Chapter 3: Unexpected Missions

The Heartbreakers

“Awww, cuddling in the middle of the night, that’s so sweet.” A mocking voice was heard as Taeyeon held her youngest sister in her arms. “Seohyun, come with me.” Kyuhyun said; startling the two beautiful ladies as he jumped from the railing he was sitting on.

Kyuhyun had been Seohyun’s mentor for as long as she could remember. He would always be behind her success and it was hard to see why; Kyuhyun doted on Seohyun almost as if she were his sister, intervening whenever necessary to keep her safe. At times he would even appear out of nowhere during Seohyun’s dates just so that he could pretend to be her boyfriend, making the breakup process a lot easier. While she did not show it enough, Seohyun had always been grateful to her mentor for his actions and guidance. 

“Seonsaeng-nim… Isn’t it a little late for mission?” Seohyun asked, casting a glance at her sister.

“Oh, don’t tell me you intend to get some sleep do you?” Kyuhyun smirked. “This, have you seen what’s inside?” Kyuhyun waved an envelope; the one that Seohyun got from the girl earlier that day, before she lost her composure at the scent of her blood.

“You sneaked inside my room again?!” Seohyun exclaimed; Kyuhyun was always focused on getting Seohyun finished with her missions. It meant that he frequently snuck into her room and even Krystal’s, his other trainee, in order to pick up their mission files.

“We’ll talk in my office.” Kyuhyun trailed, as he vanished into the thin air.

Seohyun sighed and turned to Taeyeon, “I’ll be fine. Good heartbreakers have bad teachers.” She gave a play winked to her sister and disappeared after Kyuhyun. Taeyeon smiled to herself, relieved that Seohyun was safe and headed back inside the pink crib.

“YAH, Yuriiii ah” Taeyeon called, at the top of her lungs. Yuri was so startled by her sister’s powerful voice that she jumped in surprise; it was so loud that her voice could be heard over the deafening music she was playing.

“You’ve got some compelling to do. Now go.”

“Aish! That stupid guy, how could he have discovered that I’m from a heartbreakers’ league.” Yuri stood up from sitting in the soft couch. “This should take a minute.” Yuri said as she went outside before leaving at a devilish pace.

Within their crib, no one went about using their superhuman abilities; everything was done at a humane pace. They didn’t use their speed to fight for the bathroom nor did they capitalize on their brutal strength to force through locked doors.

Just as she was about to head upstairs, Taeyeon heard a knock on the door. She walked back towards the doorway wondering who it might be. Sure enough, a playful face greeted her at the door as she opened it.

“Hi, I’m back.” Yuri grinned at her unnie and went inside. Yuri was surely the fastest vampire to ever grace the town.

 

***

As the pair entered the Super Junior building, they began to walk. House rules in which the Girls’ Generation dorm adhered to were applied through the buildings and houses within SM Town; as long as it was indoors, everyone was expected go about their chores normally.

Seohyun followed behind Kyuhyun, heading to his office located on the second level of the five-storey building.

“Seonsaeng-nim,” Seohyun whined, as she dragged her feet to walk beside Kyuhyun. The pale milky-skinned mentor was a snob. “What makes this mission so important that we need to train or talk this late into the night?”

“You should have informed me about this.” Kyuhyun said sternly; his words took the life out of the air around them.

 

They entered the elevator with the mood extremely solemn.

“W-waeyo?” Seohyun asked, feeling a bit nervous if she had done something wrong. The elevator opened as they slowly made their way Kyuhyun’s office. The suspense was killing her, she had no idea what was going on.

Kyuhyun laid the envelope on the glass table where he entertained his guests. Kyuhyun was the most senior mentor next to Heechul and his room looked befitting for someone of his status. The walls were done up in a luscious white; an elegant backdrop for the rest of the room which was slick and classy.

 “You did not fail a mission, you never had,” Kyuhyun said making Seohyun sigh in relief. “But I’m afraid you are about to.” Kyuhyun sighed in frustration. The momentary relief she felt was immediately replaced by a pang emotions.  It was nearly impossible for her to ever fail in a mission. Everybody acknowledged her that much.

Seohyun forced an awkward chuckle, “Well, we can train again. Teach me some moves, whatever it takes to fulfill the mission that lay within that envelope.”

Kyuhyun took a glance at the envelope as he picked it up. “Didn’t you read this?” Seohyun slowly shook her head and looked down—embarrassed that she was too distracted by the scent of human blood that’s why she didn’t bother reading the documents given to her by the girl. “Let me read it to you.”

“Mianhae… I was too hungry.” Seohyun said. Kyuhyun nodded in response, a sign that she was forgiven.

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows as he blew aside the hair resting on his forehead. “What a beautiful guy.” He started. Seohyun grew curious. She’s encountered too many guys to even recognize what’s good-looking and not. “What an enigma we have here,” Kyuhyun teased as he playfully wove the document about. It had only a single page and from where Seohyun was standing, she could see the details were too little to be a straight-forward case.  

Kyuhyun straightened himself as he prepared to read the details but he stopped. “I think it’d be better if you see it yourself,” he said as he looked up to Seohyun, extending the envelope to her.

Seohyun took it and opened the envelope. Slowly, she removed the paper inside and her eyes widened in shock at what she saw.

“We are heading to see the TVXQ gods right. So…” Kyuhyun walked towards his table and lightly sprayed some cologne on his body. “You might want to hold in your eyes.” He headed towards his office’s door. “Don’t drop your jaw.” Kyuhyun said and opened the door.

Seohyun forced herself to follow after Kyuhyun. Her hands clenched the envelope, regretting that she hadn’t read it earlier. From all the cases she had dealt with, this was the heart she least expect to have to break.

In the hallway towards the elevator, they bumped into Heechul and Kris; they were mentor-trainee as well. Seohyun looked at Kris; it was funny and awkward that they were together in the forest just awhile ago. Kris clenched his jaws, avoiding Seohyun’s gaze. His eyes were actually starting to turn silver once again. Seohyun’s eyes had also begun to shimmer, but she turned away before the three men could notice. It was helpful that Kyuhyun spoke; it allowed the two young vampires to gather their composure once more.

Kyuhyun smirked at Heechul. “My evil brother, why aren’t you asleep?”

“Fool, vampires don’t sleep.” Heechul said; pressing the button on the elevator as the four entered.

“You obviously haven’t met Jessica have you?” Seohyun thought, as a slight grin crept to her face.

The five-second elevator-ride was awkward. The friendly competition between the Super Junior brothers was evident. Heechul and Kyuhyun were known for being good mentors; having trainees that succeed in most of the missions certainly did not hurt their reputations.

 

As soon as they were outside, Kyuhyun and Heechul glared at each other; smirks were forming on their lips. In a second, they vanished into cool breezy night. Kris and Seohyun shook their heads in disbelief as they followed after their mentors.

The Super Junior brothers never matured.

Seohyun and Kris jumped in surprise when they arrived in front of the TVXQ building; they did not expect to be headed to the same place. Both avoided the other’s gaze as if to deny their encounter in the forest, as if to deny the short conversation disrupted by the noise of rustling leaves. They shared nothing else, save for the silence that fell upon them as they made their way into the towering building.

Footsteps echoed as they walked through the hallway which donned a crimson red. It was as if a bloodbath had dyed the halls the colourit was; but the sight was by no means gruesome. It was grand and majestic to say the least and the marble finish just made it all the more a sight to behold. There was no doubt that this was where the gods resided.

 

The atmosphere was silent until they heard their mentors’ voices coming from the lobby. Their heads perked up. They knew that again, Kyuhyun and Heechul were arguing.

“I came first.” Kyuhyun proudly claimed.

“No, I did. I was a fraction faster than you.” Heechul disagreed. “So I go in first.”

“You speak as if you have an authority. I. Came. First. So I get to go in before you.” Kyuhyun argued. As they heard footsteps echo through the hallway, they both sighed and ceased their bickering.

“Fine, you go ahead, ahjusshi.” Kyuhyun said as he faked a smile.

“No, you take that girl inside. I’m a gentleman.” Heechul said. They couldn’t stop bickering for more than a second.

Kris shook his head. He proceeded through the grand doors, moving to the next room; Heechul’s eyes widened in surprise at the sight as he hurried after his trainee.

Seohyun and Kyuhyun sat on the sofa in the lobby, Kyuhyun grabbing a magazine and busying himself reading it. Seohyun started to play with her phone again, but her mind was still bothered by what is in the envelope earlier.

“That Kris could be something, you know.” Kyuhyun said.

“That vampire could turn out to be really skillful; especially after seeing his pace while we were getting here.” Seohyun replied, her eyes focusing on the game she was playing. “His speed is almost on par with him and the last time we tried, I outran you.” Seohyun let out a cheeky grin.

“We will let the TVXQ gods be the judge of the boy’s abilities.” Kyuhyun said almost singing. “I bet they’re praising Heechul-hyung again for this kid.”

 

Yunho just put down the envelope that Heechul handed him on the table. His legs were crossed; he sighed heavily and looked at the vampires sitting across him.

“This is our first time encountering such a situation.” Yunho said. Changmin entered the room with two glasses of wine, handing one to Yunho.

“We never declined any requests, but this is different.” Changmin said, sitting beside Yunho, his elbows rested on his knees while holding his glass of wine.

“Well we’ll obviously fail this mission if we pursue.” Heechul spoke. “We, vampires, cannot fall in love. We all know that.”

“There is no way I can make a vampire fall for me.” Kris agreed.

“Wait, who said anything about falling in love?” Yunho questioned authoritatively, as he sipped his wine slowly. “The mission is to break hearts, not to make them fall for you.”

Heechul sighed, “We don’t have hearts; only mortals do.”

There was seconds of silence as if everyone was baffled by the situation.

“We have hearts. They were just turned into stone and we are trying to make it beat again,” Kris said under his breath. He spoke as if he was a vampire just like the other men in his presence.

“Lucifer’s curse can never be broken.” Changmin chuckled, it was a faint chuckle. He wanted to break the curse. Everyone did.

“So let’s try this.” Yunho sat up, straightening himself. Everyone focused on him. “Let’s see how strong of a heartbreaker is inside you.”

“That… that is a pretty interesting proposition, but I don’t think—“

Before Kris could finish his sentence, Yunho had cut him off.

“Changmin and I were actually thinking of having a third member.” Yunho continued as Changmin nodded. “We’ll give you three months.”

“Three months to try to break a heart of stone? That is ridiculous!” Heechul said, knowing his trainee would surely fail to get through. It was already an impossible task, but he would have to be it while dating mortals as well. He couldn’t conceive how Kris could possibly pull this off.

“If three months later you are still there, you could probably just hurt her; a vampire is not capable of loving, but we do have feelings.” Changmin said. “Make her feel pain, it will not kill her.”

“B-but… sunbae…” Heechul stuttered and found the courage to say, “Seohyun is one of the best vampires, we all know that. Kyuhyun is a good mentor, I have to admit that; asides from Jaejoong, no one beside Seohyun possesses that kind of power.”

Yunho and Changmin dropped their heads upon hearing their brother’s name. Jaejoong left hundreds of years ago. No one knows where he was, or if he still existed. Yes, he’s the strongest vampire that existed. With him out of the picture, Seohyun made that mantle her own.

“We will go stick with the league rules.” Yunho stood up and walked over to the glass windows. Drops of water trickled down the glass slab as the rain fell in a melancholic manner. The view Yunho had looked just like a scene straight out from a textbook breakup story. He knew that Kris wouldn’t be able to complete this mission even if he had this perfect backdrop that played out in front of his eyes.

But he knew it had to be done. Kris had to attempt this impossible task.

With hands tucked into his gorgeous velvet blue blazer, he continued. “We never turn down requests.”

Changmin nodded in agreement, “He’s right. You should see Seohyun as one of the other women on your case. This is your chance to prove that you can be stronger than her. This is your chance to replace Jaejoong and be one of the TVXQ.”

“Well,” Heechul started. “We could just compel the guy who brought Seohyun’s documents to us.” Heechul looked at the paper with Seohyun’s photo and the few details written on it. “We could make him forget her and find another girlfriend. It could be as easy as that.”

“We will only compel humans if the league’s position is compromised. We go around not messing with mortals.” Changmin said.

“But we do break their hearts.” Heechul chuckled to himself.

“That’s—“

“I’ll do it.” It silenced everyone. Kris’ voice almost echoed in the spacious room. “Three months, I’ll break her heart in that time.” Kris looked at each of the men with an assertive gaze in his eyes.

Yunho looked at him with amusement. “This boy has got character,” he thought, with a smile almost creeping through his face.

Heechul was left speechless; there was no way his trainee could accomplish what was tasked of him.

“Good. I think we’re finished here then.” Yunho grinned as he eyed Heechul who slowly brought himself to stand up alongside Kris. Kris bowed politely as both he and his mentor exited the room.

 

Heechul waited till they were a distance away from the chamber there were just in before stopping. He looked at Kris with eyes mixed with emotions of disappointment and worry as he began to speak, “Yah, Dongsaeng-ah, you don’t know just what you are getting yourself into do you?” He clearly cared for his trainee more than he bothered to admit.

“We all live by our goals. And I’m here to claim mine.” Kris plainly said; his face void of any expression as always. He walked towards the stairs as Heechul followed behind. Heechul sighed as he scratched his head in confusion with what his trainee had just said.

He didn’t know Kris meant at that time, but he had assumed that his trainee was referring to his goals in breaking hearts.

As an angel, Kris has his own goal; to find love and break the curse of a fallen angel. Only by breaking the curse could he and his eleven brothers return to heaven. The Lord only asked them of one thing; to find true love. Just one of them to be able to do so and the gates of heaven would open to them once more. Kris was still finding that someone in the mortal realm to reach his goals; Seohyun would just be his ticket to earning the trust of the TVXQ gods, for them not to suspect EXO’s real identities. He needed the trust of Yunho and Changmin; only then would he and his brothers be free to finish what they set out to do here.

 

***

 

Yunho and Changmin weren’t expecting another guest after Heechul and Kris left their office. They glanced at each other before Changmin headed to open the door.

“We have a situation.” Kyuhyun said with the envelope in his hands. Changmin let him in together with Seohyun.

“So what are the ‘best’ mentor and vampire doing here at this time of the day?” Yunho asked, putting down his empty wineglass on the side table.

Kyuhyun handed him the envelope.

“Someone requested for Seohyun to break Kris’ heart.” Kyuhyun said; arms folded across his chest. Yunho’s eyes widened at the sight of Kris’ profile in the envelope before him.