Chapter 4: Pursuit of Mission

The Heartbreakers

Seohyun headed back to the house as the sun emerged over the hills at the far end of the forest. Some of her sisters were already fixing themselves; it was another long day ahead for the beautiful heartbreakers. She closed the door behind her.

“You look pale.” Yuri said as she fixed her dress. The velvet red dress hugged her body in a way that complemented her flawless curves; she had the figure, why not flaunt it? There hadn’t been any mortal man around that had been able to resist her S-line figure; throughout the years, she had even managed to mesmerize a fair handful of ladies along the way as well. Not that it ever bothered her; she had always loved the attention she received from mortals.

“I bought a new set of make-up. You can use them~” Tiffany said, with a pillow flying from across the room as she finished her sentence. “YAH! What was that for?!” She eyed Hyoyeon, who had thrown it at her.

“She meant that maybe there’s something bothering our Seo-baby.” Hyoyeon said, catching the pillow that Tiffany threw back at her.

“Throwing the pillow was very unnecessary,” Tiffany said raising her eyebrows at Hyoyeon.

“Unnie~” YoonA blinked her eyes beautifully at Tiffany; her hands clasped on her chest.

“Can, can I?”

“Buy your own make up kit,” Tiffany cut her off as she smacked her lips glossed with shiny lip balm. YoonA pouted as headed towards her room. “I was kidding! Go use it!” Tiffany shouted and chuckled at her own playfulness. YoonA’s footsteps could be heard as she rushed excitedly towards Tiffany’s room.

“So, what’s bothering you?” Hyoyeon asked, as she and Sooyoung argued over which drama they should watch. Sooyoung ran around the dining table as she chased Hyoyeon for the remote. Seohyun walked towards the staircase, oblivious to her sisters’ childish bickers.

“Oh, you’re back. I’m heading out early today.” Taeyeon said, as she put her earrings while walking down the stairs. She looked as ravishing as always and her petite figure coupled with her sweet charms meant that men would quickly fall head-over-heels for her. In terms of heartbreaking abilities, she was in no way inferior to her maknae; Seohyun was seen to be the best lady heartbreaker only because she took on cases more regularly as compared to her unnie.

“Headache~” Jessica yawned as she tied her messy hair in a bun. She stopped by the railings on the second floor as she looked down at her sisters.

“That’s too much sleep.” Taeyeon shot, eyeing the lazy girl with a disapproving look as she reached the living room.

Seohyun was lifeless like a living dead, expressionless and pale. Everything passing thought in her had bothered her; the racket around her only served to compound the fluster in her mind.  

“The TVXQ gods issued a challenge to me; they want me to prove myself a worthy successor to the void Kim Jaejoong sunbae left behind,” Seohyun said. She was clearly burdened by the magnitude of the expectations her seniors had of her. The TVXQ gods had long mooted Seohyun as a viable successor; Kyuhyun expected that much of his trainee as well.

Suddenly, the eight girls stopped.  Even Sunny who just got out from the bathroom let her wet hair drip on her bathrobe. All of them looked towards Seohyun.

Caught off guard of the news, YoonA dropped Tiffany’s new set of make-up, but Tiffany reacted quickly, preventing the kit from smashing to the ground.

“Fany ah!” Taeyeon shouted, clearly displeased at her sister’s actions. As the leader, Taeyeon knew to punish whoever that broke the house rules; but right now she was more concerned about the maknae.

Everyone waited for Seohyun carry on. Her lack of expression and emotions were clearly getting to the rest of the members; they were no longer in the mood to joke around, with concerned expressions on their face as they looked on.

She sighed. “For the first time in my life, I felt scared.” Seohyun went on; scared couldn’t begin to express her emotions at the time as her eye began to well up. Taeyeon, being the ever caring sister and leader, walked up the stairs to comfort the burdened maknae.

“It will be fine, you’re the strongest vampire around and everyone knows that.” Taeyeon said, patting Seohyun’s right arm while holding her in a light embrace.

“Unnie’s right,” Sooyoung said. “You won’t leave us if you weren’t able enough. We have faith in you.” She threw a fist in the air to show her support to Seohyun.

“We’ll all be proud of you!” Yuri added, “You’re really strong and,”

“No.” Seohyun cut her off, everyone’s startled by the maknae’s forcefulness. “I’m not strong enough, I’m not.” The pink crib suddenly fell silent once again.

“What are you saying? Stop putting yourself down, we believe in you.” Taeyeon wanted to pull Seohyun in for a hug and ease the burden on her sister but she saw the gaze in Seohyun’s eyes; it was gleaming in that deep golden-red hue again and Taeyeon knew to back off from her.

“I was tasked to break a vampire’s heart, Kris’ heart.” Everyone was taken aback as silence engulfed the house once again. No one dared break the silence; throats dried as they struggled to find the voice to say anything.

Everyone knew this was mission impossible. Yet Seohyun had to play god to turn this impossibility in to reality.

Once the unnies had regained their thoughts and voices, they took turns to put Seohyun at ease. They had convinced her that this mission should be treated in manner she should any other; she didn’t need a place amongst the TVXQ ranks. It would be a bonus if the mission could be accomplished. She would much rather stay with her Girls’ Generation unnies than write herself into the history books as the strongest vampire in TVXQ history; not that she did not convert that title, but the company and bond she shared with her sisters meant more than anything else to her. Regardless of the outcome, they all agreed that it would be risky to let anyone know of the mission; everyone promised that it would remain a secret among them.

***

Seohyun went out of the house after washing up and a change clothes. She was delighted when she saw Krystal and Taemin walking together.

“Unnieeeeee~!” Krystal waved excitedly from a distance as she ran towards Seohyun, hands on the straps of the backpack she carried; both she and Taemin were donning school uniforms. Seohyun smiled at the cute looking pair.

“Going to school?” Seohyun asked as she walked down the doorsteps towards the two bubbly vampires, whose heads bobbing around playfully over the white picket fence. The Girls’ Generation house looked as if it was a super-sized doll house and the younger vampires never got tired of how cute it looked. Watching the doll-like members walking out of the house just made it all the more fascinating to them. 

“No, we are going to hunt.” Taemin teased, as he winked playfully at his noona.

“Don’t play jokes with me Taemin,” Seohyun sighed. The two dongsaengs chuckled softly. “Don’t make me tell you to Kyuhyun seonsaeng-nim.”

“We can’t hunt in the morning unnie. Mortals hunt in the morning.” Krystal said as she smiled sweetly at Seohyun. “Oh by the way, Kyuhyun-oppa was looking for you.”

“Ah jinjja? Where is he?” Seohyun asked still walking with the two.

“He’s at the training complex.” Taemin answered for Krystal. “Noona, we need to get to the city now, bye!” he smiled.

“Okay, I’ll see you two around. Break their hearts gently, arasso?” Seohyun said, stopping in her tracks as she pointed her finger assertively at the two young vampires.

“You should be telling us to do well in school! What evil unnie~” Krystal chuckled and Seohyun laughed at her junior’s cheekiness. Krystal and Taemin waved at Seohyun and vanished into the bright morning sun.

Seohyun looked at her schedule on her classy leather planner. She sighed, clearly annoyed. She still had dates for the day and yet Kyuhyun had asked to meet him at the training complex early in the morning.

She walked pass the Exo-K boys at the park near the Training Complex. All eyes were on her; she felt self-conscious but she just smiled at them. The six juniors made a slight bow in respect to a senior they were somewhat intimidated; Seohyun couldn’t help but feel uneasy when her peers viewed her as superior to themselves. She might be a senior to them, but Seohyun was still one of the youngest vampires in town and it burdened her to be treated with such widespread respect.

 “Don’t you think she might end up killing Kris hyung?” Baekhyun asked the five angels with him. “She seems extremely fierce and incredibly strong.”

“She is incredibly strong.” Kris said, suddenly appearing behind them. “Stop worrying about me, guys. I’ll be fine.” His impassiveness silenced his brothers. Without another word, he departed the company of his brothers once more, heading towards the Training Complex, as Seohyun was earlier.

The six angels watched as Kris slowly faded away from their sight. “I think that vampire met her angelic match.” Kai said, his eyes still fixed on Kris.

“Kris is not one to be trifled with either,” Baekhyun added.

 

***

Seohyun had her hand on the door knob when she another pair grabbed hers. She looked up and to her surprise, she saw Kris. He quickly pulled his hand away as his eyes started to shimmer again; that seemed to always occur when he was in Seohyun’s presence. Against her cold silky smooth skin, Kris’ touch felt different; it was warm rather that the icy cold temperature a vampire normally had. But she ignored this as she focused on composing herself.

“Good morning,” Seohyun greeted, as she smiled meekly, walking through the door she had just opened. Kris followed behind as she felt the urge to make casual conversation with him. “Training with Heechul-oppa?” she asked. Seohyun wanted to know Kris better and this could be a good place to lay some groundwork.

“Ne~ I’m ditching my breakfast date for an unscheduled training.” Kris casually answered as he walked beside Seohyun.

“That’s a good thing right? I hate meal dates, food is always wasted.” Seohyun said as they entered the next room.

“Haven’t you tried human food before?” Kris asked. Seohyun looked at him with a slight smile on her face.

“Of course not, I can’t even stand the smell of coffee!” Seohyun said as they continued walking.

Kris smiled a little and Seohyun was once again amused by the sight; she enjoyed seeing Kris smile.

“Oh, come on! Smelling is different from tasting. You should try.” Kris suggested, adjusting his bag.

“I’d much rather drink the blood of rats than try!” she declared, her face cringed in a somewhat adorable manner.

“Well it’s really not that bad you know.” They shared a chuckle that was interrupted by Heechul who had come out from one of the doors. He gave Kris a sly look then smiled girlishly at Seohyun.

“Good morning, beautiful creatures,” Heechul greeted. “I see you two are getting along. That’s nice.” His gaze shifted to Kris, raising his eyebrows. Kyuhyun suddenly appeared from another room, just across Heechul’s. Seohyun gulped.

“I’ll see you around,” she said before walking towards Kyuhyun, who gave Heechul a threatening look before closing the door after them.

It was almost ironic that both parties didn’t know that they were each other’s goals.

***

“So you smile when you’re with her, amazing.” Heechul clapped his hands mockingly towards Kris.

“It takes a lot of effort for me to smile.” Kris said as he entered the room.

“Well I’m sure those smiles were what made the mortal girls fall for you.”

“Ok enough of this idle chit-chat. What’s with the sudden training?” Kris asked, as he sat on a luxurious sofa near the glass windows.

“Relax; I’m just going to show you some videos. It will help you get to know Seohyun better and familiarize yourself with her personality.” Heechul the screen as he leaned against the wall with arms crossed. Kris watched intently as the video played.

“Seohyun likes singing,” Heechul said, introduced a clip of Seohyun singing at a karaoke. “But she only sings with the people she’s comfortable with. Those are her sisters, the Girls’ Generation members,” Heechul continued, as the screen showed the girls waving towards the camera while Seohyun was singing in the background together with Taeyeon and Tiffany.

Kris leaned back on the cool sofa and crossed his arms.

“Make her sing with you, she will open up easier,” Heechul said, as Kris noted this down on his notepad. It was nothing fancy, his notepad; it had just a plain white cover and was filled with information about the girls he was dating. Kris went about his missions in a very textbook and clinical manner, learning the likes and dislikes of each date to become their ‘ideal’ boyfriend. The mysterious and elusive vibe that he had always seemed to charm the ladies with ridiculous ease; playing to their preferences just made his job all the easier to accomplish.

“Oh and that too.” Heechul pointed towards the screen causing Kris to shift his gaze back to the clip. “She likes sweet potatoes and enjoys harvesting them as well.”

“What a queer being, she can’t stand human food and yet she likes sweet potatoes?” Kris said this under his breath, clearly amused as a light smile stole onto his face.

“Waeyo?” his mentor asked.

“Nothing,” Kris replied, he was caught off guard by his mentor. “So should I look for a potato plantation or something?” he continued, diverting the attention back to topic as Heechul gave him a wry smile.

“Well you could if you wanted to, but it’s up to you. I’m just giving you ideas.” Heechul crossed his arms and sighed, he could not believe how one-track minded his trainee could be at times. “That said though, it could turn out to be pretty romantic right?” he teased, but Kris ignored the playful jab and jotted down ‘Potato Plantation’ on his notepad.

As the reel continued to play, a scene of Seohyun tending potato crops with another guy appeared on the screen. “Who’s that?” Kris asked.

“Him? That’s Yong Hwa, she was very fond of that guy even though he was her mission. He was a difficult case even for Seohyun’s impeccable standards; I think they spent over a year together before she finally put an end to it. There were rumors going on for awhile that she had grown soft and that she was capable of loving because of this guy,” Heechul said, face visibly amused at the thought of his last statement.

“Of course, she never falls in love; that would be absurd, wouldn’t it?” Heechul said that, as he walked over to the bar counter, pouring himself a glass of wine.

“So you are saying that this guy might have connected with Seohyun on a personal level?” Kris asked, twirling the pen between his fingers, eyes still focused on the video.

“He was a real gentleman, even Kyuhyun admitted that he was a fine person. I think that was when I interrupted his friendly conversation with a human.” Heechul revealed his evil grin. He always loved to annoy his dongsaeng.

“So I should get close to her mentor too?”

“Yes.” Heechul answered. “Wait, what?!” His eyes widened as he looked towards the towering angel, unsure of what he had heard. “N-no! Hell, I wouldn’t allow that to happen. Not to Kyuhyun.”

“Even if it’s for the mission?” Kris raised one of his eyebrows. His mentor had a tendency of overreacting to even the smallest matter. But Kris found it amusing, which served to fuel his insatiable thirst to understand vampires even further.

“Alright, just for the mission.” Heechul sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Who’s that?” Kris asked when a picture was flashed on the screen. It was a male wearing black hooded jacket. It was then followed by different pictures of the same man.

“That’s Zico.” Heechul said, “He’s a famous gangster, a bad boy in his town. Seohyun hated him a lot.” Heechul chuckled to himself remembering Seohyun’s past. “Seohyun almost killed him. Good thing her mentor came in time to save the little punk’s life. It’s an understatement to say that she hates gangsters.”

“Seohyun. Hates. Gangsters.” Kris mumbled as he wrote this down on his notepad.

“So moving on,” Heechul said as he went on to describe Seohyun’s profile. Basic facts such as her full name, hometown and the likes. Kris faithfully took down notes as Heechul continued his lecture, not wanting to miss out anything that might help him.

***

“I’ve been looking around for any information I could dig up regarding Kris, but that guy is an absolute enigma. His habits, preference, past, nothing came up. It’s as if he fell out from the skies or something,” Kyuhyun begun. He laughed at this last statement, “Well that would be silly wouldn’t it, a heartbreaker with heavenly descent?”

Little did he know, the very person whose name was on his lips did indeed come from the skies. Totally oblivious to this, he picked up a few pieces of clothing as he laid them on the table for Seohyun to see.

“Whose are these?” Seohyun took one of the clothing. It was a guy’s and had a familiar scent to it. It wasn’t stinging but yet oddly familiar. “Are these parts of our training today?”

“Yes, because these belong to Kris.” Kyuhyun grinned evilly. Seohyun’s eyes widen in surprise.

“Are you crazy? You really have a bedroom-sneaking disorder?!” Seohyun threw the shirt she was holding back on the table.

“Hey! Who said I sneaked in his room?! Rules are rules and even I couldn’t break them.” Kyuhyun said.

“But when you are in my room, Krystal’s and Taemin’s you always do.” Seohyun muttered.

“Oh please. Of course your sisters know when I drop by your room. They open the doors for me silly!” Kyuhyun almost laughed at how naïve his trainee was.

“AH jinjja? Aish, I should have known!” Seohyun exclaimed.

“Enough of this, let’s proceed with our training.” Kyuhyun said, raising a white t-shirt.

“What am I supposed to do?” Seohyun asked as her eyes filled with curiosity.

“Smell it.”

“Smell? Oh, seongsaeng-nim. Why will I smell that for? That’s just plain gross and disturbing.” She pushed away Kyuhyun’s arm.

“No, I mean the scent! You have to familiarize yourself with the scent,” Kyuhyun said, pushing the shirt towards Seohyun’s face. “Come on, it will be useful.” She couldn’t refuse her mentor anymore as she hesitatingly sniffed at Kris’ shirt. “Now that is Kris’ perfume. This one is his real scent.”

“No way, I am not smelling that!”

“It’s a wife beater, silly. What were you thinking lady?!” Kyuhyun said while waving a black wife beater. “Just smell it.”

Seohyun snatched the wife beater away, and smelled it. It was even more pleasing than the perfume Kris used. The perfume he used was fragrant and undoubtedly of an expensive brand; but Kris’ scent was just refreshing in a pleasant manner. The familiar rusty and bloody scent most vampires had wasn’t present. Seohyun thought that Kris maybe groomed himself well enough to brush off that smell.

“Based on the smell, what can you say?” Kyuhyun asked.

“He’s a neat-freak.” Seohyun answered then looked up at Kyuhyun, “Unlike your brothers.” Then she stuck her tongue out at Kyuhyun that earned her a glare instead.

“I concluded the same thought, he’s an organized person. So with that, I want you to learn fixing clothes.”

“The laundry people do that!” Seohyun could not fold clothes neatly; she would have her clothes sent to the laundry shop instead.

“You have to learn. Here try it.” Kyuhyun threw another shirt from the bunch clothes to Seohyun and she was able to catch it.

She glared at her mentor before laying the shirt flat on the table. She stared at it for a while then crumpled it into a ball. “Forget it, next lesson please!”