Chapter 14: Angels and Vampires and Wolves

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: Sorry for updating just now. Last day of the term is tomorrow! Thank God!]

 

Seohyun woke up from her deep slumber; to her surprise, she had fallen asleep. As a vampire, falling asleep was extremely rare an occurrence for them, save for the exception of Jessica. It puzzled Seohyun as to why she just did; perhaps it was the taxing effects of her week-long exile, but she didn’t have time to ponder. The sound of approaching footsteps echoing through the apartment corridor grew louder and she braced herself to pounce on whoever came through the door. Surely those footsteps belonged to an unwanted visitor of hers; her room was at the far end of the corridor and all the surrounding rooms were vacant.

As the room door swung open, Seohyun picked the intruder off his feet and pinned him to the ground in an instant motion.

''Oh god, when will you learn to be more gentle?'' Jaejoong hissed, pushing Seohyun's wrist away from him.

''I am not capable of being a little gentler; not to someone who turns up at my doorstep uninvited,'' Seohyun mocked, glaring at Jaejoong. ''I was born to break hearts and break lives.''

''Well I'm not one of those people whom you will be breaking. Now get off me, you are messing my suit up.'' Jaejoong motioned her to get off him. Seohyun slowly stood up and eyed Jaejoong once more before turning her back towards him. ''I suggest you learn to control your emotions and be easy on people.''

''I suggest you stop suggesting things to me.'' Seohyun looked at Jaejoong, ''I have to yet punish you for intruding my little city residence.''

''You better not.'' Jaejoong looked around the small room. He noticed that her bed had been slept on. ''You did not sleep with someone, did you?''

''Damn it, Kim Jaejoong!'' Seohyun yelled, slamming her palm on the dresser, almost breaking it. ''What do you think me of?! Am I that lowly a being in your eyes? If so, then you better leave before I make you.''

Seohyun’s beautiful eyes turned gold once more. Silence filled the air. Jaejoong seemed to be studying Seohyun's reactions; he stared at her as if to read her thoughts.

''You slept,'' he concluded, with a look of bemusement on his face.

''I did not.'' Seohyun looked down and blinked, as her eyes returned to their usual hue. Jaejoong took as a sign that she was lying.

''I am not forcing you to tell the truth. In fact, I am not expecting you to listen to anything I tell you to do.''

Jaejoong walked towards the door. Seohyun thought he was going to leave, but before she could even turn to sarcastically bid him goodbye, she found herself pinned to the wall.

For a moment, the pair was engulfed in silence and the only sound audible was that of Jaejoong breathing; Seohyun’s had stopped. If her heart could beat, it would have probably stopped as well. Jaejoong had his face close, eyes fixated on to hers. Seohyun didn’t know what she was feeling, but she was sure that this did not feel comfortable in anyway.

“Kim Jaejoong, get off me.'' Seohyun pretended to be cool and unflustered. But she knew she as of that moment, her strength was immensely lacking; especially in comparison to Jaejoong. She knew that while sleeping could help a vampire gain some of their lost strength back, but it does render them vulnerable for a short period upon awaking.

What puzzled her was that she felt a lot weaker that she should. Even now, it felt as if strength was being drained out of her body.

Jaejoong swiftly let her go. ''You need to return to SM Town.''

''I have no plans to alienate Yunho even more.'' Seohyun said.

''Well you have to make a plan to get back to that town of yours.'' Jaejoong said in a very serious tone.

''Whatever.''

''I said you need to get back home, to that stupid town!'' Jaejoong shouted, frustrated at her stubbornness. ''Don't you get it?! How many days have passed since you last drank blood?!'' Jaejoong's voice almost echoed in the secluded room. ''Damn it, Seo Joo Hyun! You're going to thirst and die before finishing the week in the city!''

Seohyun stood silent as she thought back. It was days since she last feasted on the savory crimson liquid of a living being. That was perhaps why her mind and body felt so tired and weak. She needed something to feed on, but the entire city had nothing but pets and humans.

Her vision started to blur, surrounding began spinning from her view. But before her eyes could shut, Jaejoong shook her shoulders frantically. “Hey! Pull yourself together! Die on me and I will never forgive you, Seo Joo Hyun.”

Seohyun smirked but her already pale skin lost even more life in its color. “Go ahead; let’s see if you can bear to. I thought we had some history in the past.”

As soon as she finished, her vision went black, falling into the grasping arms of Jaejoong.

Jaejoong was flustered. He had almost forgotten that Seohyun wasn’t feeding on anything. If there was anyone to be blamed, it was himself. He had forced Seohyun to work at his coffee house with good intent. His intention for her to be protected by those wolves, but he was careless. There was little consideration for her situation and as such, no care taken to ensure the well-being of her health.

It was a mixed feeling of sentiments. He was an emotionless vampire, capable of only conforming to his own desires and goals. But as soon as he saw Seohyun’s pathetic state, he found himself running in a flash towards the nearest forest because sending her home to her sister would be too taxing for Seohyun, considering her physical state. She was not an exemption to death. But to him, dying just because she had nothing to feed on was the silliest way to die.


 

“Hey Kris, where are you going?” Yunho called out him. They were having a conversation when Yunho called for his presence. Kris had just received a congratulatory message from Yunho personally. “We’re not done talking yet. Isn’t it a good news to see you’re quite points ahead of the lady vampire?”

Kris looked back at him. “It was one of the best news I’ve received lately, Yunho-shi.” Kris stopped on his tracks and bowed in respect to Yunho. “It was really a great honor to be informed of this by you personally.”

“Then what’s with the rush?” Yunho asked. Changmin had just arrived.

“Yeah, stay for some wine.” Changmin removed his coat and headed towards the bar and effortlessly opened a wine bottle.

“Being punished for saving my life during the mock battle was acceptable because she secretly intervened with the match that was supposed to be between Jjong-shi and myself.” Kris showed no emotions, his face in his normal serious look. “But that vampire is my saviour; I cannot let her die in thirst, in a city that is not her home.” Kris spoke as if he was one of their kind; but unknowing to everyone in the room, it was neither sympathy nor obligations that drew Kris to Seohyun’s side.

“What are you implying?” Yunho crossed his arms.

“To indirectly lead her to her own death is beyond immoral.” Kris held onto the door knob, twisting it as he finished his sentence. “That, I cannot let happen.” Silenced filled the room. “Thank you again for congratulating me. I highly appreciate it, Yunho-shi and Changmin-shi. Pardon me as I take my leave now to repay the favor of one who saved me from the wrath of a fellow vampire.” He bowed in the long corridor outside, closing it as soon as he rose.

 

Changmin smirked in amusement towards the choice of words Kris used. He chuckled and offered Yunho a glass of wine. “I guess that competition’s pretty tight.”

 

Kris raced towards the abundant forest. The beating of his heart seemed quicker than usual. There was something that pushed him on; something that his mind could not even begin to comprehend. The only thoughts on his mind were Seohyun and ensuring her safety.

He finally reached the edge of the forest, as he stood atop the steep cliff, overlooking the distant city. As he collected his thoughts, the cool breeze brushed through his hair, painting the picture of a troubled yet calm figure. With eyes closed, Kris inhaled deeply as he took a moment to enjoy the breeze before opening it. Basking in the sunlight as it illuminated his skin, his angelic wings unfurled and he took into the blue skies.

 

“I guess you are late, but I’m delighted you came.” The serene angel put a hand over Seohyun’s forehead. “It’s impossible for a vampire to get sick, right?” Lay looked up at Kris who just entered through the window. He was still on the window ledge; wings unfolded behind him.

Kris avoided Lay’s eyes. “Yes, but it’s not impossible for them to die of thirst.” Kris jumped from the ledge into Seohyun’s room. “What are you doing here?” Kris asked, raising one of his eyebrows.

“Something told me she wasn’t well and my instincts brought me to heal her.” Lay sat by the side of Seohyun’s bed. Carefully, he pulled the blanket over her. “But I guess my power won't work here.”

 

Kris appreciated Lay’s concern. However, he could wait no longer to indulge in a conversation of bluffs with his brother; Seohyun had to be attended to immediately.

“I’ll tell her you visited.” Kris swiftly lifted Seohyun onto his built arms. “For now, I shall take her to feed on something. She should be better after.” Kris stepped on the window ledge again.

“Hyung, you’re… You’re flying her … Wherever are you taking her to?” Lay asked, making Kris stop. He stiffened. Lay had a point. It is not right for them to reveal themselves to anyone, especially to vampires.

“I’ll tell her you said hi.” Kris ignored his younger brother and flew away with Seohyun in his arms.

The unconscious vampire adjusted her position; she was still weak. She felt the wind blew strongly against her skin; her hair was waving along with the flow of the wind.  Her vision was still blurry, but she thought she saw the sky and clouds moving above her. The feeling was strange.

 

Just as she was about to conclude that she was airborne, she opened her eyes once more to realize she was sitting on the ground, back against a huge tree trunk. The scent of her surroundings awaken her to where she was; the forest.

As she slowly stood up, the dried leaves beneath her feet produced rustling and crunching sounds. Gaining support by holding on to the tree trunk, she begun to find her balance, knowing that if she didn’t do so, her legs would probably give way.

 “Careful now,” said a caring voice, as the figure supported her arm. It was that familiar warmth and husky voice that she never knew she’d long for. “Let’s go this way, I found some foxes and deer, whichever you prefer to eat.” Kris slid his hand down to hers, holding as if his life depended on it. The warmth of his skin against Seohyun’s hand sent the feeling of security and protection to her.

“Wait, h-how did you!?” Seohyun uncomfortably started to ask a question but trailed off.

“It doesn’t matter; I’m just returning a favor.” Kris swept aside the tree branches that covered the path they were about to take. “What matters right now is for you to fill yourself.”

“I’m going to murder my sisters,” Seohyun hissed under her breath.  “By the way, I can hunt by myself, you may go now.”

“You have the ability to, but you cannot.” Kris said as he offered his other hand for her to safely go down from a rock they were stepping on.

“You are mocking my strength.” Seohyun rolled her eyes and removed her hand on Kris’ grip. “I am offended.” She then jumped off the rock by herself without relying on Kris’ help. She safely landed on the ground as Kris walked ahead of her. She followed his tracks, for some reasons that she couldn’t understand, she trusted him.

 

The scent of mouthwatering blood filled Seohyun’s nostrils. Her eyes started flaring its brilliant gold state. For that moment, all she saw were the dead bodies of animals, forgetting the presence of Kris. All she could see were the food for her to feast on, food to fill her and quench her dried throat.

As Seohyun started feeding on one of the animal bodies, he his back and walked to the far side of the forest. It was something his eyes could not bear to watch. It was the monstrous side of Seohyun. It was something extremely different from his nature of living.

“I feel like I just committed a crime,” Chanyeol said while he washed his hands by the riverside. “Hey, D.O.! Can you wash those machetes too?” D.O. nodded. As soon as he took one of those, someone stopped him and took knives away.

“Just wash your hands. I’ll take care of these.” Kris said. He smiled a little. “You guys stink.”

Luhan laughed, “So care explaining a little as to what we just did for you?” He wiped off the blood stains from his hands with a ragged shirt.

“Just a mission, you know her.” Kris said as he washed the sharp weapons by the river. “Thanks for doing it for me.”

“Oh, those innocent animals are food for her?” D.O.’s eyes widened. “Poor animals!”

“It’s the vampires’ nature to kill them.” Luhan just shrugged his shoulders. “They still die. This time, they just died in the pure hands of angelic creatures.”

“It’s like committing a grave sin!” Chanyeol dried his hands. “Kris-hyung! You think God can still forgive us?”

“I believe He will never abandon anyone.” Kris dried the cleaned machetes and handed them to Luhan. “Anyway, thanks my brothers. I owe you guys one.” He patted D.O.’s shoulder before heading back to where Seohyun was.

 

Seohyun wiped the blood stains off side of her lips. Her body’s lively yet pale color was back. Her lips were red.

“Done?” Kris jumped down branch high up a nearby tree. “Sorry I have them dead.”

Seohyun thought she saw slits at the back of Kris’ button up shirt. “Poor jump. Your shirt’s ruined at the back.” Seohyun dusted off her clothes.

Kris glanced behind his shoulders. He smirked, “I can be a real klutz sometimes,” thinking that those cuts were because of his wings.

“Did any of my unnies tell you about my whereabouts?” Seohyun asked. “Don’t worry; you can tell me, I won’t murder them.” Kris chuckled at her remark.

“No, they absolutely refused to say a word,” Kris said. He started walking back towards the clearer entrance of the forest. Seohyun just followed behind. “You and your sisters have a special bond; I guess that’s why you guys are so tight.”

As soon as they reached near the end of the forest, Seohyun started to speak once more. “I have to get back to the city.”

“I know.” Kris said. Before Seohyun could say another word, Kris continued. “I suggest you to be careful with your co-workers in that coffee shop. I don’t care if they seem harmless or otherwise, just be on your toes. Just don’t get into their business.”

“What do you mean?”

“Just keep your eyes open.” Kris said. “I don’t sleep.” Seohyun said. She flashed a smile that was enough to blow away the stern, emotionless angel. “If you happen to see my sisters, please tell them I’m doing well.” Kris nodded. But before Seohyun could even take a step, a beastly creature barged in between her and Kris.

Both Kris’ and Seohyun’s reflexes were fast. But they found themselves in a rather awkward position when both of them reached to protect each other. It was an involuntary reflex once the wolf moved to pounce on them.

They stood atop a branch while watching the wolf beneath. Its howl seemed to echo throughout the bountiful forest. Kris held Seohyun tightly against his chest until they realized they were in such close physical proximity. Kris loosened up. “I’ll say this once more, always keep your eyes open.” He flashed his silver eyes at Seohyun. Somehow, Seohyun took this as a sign that Kris knew something about this wolf. She just nodded.

“Wolves are just normal creatures,” Seohyun said, wanting to play with Kris’ reactions.

“They are not,” Kris warned, a little too late, as Seohyun stepped away from him. She bent her knees and before Kris could stop her, she jumped in front of the wolf. Kris sighed in annoyance and dragged Seohyun away from the wolf towards the city-bound edge of the forest.

“Hey!” Seohyun slapped Kris’ arm away from her. “I was trying to study the wolf. That could have been my dessert!”

“Your dessert!?” Kris annoyingly chuckled. “I will not allow anyone to harm you, much less break you.”

“Thanks for the concern, but no one will break me; I am the heartbreaker after all,” Seohyun said. “I am strong enough to fend for myself.”

“Everyone’s strong enough to protect themselves but not all know whom they should protect themselves from.” Kris refuted and Seohyun lost her will to rebut. “Go now.” Kris pointed towards the city. “Go on.” He sounded authoritative. Seohyun did not want to argue anymore so she just swiftly vanished.

 


 

Seohyun stood before the door of the coffee shop. ‘Closed’ was the sign as she stared at it hanging on the other side of the door. The coffee shop was close for the day. Before she could back away from the door, Seohyun was trapped between it and Jaejoong.

“Where the hell have you been?” Jaejoong’s eyes beamed a bright gold.

“I thought I was supposed to work here.” Seohyun glared back at him. Their eyes engaged in what seemed like a visual battle as to whose eyes had the brighter hue.

“You are not answering my question.” Jaejoong gritted his teeth. “Where. Have. You. Been.”

“Abbeoji, your daughter was just wandering around the city looking for a lollipop.” Seohyun mimicked a child’s voice before straightened up and spoke with her normal voice, “Kim Jaejoong, stop acting as if I have to report my every action to you.”

The intense staring continued. Neither of them wanted to give in.

“Will you ever see me as your guardian and protector instead of as a devilish being?” Jaejoong muttered. Seohyun could almost feel his breath against her face.

There was a few seconds of silence until Seohyun burned the insides of Jaejoong with her reply.

“No.”


If you guys want to check out the Vietnamese version of this fic. 
Click here!
The pictures were also from there! <3 Awesome edits, right?