stopped on her tracks and pointed at Seohyun.

“Unnie, of course not!” Seohyun smiled innocently as she was. “Sica-unnie! Take back what you said!” She ran towards Jessica and tugged on her dress. Sica just chuckled and Sooyoung got that Jessica was just kidding when she said Seohyun had done something bad to her precious motorcycle.

“It’s okay,” Sooyoung caught up with her sisters. “Just hunt me some bloody deer next time.” She chuckled at her own request to the maknae. She can perfectly imagine the sweetness of a deer’s blood running down on . But she wasn’t that hungry at the moment. She’s off to enjoy the night with her sisters. And maybe try to sweat down their cold lifeless bodies.

Seohyun couldn’t turn down her sister’s request so she just smiled and continued on their tracks to the training hall.

 

When they reached the huge hall, everybody settled their things on the benches and chairs on the sides.

“Towel. Extra towel. And one more extra towel.” Hyoyeon brought out three towels of different colors from her mini sports bag.

Sunny laughed at her, “Pfft. As if we’ll be sweating that hard!”

“Well who knows what miracle is waiting for us.” Hyoyeon said and even took out an extra shirt from her bag and waved it at Sunny who ended up laughing more at Hyoyeon.

The two continued throwing jokes on each other when they heard a sound of heels clatter against the wooden floor. Their heads turned to the person who just came inside.

It was Jessica on her dress and five-inch red pumps.

“What?” Jessica hissed at the two girls looking at her from head to toe. Taeyeon came inside the room too followed by the other girls.

“You’re not going to work out on that skimpy dress and extremely high heels, are you?” Sunny asked her sister who walked towards one of the chairs.

“Pssh. Who said I’m going to work out???” Jessica sat on a chair and crossed her legs. The eight girls inside the room gaped at her. “What again? Wait—you actually expected me to work out? That was just so amazing.” Jessica’s jaw dropped and she quickly snapped a smile at them. “Go, don’t mind me.” She waved her hands at her sisters who were standing just staring at her.

 

The eight girls started stretching. They were scattered on the floor. It’s amazing that these skinny girls have much flexibility with their bodies. They were talking about their funny and hilarious experiences from the dates that they had for the way. Some were pissed, some were entertained. Some felt awe. Some felt, again, rather pissed. These unbeatable gorgeous ladies never fail to amaze and lure human eyes.

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the hall across them was another room.

Another room where twelve guys were having their one of their midnight sessions catching up with each other. They were training themselves to act like vampires do. Muttering how one should use fast reflexes and how running should be faster than they do in heaven before. One imitating the other on how his fist should appear strong when fighting off, while some others were trying to adjust their jumps on how they should jump higher without using their wings.

“My mentor Sungmin-hyung told me vampires don’t act cutely.” Luhan said.

“That wouldn’t work on you, baby.” Sehun playfully pinched Luhan’s cheek which made the others chuckle.

“Just why are you two so sweet???” Baekhyun’s eyes widened as if his brothers committed a severe crime.

“Are you jealous, babe?” Chanyeol poked Baekhyun’s sides.

“No to the Bacon. You are mine.” Kris rides on with the other angels’ childish jokes and dragged Chanyeol by his ear towards his side.

“You guys sound so gay, stop that.” Tao said as he fixed the stick as he wanted to improve his martial arts skills.

“Oh, Tao. I’ve seen all of your vanity pictures on your phone.” Kris said while smirking at Tao. “Anyway, back to work.” Kris clapped his hands for his brothers to quit joking around.

They got on their feet and started slugging each other as they throw punches toward each other. It was as if everything that’s happening was choreographed—too synchronized. They were fast and aggressive but everyone’s responding fast against each other’s moves too. Seeing them at the moment, no one would dare say they aren’t vampires. But they all stopped in an instant when they heard weird cracking sound on the room across theirs.

They glanced at each other before settling down. They started piling up the chairs and lifted them against the wall. Suho climbed up easily and peaked at the window inside the room that sees across the other room. It was high enough for the girls in the other room not to see him.

“Guys, guys. Shh.” Suho silenced his brothers. His eyes were pinned to the girls having mock battles against each other.

“So… the cracking sounds were…” Chanyeol’s eyes widened.

“Dude, your eyes. At least catch them once they fall out of your eye sockets.” D.O. patted Chanyeol’s back as if his eyes weren’t bulging out of their sockets too.

“Breaking bones.” Kris said under his breath, completing Chanyeol’s sentence. Lay looked at him but he did not even flinch. His arms were crossed on his chest and he was starring intently at the girls fighting.

Lay sighed, “That’s your girl out there.” He put his hand over Kris’ right shoulder. With Lay’s five-word sentence, he almost jumped when Kris’ eyes started beaming silver. “H-hyung.”

Kris did not move. He was still starring at each movement Seohyun was making against Yuri. The movements were too fast that he could barely catch each move that the two female vampires were doing.

“Hyung.” Lay started tapping Kris’ shoulder until Kris almost fell off from the pile of chairs he was standing onto. But his reflexes were fast that he was able to hold on to the window’s ledge.

“Are you alright?” Xiumin put a hand over Kris’ left shoulder as Lay was on the other side. Kris’ eyes were still beaming silver.

“I-I’m sorry.” Kris mumbled as he tightly closed his eyes and opened them after a few seconds before the silver glimmer completely disappeared.

“You should start controlling your emotions… it’s getting in the way sometimes.” Lay whispered as the others did not noticed what was happening to Kris.

Kris nodded, “I’m sorry.” That was all that he could say.

“Look at me, Kris.” Xiumin said, Kris slowly looked up at Xiumin. Xiumin flashed his eyes to an amazingly tantalizing violet shine. Kris’ eyes widened but in a second, Xiumin’s eyes were back to their normal color. “You can control it too.”

Kris nodded in dismay at his brother. He respects Xiumin a lot because he was older than him. Whenever emotions fill him up, even at the shallowest reasons like he couldn’t watch Seohyun’s every movement when he wanted to learn how to move as fast and as strong as her, his eyes would glimmer to silver. But the serious conversation with Lay and Xiumin was disrupted by a little kid tugging on Kris’ pants.

“Hyung, you left me down here. What am I missing?” Baekhyun said. Kris forcefully smirked.

“Go ask your Chanyeollie to bring you up here.” Kris answered.

 

Meanwhile…

“No, Yuri. You take her left hand!” Sunny squealed clapping her hands as if the two vampires fighting before her eyes was a very precious moment.

“Both of her hands are strong!” Yuri shouted back at Sunny as she continued defending herself from Seohyun’s punches. Seohyun finally caught Yuri’s extremely fast arms that shielded her from the maknae’s endless punches. Seohyun smirked at her older sister as she was pinned on the wall and trapped.

Seohyun flashed her eyes golden-red as if claiming the round belongs to her now. But Yuri replied with her eyes flaring orange. “Not yet.” She evilly smiled back at Seohyun. She couldn’t shrug off Seohyun’s grip on her but she got an idea.

“You better run, run… run, run, run…” Bored lazy Jessica started humming while looking at her toe nails. Yuri smirked upon hearing the song… in a flash, she started running around the hall. Dragging Seohyun along with her. She was extremely fast that Seohyun’s grip slid slowly off Yuri’s arms. “Unnie! Don’t run away!” Seohyun shouted as she kept on chasing after her sister. The other girls in the room started chuckling at the scene.

“Run, Yul. Run!!!” YoonA shouted with her full fists raised on air. Hyoyeon clapped her hands in amusement as Seohyun couldn’t catch up fast to Yuri. Taeyeon held onto her abdomen as she kept on laughing at the childish run-away-scene of Yuri. Sunny was literally rolling on the floor laughing beside Tiffany who's laughing while brushing her hair. Sooyoung laughed while pointing at Seohyun who halted from running. She wasn’t panting but she sat down on the floor, pouting.

“I hate you, unnies!!! That’s cheating!” Seohyun said as she blew on the hair that was scattered on her face.

Sica was still sitting comfortably on the chair and she started browsing for some songs from her hand phone. She was completely unaware and uninterested to everything that he sisters were doing so she played a song.

[Sica played this song: That's Just The Secret We Telepath (Younha vs Younha vs Jonas Brothers; DJ Masa Remix)]

It was louder than expected.

All eyes were on Sica.

Then Sooyoung started singing along with the song. Yuri responded with the next lines. So as Taeyeon who started standing up. Sunny jumped from her sitting position and took Tiffany’s hair brush off her hands and sang as if it was a microphone. One by one, the other started jumping up and down to the song and singing together. Even the frustrated maknae stood up and laughed together with her sisters. Hyoyeon danced in the middle like a dancing queen. Then the other girls started dancing to the song too, slowly finding their position as if they’re a dancing crew.

After the bridge, as everyone’s anticipating to jump at the last chorus, the music stopped. All of them stopped too and looked at Jessica who was still unaware that her sisters were already having fun as she put on her head phone. Yuri quickly ran to Sica and took her phone and unplugged the earphones. Jessica looked up at her.

“Join the fun!” Yuri took Jessica’s arm and dragged her in the middle of the hall with the other girls as the song resumed on playing. They started jumping up and down again like some crazy vampires were drunk.

 

The Exo boys who witnessed the whole scene ended up looking at each other. No one dared speaking. They were all speechless as if the incredible vampires’ actions during their free times took out the words that existed in their dictionaries.

Well, except for one little angel.

“Well I think Taeyeon-noona was a bit pitchy at the end.” Baekhyun said before jumping off from the chair he was standing on. He received a lot of glares from all the other angels with him in the room. “What again?!” He scratched his head. Kris just shook his head at the nonchalant comment of Baekhyun. “Oh, don’t worry, hyung. Seohyun-noona has a beautiful voice too. I mean, did you hear her voice when she sang the line--“ Baekhyun suddenly felt the urge to stop talking and criticizing the voice of Girls’ Generation members when singing. “What I mean is… we should get back to work.” He finally blurted out as the ten other angels jumped off from the chairs and dragged them back to their places. Everyone completely ignored Baekhyun’s funny reaction towards what they witnessed.

Kris fixed his bag when he remembered what Baekhyun said… ‘Seohyun-noona has a beautiful voice too.’ He remembered that Heechul told him about this singing hobby of Seohyun—singing only when she’s around the people she’s most comfortable with. It was indeed evidently true seeing her enjoy earlier while singing with her sisters. He thought he was lucky to be able to hear her sing.

“Come on.” Lay tapped Kris’ shoulder from behind bringing him back to the reality. He looked back at Lay and nodded. Lay smiled at him and flashed his green-glimmering eyes at Kris then his dimple was shown on her right cheek. Kris admired how good his brothers were at controlling their emotions. Lay went back to the center of their room as Kris followed realizing he was not the only one who heard Seohyun sing a while ago.

 

 

The next day came. Seohyun fixed herself early in the morning for the training with Kyuhyun. But when she reached the training complex, the doors were locked and a note was posted on it: Under construction. Preparing for the mini mock battle to be held tomorrow.

 

Seohyun’s eyebrows furrowed. Another unannounced mock battle?

“Yeah, but I bet you’ll always be prepared once your name’s picked.” Kyuhyun walked towards Seohyun, his hands resting inside his pockets. He stared at the note and stood beside Seohyun.

“What will be the prize for the mock battle this time?” Seohyun asked her mentor. She’s actually not interested in the mock battle that happens once or twice a month. She thinks it’s plainly stupid and that Soo Man plays with the vampires when they do it.

“Human blood.” Kyuhyun answered with a poker face.

“Never mind, do some magic to exclude my name.” Seohyun said stepping back to leave.

“Of course, I was kidding!” Kyuhyun held her back by her arm. “The winner gets a day or two off.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Of course, you wouldn’t like the idea of a day off. I know. You’d always like to break some badass human heart—“

“No, I think I like it.” Seohyun smiled to herself. If she gets picked and win the battle with who-knows-who-just-please-not-Yuri, she can take the day off from meeting male humans and somehow visit the grave of her parents. Even if years had passed, her parents will always be in her heart.

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened at bit.

“Be sure to put my name.” Seohyun said before walking away and making her way to the city.

 

Kyuhyun scratched the back of his head as if confused with her trainee’s decision.