Chapter 16: The Deal and Secrets

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: FIRST, I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT UPLOADING THE UPDATE/CHAPTER FOR ALMOST TWO MONTHS :( I'M A TERRIBLE AUTHOR. =( BUT HONESTLY, I AM EXTREMELY BUSY AT SCHOOL. =( I COULDN'T PUT INTO WORDS HOW BUSY I AM. =( AND BRYAN'S BEEN BUSY TOO. SO THIS UPDATE IS ACTUALLY A RAW VERSION OF CHAPTER 16--IT'S UNEDITED BY BRYAN. SO YES, I APOLOGIZE FOR GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. TYPOS. ETC. :( I'M SORRY. AND THANKS FOR STILL SUBSCRIBING AND READING THIS FIC.

 

I LOVE YOU GUYS. ALL OF YOU. <3]



 

Silence filled the air. Dark sky loomed over the place as the fallen leaves were slightly blown by the cool breeze. The fullness of the moon hovered over the two stoned figures by the small park. The empty seats of the swing kept moving as the stronger breeze blew again.

Kris walked a little closer to Seohyun but she took a small step back. It was enough for Kris to stop approaching her. Her eyes had been glimmering brightly for quite awhile and no matter how many times she tried controlling them back to their normal state, her eyes seemed to disobey her. The absolute silence was deafening Kris but he couldn’t even find the right words to break it.

“Seohyun-shi, I’m sorry…” Kris mumbled as if he had done something against her though both of them knew he only saved her from the wolves chasing them. The stiffness of Kris couldn’t find the right words to explain what had happened.

Seohyun slightly shook her head, eyes were avoiding to meet Kris’. He waited for her to say anything even the sharpest words that might come out from her lips but she did not utter a word, not even a sigh.

“Come on, Seohyun…” It was the first time that Kris did not use honorifics. He was getting impatient with the silence surrounding both of them. “It’s not like I will bite you or something.”

“Of course, you won’t!” Seohyun suddenly exclaimed. Kris was taken aback. This was the side of Seohyun that Kris had never seen before—the side of her that no one could understand. Kris couldn’t conclude if she was scared, mad or anything about what she had witnessed. “You cannot bite anyone. You’re not like me. You’re not—“

“Let’s get back to the subject of me not letting anyone hurt you.” Kris reprimanded. “I did not have the intention to… to fly you off the building but it was the only way to get rid of the wolves.” He was uncomfortable using the terms of capabilities of an angel.

Seohyun sighed, “Only way out?” She snorted. “We are not vampires for nothing. We could have ripped their heads off instead.”

“You’re the vampire.” Kris reminded her. “Besides, I cannot let you kill those beasts.”

“What, any other secrets you’re hiding? Are they your friends or—“

“They’re your friends.” Kris cut her off. “Seohyun,” he bit his lips in frustration. “Let’s not change the subject anymore. The thing is now you know my secret.” The state of his eyes slowly changed into bright silver. “And I’m hoping you could keep it too.”

Silence filled the atmosphere once again before the sound of running footsteps was heard. Kris’ abruptly controlled the hue of his eyes back to their normal state. “Seohyun-ah! Gwenchana?” Yunho came running towards Seohyun burdened with the feeling of responsibility. Kris stepped a few feet away from Seohyun. Kyuhyun also approached Seohyun, coming from the other direction. Leeteuk came with him too.

“You’ve got some explaining to do.” Kyuhyun crossed his arms as Seohyun just looked down. After the mock battle, he wasn’t able to talk to Seohyun anymore. He did not even have the chance to defend her from Yunho when he discovered Seohyun protectively knocked Jjong off for Kris.

“It’s alright, keep it cool, man.” Leeteuk patted Kyuhyun’s back. “I can see she’s fine and unharmed. I guess we’re done here.”

“Did you see him?” Yunho asked his junior vampires who exchanged glances.

“See who?” Seohyun suddenly interrupted. Her seniors were all flabbergasted to notice the hue of her eyes in such simple commotion. “What?”

“Y-your eyes. Seohyun, what really happened?” Yunho asked. “Did Kim Jaejoong harm you? I asked these mentors to track him down.”

“Unfortunately, he was out of bounds when we reached the city.” Leeteuk looked at Seohyun. “He was running too fast like he was being chased by fast-running creatures. Or either way, he must have known we were running after him.”

Kris stood there; presence remained unnoticed. He flinched at Leeteuk’s words as he knew wolves were actually chasing Jaejoong and that wolves also chased after him and Seohyun. He was also aware that Seohyun did not actually agree to keep his identity and what could be worse is them knowing what he truly is.

“He’ll be pretty much aware that we’re hunting him now.” Yunho shook his head as his hands were on his hips. “We should go back to the town as of the moment.”

“Actually,” Seohyun halted the three male vampires who were about to walk off. “It’s not only Jaejoong that happened.” They titled their heads, eyebrows furrowed in curiosity of what she was saying. “Wolves happened.”

Yunho, Leeteuk and Kyuhyun had lumps stuck in their throat. Only the whooshing of the leaves could be heard until several footsteps broke the silence. Yunho, Leeteuk and Kyuhyun’s eyes widened and abruptly surrounded Seohyun protectively.

“Kris-hyung!” Chanyeol called from afar. The three seniors sighed in relief hearing it was a common voice from their town. Chanyeol, together with the other EXO members, panted when they reached Kris.

“I did not notice he was there.” Kyuhyun gritted his teeth thinking it was Kris’ fault why Seohyun was punished. Seohyun just gave him a stern look.

“What are you guys doing out here?” Yunho asked. “Don’t tell me it’s a mission when you’re all running here together searching for your leader.”

Some of the angels exchanged glances. “We were just running around, you know, jogging.” D.O. sheepishly answered. Suho just faked a chuckle and put an arm over D.O.’s shoulder.

“Yunho-shi, what he means is that we usually gather together before going back to our town, like real brothers. And Kris-hyung was the only one left before we go back.” Suho politely covered up for D.O.’s lame excuse.

“Oh, and he just happened to be here with Seohyun. Isn’t that suspiscious?” Kyuhyun eyed Seohyun who glanced at Yunho and Leeteuk who were looking at her as well.

Seohyun looked at Kris, “We weren’t together. We just saw each other here at the park and then the three of you came.”



 

''Tell us what exactly happened.'' Yunho looked at Seohyun and crossed his arms as his office was crowded with all the concerned vampires--mostly, the old ones like Super Junior and SNSD.

Taeyeon stood by Seohyun's side, comforting her from all the vibes that surrounded the current atmosphere in the TVXQ's office.

''Seohyun-shi?'' Yunho had to catch her attention again. The other vampires all fixed their gazes to her as well, making her even more uncomfortable.

Taeyeon squeezed her arm, nodding at her that it'll be fine if she speaks of what happened.

Seohyun awkwardly cleared , eyes dropped on the floor. ''I have met Kim Jaejoong a few days back.'' The other vampire's eyes widened in surprise, even Taeyeon who was by her side. Kyuhyun shook his head and looked down. He was disappointed in so many ways because he was Seohyun's mentor.

''When I was sent to the city, I was clueless on how to spend my seven days of existence there.'' Seohyun continued, ''I first visited my parents grave and I did not know how Jaejoong was able to follow me there. He was suddenly there.''

Yunho shook his head. ''There must be something that he wants from you... which is not good as long as we don't know his intentions.''

''He told me that we had connections.'' Seohyun suddenly blurted out. Changmin almost choked and that's when she remembered she had to be careful with words, especially when she would come to the point of mentioning Kris.

''What connections?'' Leeteuk interrupted.

Seohyun shifted her gaze to Leeteuk before answering his question. ''He knew my parents. He told me about imprinting and how our families were subjected to royalties before.'' She paused when they heard the door clicked opened. It was Heechul, he was always late for gatherings anyways. But before she could continue, she was half-surprised that Heechul brought along with him his trainee--Kris. To avoid nuisiance, she decided to continue. ''He blabbered about things that I did not really pay attention to. For the next few days, I was unaware that I've been spending time with him. Not that I liked it, but I had no choice because I was by myself in the city.''

''I'm... I'm really sorry for giving such a harsh punishment.'' Yunho humbly apologized in front of all the other present vampires.

''Let's not bring that one up, please. As her mentor, it's my obligation to talk about that with her.'' Kyuhyun said, ''I don't want the others to be intrigued about what happened when it's not a big deal.'' Yunho then nodded for Seohyun to continue.

''Jaejoong took care of me.'' Seohyun said, almost making Kris flinch. ''When I was almost dying of thirst, Jaejoong fed me.'' Seohyun fixed her gaze to Yunho. She could feel Kris' ice-cold stare at her but if she glanced at him, she wouldn't be able to lie and cover up for him.

''Jaejoong helped you?! That devil.'' Changmin snorted.

''I was working at this coffee shop he owns in partnership with a friend I'm not really familiar with. He provided me the job, maybe he knew I needed something to kill time at the city.'' Seohyun added, ''Sehun came to the coffee shop. I'm guessing he was surprised to see me there as well. Jae sensed he was a vampire, and Sehun played a joke with me that he'll bring me back home here, at the town, and Jae suddenly pounced on him.''

''He did that to my trainee? Sehun is so innocent!'' Sungmin slammed the sidetable in which he was standing behind.

''I know,'' Seohyun shifted her gaze to Sungmin. ''I know Sehun by his appearance, and I can't just let a senior outpower him so my instincts made me pull Jaejoong off Sehun and dragged him outside for a small talk.''

Kris started shaking his head. His thought ran like crazy by how Seohyun was indirectly lying to everyone else in the room. He was unsure why it stung him a little that Seohyun mentioned Jaejoong being her savior when it was him who did. Yunho noticed Kris' reactions but he was more eager to hear Seohyun out.

''We were talking outside the coffee shop, at a narrow street where no one could hear us. We were basically arguing about what he had done. Our golden eyes were fighting for domination but neither of us backed down and the next thing I knew was Sehun shouting my name, telling me to run. I heard the howling wolves approaching and Jaejoong volunteered to distract them and I ran to the other direction.''

 The room was filled with silence, even those in high positions couldn't find words to say. The door creaked open once again, revealing Jonghyun and Victoria. They slightly bowed in apology for being late and for interrupting such obvious discussion.

''I've heard myths and folklores about wolves before.'' Shindong bravely broke the silence. ''But I didn't believe they'd really exist.''

Ryeowook nodded, ''I thought they all died before.''

''Well that proves your knowledge insufficient but it's good to know you have ideas about such creatures.'' Heechul mocked them, making the girls giggle a little. Shindong and Ryeowook sheepishly looked down in embarrassment.

''I was wondering, though...'' Sungmin added, ''why they suddenly appeared. We need to ask Sehun about this--''

''I suggest you do not force things out of him. He's probably traumatized from what happened.'' Seohyun said with her voice shaking. She tried her best not to stutter.

Kris nodded in approval, knowing it's for his secret's safety as well. ''I can ask Sehun about it since I'm his leader. I can just inform you about what he'll spill.''

''Come on, I know Sehun. I'm his mentor, I can talk to him.'' Sungmin obliged. Seohyun and Kris exchanged glances knowing the danger they were facing.

''But Sehun--''

''It's okay, Seohyun-shi. Let's respect his mentor and let Sungmin-shi talk to him.'' Kris suddenly interrupted, not breaking his eye contact with Seohyun who just sighed in the end. ''We can trust Sehun on this one.'' Kris acted cool and crossed his arms. He remained emotionless as usual--one of the reasons why everyone's fooled by his real identity. Even Seohyun gave in to his cold attitude that she mistaken him as a vampire before.

''What should we do about these wolves?'' Taeyeon suddenly asked. ''Do we need to get rid of them? Do we declare a war once again?''

Leeteuk looked at Taeyeon. He had always known his trainee's soft heart and that wars like this--vampire wars--was one of the things that Taeyeon hated the most.

''We should not set out for war. We're not even sure yet if these wolves are threats to us or not.'' Leeteuk said.

''So first, we ask Sehun about what happened. Second, we set track Jaejoong down.'' Changmin said and he glanced at his elder brother. ''What do you say?''

Yunho stood up from his seat and rested his hands inside his pockets. He looked at the numerous vampires inside his office. They looked at their troubled expressions and they were quite a number that Yunho wouldn't sacrifice as what happened centuries ago. A war would never be an answer to end the misery. He took a deep breath before saying anything.

''I agree with my brother,'' he started off. ''Let's not take this case too serious as of the moment, I repeat, as of the moment.'' He then looked at Leeteuk. ''I know some of us are avoiding wars not because of its destruction but because we're not ready for it.'' He then shifted his gaze back to the other vampires. ''Our goal for now is to protect the town. I don't think Jaejoong is harmless as I have known him but right now, based from what Seohyun had told us, he is not harmful as well.''

The others nodded in agreement, still anticipating for Yunho's final word.

''As what I can see, somehow, he is only harmless towards Seohyun because of the connections he was telling her.'' Yunho looked at Seohyun, ''Aside from speculating Sehun about the wolves and tracking Jaejoong,'' he took a deep breath once again, ''I say we send Seohyun as bait.''

Before anyone could protest, ''That's all for now. Our short meeting is adjourned.'' Yunho said before pulling his chair and sitting on it.

Changmin opened the door for the vampires to leave and the others, being inferior to the TVXQ, had no choice but to follow them.



 

They all parted ways, going to their own homes or resuming their duties. Some went back to the city from some dating schedules while others headed back to what they were doing before Yunho called for an emergency meeting. Seohyun was still walking beside Taeyeon and Hyoyeon patted her back as she passed by them. Leeteuk was standing outside as if waiting for someone. Seohyun saw him looking at Taeyeon and she felt the urge to do something.

''Unnie, I'll be fine. Don't worry. I'll go and talk with my mentor first.'' Seohyun said, giving her unnie a reassuring smile. “You know Kyuhyun.” Seohyun playfully rolled her eyes and Taeyeon chuckled. She lightly embraced Seohyun before heading off. Seohyun watched her back disappear with Leeteuk. She knew Leeteuk would have to take care of Taeyeon because she made her leader worry too much about her. She could probably assume it was Taeyeon who sent Leeteuk to come with Kyuhyun to track Jaejoong down just to make sure she’s fine.

Seohyun was still standing on her spot when she noticed familiar voices arguing. “Aish jinjja Donghae-ah?! Stop following me! I am going to sleep!” Jessica stomped her feet. Donghae playfully poked her back.

“Cucumber queen, we’re off to work tonight.” Donghae caught up with Jessica’s pace. “Let’s have a run for tonight! Let’s hunt for food. Come on~” Donghae cutely pouted but it didn’t work on Jessica, not even once. Seohyun chuckled to herself seeing how these cute mentor-trainee relationship Donghae and Jessica always had.

Donghae finally stopped walking with Jessica. “Yah! Jessica Jung!” He called out. “You’re going with me tonight or I’ll extend your training time tomorrow!” Jessica scratched her head in annoyance. She knew Donghae won tonight. “Good girl.” Donghae ruffled her hair and Jessica quickly pushed his hand away from her, making face. Donghae looked too lively that he took another chance of ruffling Jessica’s hair before he ran a few feet away from here.

“LEE DONGHAE I HATE YOU MORE THAN I HATE CUCUMBERS!!!” Jessica cursed as Donghae playfully shouted back.

“I still love you though!” Donghae continued running as Jessica started chasing after him until they disappeared from Seohyun’s sight.

Seohyun chuckled once more and decided to just go back to their home, or maybe she could talk to Kyuhyun though she knows he’s not in a good mood. She turned to her side when she almost jumped in surprise to see Kris standing before her.

“I could have instinctively ripped off your head, you should know that.” Seohyun gritted her teeth. “You startled the hell out of me.” She glared at him before she was about to walk past him.

“I’ll talk to Sehun beforehand. You don’t have to worry about it.” Kris sternly said making Seohyun stop on her tracks. “I’m sorry I had to cut you earlier inside. I don’t want them to suspect anything from us.” Kris sighed as Seohyun did not even utter a word.

“I know what you did back there. It was brave of you to say such things.” Kris added.

Seohyun grunted and looked back at Kris. “What are you saying? It’s not like I lied.”

“But you did not tell them every detail. You left most unsaid.” Kris toned down his voice to keep anyone from hearing their conversation. “You’re putting yourself in danger. Now you’re a bait to track Jaejoong. That’s just wrong.”

Seohyun looked at Kris’ eyes. She couldn’t quite figure it out if he was concerned or was just trying to protect his little secret. “You did not have to come.”

“I had to. Leaders of the younger groups were asked to attend the meeting.” Seohyun realized he was actually telling the truth when she remembered Victoria and Jjong came late. “Not to mention you seemed to actually like hanging out with him.” Kris swallowed after and looked away from Seohyun—whose mouth hung open for a few seconds before she finally blinked twice to get back to reality.

“You just mentioned it.” Seohyun crossed her arms.

Kris’ jaw clenched and he glanced sideways at Seohyun before looking down on the ground. “Well…” He cleared his throat before looking up at Seohyun, “did you?”

Seohyun was taken aback by his question. She couldn’t think of better words to say. She couldn’t compromise whether she actually had to say yes or no to Kris. Thinking about Jaejoong because Kris was the one who asked a question about him was causing her to be confused. Good thing she spotted Kyuhyun from a distance. “I have to go now. I have a little ‘session’ with my mentor. I have so many things to explain to him. He’ll probably pull off my hair.” Seohyun avoided Kris’ eyes as much as she could.

Kris saw Kyuhyun walking towards them, he quickly turned to Seohyun again. “Can we put it this way: I protect you from what you said earlier in the meeting and you, in return, keep my secret. I promise to cover up for you—“

“Deal.” Seohyun cut him off as Kyuhyun was quite near them now. “Annyeong, Kyuhyun—“

“Oh, hello... Kris.” Kyuhyun flashed his infamous sapphire blue eyes in a millisecond at Kris as if warning something. “Now Mr. Wu, if you excuse me and my trainee…” Kyuhyun dragged Seohyun by her arm, not even letting Kris say another word as he just slightly bowed at the senior.

Kris watched Seohyun pry Kyuhyun’s hand off her but she just failed. He felt rather sorry for her because he knew he’d be scolding her for whatever reasons that include the incident during the mock battle.

Kris sighed to himself and just headed off.

As soon as the road was clear, a shadow played behind the wall where Kris and Seohyun were talking a while ago. She stepped out of the wall and looked at Kris’ back slowly disappearing from her sight. Footsteps were heard coming from the other direction.

“Let’s go, Yoona. I just came back inside for the list from the TVXQ for the schedules of guarding the boundaries of SM Town…” Yesung patted Yoona’s back as he was too occupied looking at the papers he was holding. Yoona took a quick glance at the path where Kris had disappeared with the lingering thought of curiosity about the conversation he had with her sister, Seohyun.