Chapter 11: The Punishment

The Heartbreakers

Kris zipped up his rugged leather jacket as the cool morning breeze brushed his face while he made his way through the forest. He wasn’t going into the city just yet; after all he had gotten a day off after winning his match the night before. Instead, he was walking to the far end of the forest as the familiar and iconic pink house slowly grew into sight. Sure the pink house looked all cute and kiddy from a distance, but it was anything but that. While it wasn’t huge like most of the other elite heartbreakers’, the Girls’ Generation crib was still a sight to behold.  

Overlooking the vast ocean and towering mountains, the pink house had a view fit for royalty and the architecture to match. It had the all elegance and splendor for a European mansion, majestic and imposing but had a touch of warmth and gentleness of softer Asian apartment. This combination formed a perfect blend of power and grace, showcasing the respect its occupants commanded and yet embracing all the attributes that made them thus popular and well-liked. It might have resembled a doll house of sorts, but the vibe it gave off was anything but.

As Kris walked through the white picket fence, he slowed down to compose himself. He didn’t get the chance to speak to Seohyun the night before; there was a compelling need he felt to congratulate and praise her for her win. Before he could knock on the door though, someone had opened it from the inside.

 “Oh!” Tiffany exclaimed as she jumped in surprise to seeing such a beautiful creature this early in the morning. Kris looked down sheepishly. “Are you looking for someone?”

“Seohyun-shi.”

“Oh, you must be Kris!” Tiffany blurted out, she bit her tongue upon realizing how that might have sounded. “I mean, from last night’s match against Jjong. You are Kris Wu, right?”

“Y-yes,” Kris stuttered; Tiffany’s radiant beauty was making it extremely difficult for him to be coherent. She noticed that Kris seemed to be slightly uptight. Amused by his expression, Tiffany let out a cute laugh, eyes forming into a crescent; this caused Kris to fluster even further. “Anyway,” he continued, turning away in embarrassment. “I’m looking for Seohyun.”

“Ah, right. Of course you are.” Tiffany bit her lip, looking down for a brief moment before meeting Kris’ gaze once more. “She left early; I’ll let her know you dropped by.” She saw the disappointment his eyes as she finished.

Kris nodded in dismay, “I see. Thanks anyway.” He smiled weakly at Tiffany as he walked towards the city. The sun now lit up the skies a warm orange, beams falling onto the lush forest below.

Tiffany sighed to herself, her mind questioning the need of her earlier actions. She didn’t whether she lied for the better or this little white lie serve to let both parties down.

 

“Don’t worry; I think Seohyun would appreciate that you covered up for her. It was a favor I’m sure she would really be grateful for. Don’t think too much, arraso?” Taeyeon said. She had appeared behind Tiffany while she was pre-occupied in covering up for Seohyun.

“I don’t understand her. Why doesn’t she want Kris knowing that she’ll be staying in the city for a week?” Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, pouting as she asked. “Unnie, what if that vampire appears at our doorsteps every morning? I can’t lie seven days straight.” Taeyeon laughed that that lovable expression, pinching Tiffany’s cheeks as she finished.

“We always lie, making people believe we are mortals like themselves who are capable of loving. We get them to fall for us, thinking that we will do the same, only to break their hearts at the end of the day.” Taeyeon ruffled Tiffany’s hair, “It’s okay to tell a little lie for your sister, treat it as a favor to her.” She then headed outside, leaving Tiffany still pouting on the bean-bag chair she had rested on. Tiffany could not comprehend the need to do anything wrong with the exception of breaking hearts; she was too kindhearted for that.

 


Instead of heading straight to the city, Seohyun made a detour to visit her parents’ grave. The town was quite a distance from Seoul and as such, she had to carry her bag a long way. It wasn’t bothersome at all, but her thoughts were occupying her too much. Whenever she visits her parents’ grave, she becomes the baby that she was; a crying stoned-heart vampire.

As soon as Seohyun arrived at her parents’ tomb, she could not help but feel sad. Her mood had become gloomier than it was the night before. In her arms was a bouquet of white flowers that she always used to bring upon visiting. She knelt down on her knees and paid her respects before finally sitting in a comfortable position, brushing the fallen leaves off the tomb with her bare hands. Looking at the tombbefore her, Seohyun read her parents’ names like child learning to speak her first words.

“I’m off to live in the city for one week. For the first time, I am punished for being a careless vampire. Mom, Dad, I’m sorry. Maybe deep inside I’m still a child at times, acting without thinking of the consequences,” She muttered as she brushed the surface of the tomb. “I might look strong and brave on the outside but there’s still a soft spot in my heart that will always be there for you. I miss you both so much.” Her eyes moistened at the words she was uttering. “Maybe I could have been stronger inside if you are still with me.” The vampire controlled her emotions and held back the tears. She rubbed her hands together before lying down beside the grave of her parents. “You did leave me with eight wonderful sisters though. I couldn’t ask for much more.” She stared at the bright blue sky blankly. She slowly closed her eyes as if to try to fall asleep.

 


“Yah Hyung! Keep those curtains closed.” Yoochun said as he covered his face with a pillow. Junsu was left sleeping on the floor after having one too many drinks last night. The searing light entered the room as Jaejoong drew the curtains to the sides.

“What a beautiful morning,” Jaejoong said, glancing down from the windows. “Get up, you two. Clean up the living room. Both of you are so messy,” He said as he walked towards the hung-over vampires. “I’m heading out for awhile, be sure to have this mess cleared by the time I’m back.”

“Where the hell are you going? Chasing after that bratty vampire again?!” Yoochun asked but his eyes were still shut closed, head throbbing from the hangover.

“No, I’m off to visit her parents’ grave. Watch your tone or the next time you say something like that I’m going to rip your heart out. Anyway I could use some time to pay my respects to those deceased vampires,” Jaejoong said as he fixed his sleeves in front of the mirror.

Yoochun finally opened his eyes and slowly sat up. “I don’t get you. You never tell us about Seohyun and her family. Stop keeping everything to yourself!”

Jaejoong chuckled at Yoochun, “Just go back to sleep and clean the room when your head stops aching. I’ll be off now.” Jaejoong took his car keys from the side table and left the apartment.

 


Kris wandered around the city. Since he had won the battle last night, he was excused from dating and taking up new requests. Heechul did not talk to him, he only texted him, ‘Have a good day. We’ll talk another day. Great work last night by the way, your mentor got hyped up for his game too. Kkkk, go enjoy!’

He put off plans to visiting his parents for the moment. Maybe he could do it tomorrow. As of this moment, all he could think about was how things turned out the way it did last night. He was on the verge of dying. One blackout later, he was standing on his feet, the opposition on the ground and grievously wounded. Something happened, but he couldn’t figure out what. He continued walking along the streets as his mind drifted deep in his thoughts.

 


Seohyun was feeling the heat of the sun on her face as she reminisced the times she spent with her parents but her eyes slowly opened when a shadow was casted over her.

“Should I bury you beside your parents?” A familiar voice asked. She blinked her eyes twice as it adjusting to the figure that stood before her against the light. Her eyes widened at the sight of the beautiful face looking down at her. In an instant, she got up to her feet and put some distance between her and the vampire that had just appeared. Jaejoong chuckled at her. “Sometimes I wonder if you’re really strong or just being a coward.”

He expected an attack from her, but instead Seohyun slowly walked back towards her parents’ tomb. She bent down to pick up her bag and arranged the flowers she bought neatly. She let out a deep sigh before turning her back and slowly walking away. The fierce vampire was not in the mood to fight in front of her parents’ grave.

Jaejoong watched her walk away as a question came his mind. Are they her weakness? Is it possible that her parents were the one thing that got to her? He was trying his best to find the weakness of a vampire almost, if not on par with him in terms of strength.

He shrugged his thoughts off and paid respect to Seohyun’s parents’ grave. “Your daughter never forgets about you guys.” He stood up and looked around the empty cemetery before settling looked down. “No matter how many years have passed, I’m still sorry for not being able to save you in time. All I could do is to take revenge for you. My parents were so disappointed in me that they left me. If only I could have saved you from those mortals, maybe your daughter and I could be living happily together and not like the enemies we seem to be now.”

The Seo and Kim families were a big clan of vampires in the past. They were extremely close family friends. Mr. and Mrs. Seo arranged a marriage for their daughter, Seohyun, with the Kim’s son, Jaejoong. However, as Seohyun was too young at that time, both parents agreed not to let her meet Jaejoong yet. They were afraid that Seohyun might react negatively and as such they were contented to let Jaejoong wait. Jaejoong was close to Seohyun’s parents and his father loved him for that; for being a good soon-to-be son-in-law to Seohyun’s parents.

While Jaejoong knew Seohyun for a long time, she never had the chance to meet him. She did not even know about anything about the Kim Family. When Seohyun’s parents were attacked by mortals, Jaejoong ran to save his future in-laws. But all he saw was a teenage girl trying to kill the humans with her bare hands. She fainted before she was able to do so and Jaejoong ripped out their hearts out, enraged by the sight he had just witnessed. Seohyun didn’t know about this; her memory told her that she was the one who killed those humans.

With all the misery and pain involved in this affair, the Kims decided to leave for good and start anew. But Jaejoong refused to go with his parents with Seohyun still in his mind. His parents got mad at him for choosing to stay when there’s nothing left for him but the possibility of death. But his decision was firm. Living under Soo Man, Jaejoong improved a lot as a vampire. But despite his greatest efforts, Seohyun was nowhere to be found; no traces whatsoever were left behind. Soo Man was impressed by Jaejoong’s skills and drive to the extent that he was soon placed together with Yunho and Changmin in TVXQ. It wasn’t long before Soo Man learned about Jaejoong’s past and encounters with humans. He saw Jaejoong as a killer rather than a vampire who had his hands forced and as such was banished from SM Town. Soon after Jaejoong left, Seohyun joined the town. Fate wasn’t really in favor of the two meeting.

With little left to do with his life, Jaejoong decided to research on how to break Lucifer’s curse so he could impress Soo Man and be accepted back to SM Town. But as time went by, he started searching for the Fallen Angels that were cursed like the vampires. His goal was to hunt down the Fallen Angels because he didn’t like the idea of them being the first break the curse. Pride had always been the main driving force behind his actions.

But what kept bringing him? Was it just pride, or was it because of Seohyun. Even if they did not have the chance to know each other personally, Jaejoong felt something. He was engaged with Seohyun for as long as he could remember by their parents arranged before that disastrous event. Engagement doesn’t enable one to fall in love. It’s more of a commitment. And this was a commitment Jaejoong was inclined towards despite it not making sense logically.

 


Seohyun was waiting for a bus to come by so that she could finally get herself to the city.  Her gaze was on the ground; she missed her parents even more now that she had just visited them. Her thoughts were disrupted when a sleek black car stopped in front of her. The window rolled down.

“Need a ride?” Jaejoong asked. Seohyun shifted her gaze towards the other side of the street, completely snubbing the presence of Jaejoong. Without any hesitation, Jaejoong got down from his car and opened the door of the passenger seat. “What do I have to do to prove that I mean no harm to you?” He asked, offering Seohyun a ride.

Seohyun eyes flared a golden-red as she mocked, “I am not interested in getting to know you, whether you come in peace or for war.” She then crossed her arms and looked away from Jaejoong. Seconds later, Seohyun looked back; visibly peeved that Jaejoong was still standing there.

“I insist on giving you a ride,” Jaejoong said firmly.

Seohyun grew irritated and glared at Jaejoong, but the next thing she knew was being dragged inside the car as the car begun to pick up speed. “KIM JAE JOONG!!!”

“So, where are you going?” He asked, ignoring her reaction.

“I’ll gladly go anywhere if that means having you let me off the car this instance,” Seohyun sarcastically replied.

“Well, I’ll take that to mean that you wish to visit my residence then.”

“What?! Yah! Kim Jaejoong! Stop the car now!” Seohyun whined. “I have no intentions on going to your house. Not now, not ever.”

“I have no plans of bringing you there either. I’m staying with two chaotic vampires and it would irk me nothing more than to have them to even lay a finger on you,” Jaejoong said while his eyes were still focused on the road. But before Seohyun could say anything else, he asked once more. “So where are you going?”

Seohyun had not the slightest idea as to where she was headed; she had yet to find lodging for the week. “Somewhere far away from you that’s for sure.”

Jaejoong sighed; Seohyun would not take him seriously. “Fine then just tell me when to stop once we reach the city.”

The ride to Seoul was filled with silence. Neither of the two vampires wanted to add to the tension that filled the air and as such they kept their mouths shut instead. The feeling was mutual that this beat than having them both fighting over even the smallest matter.

Seohyun glanced around trying to see where they were. At the first sight of an apartment building, she got out of the car without another word spoken to Jaejoong. Shocked by Seohyun’s sudden actions he had little option but to drive on with the vehicles behind him piling up, horns flaring. He saw Seohyun entered an apartment and talking to the receptionist but he could only drive away.

That afternoon, Seohyun finally found a place. It was a simple bed and breakfast apartment with just a single bed and a dressing table. She’d only be using the place for seven days so she didn’t need much more. Staring at the ceiling would have bored her to death and a bigger one would probably make no difference. Lying on the bed as she spent her time away, Seohyun allowed herself to fall into a deep trance as she started to collect her thoughts.

 


As night fell, Kris headed back towards Exo’s house under the starry skies. He beamed when he bumped into Tiffany who was taking a stroll with Jessica. The two vampires smiled meekly at him. But before they could pass by each other, Kris mustered the courage to speak.

“Did you happen to see Seohyun today?” He finally spoke. Tiffany and Jessica exchanged looks at each other before turning back Kris. “I mean, I was at the city for the whole day and I did not bump into her.”

Tiffany forced a smile, “I bumped to her this afternoon, I told her you were looking for her and she said she’s sorry. She’ll be coming home late today.”

“Is she working? She won last night so she’s off from work, right?” Kris asked.

“She said she’ll be late so that means ‘Hey, Kris. Don’t wait for me.’ So if I were you, I’ll stop,” Jessica’s words rattled like a machine gun until so Tiffany cut her off.

“What Sica-unnie meant is that you don’t have to wait for Seohyun. Wherever Seohyun is she’s probably safe so that should not be your concern right?” Tiffany said. Kris cringed, of course, wherever Seohyun is was his concern; she was his mission. “Well, don’t worry. I’ll tell her that we bumped to you again; you will see her around soon. She’s just busy.”

“Alright, I’m sorry for bothering you two. I wasn’t aware about that, I’m so sorry.” Kris bowed slightly before walking back towards their house. Tiffany and Sica looked at each other as they both sighed.

 

“That vampire has a soft heart.” Tiffany said. “If only he knew.”

“He’s only a mission to Seohyun. She was too dedicated to her work that she messed up. Look what that vampire had done to Seo, now she’s stuck all alone in the city.” Jessica hissed as they walk side by side.

“But still, unnie~ you should have watched your words in front of Kris.” Tiffany put her arm around Jessica’s shoulder. “Seohyun wouldn’t like it if Kris knew she was avoiding him.”

“Alright~” Jessica sighed. She has always been straightforward but Seohyun was a very kind maknae and as such that she couldn’t help but do her favor.

 


As soon as the sun rose to the start of another day, Seohyun fixed herself. When she got down from her apartment on the third floor of the building, she was surprised to see Jaejoong leaning on the hood of his car. The pale skin of the vampire glowed in the sunlight, almost as if the sun were a spotlight. Still basking in the morning sun, Jaejoong crossed his arms at the sight of Seohyun, “Because you ran away from me yesterday without saying any word, care to explain why you stayed in the city for the night?”



[A/N:] I just want you guys to know that in two days, I'll be entering my first year in college. Schedules must be a lo more hectic than high school, or more paper works? I don't know. ;__; But I don't have classes every Friday so I'll still try to update. :) I'm really overwhelmed with the love you're giving for this story :3

Just recently, I received a message asking for my permission for this fanfic to be translated to Vietnamese. I thought that was too much since well... this is just a normal fanfic right? But I was really happy. You guys.... do you think this story deserves such love? :3 I'm really happy! :3 The translated copy of this fic will be posted on kites.vn so you guys can probably spread it for more love right. :3 Or if some of you are Vietnamese, you can probably read there once the chapters are up! :) Really.... thank you guys! SO MUCH! \(^__^)/ *hugs each one of you!*

And I have to yet again, thank Bryan for editing the chapters. :) He's really good at it--no, prolly the best!--and for being patient with all the crappy things I write in every chapter. :) Thank you!