Chapter 17: Trust and Confusions

The Heartbreakers

 

[A/N: I hope you did not mind the long wait. :) I'm working with the next few chapters, and actually, I'm enjoying with the outcome. More action and adventures, more that will keep the wait worth it =) I was supposed to post this chapter a few days back but I had my finals week and internet's usually a crap. if you know what I mean.... so here you go. :) This is a raw file. Unedited.

Thank you for the readers/subs/comments. I'd love to hear again from you, guys! :) ]

 

The sun was still hiding behind the dark sky but its bright rays were somehow trying to escape the clouds of sigh hovering obverse it. Two shadows of men who were standing beside each other could be seen through the sliding glass doors covered with thin curtains. The dawn was breaking as the sun was threatening to rise brightly. The town was covered with silence and its peacefulness was apparent. The boundaries were guarded by some vampires while the others slacked off to rest. Only the sounds of their breathing could be heard from the balcony they were standing on.

Kris had his arm crossed over his chest just like the usual. ''I'm glad at least no one inquired injuries.''

''That's a good thing when I saw them running towards the forest. Nobody was hurt. I had no one to heal.'' Lay sighed as though it was disappointing that he couldn't use his powers.

They were talking about what happened and they were exchanging thoughts on how Seohyun would be sent to the city as bait to Jaejoong. Kris, nevertheless, wanted to have Jaejoong killed the most. That's the only way for him to call it quits for the known strongest vampire was the one responsible for his great loss in life. His parents' death was the reason why he was transformed to be an angel, why he became a fallen one and why all these complicated things were happening to him. Tracing them all back--it was mainly Jaejoong's fault.

On the other hand, being the closest to Lay, he knew exactly how his younger brother feels. Lay always felt as if he was the most useless member of the clan. He was never allowed to fight along with his brothers whenever there would be a threat to them. He was always kept inside the house or at least somewhere where he would wait for his brothers to come back after facing dangers. Lay had always been the one to heal all the wounds his brothers acquired. As being always left behind, like the night when his brothers were chased by the wolves, he felt terribly worried yet he couldn't do anything at all but stay behind and wait for his brothers to come to him.

Kris sighed remembering some trivial arguments his brothers had with Lay before. ''You're never useless. I hope you'll start embarking it in your mind.''

''But...'' Lay tried to gather his thoughts first before he continued, ''I'm only not useless when you guys need me to heal your injuries. But come on, nobody of us would want anyone to be hurt.''

''Come to think of it, Lay.'' Kris spoke with authority. He faced Lay who had a gloomy look on his face. ''We cannot risk your life with us all the time. Not when you cannot heal your own wounds.'' Lay looked down realizing Kris had a point. ''Who would heal D.O. when he acquirs serious injuries like before? What would happen if Luhan and Chen's deep cuts on their torso were not healed like what happened long ago?'' Kris cited instances from their past that made Lay realize his brother was actually right.

''Lay, just take care of yourself because only you can take care of us.'' Kris finally said, making the younger one slowly nod in agreement.

After an awkward silence, Lay leaned on the railings and brushed his hands together.

''How do you feel about Seohyun being the bait?'' Lay asked with his eyes focused on the vast view of the empty horizon which hue was turning to lighter shade of blue. However, Kris did not want to answer the question. ''She just got back to the town and now she's going to leave again. Maybe one day, we'll see her lying on her bed, dying of thirst once again. Then you'll be her hero once again and fly her--''

''Seohyun knows.'' Kris cut Lay off which brought another moment of silence. Lay chuckled as if not believing the words that he thought were merely a joke. ''She knows I fly. She knows I'm not like her who rips the heart out of innocent animals. She knows, Lay. She knows what I am--''

''What? You fool!'' The sliding door behind them suddenly opened with a fist landing on Kris' cheek. ''How can you be so stupid?! How can you let a damn vampire damn you and expose yourself--?! Huh?'' Suho tried to punch Kris once more but Lay was mindful enough to pull him back. Suho kept on struggling to shrug Lay's arms around him.

''Hyung, stop it! Let duizhang explain--I'm pretty sure he can!'' Lay held Suho tightly.

''S-Suho, she promised to keep it a secret--'' Kris wiped the blood on his lips and Suho couldn't seem to let him explain further.

''I knew you'd bring us down someday. This clan... I tried to keep up to find back our ways to heaven and you did this?! Expose ourselves to a non-angel creature--much more to a vampire?'' Suho finally calmed down a bit. Lay removed his arms off Suho who stepped closer to Kris. ''What for did I let EXO-K save you from the hell you went through if after everything we've done, you'll just fail us like this? How can you trust that lady vampire? Just because you're assigned to a mission to break her heart doesn't excuse you for exposing our true identity.'' Suho gritted his teeth. All throughout his lectures to Kris, he was just looking down. Kris couldn't look at Suho who was always the kindest and liveliest one of his brothers.

Kris slowly looked up and met Suho's gaze. He probably did not see Suho's eyes changed color because he was looking down all the while. ''You're wrong.'' He bravely said. ''I cannot let anyone of you be harmed. I am not thoughtless and idiot enough to let her know what you guys are. I know that who we are is a secret and it must be kept within our clan, within the twelve of us only.'' Kris took a deep breath. ''I'd rather face the wrath of all the vampires alone... That's why I only exposed my identity.''

Suho stepped back away from Kris, unable to find his voice. Lay put a hand over his shoulder, ''Hyung, just trust Kris on this one. He knows what he's doing.'' He lifted his eyes to Kris, ''I hope.''

''Is there something going on?'' Chanyeol opened the curtains and saw the three of them on the terrace.

''N-nothing. We were just talking about the date I had two days ago...'' Suho put an arm over Chanyeol's shoulder and dragged him inside the house. Kris and Lay exchanged looks after Suho left.

''So what happens if Seohyun will betray you and reveal your identity to the TVXQ gods?'' Lay asked.

''Get killed.'' Kris casually answered.

''Then you'd let us wait in vain before you get back to life. Just like what had always happened before.'' Lay shook his head. Both of them knew that death did not exist for angels but being reborn would take quite some time. Kris had always been killed before. He was a strong angel but everybody knew he was powerless unlike his brothers. All he had was the strength he gained from trainings and unimaginable speed in flying that he naturally possessed. Whenever he died, the breaking of the curse would always be put to halt as the EXO members became leaderless.

''Let's just trust Seohyun too, as much as you trust me.'' Kris muttered before heading inside their house, sensing that his other brothers were fully awake now. Lay watched Kris asked his brothers about certain matters, casually opening up conversations. Kris was doing it again--pretending everything's fine when he just had a fight with Suho.

Lay felt sad for Kris. Suho was probably the second closest angel to Kris next to him. Thinking about everything that Kris had to undergo, he just couldn't take it.

 


 

 

Jaejoong massaged his temples as he dropped his pen on the book he was writing on. Junsu put a hand over his shoulder, ''Stop working on that research. I know you can't get your head focused right now.'' Junsu then faced the glass windows from Jaejoong's office and sipped his drink.

 Jaejoong let out an exasperated sigh as he covered his face with his hands like a child crying after his balloon had flown away. He leaned on the back of his chair and stared blankly, ''She's gone again to some place I can't go.''

''And here you go again being a complete misery without letting us know what exactly the catch with Seohyun is.'' Junsu answered, eyes still not leaving the view from the window.

''I don't know if I have to feel eased because she's perfectly safe there at SM Town, and that's assumingly where she'd want to be.'' Jaejoong run his hand on his hair, ''Part of me feels sad because after all the runs, I felt so far away from her again.''

Junsu pulled a chair in front of Jaejoong's table which was full and covered with thick piles of papers and stacks of books. ''Just tell me. Spill and I'll listen.''

Jaejoong hesitated at first. Even if Junsu and Yoochun were with him during the runs he had in his life after leaving SM Town, this was the part of his life that he never told them. He clasped his hands together and leaned closer to the table--elbows resting on it. He then started telling Junsu everything about his family and the Seo's. He narrated how unaware he was when he fought and killed human beings for the sake of saving Seohyun's grudges when her parents died.

''It's funny right? She's the girl I'm supposed to marry yet she's the girl closest to being my mortal enemy.'' Jaejoong shook his head with a mischievous smile. ''I just don't get it anymore. At one point, I'm glad to have met her again. On the other point, I hate it that she's bound to take my place from the TVXQ. Worse, she might overpower me.''

“She’s going to take your place among the TVXQ gods? How is that possible?”

“I’m not sure of it. But I am quite certain when I was joking about it before. Her eyes showed me answers that indeed, she’s summoned to replace me.”

''And now you're working on a research about angels.'' Junsu broke the silence. ''You can't serve two masters at a time.''

''Maybe I should just get my head on my purpose.'' Jaejoong looked down on the book, ''Hunt angels.''

''Yoochun and I can always help you. Just tell us what to do.'' Junsu said. ''How far have you gone with your research?''

''According to everything I've read, there are only twelve of them. Compared to them, we are stronger. But some books said they possess some... Super natural powers.'' Jaejoong said.

Junsu slightly nodded, ''That's kinda cool.''

''Their eyes have colors as well. But the difference from us, they don't have a single color that identifies them as a group.''

''What does that mean?''

''Before, when I was just new to SM Town, the times when I first spent with TVXQ, my eyes shone in red color. Yunho and Changmin had the same colors as well.'' Jaejoong added, ''Super Junior members have the same eye colors as well. However, in the case of SNSD, they're still in the process of maturing and growing that's why their eyes are still glimmering in different colors.''

''But sooner or later, their eyes would change into one color as well?''

Jaejoong nodded, ''Same goes with the other younger groups.''

Junsu looked down on his hands with the cup of coffee, ''You said TVXQ had red eyes?'' Jaejoong nodded. ''Only TVXQ then possesses such hue?''

''Neh.  But like my eye color, the golden state only changes once that certain vampire is quite stronger than the others. For Super Junior's case, it's Leeteuk.'' Jaejoong explained. ''So moreover, I'd have to wait for some groups of vampires to have one eye color before I can easily identify who are the angels.'' He sighed.

They continued talking about Jaejoong’s documentation on angels. However, Junsu couldn’t really focus so he had to leave him working on his research. As soon as Junsu left, Jaejoong dropped his pen and his back arched against his chair. He held one of his legs and massaged it. The pain that stung his leg was growing, he kept this hidden for days but it was getting harder to bear.



 

Junsu rushed back to their apartment and found Yoochun there.

“What do you mean?” Yoochun asked Junsu when they were at their flat.

Junsu looked at Yoochun after pouring wine on his glass, “You heard it right. TVXQ have red eye colors. Exactly the same as ours.”

Yoochun shook his head,  “That doesn’t mean we should have been part of them, does it?”

Junsu sipped his wine before sighing, “I actually think we are.”

 


 

Yoona was sitting on a branch of a huge tree while the moon was at its brightest. Her legs lay low as she kept on swinging them as if there was an inaudible rhythm.

“Could you please stop swinging your legs?” Sooyoung said as she sat on the tree across from where Yoona was. However, Yoona just sighed in response. “Okay, spill what’s bothering you.”

Yoona shook her head, “I was just wondering… what makes Seohyun really special? Aren’t we all vampires, just like her?”

Sooyoung narrowed her eyes, eyebrows twitching in curiosity. She wasn’t expecting such words from her sister, “You said it yourself, we’re all vampires like her… so I don’t think there’s anything to be insecure about.”

“I am not insecure.” Yoona sounded too defensive. “I was just wondering.”

“ Is that the only thing that bothers you?”

“I think she’s hiding something from us.” Yoona said. Eventually, she told Sooyoung what she heard when Seohyun and Kris were talking. It was a deal that she couldn’t understand, a deal that seemed to be a secret. Though Yoona felt like she wasn’t in the right position to tell it to Sooyoung, she thought who would have the right if she was the only who knows?

Sooyoung sighed after hearing Yoona’s explanation, “Maybe we should just wait for her to tell it to us.”

“I hope she will. I can’t keep a secret for a long time. Especially if it’s really bothering.”

“Let’s just put it this way, Kris is a mission to her, maybe it’s just a part of her plan to break his heart, right?”

“I hope so.” Yoona sighed once again.

 

Jaejoong gazed upon the empty horizon as the sun was setting. The picturesque view of the vast sun set was enough to make him forget things for a moment. It was perfect. It was something that could put himself to relief. It made him forget for a moment that he was a troubled vampire, that he was a mystical creature that humans might hate, and that in his world, vampires hated him too.

His mind wandered… what if he did not kill those humans? It wasn’t as if Seohyun cared about him before. She never gave a damn about him, even now. Would his parents be still standing beside him right now? Would his life be perfect?

He glanced to his left and watched humans interact with each other. It was like watching life pass by him like a film, to humans, it was short, for him, it was an endless series. The more intently he gazed upon the innocent creatures, the more he almost laughed at himself—he thought he saw Seohyun just when he was thinking of her.

But it was really her.

Seohyun was up again for one of her missions. She was with some random guy once again, trying to make everything seem normal even after all the things she had been through for the past few weeks. The smile plastered on her face seemed so pure, so natural, so true. Jaejoong wanted to just look at her… but the boy with him was bothering his once peaceful thoughts. His eyes instantly changed its hue as if sending death glares to the boy. He pursed his lips to hide his fangs—he was not controlling these things. Seeing Seohyun with another guy, even if he clearly knew it was only a mission to break hearts, he couldn’t help but feel this way.

Seohyun was in the city once again to help SMTown capture him. She was really confused—the town threw him away, sent him away before, but now they suddenly want to capture him? The sight of Jaejoong as of the moment was the perfect timing to call Changmin and Yunho. He was standing defenseless. They caught a glimpse of each other and it seemed that both wanted to hold the stare longer. Both were trying to read each others’ thoughts, as if they could. Seohyun was about to dial Yunho’s number but as soon as she saw sadness in Jaejoong’s eyes, something that she never expected to see, she refused. She watched him turned his back on her and slowly walked away.

He was kind of limping.

She wasn’t supposed to show her soft side, but as soon as Jaejoong walked away and was lost in the crowd, she immediately left the man with her. She made her way to follow the vampire she hated the most. Her mind was suddenly clouded like the emerging night sky. She had to follow him.

And find out what’s wrong. If he’s fine. And why he was limping.

 

She was too eager to find him until she reached an empty street. She lost him.