Chapter 6: He's Back

The Heartbreakers

 

“Kris! ‘Sup?” A boyish voice came from afar. Seohyun and Kirs looked back and was surprised to see Amber. Amber smiled at both of them.

“I didn’t know Heechul-hyung allows her to be off from school.” Kris told Seohyun before Amber could walk towards them. “Oh, hey there. What’s up?” Kris greeted Amber.

“Hi,” Amber greeted Seohyun. Seohyun was kind of awkward with vampires under other mentors so she just smiled softly at her and bowed her head slightly as a greeting. “I need your help.” Amber turned to Kris again.

Kris glanced at Seohyun. “Oh, sure, sure. How can I help?”

Amber looked ahead behind Kris and Seohyun as if she’s trying to spot someone. “Cool, he’s coming.” Amber then smirked and her eyes fell on the shopping bags Kris and Seohyun were holding. “Wait, am I interrupting something? I could look for Minho—“

“Oh, no, no!” Kris and Seohyun said at the same time making them look at each other. Amber was a bit startled as if the two were denying something. “I actually need to leave now. I just helped Kris buy new clothes.” Seohyun shyly said.

“Cool,” Amber nodded. “Oh, he’s here. Can I borrow those bags? Are those Kris’?” Amber pointed at the bags Seohyun was holding.

“Sure, if this could help you. I’ll go now too.” Seohyun handed the shooping bags to Amber. “Some dating tactics?” Seohyun asked.

“Some breaking-up tactics.” Amber said as she grabbed Kris’ arm and turned him to face the guy. “Seohyun-sshi. We need to go. See you around!” Amber said as she clung her arm around Kris’ and started dragging him to walk. Kris couldn’t do anything anymore so he just glanced at Seohyun who was quite shocked by Amber’s actions. It wasn’t disrespect for her. She just adored how cute and innocent the younger vampires are like Amber. She could perfectly imagine f(x)’s house inside. Cutesy and filled with childish games.

 

Seohyun made her way out of the mall. She went to fetch Sooyoung’s motorcycle from The B.A.P. garage—where Himchan was working. All the other blonde-headed boys were busily working on different cars. Wrench and other tools were all over the place. No one even noticed that Seohyun was already there. So she just walked around the place and checked on some of the cars there.

She noticed one of the cars with its bumper damaged. She smiled to herself and had an idea popped inside her head. She was bored waiting for Himchan who’s still probably under another damaged car fixing its engines. She looked around—left, right and behind her. Everyone’s busy.

She bent towards the car’s bumper and pinched it a little. She poked the other side with her finger and it popped back to its original place and it was fixed. She thought maybe fixing cars were really easy that she could mold another model of car with bare hands.

She straightened up and satisfied with the fixed car bumper. But she was surprised to see a little kid standing beside her. The child was looking up at her and staring at her. Amused. Or maybe scared?

Seohyun blinked twice and she looked around, nobody noticed what she’s done to the car but this child did! Seohyun panicked—was the child lucky or not? For all she knows, maybe the child might try doing what she did when she grows up.

Without any hesitations, Seohyun bent down to the child’s eye level. She twirled the little girl’s chair with her finger and caressed her cheeks. Indeed this child was another masterpiece of God. The little child blinked her big round eyes at the sight of a beautiful lady before her. Seohyun was thinking twice whether she needed to compel the innocent child who saw her incredibly unexplainable strength or not.

 

The innocent child pointed at the car bumper—knowing that is was impossible but she was too young to even speak a word. Seohyun pursed her lips. Yes, the child perfectly knows what she had done to the car. She mentally cursed herself for playing such thing in the land of mortals. She pressed her eyes closed and opened them after a couple of seconds. She looked at the child directly at the eyes, with the golden-red glimmer. She’s going to compel the innocent child. The clueless child. It was so heartless of her.

But she lived with no heart beating.

“You did not see what I did to the car.” Seohyun uttered each word carefully to the child. The little bubbly child blinked her eyes and nodded. Seohyun then flashed her signature sweet smile at the child as her eyes’ turned back to its normal dark-brown color. The child smiled back at her. It was the real nature of the child before she even saw Seohyun’s weird action—she happily played with Seohyun’s long hair and Seohyun giggled at the child’s action.

Himchan heard the child’s chuckling. His head popped up from fixing the engine under the hood of the car which in the end, made him accidentally bump against the hood. He rubbed his forehead and headed towards his little sister.

“There you are.” He mumbled, and he was surprised to see Seohyun playing with the child. He stepped closer to Seohyun and playfully poked her cheek. “So you’re here too and who gave you the permission to play with my little sister?”

Seohyun rolled her eyes. *Humans and their awful ways of flirting.* “You were too busy to even notice my presence.” She said as she stood up while Himchan took the little girl into his arms and carried her. They walked towards the office. Himchan changed to decent clothes and washed his hands. Seohyun waited outside. She was watching the whole world pass by her. Such a busy street.

“Keys?” Himchan called from inside as he zipped up his jacket. Seohyun tossed the motorcycle’s keys to him to get Sooyoung’s motorcycle which for all he knows belonged to Seohyun.

As Seohyun was waiting, she almost jumped when she heard someone talking in the narrow street beside the Himchan’s working place. She grew curious since it sounded like arguing.

“For one year that I’ve loved you, you’re dating??? A week after our breakup? Way to go, Kang Hye In!” It was one of Himchan’s co-workers.

“No, it’s not that…” The girl sobbed. “Zelo, it’s not that way.” That’s when Seohyun noticed another figure of guy.

It was one of Kris’ brothers in Exo.

“You guys should settle up. First, Hye In-shi.” The Exo-guy said, “I’m not in love with you. Second, Zelo-shi, I am not in love with your ex-girlfriend. Third, guys…” Seohyun couldn’t believe a heartbreaker was breaking hearts… too lame. “If you still love each other, just get back together. I’m off.” The Exo-guy raised both of his hands and slowly walked away from the scene. That Zelo and Hye In pulled each other into a tight embrace. Seohyun quickly stepped away from the Exo-guy’s path and turned around to walk out of the street but she saw a familiar Exo-guy coming on his way towards the same direction. Good thing she was able to hide herself behind a truck.

“Luhan!” The second Exo-guy greeted and patted Luhan’s back. “So… are you done breaking a heart?”

“Oh, come on, Oh Sehun.” Luhan sighed, “I am not supposed to break hearts. I’m supposed to protect.” But Sehun chuckled at him.

“You’re kidding me, right?” Sehun put his arm around Luhan’s shoulders and dragged him out of the street. The conversation that Seohyun eavesdropped faded away. The sign that she can now move out from the place she’s hiding.

 

*Funny newbies…* She thought to herself. Then the motorcycle’s engine sounded.

“Hop in!” Himchan called and she ran like a real human towards the motorcycle. She put on the helmet and held onto Himchan as he drove away.

 

 Just like the usual dates that Seohyun had been into, some walking while holding hands and some cuddling… all the things she’s done with so many other guys before.

“You feel cold.” Himchan mumbled as he put his arms around Seohyun from behind when they were watching the sun set. Seohyun was used to this comment—of course, no blood runs in her veins. There’s nothing to even make her heart beat. She’ll always be that pale-looking, bloodless and cold as a stone vampire that she is. She wished a pair of human arms around her like Himchan’s will linger on with the warmth.

She did not find the urge to say something to Himchan. She thought her day’s over. Sooner, she’ll have to break this man’s heart. Have her little ex-girlfriend’s heart healed. Besides, her mind was flying over to the other guys that are lined up on her list.

 

After a few more minutes of fake-dating, Seohyun finally had time for herself.

“I can take it from here.” Seohyun said as Himchan hopped off from the motorcycle. She moved forward to drive.

“Drive safely.” Himchan said as he watched Seohyun drove away.

 

She was peacefully roaming around the city—not yet going back to SM Town. She thought she might actually try to chill out in the city before going back to their house. Besides, once she’s back at SM Town, she’ll have to practice as Kyuhyun asked her to.

She was focused on the road, without noticing she’s speeding up. Well she find it very entertaining—she can run faster than the motorcycle in the first place.

“Oh, my .” Seohyun almost jumped at Sica’s voice behind her.

“Unnie! You shouldn’t pop out of nowhere; we’re in the land of mortals!” Seohyun shouted as she tried making herself clear despite the roaring sound of the motorcycle.

“Shut up,” Sica hissed. “Well no one can even see you moving. You literally look like running from a police. You’re off the speed limit, little girl!”

“W-what? Oh, god. I didn’t notice!” Seohyun said she looked at the speedometer. It read 180km/hr and it’s still increasing with her grip.

“Only vampires like us can notice you running on the streets. This motorcycle’s extremely fast! Is it running or are you the one carrying it???” Jessica asked.

“Crap. This is Sooyoung-unnie’s! She must have done something. She wouldn’t like driving slow cars.” Her eyes widened and she quickly stepped on the break.

“Horrible driver!” Jessica rubbed her forehead that bumped onto Seohyun’s nape after the maknae stepped on the breaks. She looked around, “Oh, anyway thanks. This is the exact place where I should be going. I’ll see you in the house.”

Seohyun nodded at her sister as she started driving away from the club that Jessica went into. She glanced at the time and she thought of having another round of driving.

 

Her speed increased slowly… but then again, it gradually speeded up.

Little did she notice that somebody noticed she was circling around the city. He was drinking coffee with his two other friends, smoking in an open coffee shop. His lips formed a smirk as he watched her driving and that she’s been passing by the coffee shop thrice. And she was extremely fast that people wouldn’t even see her driving.

“Is it her?” The guy sitting beside him asked.

“I heard it was her.” The guy smirked as he puffed smoke. “The next round she passes by, I can just block her.”

“Jaejoong, that isn’t the way to kill the girl.” Another guy beside Jaejoong said as he was sitting in the middle.

“I’m kidding. Of course, I wouldn’t kill her.” He laughed, “Why would I want a strong vampire from my old SM Town be killed?”

“Don’t you have plans on coming back to them? We’re also vampires in need of immortal nourishment. We’ll gladly come with you in that town.” Yoochun said as he put a hand over Jaejoong’s shoulder.

“Not now. Maybe soon, I’ll be back.” Jaejoong answered.

“How long will you be working on that research? I mean, who knows where the hell these fallen angels are?” Junsu asked.

“Fallen Angels are cursed. They are looking for true love to break the curse bestowed to them by God.” Jaejoong puffed his cigarette. “I just need more research before I could track them down. They could be anywhere in the world.”

“She’s coming.” Yoochun said. Jaejoong stood up from his seat and walked near the side walk.

“I’d like to know her.” Jaejoong told his two friends.  The traffic lights lit red. It means Seohyun will be stopping right infront of him any second now.

He smiled to himself as he saw the vampire’s motorcycle stopped a few meters away from him on the side walk. But before he could even step forward, another guy greeted Seohyun. He looked rather very familiar. He was the guy Seohyun was with when she left her house in SM Town this morning as Jaejoong can remember. He was frozen on his spot as he watched the guy hopped on the space behind Seohyun. The traffic light hit green and Seohyun drove away.

He just smirked at the sight, he threw the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it. He went back to his friends, “Maybe next time.”

“They’re still on for breaking humans’ hearts?” Yoochun asked.

“I don’t think that one’s a human. Maybe one of the new recruits of Soo Man.” Jaejoong answered.

 

Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu just came back from Europe. Jaejoong had been doing a lot of studies on how they can break Lucifer’s curse. Not that he wanted to fall in love, but because he wanted to be recognized by Soo Man. He left SM Town to prove himself worthy to Lee Soo Man who always believed in Yunho and Changmin better than he did to him.

He cannot deny that he missed SM Town—in fact it was the first place he visited this morning. He just had to hide himself and leave after a few minutes that he was almost caught by the guy that rode with Seohyun. He has also heard about Seohyun. His pride was being crashed into pieces hearing she’s almost as strong as him. That’s why he wanted to get to know her. And know her weaknesses.

 

Meanwhile…

“I thought you were so cool.” Kris said as Seohyun kept on driving. “I mean the city’s cool at night then you happened to pass by.” Kris took back what he said. He did not want Seohyun misunderstanding what he said.

“Well, Sooyoung-unnie always preferred fast cars.” Seohyun said. “And yes, I think Seoul has always been a nice city.”

“I had a bad date just before I saw you.” Kris said.

“Bad date? Is there such thing to us, vampires, a good one?” Seohyun chuckled.

“She was too clingy. I hate those kinds of girls.” Kris said as Seohyun they stopped by the street with the perfect view of Banpo Bridge. Seohyun removed the helmet from her head and let her long hair fall down on her back.

They stood side by side with the view of the fountain under the bridge. Kris crossed his arms as he was leaning on the motorcycle. His face was serious as usual. “Don’t you ever get tired of it?” Kris suddenly spoke. Seohyun looked at him, not understanding the question. “The breaking of hearts thing.”

“Not really.” Seohyun answered and she sighed, “My parents died in human hands.” She said and she broke off. She did not want to ever talk about it. “I’m sorry, I don’t think we should be talking about it.”

“My parents died in a vampire’s hands.” Kris suddenly said. The face of the vampire was still clear in his head. Before he became a follower of God, he was just a normal human. But when he saw his parents die in a hungry vampire’s venom, he wanted to fight for their death. Being an angel was his choice. But soon, he wanted to kill that vampire so he followed Lucifer—a choice he regretted in the end that’s why he’s on earth right now.

Seohyun somehow thought that it was rather ironic.

“Well I’m glad you thought of coming to SM Town. We might have not noticed it but we’re all safe under Lee Soo Man-shi.” Seohyun said. It’s true that all in SM Town don’t have parents anymore. Poor vampires with different stories.

“Anyway,” Kris sighed. “how about eating another human food?” Kris teased Seohyun.

“No way!!!” Seohyun hated the idea. They started laughing and simple conversations were exchanged.

 

“Hyung, let’s go.” Zelo tapped Himchan’s shoulder who was stared at the two figures in a distance. He accompanied Zelo to buy something but he did not expect to see Seohyun with another guy. “Come on. There might be a bus soon.” Zelo patted Himchan’s shoulder and dragged him along to the bus stop. He glanced one more time at Seohyun with the guy as they laughed together—talking happily as if they’re good together.

 

“How about I drive one last round before we go back to the town?” Kris said, talking about SM Town.

“That motorcycle flies.” Seohyun said before tossing the keys to Kris.

“I’m good at flying, don’t worry.” Kris smirked at they hopped on. The engine roared to life. Seohyun did not held on to Kris’ waist because that would be really awkward. And she’s strong enough to handle the fast ride.

But Kris was really a fast driver! It was as if the motorcycle jumped and its screws will soon fly off the little bike one by one. Seohyun grabbed Kris’ jacket.

“I’m sorry.” Kris chuckled at Seohyun’s grip.

 

Jaejoong was busy on his research again that night. Yoochun and Junsu were busy playing video games while he was on his room with piles of papers.

He opened one of the folders and read the documents inside: Fallen Angels,“Those angels who came to earth for a mission. They were divided into two groups: those who first set to follow Lucifer but regretted in the end and those who followed the first set of angels to save them. There are twelve existing fallen angels lurking around the lands of earth finding their gates back to heaven.”

Jaejoong pressed his temples, “Twelve fallen angels…” He muttered.