Chapter 23: Soul of the Beloved

The Heartbreakers

[A/N: I have A/N after this chapter below. *winks*]

 

“That bastard has been studying about us.” Suho said, clutching a pile of papers with his hands. “That ruthless, heartless vampire was healed by our brother in the end. This is pathetic.” Suho kept on reading the papers in his hands.

Kris was just stared. He was not very interactive after he saw Seohyun with Jaejoong—who was healed by his now dying brother. He suddenly became a man of fewer words than he was before. The tension between him and Suho had gone down after he permitted him to barge inside Jaejoong’s office. Suho was the most intelligent of them all, when he’s suspicious, he must be reasonable. And this time, it was.

“I don’t get it. Why would Lay heal Jaejoong?” Chanyeol crossed his arms and leaned on the wall across the chair where Kris was. “He clearly knew what he did to your folks. He would not do that just to use his powers.”

“There must be something that pushed him.” D.O. added.

“We all know Lay. He’s the kindest of us all, but he would not just turn against us, especially against you, hyung.” Chanyeol told Kris who slowly looked up at him. “He respects you a lot. He wouldn’t do that on purpose.”

“What does Jaejoong have against us?” Suho was still scanning through some papers. “I’m going to research more about this—the catch between vampires and angels. I am not going to let go of this one.” Suho stood up and went to his laptop.

D.O. went closer to Suho and skimmed through some pages. “He clearly knows about us—that there are twelve of us, that we have supernatural powers, and that we can just be anywhere.” D.O. said and looked at Kris. “Hyung, do you think we should do something about this?”

The three younger angels looked at Kris who seemed apathetic of everything that’s happening. He was thinking of so many things that he could not keep up with reality. He did not know what to feel exactly at the moment. His life was being entangled to so many different situations that he couldn’t handle all at the same time. It was as if his life was knotted in a way that can never be loosening up.

“Hyung?” Chanyeol repeated.

Kris snapped from his thoughts and looked at his brothers. “Of course,” He said. “Yes, we’re going to do something about this but right now, I think I’m going to rest for a while.” He massaged his temples and looked back at his brothers. “Please tell the others to take care of Lay. We now he’s going back to life when he dies, but we will not let him die.” Kris stood up. “Especially that we have more enemies around. We need him.”

Chanyeol nodded and approached Kris, “Hyung.” He patted his back and said, “You’re not alone in this one. There are still ten of us with you. The battle is ours, not just yours.” Kris nodded slightly and walked out of the room. Chanyeol and D.O. exchanged concerned looks.

Kris nodded, “I know. But we need Lay.” He then left the room.

“Guys, I could use more brains to work on this one.” Suho said while reading from his laptop. D.O. and Chanyeol went closer again to Suho and read with him.


Taeyeon and Seohyun were walking together sipping their juice drinks—if they really were. Taeyeon visited Seohyun for a talk since Jessica was still missing. She told the youngest sibling that she’ll be looking for Jessica around the city too as Leeteuk permitted her even if she was not on a mission that day. Jessica had to be home before TVXQ gods could find out about it.

“You don’t look so happy today.” Taeyeon said.

“We all are not.” Seohyun sighed. “There are so many things going on, unnie. How can I be doing two different missions at the same time? I can handle ten dates but not this kind of missions.” Seohyun said and Taeyeon squeezed her hand.

“Then let’s lessen the load you are carrying.” Taeyeon was always this comforting. “You don’t have to worry about Jessica, okay? We’ll find her. You can just focus on your missions as what is expected of you.”

Seohyun was almost relieved but still, Taeyeon was unaware of half of the things that she was going through. “I wish I could tell you everything, unnie.” Taeyeon stopped on her tracks and looked at Seohyun. “I’m sick and tired of lies—even if that’s what I do as a heartbreaker, even if that’s what we always do. I feel like I’m keeping more than what I should.”

Taeyeon looked at the younger vampire and saw sincerity and confusions. It seemed as if Seohyun was holding back so many words. “Seohyun-ah, tell me.”

“It’s not that easy…” Seohyun avoided Taeyeon’s gaze.

“How am I supposed to lighten up your burden if you’re not going to tell me?” Taeyeon said and added, “We are sisters. Whether you are right or wrong, I will side with you.”

Seohyun hesitated for a moment—contemplating where to start. They were in the middle of the city, with so many humans walking innocently and there she was—she could not just spill everything that she had kept for the longest time.

“I saw Jessica unnie.” Suddenly, the wall started to build itself up once again between Seohyun and her sisters. She couldn’t just say she was with Jaejoong all along. She couldn’t just say she had known Kris as an angel. She couldn’t just say she knew werewolves and witches. Everything couldn’t just be said all at once.

She explained what happened when she saw Jessica—including the incident with Donghae and that he found her first. However, Jessica was not willing to go back home yet. This time, she did not lie anymore but it still felt like she was.

“Please, don’t get mad at Donghae-oppa.” Seohyun said. “He has every reason not to deserve the whole Girls’ Generation mad at him.” Taeyeon just looked down. “Please, unnie. Promise me, you won’t get mad at him.”

Taeyeon slowly looked at Seohyun, “I think I understand Donghae.” Seohyun felt relieved. “It’s Jessica that I don’t understand.”

“Just talk to her, unnie. I know any minute now, she’ll probably be home. She’s mature enough. She should not make us worry that much.” Seohyun said.

“I agree with you, Seohyun-ah.” Taeyeon forced a smile. “Thank you for telling this to me.” She pulled Seohyun into a loving embrace, appreciating that their maknae was able to tell her what she needed to know.


As soon as Taeyeon left, Seohyun went back to her small flat and sat on the edge of her bed. She took her phone and dialled the number that she’d been longing to call. It rang for a few times until it led her to the voice mail.

“Uhm, hi. Kris, it’s Seohyun. I’ve been thinking a lot lately, and maybe we need to talk. Please, call back.”

“Kris, it’s me, again. I’m still waiting for your call, I just want you to know that.” Seohyun sighed, “Please, just call me back, okay?”

“I know you said you don’t want to talk to me…ever again. But please, Kris. Don’t be this way. We need to talk. There has to be something that I need to know, and you have to tell it to me. Please, Kris. Call—“ Seohyun’s voice mail was cut off by the beep. As much as she wanted to tell everything through the voice mail, it was limited to few seconds only. She had to see Kris to know what went wrong.

Soon, after leaving more messages, she grew tired of it. She lay helplessly on her bed, curled up into a ball, and felt even more alone. She was thinking once again of what Kris told him—how his actions changed in split of seconds when she last saw him. Kris was still just a mission to her—however, as time went by, she knew he became a special mission to him. From the start, she knew something was bound to happen. Something big. And that turned out to be Kris being an angel. Right now, she would have wanted to see his enormous wings unfurling behind him. Kris was always perfect with his golden wings. She wanted to touch those feathers and to feel them melt between her slender fingers. She wanted to feel safe once again—which only happened when his arms were around her. Maybe angels were really made to protect.

How she wished Kris stayed or how she wished she had known first the reason why Kris must have been angry at her.


Kris stared at the ceiling of his room. He was just listening to every voice message Seohyun left for him. He was purposely ignoring her calls—he could not just pick up the calls and talk to her as if every single thing that happened could still work out. He couldn’t just fake it and act as if he was willing to talk to her. He was fooled. He was bewitched. Yet he felt enchanted all at the same time. It’s Seohyun. He couldn’t just ignore her but at the same time, it felt like it was the only right thing to do.

Seohyun’s voice from the other line was a melody to Kris’ ears yet it pierces his heart too. Why does it feel so right to hear her voice but feel perfectly broken upon listening to her words? Seohyun was just a mission to him. But all of a sudden, without knowing it, how come she felt so special to him? All he needed was to gain TVXQ’s trust. He did not need anything else from this mission but it seemed that slowly, more things came when he accepted this risk of breaking Seohyun’s heart.

It was impossible to succeed.

From what’s happening, it is really impossible right now.

 

“What on earth are you doing?” Someone’s voice startled Kris. He lost his trance and gained composure yet he did not get up from his bed. He thought the voice sounded familiar but this was not the perfect timing to have someone inside his room. There were still too many thoughts inside his head. “Are you just going to ignore me?”

“I told you guys I need some rest. We can talk later.” Kris grumpily said and faced his back to the door.

“Under the circumstances that you’re in, I don’t think you should rest. I know your heart has been restless for a while now, hyung. But look at you, you can’t even fall asleep.” Kris finally recognized the voice. It was Lay’s.

Kris quickly sat up and saw Lay leaning on the door frame of his room with his hands resting inside his pockets.

“Lay? W-what are you—you’re supposed to be—“

“Dying?” Lay chuckled a little. “Hyung, I am dying. But I can’t die peacefully when I see you like this.” Lay walked towards Kris’ bed. “You can’t ignore those calls forever.”

“No, I—I can’t just pick them up either, Lay.” Kris shook his head.

“She’s trying. Can’t you see that? You can’t be mad at her without her knowing what’s going on.” Lay sat on the edge of Kris’ bed and looked at the curtains blown by the wind that came in through the windows. “I may have done something stupid and unforgiveable, but it’s something that I wanted. It’s something that felt right for me to do.”

“But Lay,” Kris’ eyes moisten. “Just because you can heal anyone, it doesn’t mean you have to.” Kris’ voice cracked a little but he managed to clear his throat. “You healed Kim Jaejoong, Lay. You healed the vampire who killed my parents.”

“I think you’re confused, hyung.” Lay looked at him. “Are you mad because Kim Jaejoong was healed, or are you mad because I was the one who healed him?” Kris looked down. “Either way, Seohyun has nothing to do with this. She has a heart—no matter how stoned it is, she has one. Jaejoong was a friend to her and she wanted him healed. If it was one of our brothers bitten by a wolf, I would gladly give up my life as well.”

Kris was silence. For a while there, he thought Lay was right.

“You can’t be mad at Seohyun for this. She barely knows a thing about us, about you. She might have known you’re an angel, but that’s only a figment of your whole life.” Lay said and sighed. “You have to let her in, hyung. Let her know about your past, let her know about who you really are, let her know about how you feel. When you do,” Lay looked at Kris and continued, “she’ll finally understand what you’re going through.”

“I don’t know, Lay. I’m not sure if I can do that.” Kris still couldn’t be persuaded even with the presence of his brother’s soul. There was a few seconds of silence until Lay broke the ice

“Does she know I’m dying?”

Kris slowly looked at Lay and saw sadness in the eyes of their healer. Lay was there most of the time for Seohyun. He was there when she was dying of thirst in the city. He was there when Jaejoong met Seohyun—not just once but twice. He was always there to save Seohyun even if it meant going beyond his capabilities. Lay cared about Seohyun. And as he lay on his death bed, Kris knew, by looking in his eyes, he wanted Seohyun to know what happened to him.

“If I draw my last breath, I want her to be with me.” Lay said in a soft voice. “I don’t want her to be guilty or to regret what she wished for Jaejoong, I just want her to be there because of all the years that I’ve been alive, I found someone to die for other than my brothers.”

Kris was only waiting for the next words that might come next from Lay. He was not sure if those words would pierce through him but those words would surely break them free from the curse. Those words would surely open the gates of heaven for the fallen angels once again.

Kris waited.

“Lay, will you tell me…” Kris was cut off when Lay looked at him.

“I cannot break the curse, hyung.” Lay said and smiled a little. His dimples were showing once again. It almost took a thorn out of Kris’ heart. “I cannot say those words. I, myself, am not sure of how I feel for Seohyun. I’m only sure of thing.” Kris waited for Lay to continue. “I will only die peacefully if she comes to see me.”

“You will not die, Lay. I will find a way.” Kris’ finally broke down to tears. “No matter how impossible it is, there must still be a way.”

“I will come back to life in a few years.” Lay said. “Until you break the curse, we will keep on coming back to life after death.”

“But we can’t lose you even just for a day, Lay. We can’t.” Kris said knowing Lay was the only healer.

Lay pitied the sight of his strongest brother who showed little emotions all throughout their run. “There may be no other way to save me, but please, let me die peacefully.” Kris covered his face and sobbed. Lay was indeed the closest to his heart from his eleven brothers. Everybody knows that.

As Kris was crying, his phone suddenly rang once again. He looked at Lay who just looked at him. He glanced back to his phone and when he looked at Lay’s direction, he was gone. His phone rang once again and all else faded because all he could see was the empty ceiling.

It was all just a dream yet it felt so real. It was as if Lay was just there inside his room, sitting on the edge of his bed, asking him to let Seohyun know of his condition. But it was all just as dream.

Kris breathed in deeply and was startled when his phone started ringing. It was Seohyun once again.


The next day came and Seohyun prepared early to go somewhere. It was a bright sunny day and her hopes were up that this day would be better than all the other days that passed. She glanced at her watch and knew she had to get going. She left her flat and was ready to face the long day ahead of her.

At a neo-classical designed coffee shop where only old men and women visit, not only because of its old style but because this place was not that known to many people, Seohyun met up with all the Kara members. They were really gorgeous like Girls’ Generation and they were dressed fabulously. People would only see them as fashion icons when seen at first glance, but when a person looked at them intently, it is highly noticeable that they were different. Coming from the witches’ bloodline, Kara dressed differently than others. They were lively people but they were dangerous. They were powerful in their own way. They were in harmony with nature. They had known so many things from history.

Seohyun had known Nicole for a very long time. Someone had signed her up to The Heartbreakers and applied to break her ex-boyfriend’s heart. However, not long enough, Nicole knew that Seohyun was different. The league of heartbreakers was extraordinary because no one knew of it after breaking of hearts—although its clients remember about it, the secret of this league remains a big secret. Nicole, as a witch, had done researches and found none. There was only one way to know what Seohyun was—to confront her and fight her no matter what she is. Seohyun had shown her fugitive side, her uncontrollable strength was challenged by Nicole who only got her strength from nature. That moment, Nicole knew upon seeing the indifferent eyes Seohyun had. Apart from the image she had shown to many, her calm and innocent face was nothing compared to her real identity. Her true colors showed before Nicole other than her golden eyes. Because Nicole was a witch, Seohyun could not compel her. She would always resist her powers. In order to keep each others’ secrets, they decided to be friends in the end—the kind of friendship that is bounded by strong commitment, bounded by deepest secrets.

“Considering you’re not in your town, your late arrival is dependably excused.” Nicole said and crossed her arms as she straightened up. “And yes, you may sit down.” She flashed Seohyun her infamous friendly smile.

Seohyun smiled back and chuckled lightly with the other members of Kara. “I’m not sure if it has been that long since we last saw each other but I think,” Hara clasped her hands and glanced at her sisters. “Your cheeks have gained some color!”

Nicole snorted, “Please,” she laughed lightly. “Do you live in a world without the existence of make-up? Duh, Hara.” She chuckled once again.

“But I am serious.” Hara defended. “She was as pale as a dead body preserved for a thousand years before!”

“Again, do you seriously live under a rock?” Nicole knocked Hara’s nape. “I thought you were with me all this time.”

Hara was about to answer back but Gyuri cut in. “Alright, alright.” She chuckled lightly, “that’s enough. I think asking how our Seohyun has been would be the normal way to greet her.”

Seohyun nodded slightly, “Well, I’m not sure where to start but to cut it short, let’s just say I’ve been pleasantly well.”

Nicole sipped her coffee but stopped midway upon hearing Seohyun’s statement, “Forget where we left off, tell us about the Royal Kim Jaejoong.” If Seohyun was drinking coffee, she would have choked on it. The others anticipated her answer but Seohyun did not know how to explain it all.

Seohyun gulped. She looked at the five witches waiting for her answer and they would know right away if she lied. Besides, they had always been good friends to her and they deserved to know the truth—especially that Seohyun had been keeping a lot of secrets lately.

 

“Right now, I don’t know what to do. It feels like seeing you guys is the only right thing I could do.” Seohyun looked at each of Kara members. Gyuri smiled lovingly at her.

“You know you can trust us, always.” Gyuri said. Hara nodded responsively while Nicole still sipped on her cup of coffee.

“On the other hand, it makes me wonder…” Nicole put down her cup of coffee on the table and played with it, whilst slowly refilling it using her magic. “Now that Jaejoong’s healed from the wolf bite, will you bring him back to the town?”

Seohyun thought for a moment, “Well, isn’t that what I’m supposed to do? It’s my mission and I’ve been ruthlessly and recklessly disobeying instructions from the TVXQ gods.”

“Jaejoong’s one of the original TVXQ gods.” Nicole added and the others nodded. She finally finished refilling her cup with coffee dripping from her palm. She looked around innocently to be sure no one had seen what she did. “What happens if you bring him to that town of yours?”

Seohyun looked down.

“There is probably nothing kinder than death that awaits him there.” Gyuri answered for Seohyun. “It’s your choice, honey.” She sipped her coffee and looked at Seohyun, eyes gleaming in lighter pink color, which they prefer to call as pearl peach, and flashed back to its normal hue. “I’m just not sure if you’ll let him die just like that.”

“He’s been kind to me—though I’m not really sure how genuine his actions were.” Nicole chuckled at Seohyun’s remark. “What?”

“Yeah, I agree with you. Especially that he’s been… working on angels? How about your angel friend? You’re really trapped between two incredibly hot guys with enormously challenging problems with their identities.” Nicole teased but Seohyun found it unhelpful. “Alright, I’m sorry. I take my words back.” She motioned to zip her lips but then she motioned to them and added, “Your world is a disaster, Seohyun. I forgot to mention the wolves pack.”

“You should mention us too, the mystically beautiful witches.” Hara winked at Seohyun which put up a lighter mood.

“Let me return the favor of asking how I have been,” Seohyun’s eyes brightened. “How was your mystical study of the necklace I gave you?”

Nicole, Hara, Gyuri, Seungyeon and Jiyoung exchanged looks.

“Shouldn’t we start with the ‘how are you’ question?” Nicole said and smiled sheepishly.

 


“I should be hugging you right now but I am still bothered by why you left and ran away just like that. Oh God, don’t you have any idea how worried everyone at home was? Just because you rarely showed emotions doesn’t mean you can just leave—“ Taeyeon was on the porch waiting for Jessica. She expected her return today and was patiently waiting since last night.

“Unnie, please.” Jessica stopped opening the door and looked at Taeyeon with her swollen eyes. “I know what I did was wrong. You can punish me as a leader. Go ahead and do what you want, it’s not like I’m going to feel any better or any worse.”

Taeyeon fell silent. She just watched Jessica look for her keys from her bag. She stood next to Jessica and leaned on the wall with her arms crossed. “I heard about Donghae’s side and now all I need is to hear yours before I can judge any of you.”

Jessica stopped searching through her bag and looked at Taeyeon with annoyance plastered on her face. “I think you hearing Donghae before me is enough punishment.” Jessica was about to open the door but Taeyeon spoke again.

“I haven’t told you my judgement. Did I say I’m taking his side? Jessica, what you’re going through, I don’t really care if you won’t tell me, as long as you believe I am always here to help you—each and every member of Girls’ Generation.” Taeyeon’s eyes moistened. “I have always been here and all I need right now is a reasonable cause why you left just like that and I will hear you out.”

Jessica avoided Taeyeon’s eyes and felt a sting of guilt. “I—I don’t know.” Jessica bit her lip. “I don’t know what’s going on with me either.” Jessica’s first tear escaped from her eyes but she quickly wiped it away. “He was always close to me. Every morning I wake up and he’s there threatening to shower me with sacks of cucumbers. Every single day I have spent with him, I never felt alone. It’s just that…” Taeyeon was slowly beginning to understand Jessica. She stepped closer to the poor vampire and rubbed her arms for comfort. “Recently, before I left, he was being so distant and he left no reasons. It was like he suddenly brushed me off his list of the people he meets daily. He was like—gone as the air that passes by. I wasn’t able to grasp the exact reason why. I couldn’t just—“ Jessica wiped the tears that kept coming. “I couldn’t just stay here—stay in a place where I still see him every day but at the same time feel like he’s not there at all. I had to get away and then I heard, as everyone knows, Jaejoong-oppa is back.”

Taeyeon couldn’t utter a word. Even as Jessica was explaining herself, Taeyeon could not really understand. It was beyond her ability to understand such situation. A trainee-trainer relationship was supposed to be healthy, friendly and loving—not the kind that’s happening between Donghae and Jessica. Moreover, Donghae cared a lot about her. Everything was just unbearably confusing. Not everyone knew, but it was Jaejoong who turned Jessica into a vampire. He was the one who brought her to SM Town. What she had become was because of Jaejoong—and after what happened between her and Donghae, she had no one to turn to but her creator.

“I know I’m being unreasonable, that’s why I told you, you can punish me. Just don’t let the TVXQ gods know about this. I’m not ready for that kind of punishment.” Jessica said when the door suddenly clicked open.

“Jessica-unnie?” Yuri was surprised to see Jessica. “Unnie!!!” She was too delighted to see her sister that she did not notice the sadness that filled the atmosphere between Taeyeon and Jessica. She quickly embraced her sister tightly. “I’m so glad you’re back.”

“M-me too.” Jessica said without sobbing.

“Anyway, I have to go.” Yuri raised a folder. “Got lots of work to do with Shindong-oppa today. Jessica-unnie, I’ll tell you at once if we’re able to finish the papers of transferring trainees. I’m not really sure who’ll be available from the Super Junior oppas. I wish Hankyung and Kibum oppa will be back very soon so they can take you.” Yuri said lively. Jessica couldn’t utter a word as she was still in the middle of processing Yuri’s statements.

“What transfer of trainees?” Jessica was finally able to say. Taeyeon looked down and bit her lip. It was the part that she wanted to tell Jessica since she arrived a while ago.

“Oh, you don’t know yet?” Yuri glanced at Taeyeon then looked at Jessica once again. “Donghae-oppa received a punishment from TVXQ. He’s been working at their office now and he’s suspended as a trainer. His return as a trainer is still very vague as of the moment that’s why his trainees are being transferred to other trainers—which includes you.” Yuri explained and saw how Jessica’s expression changed. “Anyway, I really have to go now. It’s really nice to see you back.” She hugged Jessica one more time before leaving.

“I guess TVXQ gods won’t punish you.” Taeyeon said and hugged Jessica who was left astounded. “I will not punish you, Sica. My heart won’t be able to take it if I add more to your burden. Knowing Donghae’s punished, I hope that’s enough to make you realize the consequences of your actions.”

“That’s my own punishment.” Jessica’s tears were unstoppable. Taeyeon could only comfort her by wrapping her arms around the fragile vampire.

 

 

[A/N: This story has been running for more than a year now and I was thinking a lot lately on what I can do to return the favor of you guys reading... so... I can't do that much but this is a chance for you to ask questions! :) This will only be after reading Chapter 23 and all will be answered before I post Chapter 24 so give the questions right away. :)

ASK ANYTHING AND I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER THEM ALL.
Do put them on the comment box. =)

Let's see what you've got! ^__^ This should be fun!]