Chapter 29: Unexpected Revelation

The Heartbreakers

The night deepened as Seohyun heaved a deep sigh and decided to just go back to her apartment like what a normal person would—it seems that every body’s already asleep. She adjusted her back from leaning on the very same railing near the lake. She finally made up her mind to just leave. Disappointed in Kris, she might just visit Kara next thing in the morning.

Seohyun longed for warmth in her hands so she rested them inside the pockets of her coat as she started walking back to the direction of her apartment. They somehow gave her a warm feeling but not as warm as Kris’ hands used to give her all the time but it would suffice at the moment. For a while there, it was weird to walk. She wanted to run and just vanish in the thin air and be exactly where she needs to be but walk seemed a good idea. Besides, she was not in a place where she could just act as a vampire that she was.

But it was not until Seohyun felt someone following her. The shadows on the ground show someone is indeed walking behind her. She wasn’t alone.

Thinking it was just some another drunkard who would try to hit on her, she heaved an exasperated sigh and quickly turned around to block the guy. She quickly held both of his hands behind him and held him close to she can just snap his neck. However, he was just as fast to remove her hands off his.

She did not give up just yet, she quickly started to throw a punch on the man but he dodged quite well until she held him down by his wrists.

“Wow, your eyes.” A familiar voice said. His hot breath touched her face and she realized that her face wasn’t just inches away from this guy, he was also someone she knew.

“Suho,” She slowly released his wrists and stepped back. “I didn’t know it was you.” However, due to tension, her eyes still gleamed in bright gold.

“Your eyes, they gleam so brightly.” Suho mumbled and it seemed that he couldn’t take his eyes off hers.

Seohyun looked away first and blinked twice before she captured the puzzled look on Suho’s face. “Oh god, is it still there?” She asked.

Suho shook his head and slightly smiled, “No, they’re gone but just so you know, they’re really nice to look at and I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable for a while there.” Seohyun looked around, trying to find if Kris was actually with him and Suho didn’t miss that look on her face. A look of longing, missing probably.

“Kris-hyung sent me.” Suho pleasantly smiled at her. “He, uh, he had some errands to do.”

“What errands? If—if he’s trying to find the other—“

“We shouldn’t talk about these things in the open.” Suho cut her off, still a small smile tugged on his lips.

“Uh, sure. Yes, we should go to this coffee shop that’s open for twenty-four hours. I think it’s just two blocks away—“ She stopped blabbering when she noticed Suho was just staring at her. “What?”

“I’d say we should go to your place.”

“My place?”

“We don’t want other people to misunderstand this.” Suho pointed between him and Seohyun then he walked a little closer to her, “We also need to discuss the plan.”

“Alright, my place then.” Seohyun stuttered before she led the way to her apartment.


 

Jessica slowly opened the door of their house in the wee hours that night. She peeked inside and saw the lights were still on and that somebody’s still showering. She removed her shoes and she seemed tired.

Yuri then came downstairs to see who just got home and greeted Jessica.

“Oh, you finally got back.” Yuri said as she sauntered to the kitchen and look for something to drink. “Do you want to drink?” It was energy drink. Though vampires would usually drink blood, they had somehow grown into drinking other human things.

“No, I’m fine.”

“God, I’m so parched. I think I might go for a run tonight.” Yuri said as she wasn’t satisfied with the human energy drink. She threw the can on the trash bin and headed to the door. “I’m going to hunt, in case somebody looks for me.” Jessica just nodded.

She went upstairs to her room and unraveled her bag, searching for something. That’s when it finally hit her—she lost her wallet but it’s in the gym, most probably. She hoped so. She quickly grabbed her jacket and opened the door of her room.

She jumped in surprise when she saw Yuri stood there, knowing she just left to hunt. But then again, she was the fastest runner, wasn’t she?

“You startled me.” Jessica held her breath and sighed.

“Well, I just know, for a fact, that you’re looking for your wallet.” Yuri said and Jessica nodded. “It’s with Donghae, I think he mentioned you left it after your training. I forgot to tell you earlier.”

“Alright, I get it. Thanks.” Jessica smiled at Yuri and was about to say something when Yuri beat her to it.

“I can go get it on my way, if you want.” Yuri said but Jessica closed the door behind her and walked side by side with Yuri downstairs.

“No, I’m okay. I’ll get it. Have a good hunt and be careful of the border guards tonight, they might mistake you for Kim Jaejoong, you know.” Jessica said as they opened their little gate outside.

“You have a point. I’ll give Sunny a call, I think she’s on the post tonight. Thanks, unnie!” Yuri said as she completely vanished in the dark. Jessica shook her head as she vanished to the opposite direction.

 

“Oh, Jessica-shi?” Heechul greeted nonsensically as he opened the door. It seems that he wasn’t in a very good mood. Jessica can see the house from the door opening and it was filled with the SJ members.

“Annyeong, oppa.” Jessica greeted. “Sorry to bother, I’m looking for my mentor,” She tried to peek behind Heechul who also looked behind him.

“Ah, he’s not here. I think he wanted to work out with Eunhyuk. Heard he’s really preparing for this mock battle he finally decided to join in.” Heechul said.

“Oh, is that so? Anyway, thank you and sorry again for knocking on your door in the middle of the night.”

 

Jessica went to the gym. It was clearly closed as stated by the sign hanging on the door but then she could see a small light coming from one of the rooms inside so she opened the door and entered anyway.

She slowly made her way to the room and she could hear the sound of punches. She leaned on the door frame when she reached the room. There she saw Donghae throwing punches towards Eunhyuk who was dodging every throw. Training, she thought.

The door then made a sound which made both Donghae and Eunhyuk stop and gaze her way.  She smiled awkwardly. Donghae and Eunhyuk exchanged looks and the latter knew to just walk away to the other room and rest for a while to give the two their privacy. As Donghae’s best friend, Eunhyuk completely and perfectly understands Donghae in everything.

Jessica smiled at her ever caring and kind mentor. She just had a not so good day but it was nice seeing him right now. She watched Donghae wiped his face with a small towel and headed towards her, this time holding her wallet, the thing that she was looking for. Her eyes lit up when she saw it. He just handed Jessica the brown leather wallet without a word, without even greeting her, without even meeting her gaze this time. Jessica’s smile slowly turned into a frown.

“Is there something wrong?” Jessica casually asked.

Donghae looked at her. He seemed hurt, but how could that even be possible? He looked away before speaking, “So,” he cleared his throat and added, “You just got back?” It sounded more like a statement to Jessica so she remained silent and studied Donghae for a while. He acted weirdly. He’s usually cheerful around her. “Tell me, did you finally see him?”

“What—who?” Jessica asked, this time, her eyebrows creased.

Donghae jeered, “Who else? How is he?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Oh, please, Jessica. We both know you went to the city and came back late to meet someone.”

Jessica was speechless for a few seconds before she crossed her arms. “What made you say that? What if I was just out for a mission—“

“Were you?” Donghae looked at her this time. Fury and dejection were apparent in his eyes, in a way that Jessica couldn’t decipher.

“So what if I wasn’t? What’s it to you?” Jessica raised one of her eyebrows. Her ice-cold heart was suddenly present in her every feature. Donghae hated her looking like this—like she hated everything, like she didn’t care about anything at all but it was him causing her to be this way right now. He hated that more.

“Can you open your narrow mind a little, Jessica? You met up with the vampire that this whole town detests!”

Jessica was taken aback by Donghae’s choice of words. Donghae realized he said too much than what meant to say. But his emotions were overtaking his straight thinking.

“Well, guess what? The whole town doesn’t despise him.” Jessica clearly pointed herself out. This time, Donghae was the one taken by surprise. Silence enveloped them for a while as tension finally receded a little. “Come on, why are you mad? Was it because I disturbed your training? I’m sorry, I just had to get my wallet, okay?”

“Of course, you had to. Because there’s something important inside that.” Donghae snorted and Jessica wasn’t sure if she heard him right.

“Really, Donghae-oppa.” Donghae almost melted again by that simple endearment which he should be familiar to. “What is this really about?”

“I don’t know, it—it bothers me, okay? Everybody knows he brings nothing but harm. Don’t you get that?” And he cares and he worries a lot too but he didn’t say that.

“Okay, fine! But—how—why did you even know I went to look for Jaejoong? Why is it such a big deal?!” Jessica threw her hands in the air, gesturing frustration. That’s when she noticed what she was holding again—her wallet. When she looked at it, Donghae knew he was wrong too. “So this is what it’s about, huh? You looked through this.” She raised her hand holding the wallet. Donghae just looked at her. She could see he was sorry in his eyes, but she’s not going to buy that.

Jessica shook her head and stepped back a little. “I can’t believe you did that. Just so you know, it’s something really personal to me. And you’re what—you’re just my trainer, I know you earned my trust for a long time now, but sorry, you just destroyed that trust that we built together.”

“It’s not like that, okay? I—I just,” Donghae bit his lips and his expression changed into something more like uncaring. “You know what? Think what you like, I don’t want to care. And just so you know too, I’m not scheduling any training with you for the mean time.” Now that’s too much, Jessica thought. “I want to train myself for the mock battles and I don’t need any distraction.”

Jessica scoffed but she was hurt a little, as much as she wanted to deny. “Wow, just—wow.”

Donghae’s chest moved up and down in rage, his breathing became heavy and uneven, he didn’t even notice that until silence came around again. “You can visit him with all the time you have now without trainings.” He finally turned around and walked away from Jessica. He tried to busy himself and pretended to be fixing his things.

“Well, guess what? Tonight, I guess someone despises you too.” Jessica said but in a soft and hurting voice but Donghae heard it clearly. It was followed by retreating footsteps which meant Jessica left.

Donghae shook his head once and Eunhyuk leaned on the door frame from the other room.

“Or you could have just told her you’re sorry and that she should be more cautious with what she’s doing. But hey, you didn’t so look what just happened.” Eunhyuk said. His arms were crossed as he walked towards Donghae. “That sounded like a break up from the other room, okay?”

Donghae  shook his head. “Hey, I guess I will need your company more often in the next days.” This made Eunhyuk chuckle.

“Don’t worry. I’d love that, but only when I don’t have trainings.”  Eunhyuk shrugged as they went back training. “Or maybe you can treat me that strawberry milk that humans eat. I want to try them.” And just like that, Donghae finally threw a successful punch to Eunhyuk, which both of them laughed at.


 

Seohyun let Suho inside her apartment. She politely offered him a seat which he gladly took. She hung her jacket by the wall and said, “You know we could have dropped by somewhere to buy food.”

“No, I’m fine.” Suho answered which he backed up with a chuckle. “I think I’m strong enough to last a night here.” He looked around and figured out how come this place looked really empty and boring. It fits a man more than a woman. It’s just lifeless-black walls and white posts. It was boring.

Seohyun leaned on the island by the kitchen that faced the small living room and she crossed her arms. “Come on, Suho. I know what you are.”

“Yes, I am—the messenger or maybe the planner of how the ritual will go tomorrow?” Suho nervously laughed.

“Suho, come on.” Seohyun looked at him and Suho could feel her eyes burning him even if he tried to look away. “You can avoid my questions as much as you want, well go on, I’m not going to ask a single thing about your identity because surprise, I know you’re an—“

“Don’t even say it.” Suho cut her off. “You’re not sure about that, are you?”

“I guess when I realized you did not leave your room when Kris and I talked that night and he did not even care that he was talking about this angel, whatever, thing with you there,” Seohyun breathed in and continued, “I just got an instant hint.” She shrugged.

“I’m still not going to say anything.” Suho shook his head and hid his amusement as to how cautious and smart Seohyun can be. And how stupid he was that time for staying inside his room.

“And just earlier tonight when I almost snapped your neck, I felt it.” Seohyun walked towards the living room without breaking eye contact with Suho. “Blood streams inside your body and you have higher temperature compared to us, vampires.” Suho only his lips because he’s nervous. This wasn’t part of the plan. “Vampires are sensitive we can almost hear, smell, see and feel everything. And yes, I can hear your heart beating just by actually trying to hear it. I can tell you’re strangely nervous right now.”

“I’m still not going to admit it, I’m sorry but this wasn’t part of the plan.” Suho stood up and took his jacket that rested on the arm of his seat. “I think I better give Kris a call.”

Seohyun swiftly blocked the door, “You’re not going anywhere.” This drove Suho insane that he couldn’t control his eyes from shining in aquatic blue. “See? Those eyes! That color! That’s too innocent and light compared to the eye colors of vampires! I saw that too, when I was in your room! You flashed them to Kris!” Seohyun pointed out which drove Suho even more mad and nervous.

Suddenly, the water from the kitchen sink overflowed. Seohyun rushed to stop it.

“I don’t remember turning it on.” Seohyun shook her head as she tried to turn it off and wipe the floor with a rag. Then she heard the shower sounded on. In an instant, she remembered clearly that horrible entrance of EXO inside the coffee shop where she worked in before. It was strange that the same thing kind of happened that day.

Slowly, she faced Suho who was standing there, frozen on her spot. His eyes still gleamed.

“Is this how you admit that you’re an angel?” Seohyun said. “God, you’re not that different from Kris, you’re just as egoistic and as annoying as he is.”

“I was more like bragging my abilities.” Suho smirked and crossed his arms.

“Well, can you please stop wasting water?” Seohyun gave up on drying the marble floor of the kitchen and went to sit on the living room.

 

The dawn was breaking when Suho finished explaining the plan which was literally simple—he would just bring Seohyun to the forest that Kara pointed out to Kris and that Kris will bring the other angels with him, including Lay’s body. Suho just started being awkward at explaining, and dang, Seohyun thought he was so bad at it. He kept on blabbering about so many things like how Kris got to meet Kara, and he goes into every detail, even quoting how Kris told him the plan.

It was exhausting listening to Suho.

“Oh, I think I forgot to mention that we’ll be living before sunrise.” Suho looked at his watch, “News says the sun will rise by 5:34 in the morning so we’d have to leave before that. But depends on what mode of transportation you prefer. We can run or I can fly you there. But I guess running is the safest way to go—“

“So why did you break into Jaejoong’s office?” Seohyun asked in a sudden. It surprised both of them, actually.

“Excuse me?”

“I remember coming to his apartment with papers scattered around his office. And come on, remember I helped you pick up those sheets of paper in your room? They have Jaejoong’s initials all over them.” Seohyun explained.

She was smart and this time, Suho was convinced.

“He baffles me a lot, okay? I mean, he studies about my kind. And it’s weird. You don’t know what those papers mean.” Suho looked away, remember what he just found out behind Jaejoong’s mysterious researches.

“I read some of them.” Seohyun said. “When I saw those papers you took, it puzzled me a little too. So I had to see them for myself.” She looked at the floor and its nothingness before gazing up at Suho across her. “Which reminds me of the first time I entered Jaejoong’s office. I saw a silver feather, assuming I’m right that it belongs to you, I’m considering you flying me to the forest. I want to see—“

“No, we’re just going to run.” Suho stood up as he noticed it was about time to leave.

“Come on, I just want to see how mighty your silver wings are.” Seohyun said with puppy eyes. She looked really innocent this time but Suho’s not going to fall for it. She just really liked seeing those wings.

“No, and it’s final. Come on, we have to start running now.” Suho was about to open the front door but he stopped midway.

“Fine. I’m going to see the rest of EXO’s wings anyway.” Seohyun said which made Suho stop for a while and turn around to face her, who’s still standing on the living room. “What? I told you I read through Jaejoong’s files and everything just matches EXO. There are twelve angels, different eye colors and they possess supernatural powers. If it still confuses you how I came up with this conclusion, it’s either you guys weren’t that good at hiding it—I didn’t miss Sehun playing with the wind the last time, and I realized it wasn’t weird that Chen passed the basketball to me before with electric current or that Chanyeol can lit fire considering how the ball suddenly heats up when it came from him, or come on, Suho, maybe I’m just really watchful. You can believe what makes you sleep at night, and fine, we can run now.” Seohyun said in one breath and walked towards the front door and vanished in an instant, leaving Suho standing astounded inside Seohyun’s apartment.

 

After a quick run, as expected, Seohyun arrived first at the destination. It was a dry land with withered grasses. She stood there in the middle, waiting for Suho who arrived a few minutes after her.

He panted and Seohyun handed him a bottle of cold water.

“I dropped by a convenience store on the way.” Seohyun smirked at her and walked around the empty space. The sky was slowly turning into a lighter shade of blue, though it was still dark.

“So you wanna know the others’ supernatural powers?” Suho said. Seohyun narrowed her eyes at him and he just smiled pleasantly. Seohyun then walked back towards him as they sat on the ground.

 

It took approximately ten minutes until Suho finished telling Seohyun about angels. It was really new to her—the world of angels. It was fascinating and completely mind-blowing, but all in a good way. Just then, Suho received a message, “They’re coming.”

Both of them stood up and brushed their pants.

“Hey,” Suho said which made Seohyun look at him. “I just want to say sorry—I did not particularly like you before but now, I—I see why my brothers grew to like you.”

Seohyun just softly chuckled and muttered, “Oh, I’m not so sure about that.” Pertaining to the other EXO members liking her. That’s when she heard several flapping of wings and from a distance, she could see and identify EXO members, with their wings unfurled behind their backs as they fly to them. Her head instantly looked behind her and watched how magnificent the angels were just by flying.

Her eyes sparkled and Suho just watched her absorb what she was seeing. A genuine smile of astonishment formed in her lips. She then turned to look at Suho, who in turn, unfolded his wings behind her and winked at her before joining his brothers’ side.

It was magical. Seohyun wished that moment could last forever. She wished she wasn’t alone to see how amazing this was. Angels, that moment, became her favorite beings.


 

[A/N: Sorry if I did not warn you that there will be lots of HaeSica moments, especially recently. It will make sense soon. =) ]