Chapter 20: I Lay My Life On You

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: I know the story's kind of running slowly but I hope this chapter fires things up. Enjoy!]

 

Kris was walking alone thinking of the days that gone by and what Lay had told him before. He may not admit it but deep down inside his beating heart, he missed Seohyun. A small misunderstanding could be fixed, and knowing Seohyun, she was a reasonable vampire that he respected. If he saw her, he would not hesitate anymore to talk to her to fix things up. And luck was by his side that night.

“Seohyun-shi!” He called from a distance. He could have probably mastered every detail of Seohyun’s physical appearance that even distances would never hinder him from recognizing her. He ran to her and she was surprised to see him. “It’s good to see you… after a few days.” To him, it was not just good to see her, it was spectacular.

Seohyun mustered her courage to speak for she was not expecting to see Kris. “It’s good to see you too.”

“Do you have time? I want to talk to you… you know. For some things that I thought we need to fix.” Kris said.

Seohyun looked around and avoided Kris’ gaze at first but she still slowly looked up at him. “I actually have things to do. But maybe some other time, when we meet again. Or maybe we can settle a date when both of us are free—I’m not avoiding you, not really.” She shook her head.

“Oh, I—I understand—“ Then his phone suddenly rang. “Wait a second. I’m sorry.” He picked up the call and pressed the answer button only to hear Tao’s loud shrieking voice.

“Hyung, you need to hurry!” Kris almost dropped his hand phone when he picked up Tao’s call.

“Wait—what’s the matter?” Kris sheepishly smiled at Seohyun. “It’s Tao. I’m sorry.” He mouthed to her who just nodded and waited.

“Lay’s not in a very good condition.” Tao said, but his voice was trembling. He added a few more words but Kris couldn’t seem to understand.

“Tao—Tao! Could you speak a little slower and clearer, I can’t understand what you’re saying—“

“Hyung! This is Luhan and as I speak, Lay’s soul is quite… leaving him. You need to be here, now!”

“What?! Alright, I’ll be there.” Kris’s soul almost left him too. His heart started beating twice as fast and he could have looked pale, only if he could see himself at the moment. He glanced at Seohyun who seemed to be aware that the call was an emergency. “What about the others? How about Suho? Does he know? Ask the others to run and get a few medicines. It might just be indigestion or something.”

“Stop firing me questions, hyung. Just—get here!” Luhan then ended the call.

Kris suddenly forgot about Seohyun and he hurried towards the nearest way to get back to SM Town. “Wait! Kris!” He did not want to stop but Seohyun held him back. He badly needed to aid to his brother. “What is it? The call? I know it’s not something good—“

“Something bad happened to Lay and I need to get back to SM Town as quickly as possible.” He plainly said. Worry filled his eyes. Seohyun was lost for words a few seconds for it was her first time seeing a frantic Kris and he just continued walking then. Unaware of his surroundings, he just needed to get to the forest nearby and fly if he can—as long as nobody is around.

“KRIIIS!!!” He heard Seohyun shouted from afar and that’s when he noticed that he was crossing a busy street—and a huge bus was coming his way. He was not as fast as vampires who have reflexes that can move him in a split of second.

But Seohyun had.

Kris thought he was crashed by the bus that was coming his way, but instead he found himself crashed in the delicate arms of Seohyun. Her arms were around him, gripping his torso tightly as if her life depended on it. Her eyes were tightly closed and if she opened them, Kris could have guessed there would be tears. However, that moment, all he could do was adore every detail of her face that was so close to his chest. She looked perfect—perfect than what he had always seen in her. Slowly, he reached his hand to her cheeks and removed the loose strands of hair from Seohyun’s face. Her eyes opened in an instant—the moment she felt his warm fingertips on her face. Their eyes met and for a moment, it was the first time that they stared at each others’ eyes without their hue changing in whatever respective colors they possess. It happened for about a minute—they were lost in their own world and closed in a bubble that has yet to be popped.

Then suddenly, Kris’ heartbeat thumped loudly that his eyes could no longer hold its normal state. It fired silver flames and Seohyun stepped back a little—eyes giving up their golden hue. The bubble surrounding them finally popped when the bus halted and both of them almost fell. Good thing Kris was able to hold on to the silver post inside the bus.

And slowly, it sank into Kris’ mind that Seohyun just saved him from the bus that was coming to him and right now, they were inside that same bus. Indeed, Seohyun possessed an incredible speed to get both of them inside the bus in a second.

“Little tricks vampires do. I’m sorry if that startled you.” Seohyun said but she was looking at the people inside the bus who were all staring at them—not only because they were the only ones standing, but because they were suddenly inside the bus.

“No, I’m fine. And… thank you.” Kris said. “But now I really have to go back to the town.” He glanced at the windshield of the bus.

“Yeah, you should.” Seohyun said and Kris looked back at him, “Go down at the next station. Walk a little further and then you’ll see an opening of a forest there. You can find your way back to SM Town then.” She said and looked back at the passengers. “I have lots of compelling to do. I hope Yunho and Changmin-oppa will forgive me for this.”

“Hey—I’m sorry.” Kris said before the bus stopped.

“No, it’s okay.  Right now, just mind your own business—Lay surely needs you. Send him my get well soon wishes.” She said as Kris couldn’t say anything else for the bus will soon leave its stop. Seohyun sheepishly smiled at everyone inside the bus before her eyes gleamed gold. One by one, she started compelling them in order not to remember whatever happened—especially the part when they were suddenly inside the bus.

 

“Where is he?” Kris asked when he got back to their house in SM Town. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were on the porch, arms crossed and eyes were pinned to the ground. Before the two angels could answer to their leader, Suho’s voice finally echoed from the inside.

“Where is Kris-hyung? Is he finally here? Call that damn—“ Suho was surprised to see Kris was already there. The words Kris heard from Suho could have driven him mad but he didn’t get the chance for Suho came rushing to him, holding him by his collar and pinning him to the post in the balcony. “Do you know why this happened to Lay? Huh? You and your secret businesses with the vampires! Spill it out! What did you make Lay do? Why is he there lying on his bed, dying? Tell me!” Suho shouted and Chanyeol had to stand up to part the two leaders.

“Calm down, hyung.” Baekhyun said in his soft voice.

“How can I calm down when my brother lies there on his death bed? How will I ever calm down when our healer is dying and there is no one to heal him!” Suho almost threw himself again to Kris but Chanyeol and Baekhyun were fast enough to stop him.

Kris’ eyes shimmered with tears but he did not let them fall. “If there’s anything that Lay did that brought him to this state, that I assure you, that I don’t know of. I will never lead my brothers, including you, Suho, to any danger.” He said in a low voice. “Now if you excuse me, it is not only you who bear the pain of having his brother dying.” He walked past Suho and entered their house, rushing upstairs to Lay’s room.

Kris almost broke down when he saw Lay on his bed; his color was paler than the vampires, if that’s even possible. His eyes were closed but surely showed weariness and suffering. He must be in great pain. The others who were surrounding Lay made way for Kris. He slowly walked towards the Lay and fell on his knees on its side. He put a hand over Lay’s forehead, then to his heart.

“His heart is still beating.” Kris muttered. “Why did this happen?” He shook his head. Tears blurring his eyes. Everyone knew Kris was closest to Lay from the eleven of them. Kris took one of Lay’s hands and gripped it in both of his; he pressed them tightly, hoping it would wake the half-lifeless angel up. “Lay, what did you do? You need to wake up. Please.” Kris sobbed and the others inside the room had to look away from the painful scene before them. “Lay, wake up!!!” Kris repeatedly said and sobbed. Tao and Luhan had to step out of the room to find room for themselves and weep on their own. Soon, the others followed, leaving Kris alone inside the room.

Seeing their leader cry was the most painful thing for them.

 

An hour had passed and Kris finally stopped weeping. He fixed himself and sat beside Lay’s bed. Nothing changed—Lay was still lying lifeless. The door clicked open and Suho slowly entered the room. Chen and D.O. followed him. Outside, there stood Luhan and Sehun.

“Hyung—I’m sorry about earlier. I was just—you know me, hyung. It just drove me mad.” Suho put a hand over Kris’ shoulder who did not even stir. He seemed to be in deep thought to move or say a word.

“I was thinking,” Kris finally muttered, “what could possibly kill Lay. We don’t bring him to fights or little battles, we always protect him, the twelve of us.”

“He must have done something that he did not tell us, or something he did not know would slowly cost him his life.” D.O. added in a low voice.

There was a long moment of silence when Kris suddenly looked at Suho, eyes widened. “What is it?” Suho asked.

“Remember when you were telling us some facts about us? About our powers?” Kris asked. Suho nodded alongside Chen and D.O. who nodded as well. “You mentioned about Lay’s healing power—its special ability to heal deadly wounds? You remember that?”

“Only an angel can heal a werewolf bite. Lay even stood that time and showed off his biceps. He was always light-hearted and funny at time. But that time, he slowly sank on the couch when I said that…” Suho trailed off from his reminiscing thought when it finally clicked to him. “No, oh no… Kris—you did not just—“

“If an angel heals a werewolf bite, it takes away his life slowly.” Chen and D.O. said in chorus, both eyes widened in fright.

“That’s it!” Kris stood up with his hands on his hips. “Lay probably healed someone who was bitten by a werewolf. We all know Lay, he’s kind and all-love giving. He couldn’t resist seeing someone injured—“

“Wait. Are we missing on something, hyung?” Suho stepped closer to Kris. “I thought you didn’t know what Lay did.” Suddenly, Suho’s eyes glimmered in deep aquatic blue color.

 

“So how have you been?” Taeyeon asked Seohyun when they were sitting on one of the benches in a park. She handed Seohyun a fruitshake—only it was just the design of the cup. It actually contained blood of a deer that she hunted for the younger vampire to drink on.

Seohyun took the cup and sipped on the straw. “Deer! Tasty.” She said and Taeyeon smiled at her.

“So there you go, how have you been?” She asked again.

“I’m fine though quite bothered. I was thinking if maybe I should work again with the coffee shop I worked in before, you know. To keep myself busy somehow.” Seohyun said, trying to avoid anything that would mention Jaejoong. “Or maybe I can try applying for other works.”

“How about being the legendary heartbreaker?” Taeyeon sipped from her own cup.

“You think I still can fit for the place with TVXQ?” She asked. “Not that I want it, I think I just don’t deserve it.”

“Why? You’ve been good—scratch that. You’ve been the best in the town. Everybody knows you deserve to be with the TVXQ with such power and skills. You’re great as you are, Seohyun.” Taeyeon smiled at her and pushed up her sunglasses.

“It’s just that I’ve been thinking about a lot of things lately. I haven’t done any missions, I declined most of them from the requests.” It started when her date was the first one to break up with her. “I’m afraid Kyuhyun-oppa would scold me for that once I visit the town again.” Seohyun chuckled lightly, “I doubt that I can also bring Jaejoong back to the town.”

“Oh, come on. That bastard is actually magnetic to you!” Taeyeon stood up. “Now I have to meet Leeteuk, and hey, mark my word. You’ll stick to being the best heartbreaker, alright?” Taeyeon kissed her cheek before leaving her alone.

“Taeyeon meeting with Leeteuk? In the city?” She mumbled to herself trying to put the puzzle pieces together but her trance was broken when she saw Jaejoong from afar. He was walking—not limping. She sipped her drink fast and threw the canister on the trash can nearby. She walked towards him as fast as she could, without using any vampire skills.

 

“What are you talking about?” Kris asked Suho. His aquatic blue eyes could be really alluring but right now, they were really scary. He was clearly angry once again at Kris.

“That night—when we had encounter with the werewolves. None of the ten of us were hurt. You were the only one astray with Seohyun. Remember that night? Now care to explain why did Lay heal that lady?” Suho’s eyes were still burning red.

“Why would Lay heal her?”

“Oh come on! Don’t try fooling us!” Suho let out a fake laugh. “You were the one with her, if not from the ten of us were bitten by a wolf, then who? You or that vampire?” Suho stepped closer again to Kris.

Kris thought of it and his guess was unacceptable. “No, Suho. It wasn’t Seohyun who was bitten by a wolf—trust me, for once, my brother, I was with her that time. Remember when you got mad at me because I flew her away from the wolves? If Lay healed anyone from a werewolf bite, it wasn’t Seohyun.” He took his jacket from the chair and opted to leave but Suho stopped him.

“And where are you going amidst of this?”

“I would travel the world to find the person Lay had healed, if that’s what you want.” Kris flashed Suho, for the first time that night, his silver eyes. Suho was taken aback and Kris left the room, and the whole house.

Chanyeol stepped inside Lay’s room when Kris left, “Suho-hyung.” He called. “I hope one day, you’ll appreciate Kris-hyung too. He’s too good to suffer such burden alone. You don’t know how your cruel words affect him.” Baekhyun put a hand over Chanyeol’s shoulder. “If he shall return with the person Lay healed, do you think his soul will not leave him? Will he wake up? What the use of saying such words to our leader if he won’t ever wake up, huh?” For the first time, the happy virus that they knew flared his eyes in bright orange. They were not just plain orange in hue, they were flaring like a fire—a fire that is Chanyeol’s power.

“Come on, Chanyeol. You need to rest. You’ve been awake for several hours.” Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol out of Lay’s room where Suho, Chen and D.O. stood in silence. When Chanyeol was on his way to his room, he saw Tao still sobbing in a corner.

“While Lay lies dying, you guys are fighting. What good does it do? What good does it do?” Tao’s voice slowly faded as he cried even more. Kai and Xiumin helped Tao to stand up and brought him inside his room for comfort. Tao has the softest heart from all the EXO members. He was a cry-baby—not because he was weak, but he was aware of all the emotions that surround him. Young as he was, he was already burdened by his own power to control time. When bad things happen, he would never stop blaming himself for not being able to control the time rightfully. That’s why he was always the first to cry and break down at times like this.

 

Kris flew in the wide while clutching his jacket tightly. He would use this to cover the slits on his shirt that was caused by his wings. The painful words from Suho kept ringing inside his head. He could take any painful words from others, but never from his own brothers. And Suho was always the one to give him the words that would surely break his entire being.

When he was near the city, he landed on his feet on the ground and his wings disappeared. He put on his jacket and started walking towards the city. He was not mad at Seohyun, he just wanted to talk to her. Ask her the things that he should.

He dialed her number, “Seohyun-shi, where are you? Can we meet?”

Seohyun looked ahead of her, there Jaejoong stood at the bookstore counter, waiting on the line. He bought something and Seohyun went with him. She was too delighted when she saw him that he decided to come with him. “Now isn’t really a good time, Kris—“

But from faraway, Kris’ keen eyes saw Seohyun inside the bookstore. He hurriedly walked towards it. “Nevermind.” He cut the call and jogged a little to the bookstore. When Seohyun turned around, she was surprised to see Kris standing in front of her. “I have to clear things up with you—“

“I told you today isn’t really a good time.” Seohyun pursed her lips.

“No, I just have to ask a few questions—“ He trailed off when he saw Jaejoong queuing on the counter. Seohyun followed his gaze, but Jaejoong hasn’t seen Kris yet. “You’re with him?” He asked Seohyun.

“I—I thought I had to treat him out somewhere or spend time with him since he’s got his wound healed—“

“Healed?” Kris slowly nodded and faked a smile. “Of course, he’s got a werewolf bite and hurray he’s healed.”

“Yeah, and that’s why I thought maybe if we need to talk we could do it some other time…” Seohyun looked at Kris whose eyes were now full of hatred—or that she couldn’t really read well.

“Talk? No.” Kris shook his head. “No need, I think I got my questions answered just by seeing you with him.” He sighed in disgust. “And I don’t think I will ever want to talk to you again. Not a single word, never again. I think I might wish never to hear your voice again nor breathe the same air as you.”

“What are you saying?” Seohyun’s eyebrows furrowed. Kris gazed at her with loath and his eyes were uncontrollably in silver hue. The words of Suho rang in his head once again; Lay’s pale body on his bed flashed in his mind; his parent’s dead bodies scattered in his thoughts; without saying anything anymore, he left the bookstore without answering Seohyun’s question.