Chapter 10: Anguish

The Heartbreakers

 

A/N: Credits again to Bryan for editing. ^__^ He's just amazing! The chapters really turned better. ♥
Don't forget to check this out for more SNSD updates.
This fic is also posted there. *click click!*

Check this out too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM9u94dCiEY
A fanmade video and... it was featuring SeoKris! 
Thanks to glamzchic for linking the vid to me! ♥


 

Seohyun’s hands clenched into a tight fist as she eyed the match unfold before her eye. Sunny, who’s sitting next to her, didn’t notice; her eyes were focused on the game. Murmurs filled the stadium, with Kris’ name on everyone lips. They all knew that the outcome was a forgone decision.

Kris was about to be utterly humiliated.

Seohyun glanced towards the Exo members; they were having little arguments which were not audible from where she sat. Kai raised his hands, making the other boys look at him as he spoke. His hands hovered around as if he was describing something to them. Lay nodded and then pointed somewhere else.

Seohyun’s gaze shifted back to where Kris was. He had just stood up, wiping the blood off his lips. Vampires bled, but they could heal themselves too. She waited for Kris to heal those bruises and cuts, but it seemed that he could not do so as quickly as most did; Jonghyun’s smirk only grew further at the sight of this.

Seohyun looked towards Heechul once again; his face seemed a slightly bothered as compared to earlier, but it did not seem as if he was intending to intervene. This was the time to step in, there was no better time to do so; surely it would be too late if he were to be mortally wounded. She knew that if this match wasn’t forfeited soon, Kris would be bathed in his own blood.

Suddenly, Seohyun’s phone lit up as is ringed; it was Yuri calling.

“I’m going outside to take this call. It’s Yuri.” Seohyun told Sunny, who nodded in response. Seohyun quickly stood up from her seat and went out of the roaring stadium. She headed to the locker rooms, passing by the lobby as she picked up the call.  “Waeyo? I-is there something wrong?” Seohyun’s voice almost crack, her mind was still distracted by the thoughts of the ongoing match.

“Don’t worry, nothing’s wrong, everything’s fine I just wanted to apologize for not being able to make it for your match.” Yuri said. Seohyun’s breaths were heavy; Yuri could hear it from the other line. “Are you okay?”

Seohyun nodded, “I’m fine. It’s okay. I-I need to hang up. Just be safe, unnie.” She said.

“Alright, good luck!” Yuri said and Seohyun quickly ended the call. She ran back towards the entrance of the stadium where she bumped into Lay, who was with Tao.

“I’m sorry.” Seohyun apologized but she did not look at Lay and Tao. Instead she quickly ran towards her seat. But before she could go back, she saw that Jonghyun’s eyes were flaring a pearlescent blue. Seohyun quickly turned back and ran towards the maintenance room of the stadium. It all happened quickly for her to think through her actions; she was breaking indoor rules. She wasn’t supposed to be using her superhuman abilities unless she was in that mock battle.

But it did not matter to her.

 

Tao was standing beside Lay, who eyed Kai.

Kai was assigned to teleport Kris, bringing him to Lay so that he could heal up before returning to the arena. Tao, on the other hand, was going to manipulate time so nobody would know what had happened. That was the plan; they waited on Suho for the signal to execute it.

Before they could move another inch, the stadium went pitch dark. Almost as soon as that had happened, the lights were back on. No one knew what had happened, but as they turned towards the center of the stadium, they were dumbfounded. Kris was standing; blood still trickling from his wounds. He took one heavy breath after another as he tried to regain his composure.

 

But Jonghyun was on the floor, clutching his arms. He was in pain; cuts covered his body as blood trickled out. He was beaten in what was surely no more than a split second. Everyone was puzzled, but it did not matter.

 

Jonghyun rose his right arm slowly; a sign of surrender. Kris had won and the crowd went wild in their cheers for him. The Super Junior members praised Heechul for having such a fine trainee; he was proud of Kris as well. To everyone in the stadium, Kris had caused a major upset. But he knew the victory was not of his own work.

Kris trudged towards the locker room as the other EXO boys hurried after him.

Lay just went closer to Kris as he helped him sit on one of the benches. “You should be better with this” He put a hand over Kris’ wounds and a dim light was seen across the room. Lay was healing Kris’ wounds.

“I did not do it.” Kris said abruptly. Suho’s eyes almost widened as he scooted closer to the healed angel. “When the lights turned off, I felt someone pulling me to my feet. The next thing I knew, that vampire was on the ground, utterly beaten.”

“Tao, do you have anything to do with this? Controlling time before my signal?” Suho looked at Tao, who was plastered with innocence in his eyes.

“I wasn’t even prepared to do anything,” Tao answered bluntly.

“It all happened so fast, we all saw what happened and,” Suho couldn’t find the right words to continue.

“We did not know what happened too.” Lay stood up and brushed his hands together. “It wasn’t Tao.” Lay looked at Suho. “I was there with him; we were both waiting for your signal.”

“And you all saw me; I was still on my seat that time.” Kai interrupted.

“So you guys were.”

“Yes, we were planning to save you.” Suho answered in disgust. “You don’t get it do you guys? We cannot afford to expose ourselves!”

“Hyung, I did not use my powers!” Tao retorted. His eyes gleamed in a bright red that almost scared the maknae.

“Sehun, go back there. It shouldn’t be obvious that most of us are gone back there.” Lay tapped Sehun’s back as he exited the room with Luhan.

Suho’s eyes burned an aquatic blue. It was a very serene color and yet, right now, it looked frightening on him. Suho is known to be the joyful angel among them brothers. He was always seen smiling and beaming at everyone with his heart-melting smiles. But right now, that Suho isn’t present, he was absolutely livid furious as of the moment.

“Stop it!” Kris finally stood up, tossing the towel that he used to wipe the blood off his healed wounds on the chair that he was sitting on. His eyes finally glared silver. Suho and Tao looked down, eyes returning to their normal hues. Kris glared at both of them, “Stop blaming anyone for this. You get that? There’s no one to be blamed. If you wish to blame someone, blame me.”

Kris’ eyes were still metallic silver; he wasn’t mad at his brothers, but he was trying to recall what exactly happened to him back then but it was all a blur. The incent ranting of his brothers were not helping at all.

“Hey hyung, saw your girl before the lights went off.” Tao finally spoke, with a lighter mood.

“Stop addressing her that way. She is not my girl.” Kris said, but suddenly, something stuck his mind. “Wait, what did you say?”

“We saw her before we tried to push through with the plan.” Lay added on to Tao’s words, as he nodded in agreement. Kris’ eyebrows furrowed. “But we don’t think she has anything to do with what happened. She was heading back inside when we bumped into her.”

“H-hyung! You need to go back there! Ppali ppali!” Sehun was knocking furiously on the door that was left open. Luhan followed him.

“What’s going on?” Suho asked.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s something big, really big.” Luhan said, while trying to catch his breath.

 

In the middle of the stadium, the huge crowd was silent; all mouths were agape as they stared at the opponent Seohyun had called forth. Everyone was lost for words.

“O-our final contender for tonight, Seo Joo Hyun and her opponent is Kim Heechul.” Yunho said on the microphone before the crowd started making noise once again.

Kris stood rooted to the ground when he heard the announcement. “Hyung, sit down.” Baekhyun tugged on the sleeve of his shirt.

Before Kris could even move a muscle, the entire stadium was on their feet, eyes pinned on the two vampires that had started fighting. Every movement each made was so quick that the onlookers could barely keep up with the intensity of the fight.

Moment later, the pair separated, staring the opposite number with deadly intent; eyes both gleaming with a brilliant hue. Without flinching, Seohyun and Heechul held their ground, waiting for the other to make a move.

“This is bad; we need to find a way to stop this,” Sunny muttered.

“There must be something that Heechul-oppa might have done that made her explode like that,” Hyoyeon said.

They almost jumped off their seats in surprise as Seohyun held Heechul down on the ground in a blink of an eye.

“Great… game…” Jessica mumbled.

 

Seohyun bared her fangs as she pinned Heechul down on the ground, as if she was about to rip the mentor’s heart out.

“You are a terrible mentor.” Seohyun hissed. Heechul groaned and revealed his fangs as well. Their eyes looked as scary as ever.

“What the hell?! You’re not even my trainee,” Heechul said as he finally broke himself from Seohyun’s grip. They started with their quick maneuvers once again and the match was now in full flight. They landed each blow with venomous intent as they engaged in a heated conversation during their exchange. “How dare you have the audacity to pick me? Have you gone insane as your mentor?! Who’s next the TVXQ gods?”

“You don’t have any freaking idea what you did, do you?” Seohyun spat.

“Oh please do enlighten me of my crimes.” Heechul mockingly answered.

Seohyun quickly took the mentor by his arms and pinned him to the ground once again; the sound of cracking bones cause to crowd to get up on their feet once again as Heechul grunted in pain.

“Your little vampire could have died in the hands of Jjong. Didn’t you know that?!”

“Oh, so now you care about my little new vampire?! That’s nice.”

“NO! I wasn’t talking about him. I was talking about how stupid you could be letting the fight happen! Are you serious?!”

“Look,” Heechul started, as he managed to reverse Seohyun’s grip, throwing her aside. He his elbow had unintentionally caught her cheek, causing her lower lip to bleed; it made Seohyun’s rage boil even further.

“I should be the one asking you that. Are you seriously having a go at me for that you fool?” Heechul’s shoulder cracked back into place after Seohyun dislocated it earlier. He flexed his shoulders as he prepared to make a move on the stunning vampire in front of him.

“I sat there waiting for you to intervene, to save your trainee, but all you did was just to sit there all high and mighty. You are probably too prissy to even break a sweat to help your own trainee huh?” Seohyun jabbed.

She was on the receiving end of yet another forceful punch from Heechul, who finished off his move with a kick executed with deadly precision. The impact from his kick had sent Seohyun reeling further away from him as he started to gain the upper hand in this matchup. She held onto her abdomen as she picked herself of the group but quickly backed off as her opponent inched closer to her; the two were exchanging venomous glares yet again. 

“So what if Kris died there on the spot? Why would someone like you care? I did this as part of his training, it was for him! Don’t expect me to train him the way your genius mentor trains you.”

Heechul spun Seohyun around and whispered in her ears, “Look up there.” His grip around her neck tightened, Kris gazed intently at her alongside his brothers. He was completely fine now. No bruises, no scratches, no traces of wounds at all.

“You’re fighting for nothing, he’s fine now.” Seohyun looked away from Kris. Heechul gave out a soft chuckle. “You’re pathetic, Seo Joo…” Before he could finish his sentence, Heechul was pinned to the floor, unable to move.

Seohyun needed no further reason to end this fight. Heechul had enraged her enough and she was about to put this match to bed.

She snatched Heechul off the ground with ridiculous ease, staring him dead into the eye. A chill went down his spine as he froze in Seohyun’s grasped. Something was different about her; the intensity she gave off was on a whole other level; for the first time in the match, Heechul felt fear.

“You should know better to disregard the lives of your trainees,” Seohyun whispered in an almost terrifying manner.

With that, she sent Heechul spiraling across the stadium as he crashed into the protective dome. Heechul howled in pain as the dome begun to shatter, shards falling into the arena as if they were confetti declaring Seohyun the victor in the match.

Heechul tried his best to get back up but he had too many broken bones to do so. He did not want to do so, be there was no other choice; he raised his hands as a sign of surrender.

The crowd fell silent of a moment or two, as if they were paying tribute to Seohyun’s win. Then, the stadium broke out into loud screams and cheers; they crowd was clearly entertained and thoroughly excited by the way the match had unfolded. 

 

Everyone was amazed again by how this female vampire who never failed; for the courage she had in challenging a mentor, someone who was higher in ranking than her, someone’s whom she should have respected as her senior. She panted, not because she was tired, but because she was filled with anguish that she couldn’t explain.

Sunny, Hyoyeon and Jessica were the first to run towards Seohyun. The Super Junior members assisted Heechul but Kyuhyun excused himself to congratulate his trainee.

“You did great.” Sunny said. She was aware that Seohyun was not in the best of moods even after winning against Heechul. Gradually, the spectators filtered out of the stadium, back to their usual mundane lives.

 “I think you’re pretty cool out there. Great match!” Hyoyeon tried to lighten up the maknae’s mood but it didn’t work.

“She’s expressionless. Sweet win by the way.” Jessica said as Taeyeon and others came too. “Her eyes are still shimmering though.”

Taeyeon’s head turned to Seohyun at the mention Sica made. She quickly scooted closer to the maknae and gently shook her by her shoulders.

“Hey… what’s wrong?” Taeyeon asked. The maknae avoided her gaze. “Tell me, it’ll be fine. You won, so what’s the matter?”  But Seohyun just shook her head, still not meeting her sister’s gaze.

“What’s the matter?” She heard Kyuhyun’s voice came from behind.

“Nothing, I’m fine.” Seohyun finally spoke, but did not meet Kyuhyun’s eyes as well. “I won as I promised.” She said and then stepped back, “I’m gonna go wash up.”

Kyuhyun wanted to talk to her and congratulate her but Taeyeon held him back, “Something’s going on. You might want to leave her alone.” Kyuhyun sighed in dismay and nodded. He then congratulated the other girls and went with his brothers after.

Seohyun absentmindedly walked out of the venue. People were talking about her or talking to her, congratulating her, greeting her, but she was too bothered and engulfed in her own thoughts to respond to them.  What exactly was bothering her?

“You’re fighting for nothing, he’s perfectly fine now.”Heechul’s words rang inside her head. Did she fight for Kris? She had embarrassed herself in front of his mentor, saying things that showed utter disrespect to someone higher in rank than she was.  

She was indeed, bothered. When she saw Kris bleeding and healing slowly, why did she run to switch the lights off, to bring Jonghyun down and pull Kris up before quickly to switching the light on again? It all happened so fast that she had no time to consider her actions.

 

Her thoughts were brushed off as someone held onto her wrist. She could have broken those hands, but she saw that they belonged to Yunho.

“Is there something going on?” Yunho asked. Seohyun shook her head but it was unconvincing with the way she looked. “I know what you did.” Seohyun slowly looked up at the TVXQ god, unable to find words to speak for herself. “And I was not pleased.”

“For picking a mentor; I know, it was so mindless of me.” Seohyun looked down again, releasing her wrist from the grip of the senior.

“I could let that one pass. You won the match; I will neither begrudge your choice nor your win.” Yunho said making Seohyun look up to him again. “I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.”

“Y-Yunho-shi…” Seohyun’s eyes were back to their normal hue and were now filled with fear and anxiety.

Yunho sighed, “I’d hate to do this. But I can’t be biased towards you.” He looked down, “I saw what you did. You might have been extremely fast, but I saw what happened. I cannot call it cheating because it wasn’t your match, but it’s against general protocol to intervene in a match unauthorized.” Yunho looked at her with disappointed eyes. Those were the keenest pair of eyes amongst all the others. “Luckily, Soo Man-shi was on his phone and he did not notice anything amiss.”

Seohyun pursed her lips, regretting what she did earlier to save Kris’ life; it seemed all so senseless to her right now.

“Stay in the city for a week. That’s the least punishment that I could give you.” Yunho said, patting Seohyun’s shoulder before walking past her. She stood there, trying to remember all her of heroics and stupidity. She broke the house rule and Yunho saw it. Yunho was one of the TVXQ gods who had expected a lot from her, even challenging her to replace Kim Jaejoong and join their ranks.

But now because of her stupid actions, she would have to face the punishment of living in the city for a week. A week neither blood nor wild animals to feed on; for a week she would have to live like a normal human in the city. It was shameful.

Kris waited for her outside the stadium to congratulate her. But Chen tapped his back, “Let’s just go. Talk to her tomorrow, she will still be around.” Kris hesitated at first. He felt the urge to talk to Seohyun; but he couldn’t wait any longer. He took a step back and followed his brothers toward their house.

As they slowly moved out of sight, Yunho followed suit and left the stadium. Seohyun followed shortly after, heading back to the pink bubbly house alongside her sisters.

Seohyun sighed as she walked, with the sun setting over the horizon behind her, mind still lost in a sea of thoughts.


A/N: I'm promoting my sister's fic also. It's a Taeyeon one. ^_^ Go check it out here! *click click!*