Chapter 19: A Search for Cure

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: It's been a while, heartbreakers! :) I really miss you all~ I'm sorry for updating this just now. :( It's almost two months. ;__; I'm sorry. I hope you can forgive me and enjoy this chapter. Sorry if the flow of the story is running really slow. I'm a horrible author. Sorry. :(]

(Note: Unedited)

It was a bright sunny day and Kris did not even fall asleep. He watched the night broke in and the sun slowly crept between the dark skies. He was only standing on the balcony with his hands crossed over his chest. His thoughts could have been traveling miles and miles away from where he was standing. His eyes shone brightly in silver, but the light coming from the sun was too bright that it could not be seen. He wanted to fly away than just stand there, be motionless like a statue. If he could only fly anytime, without worrying about others seeing him, he could have done it. If only flying away would make him run away from everything that’s going on, he would have done it. Since the Seo Joohyun mission was given to her, everything in his life was complicated.

“What’s bothering you?” Lay suddenly appeared behind him, “What’s so bothering that you did not even sleep?” Kris just looked at him and sighed to himself. “I thought you already learned to control the hue of your eyes.”

Kris shook his head and blinked his eyes twice while looking down. He pressed his eyes tightly one last time before opening them and holding on to the railings. “It’s getting harder to control my emotions.”

Lay flashed a small smile, “I can see that.” He looked at Kris, “It’s quite obvious that you did not even sleep. I will never survive just standing here, looking at the empty horizon.” He then chuckled.

There was a long silence before Kris finally spoke, “You know I’m so determined to fulfill my mission on Seohyun, right?”

“You’d do anything to get it done with, I know that.” Lay nodded.

“Well, she’s asking me to heal Kim Jaejoong from a werewolf bite.” Kris said. “If you want to know what’s bothering me, then that’s it.”

Lay shook his head, “You’ll never help him since he killed your parents. You don’t have to do anything, then.” He sighed, “You’d even want to get him killed. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to kill him.”

“Yes, because a werewolf bite is very dangerous. It will slowly take away his life.” Kris said. “But Seohyun’s asking for it, and I—I don’t know what to do. For the first time in my entire existence, I don’t know what the right thing to do is.”

Lay thought for a moment before speaking up, “You know, you should stop worrying about doing the right thing. Just do what you think is right, even if in others’ eyes it’s wrong. You can always make it right, in the end make the others know or feel what made you think it’s right.” Lay put a hand over Kris’ shoulder and then crossed his arms on his chest once again, “You’re duizhang. I doubt you to make a mistake.”

“It’s just making me think why Seohyun would want to help him. The town’s hunting him and she’s there, asking me to help her heal Kim Jaejoong. Isn’t that so wrong? It’s against this town. She’s doing something wrong I’m afraid would make her regret in the end—“

“Vampires have the ability to care. I guess she cares for him.” Lay shrugged his shoulders. “When she was alone in the town, isn’t it Jaejoong who stayed with her? She owes him her life.”

“A part of her life.” Kris corrected, “She only owes him a part of it.” Lay’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “When she was dying of thirst for blood, it wasn’t Kim The Great Jaejoong who fed her.”

“But I heard that’s what she told during the meeting—“

“She twisted the story for both of us. I was actually the one who brought her to the forest and gathered animals, deer in particular because I heard they were good, for her to feed on.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I asked help from others. It’s a secret.” Kris casually said. “Yes, I did things I could never have imagined myself doing.” He then met Lay’s gaze, “For her.”

There was yet another long pause of silence.

“Then if she’s asking you to heal that grotesque, horrible vampire, don’t you think you have to do something about it?” Lay asked, making Kris think even deeper.

Kris shook his head, “This time I neglect doing anything. I’d do anything for her, not for others.” They were interrupted when they heard a loud thud coming from the one of the others’ bedroom.

“I’m okay!” Someone shouted.

“I guess someone fell from his bunk.” Lay and Kris chuckled before the former headed inside. Kris was left alone again, thinking of the same thoughts.

 

A few days had passed and Seohyun could be found cleaning the living room of their dollhouse-like home. She was trying to busy herself than to think of the reckless vampire she was unpleasantly trying to save. Heavy footsteps were heard from the second floor and there was Jessica with grumpy face and crooked eyebrows.

“Unnie, what’s the matter?” Seohyun asked with a concern tone.

Yuri came to the living room from the kitchen and sat on the sofa, “She’s probably too lazy to even lift her feet to step.”

Seohyun chuckled, “Oh, house rules, neh?” She then continued wiping the table made of glass while Yuri took a magazine from the side table and started flipping its pages. Jessica walked towards the living room and sprawled her bag on the sofa beside Yuri.

“This is driving me nuts.” The ice-princes vampire muttered while fixing her bag, rummaging on its contents as if looking for something. “How deep is this sack that I cannot find my Mac lipstick?”

“I thought Yoona borrowed it from you last night?” Yuri muttered carelessly while flipping another page of the magazine.

“Great.” Jessica hissed.

“You can borrow mine, it’s from The Face Shop—not as exclusive as Mac but still… it can put a color on your lips.” Seohyun offered.

“Do I look like someone who will give into endorsements? Even if the models and advertisements are enchanting, I dare not use them.” Jessica was being picky, or maybe she was just being obsessive-compulsive.

“Oh, then use mine. I have lots I got from Mamonde—“

“Don’t you endorse to me too.” Jessica pointed a finger to Yuri and continued searching on her bag. Seohyun just chuckled while Yuri playfully rolled her eyes and chuckled with the younger vampire. Suddenly, the door swung opened and there was Yoona, removing her shoes by the doorstep.

“Hi, morning.” She jadedly greeted. She must have been tired from fulfilling a mission that she just got home. Jessica rushed to her and took her bag. “Wow, when did the lazy one learn to carry a bag for someone? Moreover for the younger one?”

“Since she thought she lost her Mac lipstick?” Yuri answered the cynical question of Yoona. Seohyun left yet another chuckle as she started dusting off the curtains then. Jessica just ignored their remarks and started putting on light make-up while facing the mirror hanging near the kitchen.

“Is it just me or maybe it’s just really me—who noticed that she’s up this early?” Yoona sat beside Yuri, slouching one the sofa and resting her feet on the table.

“Hey, I just wiped those. Feet down!” Seohyun said but Yoona did not even stir. She looked so tired to even do a single movement so Seohyun just let her be.

“Pinch me—slap me, the better—because I am going out of my ways all because—“ Jessica could not even utter the words while the others looked at her, waiting for her to fill in her incomplete statement. “Ah, nevermind. Next time, I won’t let you borrow any of my make-ups.” She eyed Yoona.

“Tell me, to whom do you wake up early for? And why does it have to be Mac? We have tons of make-ups here.” Yoona asked, eyes were closed and hands rested together on her belly. However, Jessica was putting on the Mac lipstick, so she did not bother answering.

“I’ll throw a surprise party if it’s not for Donghae.” Yuri said.

“Mind you, I am not going out with Donghae. We do not have any training today and I could throw a surprise party for you because I’m off work today too. I have tons of free time, actually. And don’t mention Lee Donghae’s name because he’s off to train with Amber Liu. And I am going to taste that alcoholic beverage humans do drink, they call it soju, because they said they can calm your nerves and maybe you can see I can make a use of it right now.” Jessica said in one breath. Others’ jaws hung open. “What?” She finally zipped her bag.

“I don’t get you.” Yuri chuckled with Seohyun and Yoona. “You get mad when you have work or training, now you’re this mad—being able to say 90 words in one breath, note that—because you don’t have training or work.”

“Donghae’s going to be the end of me.” Jessica finally took her bag and headed towards the door. “I’ll see you guys around.” She hissed once again before the door swung open as she left.

“Tell us if soju’s good!” Yoona shouted and the three of them chorused a soft laugh.

Seohyun shook her head, “Either way, it’s about Donghae-oppa.”

“She’s growing fonder and fonder of him, don’t you guys think?” Yuri closed the magazine and placed it back on its rack. Seohyun and Yoona just smiled at her remark.

“I shall take a long, refreshing shower.” Yoona stretched her arms up and stood up, and left Seohyun fixing the curtains and Yuri sitting on the couch.

“So while you guys noticed Sica-unnie being up early, you guys did not take notice of my presence.” Seohyun pouted.

Yuri’s eyes widened and she giddily stood up, “Seohyun-ah! What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in the city, right?” Seohyun shook her head and softly laughed at her sister.

 

 

After an hour or so, Seohyun fixed herself and headed towards Kyuhyun’s office. She was scheduled to have training today that’s why she headed to visit SM Town. She was not going to stay for the day, but only for the training. She decided to drop by their house first and found that no one was actually home aside from Yuri and Jessica so she cleaned the house instead. She thought the others did not have time to clean the house anymore since everyone must be so busy, especially that they started guarding the boundaries of SM Town.

 

“Oh, I’m glad you came.” Kyuhyun said when he came to his office. “We’re going to have a very interesting training today.”

“It better be. Because I did not drive back all the way here if you’re going to steal clothes again from Kris.” Seohyun warned his trainer.

“Unnie! You’re back!” Krystal entered the office as well and embraced her sunbae. “So what’s so interesting in this training?” She asked Kyuhyun who slipped on a sports bag over his shoulder.

“A Mighty Cho Kyuhyun Trainees League, I suppose.” He winked at them and left the office so the two females followed.

 

“Basketball. Really?” Seohyun complained and followed Kyuhyun as he changed into different pair of shoes. “So you asked me to drive all the way here to play basketball? A sport I barely knew? And I dare not know?”

Kyuhyun patted her shoulder, “I needed to find an excuse to have you visit here. I bet you want to see me or to at least visit your sisters.”

“I agree with the latter—but seriously, basketball? Play a sport with all your trainees?” Seohyun followed him around the sports arena. There she saw Krystal and Taemin playing with the basketball together and on the other end was Chanyeol chatting silently with Chen. “How about we go to the city and just—yes! Noraebang! That’s better bonding than this!”

Kyuhyun halted and looked at Seohyun, “The last time I looked, Cho Kyuhyun, not Seo Joohyun, was the trainer here.” Then he walked towards the others. “Gather here, let’s get the game started!”

 

The afternoon seemed to be so long. The five trainees of Kyuhyun were enjoying themselves playing basketball even if Seohyun did not really expect its outcome to be good. She got to know Chanyeol and Chen better. She thought they have a different speed that of the vampires—which resembles Kris’ kind of speed. But anyhow, Kris was the only one she knew angel. And she bet these lads did not know too about Kris’ identity. Whenever Chanyeol would pass the ball to her, she thought it felt so warm against her skin as if lit with a fire that no one can see. It was strange for her to feel warmth just as how Kris gave her the same feeling. While she paused from playing and watched the others, she oddly stared and watched Chanyeol and Chen intently.

 

She noticed nothing different at all—they were vampires like her but she could not stop getting different and strange vibes from them. She was thinking too deeply than she did not saw the ball coming towards her direction until she was already hit on the arm. Her veins could have awakened by the electricity she thought her body felt.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to—“ Chen came running towards her, quite panting. He smiled and was sincerely sorry as his eyes showed.

She took the ball and gave it back to Chen, “I’m fine. No need to apologize. You know, nothing hurts when your body is as hard as a diamond.”

“Yeah… right.” Chen nodded and took the ball. He then bowed to Seohyun in respect to his sunbae and threw the ball back to Chanyeol and they started playing once again.

 

Kyuhyun took a rest and stood beside Seohyun for a while, “So you really had to compare your body to a diamond.”

“Well it’s a precious stone.” Seohyun said.

“You’re really something, aren’t you? Normally, vampires would compare themselves to iron or granites, not to some precious stones like diamond.”

Seohyun looked at him, “Normally, vampires in normal state of psyche would think that hunting is a better bonding than playing basketball.” She then rolled her eyes playfully at Kyuhyun.

“Hunting! Speaking of hunting, I must fill myself tonight. Want to come?” Kyuhyun asked.

“No, not with you.” Kyuhyun then frowned. “I’m still full, if you know what I mean. I’m not thirsty.” She cleared , “And I have business in the city. Might as well leave now.”

“Now? It’s still early! Come and play with your hoobaes. Be a model sunbae to them.” Kyuhyun encouraged her to stay but Seohyun was really trying to get the schedule of Jaejoong’s flight to Europe—with the thought that maybe there could still be enough time to help him.

“I have always been a good sunbae.” Seohyun stuck her tongue out. “I’ll go now.” She took her bag and hung it over her shoulder, “Tell them I really have to leave urgently. And next time you call me for training, tell me of its use first.”

“I thought it’s better if you’ll figure them out by yourself. This bonding slash playing basketball is actually for you, not for them.” Kyuhyun glanced at the four vampires still playing on the court. “Well anyway, I think it’s better if I walk you to the city?”

“No, no. I’m fine.” Seohyun declined his offer. “Be a good sunbae to them so you should not leave them.”

“I was thinking maybe I can hunt in the city. Human blood sounds good—“

“Gross! That’s it—I’m leaving now!” Seohyun ran towards the doors of the sports arena and left Kyuhyun chuckling to himself.

 

The moon was starting to emerge from the fading skies. Seohyun stopped by their house but no one was home other than Yoona who was resting while listening to blasting music with her earphones on. She knocked twice on Yoona’s door but she seemed to be really tired and did not bother opening her eyes even if she was not asleep. Seohyun sighed and decided to leave her sister at tranquility other than disturbing her peaceful trance. She took a deep breath before walking towards the woods that would lead her to the city when she saw a rather familiar face from a distance and they were walking towards the same path.

“Lay?” She asked and when they were finally a few meters away from each other, she finally recognized him. “Oh, Lay! It’s you! So you’re heading to the city too?”

Lay shyly smiled at her, “Apparently, yes, I am and I’m on my way. You know, ‘got some work to do.”

“I know. So maybe we can walk together?”

“Walk?” Lay’s eyes widened a little, but his lips crooked a smile.

“I mean run together? It sounds odd so I preferred to use the term walk.” They shared a soft chuckle. “But I think walk—a real walk—would be good. It’s quite some time since I last adored the beauty of the woods.”

“Sounds great.” Lay pursed her lips and nodded.

They walked together in silence at first but soon, they started sharing few conversations about their whereabouts—none that Seohyun talked about her business with Jaejoong. However, even if she tried to avoid the subject about him, every word draws her to talk about him—especially when it was Lay who opened it up.

“I heard Jaejoong was injured.” Lay said and Seohyun suddenly looked at him in surprise. “I mean I saw him and he was quite limping,” he thought it wasn’t very wise of him to open the topic about Jaejoong so he added, “unless my eyes were playing tricks on me.”

Seohyun fell silent for a few seconds. “So he’s still in the city.”

“Is he bound somewhere?” Lay curiously asked.

“I shouldn’t be telling you this but I feel like it’s safe to tell you.” She stopped on her tracks and faced Lay. The moonlit glistened on his eyes, making them sparkle a little in the darkness. “And I needed someone to talk to—about it. And I doubt that my sisters will have time to listen to me. I barely saw them today—much more that I stay in the city.”

Lay swallowed a small lump in his throat, “Well go on, I will listen then.” Seohyun told Lay about Jaejoong’s werewolf bite on his leg and how deadly it is for a vampire. She admitted that she faltered against SM Town—against TVXQ gods, in particular—for she ought to bring Jaejoong back but he kind of grew closer to her; that even if everybody thought he was evil, he was actually not that evil. And she could not find the courage to send Jaejoong to his death once she brings her back to their town.

Lay remained silently listening to Seohyun. “He was trying to find a cure for the wolf-bite and he’s bound to Europe—his once home when he left SM Town.” She sighed, “I must find the cure here, within the country, or else he will be gone to somewhere so far away.” She looked at Lay who was looking at her as well. Lay saw genuineness in her eyes and he pitied her. He was finally starting to understand her—the way that Kris could not. “I still want to fulfill my oath to the TVXQ gods, I still want to bring Jaejoong to the town, to their hands. But not in this state—not when he would not have a way to defend himself. It would not be a fair fight on his side. I want him healed rather than away.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, but it’s surprising that I—I understand you.” Lay softly said, thin air passed through them. “You know I honestly want this Kim Jaejoong killed as much as others want. But I think there’s still humanity left in me to agree with you, that he should be healed first.”

“Thank you, Lay. For listening.” She said as she looked up in the sky and noticed the moon shining brightly. “I’m afraid we’re done with this little walk in the woods. I doubt we’ll ever reach the city in a matter of minutes.” She chuckled to cover her uneasiness. “I need to run now to the city, I don’t have much time as eternity.”

“What then is the business that awaits you on the other side?” Lay asked.

“I’m trying to find a cure to heal Jaejoong. I’m trying to research.” She gave him a small smile. “Actually, Jaejoong has been very weak. I’m trying to sneak into his office, and I saw these researches he’s been working on and I thought I saw one that said angels can heal werewolf bites. Maybe he’s trying to research for the cure too.” Lay almost skipped a heartbeat. “But I doubt to see an angel right at this moment.” Seohyun gave out a hopeless sigh.

“That’s true, only angels, actually, can heal such deadly bites.” Lay added.

“How did you know?”

“Suho has quite a very witty mind—he knows so many things.” Lay said—which was quite half true because Suho would certainly know about this—for all angels know about this.

“I wish God would send an angel down to earth right now.” She sighed again. “Anyway, it’s been a nice walk with you, Lay. But I really have to go now.” They exchanged bows but before Seohyun could disappear in the woods, Lay was fast enough to hold her back.

“I’m sorry, just a quick honest question.” Lay said, heart beating fast and he was scared that Seohyun would hear his heartbeat as well so he had to speak fast. “Do you really want to get Jaejoong healed?”

Seohyun softened by the question, she slowly looked up at Lay and met his gaze. “I am desperate for it.”