Chapter 22: A Sense of Care and Mistrust

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: Tell me something about this after you read =) Your comments really help me in fixing the storyline even if I already plotted the story until its ending. If you guys are wondering, yes, I'm using Donghae and Jessica as side story. But it will be important. =) Enjoy!]



 

“Are you sure you’re still okay?” The guy sitting across Jessica asked. She was still sober but the alcohol was starting to take over her.

“Is that what you want me to say?” She sipped her glass of vodka once again. “I’m perfectly fine.” She ironically said as she was clearly undergoing something that she couldn’t tell to the guy sitting in front of her whom she barely knew.

He smiled at her, showing genuine concern and understanding. “I’ve been with you for days, Jessica, and it’s kind of hard to believe that. You’ve been in that kind of state all those days and I’m not sure—but maybe I might start believing ‘okay’ to you is like this.”

“Ok Taecyeon.” Jessica mumbled his name and looked up at him, “You’ll be a fool to believe that.”

“Yeah, I guess he’s been fool enough to deal with you.” Another voice came behind Jessica. Taecyeon looked at the man then he glanced back to Jessica.

“Excuse me, sir?” Taecyeon felt a bit disrespected by the person who just barged inside the bubble that he and Jessica have been. He faked a laugh, “Well, when it comes to love, I guess we’re all fool—“

“Love?” Donghae laughed. Jessica did not even bother looking at him. “Trust me, friend. With this woman, there is no love.”

Taecyeon rested his chin on his clasped hands. “Then what does it mean when a man and woman stays in one apartment for days?”

“Broke? Because if you’ve got enough money, you’ll be able to afford two apartments because you particularly know, as a man, that it is entirely improper for a man and a woman to stay under one roof unless they are couple.” Donghae answered as if he was a genius. “Come on, friend. I’m not going to buy that statement of yours. What I want you to do is to leave this girl to me—trust me, we have lots of things to talk about and none of those include you, ironically.” Donghae nodded but Taecyeon just looked at Jessica to see if she was going to say something as he wished she would.

She was already gripping tightly to her glass of vodka. She finally took the courage to sip the remaining vodka in one shot and faced Donghae. “Excuse me, but I think the way you to talk to the man that I stayed with, in one apartment with one bedroom, is a bit disrespectful.”

It was as if Donghae’s throat was filled with a lump he couldn’t even swallow. Taecyeon smiled a little as if it was victorious. Dead air.

Jessica saw how Donghae’s furious look changed into something more tranquil. His eyes were looking down and slowly met hers. She could not really tell if they were showing invisible tears that could she only see or they were showing nothing—just the usual Donghae, the trainer she always knew—playful, lively, and a vampire with stoned heart who can never feel the indescribable feelings she always have had for him. She tried to compose herself back to what everyone knew her of—that snobbish ‘ice princess’.

She raised an eyebrow at Donghae. “Wait, was I too harsh? Should I be saying, ‘Hey! You should join Taecyeon and me in our date, come and sit with us!’? I’m sorry, Donghae-ssi. It doesn’t work that way now—“

Taecyeon looked at Jessica. She was acting differently—even worse when Donghae came. Besides, if he was in the shoes of Donghae, he’d be hurt by her words. He reached out and held Jessica’s hand that was on the table.

“Take it easy.”

“He’s fine—like he always is.” She told Taecyeon and looked at Donghae once again. “If you’re not going to say anything that will make sense, then please,” she inhaled deeply, unsure if he choice of words would be the wisest. “Leave.”

Jessica turned her back on Donghae and faced Taecyeon once again. She looked down to her plate and was waiting if Donghae will leave or say something.

“I-I’m not really sure anymore of what makes sense to you, Sica.” Donghae finally spoke after being frozen to his ground. “But please, go back home.” Donghae waited for a few seconds of Jessica to say something, he needed an assurance that she’d be fine, that she feels fine, and that she’d be home soon. It did not matter anymore if he’s completely clueless why Jessica was obviously despising him in front of a stranger to him, and probably to her. It did not matter if her words pierced through every part of his body—all he knew was that standing there, seeing Jessica with another guy, and that she wanted to stay with that guy without him in the picture, hurt every part of him.

Seohyun smiled at the sight of Donghae coming for Jessica. She just knew he’d find her sister ahead of everyone else. However, her smile faded when she saw Donghae walking away and out of that bar and restaurant without Jessica. She wanted to go to Jessica, but right now, she needed to talk to Donghae and ask if anything happened.

She could see how upset Donghae was. He did not even notice she was standing on his way—he just had to leave that place right away. She quietly followed him outside and found him making his way towards a nearby side walk bench. He sat there—feeling defeated and holding the earth and balancing it on his back. It was hard for him to deal with Jessica in such a manner. It was too unexpected. It was definitely not what he expected from Jessica after all the years of training with her. He could not even tell or make a guess what drove her that mad.

“Can I sit here?” That sweet and calm voice made Donghae look up.

“If you’re looking for Jessica, your sister must be around, she might be anywhere. You shouldn’t waste your time.” Donghae told Seohyun who sat beside him. “I’m just… resting.”

“I saw her, oppa.” Seohyun started but did not know what to add.

“Then what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be bringing her home?” Donghae asked as if everything was totally fine.

“I saw her, with you, in that bar and restaurant. I saw what happened.” Seohyun said as Donghae, then, avoided her gaze. He was not comfortable with the subject that just happened. “However, I do not know what happened.”

“You don’t have to know, Seohyun. Just go and bring her home. Your sisters are worried as hell.” However, Seohyun did not even move tad bit. Donghae sighed, “You shouldn’t have followed me, you know.”

“Well, you should know too, that no matter you try to hide it, it shows. You look very upset, oppa. Tell me what happened.” Seohyun tried but it seemed that Donghae would not spill a single word. “What is it that you cannot even say it?”

Donghae looked at Seohyun and her eyes tell him that she’s Jessica’s sister. If he could not tell anyone from his brothers, Seohyun won’t be a risk. She’s that loveable and sweet maknae of Girls’ Generation despite the image that she has shown through years. For once, he wanted to trust her.

“I came running from a meeting with the TVXQ gods without telling them any excuse as soon as I heard Jessica’s missing.” Donghae looked down at his hands. “I couldn’t tell them it’s about Jessica, they’d be really mad about it.”

Seohyun nodded lightly, “Of course, they will punish her for her recklessness.”

“I know, that’s why I just couldn’t.” Donghae glanced at Seohyun and looked back down. “Now, I’d be waiting for my punishment once I get back.”

Seohyun’s eyes widened a bit for understanding what he meant. Donghae obviously kept something from TVXQ and that would mean lying—not to mention he did it right in front of them, out in the open during the meeting that he said. That would mean he will be punished in scrutiny unless forgiven.  

“Oppa, you can’t be doing this for good and be punished for it.”

“But there’s no way that I’m going to let Jessica down as—I,” he sighed in defeat, “I already did.” Donghae answered back.  There was a few seconds of silence. Seohyun did not want to interfere what Donghae was going to say anymore. She wanted to understand, she needed to understand, so she had to lend him her ears. “That punishment that’s waiting for me back at the town would not really matter if only I could bring her home. But now, I’m devastated more than how I look.”

Donghae told Seohyun what happened back there when he found Jessica. Seohyun finally understood why he ended up leaving Jessica instead of bringing her back home. She felt how Donghae felt—upset and extremely hurt. However, a fragment was missing to understand what happened—Jessica’s reason.

“Please, Seohyun. Bring her home. I don’t want to be worrying while I’m being punished. That’s just twice as hard as what I’m going through right now.” Donghae covered her face and sighed in exasperation. His hands were crossed as he said, “Jessica’s special to me, it doesn’t matter if she won’t ever feel the same way towards me. I just need her to be safe even without me.”

“You care about her a lot, oppa.” Seohyun said and patted Donghae’s shoulder. “I know we’re not capable of loving a person, but caring about someone is not beyond our capabilities. Maybe we should stop denying that we care for someone, let that person know we care about them before it starts hurting us too much.”

Donghae chuckled lightly, “Are those words really coming from you, Seohyun-ah? That mysterious, fierce and powerful vampire I have—I mean, everyone has always known?”

Seohyun lightly chuckled too, cheeks are quite blushing as she tried to hide them from Donghae. “Yes, because I care about someone too.” She stood up to leave, “Well, I have to go and no, I’m not bringing Jessica home even if you won’t. It’s because you found her, oppa.”

“I think I just lost her too.” Donghae said. “Seohyun—jebal. Tell your sisters you found her, they will hate me too if they’ll know that I found her first.”

Seohyun shook her head, “As much as I want too, I think my sister’s big enough to find her way home.” She pursed her lips and smiled at Donghae, “I hope you’ll be fine but I’ll get going now.” She stood up and stepped closer towards Donghae and patted his shoulder once again, “Even if my sisters will come to hate you, Jessica-unnie won’t. Hold on to that.”



 

Seohyun was walking towards nowhere with all the thoughts about Jessica and Donghae clouding up her mind when suddenly, two men blocked her path.

She was startled but then she was relieved when she saw who they were. “You guys startled me.” She softly smiled at Junhyung and Yoseob. Even if she was smiling brightly at them, the two did not seem to be very happy. “Is there something wrong?”

“There are so many things that are wrong.” Junhyung said but Yoseob kind of stopped him.

“We don’t want to harm you, Seohyun-ah.” Yoseob said. “But we need that necklace that you and Jaejoong were talking about.”

“Wait a minute,” Seohyun’s eyebrows furrowed. “I don’t get it. Why is this so sudden and how did you know about that conversation between Jaejoong and me?”

“Just hand it to us and everything will be fine. We’ll leave it from here without any harm.” Yoseob said, his eyes glistened to something that Seohyun did not catch right away. Her eyes shifted to Junhyung and his eyes were completely different. They were black, completely black.

“What part of ‘I don’t get it’ don’t you guys get? If you guys could just tell the real reason to me, I will know what to do and what to give you.” Seohyun was still keeping her calmness because these guys were her friends and she wouldn’t let out the beast in her and risk killing them once she gets extremely anxious.

Junhyung stepped closer to her, but this time, Yoseob did not stop him anymore. He was looking tremendously dangerous yet Seohyun did not want to take his appearance as a menace. It was intimidating but then again, the thought of having these guys as her friends fogged up her already clouded mind.

“What part of ‘we need it’ don’t you get?” Junhyung said. “Hand it to us, Seo Joohyun of SM Town.” Seohyun’s eyes widened and shook her head lightly. “We don’t care if you’re the strongest vampire existing next to Kim Jaejoong. We need what we need and we have to have it.”

Seohyun’s eyes finally changed their state. There’s no point in hiding her identity if they already knew of it before she did know they did. She’s done avoiding the thought that they came for nothing but a friendly deal—they were looking dangerous and so they are. And Seohyun’s not going to let this pass.

“I cannot hand you something I don’t know of.” Seohyun said. She was not lying. She was not denying Yoseob and Junhyung what they were asking for because she hasn’t found this necklace yet. Besides, if she already has it, she would have Jaejoong explain it to her first before handing it to anyone else.

Junhyung looked at Yoseob and they nodded lightly. They held Seohyun by her arms and started dragging her. She was exerting much strength but she could not risk the sight of other innocent people. She let them drag her towards an empty alley.

“If you need something from me, then I need to know why.” Seohyun firmly said.

“Let me translate that to, ‘You’re going to have to fight against me first before I hand it to you’ and my response is: Challenge accepted.” Junhyung said and charged towards Seohyun who quickly stepped away from him. However, Yoseob attacked her after Junhyung did and his fangs were showing. Seohyun saw his eyes were completely black closely.

“We could kill you.” Yoseob said. His appearance started to change slowly. Yoseob was one of the kindest in Beast and she could see that he was trying to hold himself back. When she was able to get back to her feet, Junhyung was out of sight. However, a wolf was suddenly present behind Yoseob.

“Yeah, you can. I could see that now.” Seohyun said. She wasn’t sure if she’s supposed to feel fury towards the two or if she’s supposed to run away as fast as she could because a wolf bite can kill vampires. However, she remembered Jaejoong did not die so she’s willing to take the risk. If Beast weren’t her friends at all, she’s done being one to them.

Yoseob was struggling, he was holding on to the wall beside him. He clearly did not want to turn right at that moment. The other wolf, which Seohyun assumed was Junhyung, growled loudly as if he was shouting to Yoseob.

“I—I’m not going to hurt her, hyung. She has to give it to us, we—we shouldn’t kill her.” Yoseob struggled. He knew that once they turn, they will never be able to control themselves. Right at that moment, Junhyung was going to attack Seohyun off-guard. “Hyung, no!!!” Yoseob shouted and suddenly, a gunshot was heard.

For a few seconds, Seohyun and Yoseob stared at each other. “Out of the six of you, he’s got huge problems with temper.” Jaejoong walked slowly towards the scene and tucked the gun behind him. “I know you already saw me that’s why you tried not to turn. I appreciate that, Yoseob. But you’ll have to deal with your brother better next time.”

Junhyung lied helpless on the ground as Yoseob bent to help him. “I can kill you, Jae. I always can. And next time, I will include her.” Yoseob aided Junhyung who was still cursing the vampires. The shot was in his leg so Yoseob was helping him to stand up. He already turned back to human form. “You’re lucky you lived.”

Seohyun was still astounded by everything that’s happening. Too much had happened in a day for her to handle. Jaejoong put an arm over her shoulder to leave but looked back at Junhyung, “I know you can kill us, but I won’t let you.”



 

Jaejoong brought Seohyun to his apartment. Luckily, Yoochun and Junsu weren’t there to annoy the hell out of him. However, much to his concerns, Seohyun was silent since they left the injured Junhyung and Yoseob.

“Maybe you should rest. I know you weren’t expecting that Beast is a clan of… beasts, literally.” Jaejoong led her to the sofa. “I’m not sure if you want coffee, tea, water or blood.” He said from the kitchen. Seohyun stood up and headed towards the kitchen where Jaejoong was. “Do you want anything?”

“I don’t need to drink anything, Jaejoong.” Seohyun said with a stern voice. Jaejoong looked at her and he could read that she was looking for answers. She knew she already handled too much that day, but this was something urgent.

He closed the fridge and looked at Seohyun, “Of course, I should know that. You’re Seo Joohyun, and you’ll always try to get into the bottom of everything.” Jaejoong said and walked towards his office but Seohyun blocked his way.

“What, are you going to ignore my thoughts now?”

Jaejoong closed his eyes, “I am not ignoring them because obviously, they’re everywhere.” He looked at Seohyun, “but let’s talk about them tomorrow. You’re not the only one who’s tired here. I am in dire need of rest too.” He continued walking towards his office but was stopped by Seohyun once again.

“Why? Because you’re still going to think about excuses that will be very believable?” Seohyun said. Jaejoong stopped by his office’s door and faced Seohyun once again. He did not want to listen anymore but he’s going to hear her out. “What big secret is it that you have to think over the night for an excuse? Huh? Tell me, am I being paranoid or everything is just happening so fast that it makes me wonder what other secrets are there for you to keep from me?”

“Continue.” Jaejoong crossed his arms. “I’m not sure if I need to take down notes on your questions because I won’t be able to answer them since they’re coming like cannon balls straight from the canyon.”

“You, asking me for the necklace, and Beast, asking me for the same thing, is totally not a coincidence so whatever excuse you have for me to be fooled, I am never going to buy it.” Seohyun sighed. Tears were undeniably hiding behind her eyes. But Jaejoong could see through her and it was his first time to see Seohyun this fragile. Her weakness was always her past, anything related to her parents, such as that necklace, will weaken her.

“Seohyun, just—just stop.” Jaejoong couldn’t take it. He thought he was done hurting Seohyun, mocking her, and bringing her down. But he guessed he would always fail. “I told you it’s better if we’ll talk about this tomorrow. And no, I’m not going to lie. I never did. It’s all in your head because you never trusted me.”

“You’re right.” Seohyun said, “and maybe I never will.” They stared at each other for few more seconds until a paper slid under the door of Jaejoong’s office. He slowly picked it up and looked at Seohyun.

“You don’t have to trust me, then. But I won’t let you go out there and be eaten alive by those wolves.” Jaejoong said but without waiting for Seohyun’s action or response, he barged inside his office and saw his stuffs scattered everywhere.

“I won’t let you shoot another wolf because they’re your friends, our friends.” Seohyun said before going inside Jaejoong’s office and saw what happened inside.