Chapter 18: Untold Reasons

The Heartbreakers

[A/N: Happy New Year everyone! :) Thanks for supporting this fanfic this far! :) I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I did when I was writing this. :) This is unedited :) so I'm sorry if you'll see some grammatical and typographical errors. :)

Hoping all of you will have a great year ahead! :) Take care of yourselves! :) I love you all~!!!]

 

 

The empty street faded into a darker hue of gray to Seohyun’s eyes. It was unexplainable to her why the bright world was suddenly colorless by the minute she realized she lost Jaejoong. If only her heart could beat, she could probably understand why she was feeling this way. Maybe vampires weren’t capable of falling in love, but everyone knew they knew how to care. But everyone knew Seohyun always failed to let anyone feel it.

But for the first time in eternity, she failed her town—the moment she refused to call Yunho for them to finally capture Jaejoong in her sight, she knew, from all the non-beating pulses she had to all the empty veins that run through her body… she knew she was starting to change the way she was. Yet the reason was still unknown. And she needed someone to rely on.

 

Seohyun suddenly looked too fragile. Her mind wandered to wherever Jaejoong was. She just thought she needed to check on him and make sure he was okay. She’d better have herself mistaken that something bad happened to Jaejoong than to have it real. She walked towards nowhere. Unknowingly, she was back at the crowded streets of the city. If she couldn’t see Jaejoong in an empty street, there was just no way in hell to see him in such a crowd.

She sat towards a park and sat on an empty bench. Everything passed by her like a movie. Like an endless reel of film. She couldn’t comprehend anymore with all the things happening around her until someone sat beside her.

“Kim Jaejoong!” She suddenly blurted out. The anticipation on her face slowly faded when she saw it was just the man she was with earlier before she saw Jaejoong. “I-I’m sorry. I thought you were… someone else I know.”

The man just chuckled, “You know what’s funny?” He took a deep breath and added, “It’s when you left me yet I still chased after you.”

Seohyun’s eyebrows furrowed. She thought his words were fitted for her situation as well. “You shouldn’t have followed me.”

“You shouldn’t have followed him.” Their eyes met. “You cannot just leave any person behind… I’m hurt you left me just like that. It hurts to know you were running after someone else.”

“I’m sorry—“

“No, Seohyun-ah. I’m sorry.” He said. Slowly he stood up. “Some hurts go too deep that it will be hard to forget, but this one… I choose to be different. I’m leaving you before the scar can get any deeper. So I wouldn’t have much to forget.”

 

Seohyun covered her face with her palms. This wasn’t happening—or at least, she hoped. Every worst things in life suddenly happened. She was a complete failure and she just wanted to burst into bubbles and disappear. She failed her town, she failed a mission, and surely, she failed herself. She wanted to cry as of the moment. But if she did shed a tear, she would have prepared to end her life for failing in everything, all in one day. However, she was a strong vampire, and she just knew that all these things that confuse her would never bring her down. She must have lived forever but some things are impermanent. For her, tears were symbols of weakness.

Slowly, someone removed her almost trembling hands from her face. “Such beautiful face should never be covered.” Seohyun slowly lifted her eyes and saw the very familiar face she thought she lost a while ago. “I have never seen your eyes sparkling in its normal hue.” He slowly put up a small smile. “I guess gold isn’t always that precious.” He stood up and sat beside Seohyun who still couldn’t find the right words to say.

They just sat there together, staring blankly before them. Seohyun was trying to feel over and over again Jaejoong’s touch on her hands—his hands were naturally cold unlike Kris’ yet she was able to determine his touch on her skin. Afraid to admit that she was looking for him awhile ago, she just couldn’t hold it in.

“Why are you here?” She sounded like what she usually was—cold-hearted vampire, uncaring of everything else around her.

“Do you really want to know?” This time, Seohyun and Jaejoong met eyes. But Seohyun looked away first.

“No, I actually don’t care about your whereabouts. I just didn’t have anything else to say.” She lied.

“I just have to come back.” He sighed, “And probably bid my farewell formally.” Seohyun’s eyes widened and quickly met Jaejoong’s sincere ones. “I have to search for someone who can heal my wounds. Beasts got me injured when I trailed them away from you and that other vampire friend of yours. Just not my luck.”

“You got bitten? Where?”

“It’s just a little scratch on my leg—“

“A wolf bite isn’t a scratch, Kim Jaejoong. Don’t you dare lie to me.” Seohyun said.

“I could have let the doctors in town check on me, but I wouldn’t risk my identity as a vampire.” Jaejoong said, “I have to look for someone, not from this part of the world, who can heal me. I’m afraid wolf-bites aren’t simple wounds. It’s worse than being run by a ten-wheeler truck.”

Now Seohyun knew why Jaejoong was limping. And she felt even guiltier that it happened because he was just trying to save her that night. If it was not for Jaejoong, it could have been Seohyun who was chased by those werewolves.

“So when are you coming back?” She softly muttered.

Jaejoong avoided her gaze, “I once lived in Europe, I guess I’ll be staying there again.”

Seohyun was surprised but she tried to keep her image cool, “Leaving your hometown just for a wound? Very well, Kim Jaejoong—the strongest vampire in town.”

“I told you they’re not just wounds—“

“Then get some help from SM Town!” Seohyun frustratingly said.

“I won’t ever go back there! Not when they still see me as a threat! Never!”

“Running away doesn’t make it any better—!”

“I have to distance myself from you! Don’t you get that? You really want me to tell you the truth? Here, right now, face to face—I’ll leave not just because of my wounds but because I have to stay away from you!”

Seohyun swallowed the lump that blocked from saying any word. It was as if the world suddenly came to a halt and for a minute or so, it stopped spinning.

“I’m dangerous, Seo Joohyun. I am very harmful and with me around you,” he shook his head and continued, “I’m afraid I’ll always be a threat to you.” Jaejoong let out an exasperated sigh and added, “I don’t belong here anymore.” He sincerely looked at Seohyun, “Forget about the things I told you about our little connection in the past, they’re not lies but I can’t stay here anymore.”

Seohyun shook her head, “So this is how strong Kim Jaejoong is...”

“You never fail to disrespect an older vampire and to insult my being.” Jaejoong forced a smirk. “I’m not just running away, if that’s what you’re thinking—“

“Oh, then face your problems here in this place. And don’t just tell me you’re leaving because of that wolf bite, for Pete’s sake.”

“You just don’t get it, do you? I am strong.” Jaejoong flashed his golden eyes at Seohyun, “But I am not strong enough to protect you. Those wolves? They will keep on bothering you if I stay here. I just want you to be safe, even if that means I should be without you.” A few seconds of silence filled the air between them before Jaejoong finally stood up, forcing his injured leg to stand.

He was about to leave, thinking that Seohyun bought his some kind of white lies. But Seohyun stood up too and said, “So this is your idea of protecting me? By not being around...” Jaejoong looked back at Seohyun whose eyes were gleaming brightly, “I don’t get your logic, Kim Jaejoong-shi. I just don’t know how being away from me can protect me.”

In a flash, Jaejoong was standing alone in his injured leg. His mind was already travelling miles away from where he was. He was a fool, he was making a fool of himself.

He then remembered the night when he got chased by the werewolves who were out of control of themselves. He was running fast but it was hard outrunning too many werewolves. It was impossible.

He was bitten on the leg by one of them, he couldn’t quite recognize the wolf because he just flinched in an agonizing pain. His bleeding leg stung too much that he lied helplessly on the ground, wolves surrounding him but in a few minutes, the werewolves had transformed back to their human forms.

Doojoon ran towards him, “Damn it, Kim Jaejoong. You have to know we’re not ourselves when we’re in our wolf-form.” He helped Jaejoong to get up together with Yoseob. “We have to get you healed...” He cling Jaejoong’s arm over his neck and supported his waist, “if that’s even possible.”

Jaejoong flinched when Dongwoon started cleaning his wound. It was painful. If vampires were known to heal themselves quickly, a werewolf bite was their nightmare. “This is why we have to get the cure.” Junhyung stood from afar and watched the other wolves try to get Jaejoong’s wound cleaned. B2ST were the only living werewolves, they were extinct but they were colleagues with Jaejoong—a vampire. If they had known each other thousands of years ago, then they could probably be enemies. But they had been very good friends and the wolves just wanted to get healed—and stop being a threat to vampires, especially to Jaejoong who was all kind to them. Or that’s just what Jaejoong knew.

“Get us the cure.” Junhyung said. Eyes gleaming in a deep hue of brown. They looked normal, but their brown eyes tell they’re not normal people.

“I’m trying to get it from Seohyun—“

“Or we will get it straight from her.” Junhyung said. Doojoon patted his shoulder, a signal or a warning telling him to get himself back together. A hidden agenda quite obvious.

Jaejoong slowly stood up when Dongwoon finally finished wrapping a bandage around his leg, “What did I say about the girl? Leave her alone and just keep her safe. What you did—chasing her? Don’t even think I’ll ever forget about that. You won’t ever get the cure if you’ll continue losing yourselves as wolves.”

Junhyung stepped forward and glared at Jaejoong, tension heating up around them. “What if I tell you the whole truth? Let’s see if you can still protect her. I’m so sick of you and your golden eyes, Kim Jaejoong. Just as how sick I am of pretending to protect that girl of yours.”

Jaejoong  snapped his gaze to Doojoon whose expression was unreadable. Doojoon was the only loyal friend to Jaejoong, but he had his pack with him and he had to lead them. And he perfectly knew what his pack needed, what his pack wanted. “The cure bearer shall be killed unless she’ll hand it to us.” Jaejoong’s eyes widened, “That’s right, Jaejoong-shi.” Doojoon sighed, “We do not seek a refuge to be cured to be humans, we seek the cure in order never to be cured.”

Jaejoong shook his head with his eyes widening, “You fooled me—“

“Get us the cure, or else we’ll be the one to get it directly from Seo Joo Hyun.” Junhyung said with authority.

“I won’t let you touch her—“

“That’s why get us the freaking cure!” Junhyung shouted and for the first time, Jaejoong felt scared. Not of these six werewolves whom he could just easily kill, but because he couldn’t take a life-threatening words against Seohyun.

But he wouldn’t make a fool of himself. In a split of seconds, Jaejoong was gripping Junhyung’s neck, Doojoon was surprised and he suddenly felt a little disappointed and mad at Jaejoong. “Go ahead and kill the six of us, Jaejoong.” Doojoon said, “I think we also forgot to tell you something, so I better let you know before you kill the six of us.” Jaejoong shifted his eyes to Doojoon but quickly back at Junhyung, gritting his teeth. “From the start, I already know that you have the capability to get the six of us killed in an instant. But we’re no fools, Kim Jaejoong. B2ST is not the last werewolf pack existing and I have let the others know about you, the cure, and Seo Joo Hyun.” Jaejoong quickly put Junhyung down.

“Who are the others?” Jaejoong asked.

Hyunseung stepped forward, “Get us the cure first. We’ll have a fair trade—“

“The freaking cure is not here!” Jaejoong blurted out, “It is in Europe, and if you want it, come with me there and claim it.”

“You think we’ll believe you?” Junhyung crossed his arms. “You’re just trying to protect that girl.”

“No. If you think you’re the only genius here after making a fool of me, think again. If the cure’s with Seohyun, how come she did not know about your existence?” Jaejoong had to lie in order to keep the beasts away from Seohyun. He would have the wolf-pack of B2ST killed in Europe so that the other existing packs wouldn’t be able to know. He already asked Junsu and Yoochun to try researching about the other existing wolf packs. He had made arrangements, to keep Seohyun safe even if he was away. Other than looking for the cure to his wolf-bite, he would endure the pain just to keep Seohyun safe—even the pain of being away from her. He even had to trust those he never liked because someone would have to protect Seohyun while he’s away, that’s all he knew as of the moment.

 

Seohyun was staring blankly across the ocean. The moon was shining brightly, and how she wished the stars would all fall so she could make a thousand wishes. She was holding a book with her right hand, gripping it tightly that if it was made of glass, it would break instantly and be shattered into countless pieces. Her mind was thinking things through. Her mind was clouded as ever.

Wolf-bites are dangerous. They never heal. They the life out of the victim. Never in the history did anyone survive a wolf-bite. The venom of wolves stings deeper than a vampire’s. With a vampire’s of blood, one will likely die in an instant... but with a wolf’s bite, it will not take away lives easily—it will make the life harder to the victim, making his or her body weaker and weaker until death.

The words from the book she was holding rang in her head. How could a legendary Kim Jaejoong die because of a wolf-bite? How come he was so special but he wouldn’t be exempted from this? But Jaejoong did not even care. He just wanted to leave to get healed. She just had to trust his words. He would be fine. Even better than he was.

If only she could put trust on her own words, she already did.

“You shouldn’t be here.” Seohyun said when she felt someone walked beside her. Even if her mind wandered, she was still aware of what was happening around her. “Kris Wu, I’m not in a good mood to deal with you.”

“Don’t mind me.” Kris said, keeping his voice low. “I just wanted to look at the beauty of the night.” He glanced at Seohyun who was still staring at the moon. He sighed and looked at the moon as well.

After a few minutes of dead silence, Seohyun mumbled, “I’ve been thinking of so many things lately, I wish I could just forget them even just for a while.”

Kris looked at her, “Because for hundreds of years, you’ve been doing the same thing. Hunting prey, dating and breaking hearts, drinking blood, following rules of the town, being the heartbreaker...”

“I guess you’re right.”

“But there’s one thing you haven’t done in those years.”

“Sleep?” Seohyun guessed.

“Stay above the ocean and admire the moon closely.” Kris said as he offered his left hand to Seohyun. She just stared at it blankly, “Let’s fly.” She hesitatingly took Kris’ hand and the warmth of his hand spread throughout her body. It was that moment, always that moment, that her mind would stop thinking and functioning over so many things that bother her.

Seohyun thought that Kris was the hardest mission she ever received. But it was the one that she liked the most... since she watched him spread his wings that slowly lit up the surroundings with a shade of gold. The way his feathery wings flapped through the thin air amazed her. His wings suddenly became her favourite sight next to seeing her parents alive, or next to being with her sisters.

For a moment, Seohyun forgot about her identity as that fierce and dangerous vampire who couldn’t handle human blood. For a moment, with Kris, she forgot about Jaejoong, and herself, as a vampire. For a moment, she just wanted to stay there in the horizon, flying through the low clouds, and hovering over the clear ocean with the reflection of the satellite that she was once staring at from a distance.

With Kris’ arms around her body, she felt safe and protected—the feeling that she thought only her parents could have given while they were still alive and the feeling that she thought Jaejoong could give her.

“I apologize for the cold here above.” Kris said, his lips almost touching her ear.

“I think I worry more about falling.” Seohyun laughed softly, “But I’m pretty sure the water below can save me.”

“I won’t let you fall.” Kris said. “Not when you’re here in my arms.”

“Show off.” Seohyun smiled to herself.

“You were insulting my strength. I have to step up for myself.” Kris chuckled.

“Can I ask you something?” Seohyun said, seriousness in her voice. “I don’t know much about you as an angel, if you have super natural powers or other special abilities for you’re the only one I know like... you, as angel... but is it possible for you to heal someone when doctors can’t?”

 

“So you want me to heal Kim Jaejoong?” Kris and Seohyun finally landed back to the shore. “Are you kidding me? Why on earth do you think I would heal that monstrous vampire who did nothing but harm?” Kris walked ahead of Seohyun, feeling a little mad.

“I was only asking, trying to find someone who can heal him from a wolf-bite.” Seohyun humbly asked though she did not like the way Kris responded. “You have the ability to fly, a special kind because you’re fast. I just thought maybe, just maybe, you possess something like healing.” Seohyun’s eyes were full of sincerity. Kris’ heart almost ached upon seeing her being concern about Jaejoong. For a matter, he could understand. Kris knew that Jaejoong was kind to her, even if she couldn’t see this most of the time, but Jaejoong was the same vampire who killed his parents. There was just no way neither in hell nor heaven for him to find a way to cure him.

“Well, I understand but I’m sorry, Seo Joohyun.” Kris faced her, eyes gleaming in bright silver hue. “I am not capable of healing, and even if I do, I will never, ever lay a hand on Kim Jaejoong to help him.” Slowly, he retreated and disappeared in the darkness leaving Seohyun standing alone with broken hopes for Jaejoong.