Chapter 27: Faint Goodbye

The Heartbreakers

“Can I talk to you for a while?” Seohyun said. Suho gestured for Kris to talk to her, but not inside his room but it was too late for that. Kris already let Seohyun inside. Suho stared at Kris, almost getting mad again on how oblivious Kris was. Papers inside Suho’s room are all about angels and vampires and Kim Jaejoong—he shouldn’t have let Seohyun in.

Kris only realized Suho was giving him the look because his eyes sparkled in blue for a second.

D.O. left and closed the door. Seohyun looked at Suho and stared at him for a while, “Well, it’s my room so if you don’t mind…” Suho sheepishly smiled, “I’ll stay here. Just—pretend I’m not here.”

“I don’t mind. I only need a minute.” Seohyun looked away from Suho who pretended to be sorting some papers from his desk near his bed. His back turned to them so Seohyun didn’t mind his presence. She turned to Kris and said, “Like I told you, I went to Kara. It’s good and bad news.”

“What is it?”

“They finally agreed to it—to cure Lay.” Seohyun said and she could see from the corner of her eyes that Suho almost hitched. She knew then that Suho was listening.

“So what’s the bad news? Do they want anything in return?”

“No, of course not. They’re not that kind of friends. In fact, they’ve been meaning to help me out, to help out Lay.” Seohyun took a deep breath, momentarily forgetting Suho’s presence inside the room as Kris reached to hold her hand.

“What is it?” Kris looked at her, and she couldn’t seem to look away.

“Kris, we need to summon all the other angels out there and bring them during the ritual.” Kris’ hand around hers tightened for a second before dropping to his side. Coldness suddenly surrounded her entire body once again. It was the same time that Suho picked a paper on the floor and straightening himself, almost gulping. And Seohyun noticed that too. Suho was acting strangely, but she didn’t mind. She’s gotten a lot of other things to mind.

“That’s—that’s impossible.” Kris said, scared and confused to reveal the identity of his brothers. Especially after knowing a great threat that comes from Jaejoong, who is familiarly close to Seohyun. “Did—didn’t they tell you any other option?”

“There’s no alternate to this. They’re witches, they know what they’re doing.” Seohyun reached for Kris’ hand this time. “I’d travel the world for this, for Lay. You’ll help me out, right?”

Kris heaved a sigh, “For Lay.”

“Good. Then I’d be meeting you tomorrow. I just need a rest for tonight, but we’ll be in action tomorrow.” She finally dropped Kris’ hand and looked behind Kris. “Suho-shi?”

Suho was startled that he dropped the papers on his hands. “I—I’m sorry. What is it?” He started picking up the papers but Seohyun bent down to help him. “Y-you don’t have to. Come on, is there anything you need to tell?”

Seohyun paused for a moment. The papers that she was picking up for Suho looked like photocopies of Jaejoong’s files inside his office. She didn’t need to know any proof, the particular symbols of his initials printed on every bottom of the pages are enough for her to know that it was Suho who rummaged through Jaejoong’s files in his office before. Instead of relief, Seohyun felt the urge to leave right away. “Nothing, I—I just wanted to say goodbye.” She then quickly left Suho and Kris.

She did not even glance at Chanyeol and D.O. who she almost ran into the hallway. She quickly went downstairs and left EXO’s house.

The moon was shining brightly that night. The stars lingered and twinkled with the dark sky. It was a comforting feeling that surrounded Jessica as she walked along the empty and dark pathway towards the secluded area of SNSD’s house.

“Boo!” Someone said to her ear, almost making her jump but then again, she was too lazy to even react appropriately to the prank. She just looked shocked and sent death glares towards the person who tried to pull the prank. “Really? That’s the most I can get out of that?”

“It’s not like someone will actually try to kill me here, right?” Jessica just rolled her eyes and continued walking.

“I was hoping for something like, ‘I miss you’ or ‘what are you doing here, you’re supposed to be at TVXQ’s office’ but look at you. You’re just walking like a runway model towards your dollhouse.” Donghae caught up with her and walked beside her.

“Donghae,” Jessica stopped and faced him. “We were together last night, and you were sneaking out of TVXQ’s office since last week. Am I still supposed to say and ask that?” She playfully rolled her eyes until both of them burst out laughing.

“Alright, hold on.” Donghae cleared his throat as he tried to stop laughing. “I got this today, and I’m giving it to you.”

“What is it?” Jessica took the envelope from Donghae and opened its seal. “Are you giving me a love letter?”

“Not really.” Donghae anticipated Jessica’s reaction.

“A break-up letter?”

“Come on, it’s something better than those. We’re not even together like that. Just read it.” Donghae smiled a little. Jessica looked at him first before unfolding the letter.

“Mr. Lee Donghae,

After working for weeks in TVXQ Office and after necessary studies of the issue filed to us, we hereby release you from the current punishment. We apologize for any unkind judgement. However, due to indirect untruthful concealment in place of Jessica Jung, all your trainees will still be transferred to other trainers. On the other hand, your position as a trainer will remain. As mature citizens of the town, your only trainer will be Jessica Jung, in place of lingering in the city the night you skipped the meeting with the authorities. From there, you will receive new trainees when time permits.

“We are hoping this will suit you better than being demoted. We hope that you will do well with trainings and missions.

“Best of luck, TVXQ Gods.

“Signed by Shim Changmin and Jung Yunho. Approved by BoA. Noted by Lee Sooman.” Jessica read the letter out loud. And the next thing she said was,”Oh my god!”

“I know, right?” Donghae clasped his hands like a little girl. “Damn, I was going to complain because we both know we don’t want to be stuck with each other forever. You wouldn’t want that, would you? So I came to see you first—“ Next thing he knew was that Jessica jumped into him and wrapped her arms around him, almost squeezing him.

“Are you kidding me? This just made my day!” Jessica said, still hugging Donghae. “Or night. Whatever.”

“Yeah, yeah. I can see that.” Donghae finally lifted his arms and wrapped them around Jessica’s small body. After a minute, “Are we supposed to be hugging right now? I believe my first plan on training you is having you jog around the town tonight.”

Jessica quickly released Donghae and slapped his arm. “You should have complained. Damn it!” She made a face and Donghae only pinched her cheeks. “What the hell are you doing?!” She tried to pry his fingers off her cheeks.

“You should be smiling, okay?” Donghae said as he finally put his hands down. “I’m glad you’re happy as much as I am about this.”

“Of course I am. It’d be really surprising to say this, and for you to hear it. But next to my sisters, I think you’re the most important thing—person, or vampire in my life. I mean, if we get to live forever, I won’t really complain if I’ll be stuck with you.” Jessica said, not taking her eyes off Donghae. For once, Donghae saw how genuine Jessica is. She may be everything weird and imperfect, but deep down, he knew he accepts everything about her. Without any word, Donghae stepped forward and cut the gap between them. Jessica almost stepped back but Donghae was fast enough to snake his arm around her delicate waist.

“God, I’ve been wanting to do this.” Donghae then closed his eyes and kissed Jessica’s forehead. It happened in just a matter of seconds but Jessica felt like eternity just happened. Next thing she knew was Donghae burying his head on the space between her head and shoulders. It took courage before Jessica s her arms around Donghae’s neck and decided to just feel the moment as she rested her head against his firm chest.

It felt really nice for both of them to stay this way. But somehow, someone had to break free so Donghae decided to mumble against Jessica’s skin, “Early jogging tomorrow. I’ll come and fetch you with a sack of cucumber.”

“Damn it, I was planning to sleep all day.” Jessica hissed. Both of them chuckled.


 

 

Jaejoong silently walked to his office in the apartment. Without turning on the main lights, he kept his footsteps light. It was his first time in a week to come home to the back figure he’s seeing now. He just couldn’t help but admire the waves of her hair from behind. Although her body is well-covered with layers of garments, he just knew she’s a wonderful person inside and out.

She’s the only thing that kept him sane all this time.

He’s lost so much in his life as a vampire and she’s the only one he’s hoped he’s gotten all along. Seohyun felt his presence behind her, it seemed that his footsteps weren’t that light at all.

Seohyun put down a piece of paper back to Jaejoong’s desk from which the only desk lamp lighted the entire room. It was faint but enough for her to read what she had to. Her mind’s troubled. She had so many questions. For a while there, she thought that the mission given to her suddenly changed into something bigger without anyone knowing.

The mission was starting to be a burden. She was a strong vampire, heck she was considered to be one of the strongest one, she was summoned and challenged to replace Jaejoong in the TVXQ, but at the moment, she felt weak.

The vampires’ hands are cold, but Jaejoong’s fingers that trailed her hips sent fire to her body. She badly wanted to turn around and face him, fire questions and dig answers from him but she didn’t have the chance to do so. Next thing she knew was his strong porcelain arms wrapped around her torso from behind.

Jaejoong’s nose was filled with her scent. It came stronger to him because of the sensitive senses of vampires. But it was like a drug to him. He liked how she smelled. He loved how her hair brushed though his cheek as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

She wanted to pry his arms off her, but it had been a long day. And like what she thought, she felt weak at the moment.

And strangely, she liked how his arms felt around her body. For a moment there, she felt quite secured. And she wanted to believe and hold on to that thought for a while.

 “I’m sorry.” His voice came out softly like a whisper but it was loud enough for her to hear. It was sincere and again, she wanted to believe it was.

“Took you long enough to say that.” Seohyun replied. She sounded cold, but that’s her usual self, wasn’t it? For the longest time, she had almost forgotten that side of her. Being around Kris, a supernatural being with a beating heart, with blood running through his veins, she had warmed up a little bit. She was so used to it.

“It’s so hard to gain your trust, do you know that?” Jaejoong said in a low and soft voice once again. Regret, guilt, sadness and longing filled his voice but Seohyun ignored all of those.

“Lying isn’t a way to gain trust, don’t you know that?” Seohyun said as she finally had the strength to remove Jaejoong’s arms around her body. It wasn’t that Seohyun was strong enough, Jaejoong just lost the strength to hold on to her upon hearing those words.

Seohyun finally faced him, but she did not expect him to still be this close to her with only a few inches separating them. But it was enough for her to see his eyes.

“I told you I never lie.” Jaejoong said. “You just don’t hear me out, you never do.”

“I do listen to you, Jae.” Seohyun said and for a second there, Jaejoong softened when she called him that way. “But don’t you get it? When you constantly not tell me something, when you constantly keep secrets from me, you start to lie.”

Jaejoong’s mouth opened but he closed them again and bit his lower lip in guilt. He looked down and away from Seohyun for a second before looking at her eyes again, he was lost in them and he was also lost for words.

“I know you told me about the betrothal and looking at you now, having you here with me in this room… I just don’t know who you really are.” Seohyun’s eyes looked as if they were to shed tears. But then again, Jaejoong was wrong. There’s no way Seohyun could be hurt. She’s the strongest vampire, everyone knows that. “I don’t know who you were between that past and now in the present. There are hundreds of years in between, Jae. I’m not sure that keeping your identity in those years as a secret is not lying.”

“Seohyun,” Jaejoong touched her cheek and brushed his thumb through her pale skin. Cold were his fingers but they still left burning sensations through her skin. “You don’t have to know about my past other than the things I tell you.” Jaejoong’s eyes changed in hue, “You don’t have to be burdened by the things you don’t need to know. I hated my past, you’d hate them too. I don’t wnt to lie to you, so I don’t want to tell it.” His eyes shone as gold as newly polished piece of jewelry. It was beautiful, too beautiful that Seohyun couldn’t look away.

Seohyun touched Jaejoong’s hand on her cheek. It took a lot of guts for her eyes to flutter close and slowly, she removed his hand from her face. Her eyes slowly opened, revealing completely golden eyes. There were no more traces of red in them. Jaejoong knew what it meant. “Then I don’t need to stay with you either.” Seohyun dropped Jaejoong’s hand and stepped back. With one last look in his golden eyes as if fighting for domination, Jaejoong’s eyes slowly faded into their normal color while Seohyun’s eyes still remained golden.

She then looked away and without looking back, she left the room and Jaejoong.

Jaejoong fought back the tears that were b in his eyes. It was impossible for him to feel this way. But all the emotions he didn’t want to feel finally kicked back in—the feeling of abandonment.

He could hear Seohyun from her room, packing her things and there he stood frozen in his office. He wanted to stop her but for once in his life, this was his weakest state and he could only stand there to take everything in.

He hasn’t talk to her in weeks but the moment he did, he completely lost her.

 


 

“Tell me that did not mean anything.” Taeyeon’s eyes widened as she watched Donghae walked away from Jessica under the dim light coming from the post in the pathwalk.

“That did not mean anything.” Leeteuk robotically said as he looked the same way as Taeyeon did. “Good enough?” He then looked down at the figure beside him.

“I thought only humans do that.” Taeyeon still couldn’t believe what they just witnessed.

“You know, it’s probably nothing or just part of training. Maybe Donghae was just teaching Jessica how to properly kiss on the forehead.” Leeteuk shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah, I hope so. It’s probably just that.” Taeyeon stepped back and sat again on the large piece of tree trunk.

“Let’s just keep our eyes open. Guarding the borders isn’t a joke.” Leeteuk said as he sat beside Taeyeon. It was dark but then again, the moon shone brightly that night and it was enough for the two to feel safe upon guarding in the dark woods.

After a few dragging minutes, Taeyeon stood up abruptly which startled Leeteuk who also rose to his feet.

“What’s the matter? Is there anyone or anything—“

“I can’t forget about that forehead kiss Donghae gave to Jessica!” Taeyeon was so close to pulling her hair out. “It’s driving me crazy! I mean what the hell was that?! And who the hell does that?!”

“Whoa. Calm down, Taeyeon. We already established the fact that it doesn’t mean anything.” Leeteuk said.

“No, we didn’t! We only assumed because that’s what we want to believe in!” Taeyeon walked all over the place, the fallen leaves rustled against her shoes. “Oh god, I don’t know why it’s bothering me.” She threw her hands, gesturing panic and worry.

Leeteuk stepped closer to her and held her wrists. “Your arms are annoying.” Leeteuk said and Taeyeon just glared at her and pulled back her arms. “Okay, okay.” Leeteuk put up his hands in the air to stop Taeyeon from hitting him. “Why don’t we try it to know and test that that didn’t really mean anything to those two, okay?”

Taeyeon took two deep breaths, “Okay. I think that’d work.”

“Alright, now come here.” Leeteuk held Taeyeon’s shoulders gently and pulled her closer. Taeyeon could feel Leeteuk’s breath close to her face and in a split of seconds, she felt his lips against her forehead. He quickly pulled away and chuckled lightly. “See? Did that make you feel something?”

Taeyeon did not think and just shook her head, “Nothing. You’re right, it meant nothing as much as that kiss Donghae planted on Jessica’s forehead meant nothing.” Taeyeon then proceeded to sit back down on the log.

Leeteuk followed and sat beside her, just like earlier but then Taeyeon quickly stood up and dusted her pants.

“I think I’m gonna go one round, just to check if someone’s trying to, uh, trespass.” She whirled her finger and gestured that she’s going to run around the borders. She did not wait for Leeteuk to say anything and she just disappeared into the darkness, leaving him astounded.

 


 

“Why did I find you again in the park, alone, with your suitcase of clothes?” Kyuhyun asked as he sat beside Seohyun on the bench in the park.

“I decided to move out of my old apartment.” Seohyun answered confidently but Kyuhyun did not buy it. “I just don’t know how to bring back Jaejoong to SM Town, okay? And it’s driving me mad.”

“That’s why I’m here, right? To train you.” Kyuhyun ruffled Seohyun’s hair who only swatted his hand off. “Alright, spill.”

“What?”

“Tell me what you’ve been keeping away from me all this time. I deserve to know because I’m your trainer.” Kyuhyun crossed his arms and faced Seohyun, “Spill.”

Seohyun sighed, “I have nothing to spill, okay? I just thought that maybe I’ll deal with the other mission first, before facing Jaejoong. It might take a while but I don’t think I can do both at the same time. Just buy me some more time from TVXQ gods, okay?”

“And what do I get out of this deal?” Kyuhyun smirked.

“This is a deal? Not a favor?”

“I need something in return to explain this to Yunho-shi and Changmin-shi.” Kyuhyun said firmly.

“Fine. Since I’m the city, I can buy you something like new coat or new video game—“

“You, lady, got yourself a deal.” Kyuhyun stood up as if he won a jackpot prize. “I’ll see you again in a few days to check on you. We got a mock battle coming up soon so I’m having tremendous and exhaustive trainings.”

“You’re going to fight?”

“No, Krystal will.”

Seohyun sighed again, “I can’t believe I’m going to miss her first battle. Send her my regards, please.”

“I will, and what do I get if send her your regards?”

Seohyun threw the nearest thing to her which was her purse to Kyuhyun. “Oh, come on. That one’s a friendly favor!”

“Alright, alright!” Kyuhyun caught the purse swiftly and threw it back to her. “Go get some apartment. You look so homeless and poor right now.” Kyuhyun then started walking away and disappeared with the crowd.

 


 

“No, I’m not having this talk.” Kris paced back and forth in his room as Sehun and Suho entered. Sehun brought him breakfast, but Suho came in for another reason.

“I talked to them in your place. As your co-leader, I think I deserve to have a say on this one.” Suho refused to listen to Kris. “Besides you said it yourself, you told her it’s for Lay. So basically, yes, we’ll do it.”

“Suho-hyung’s right. You guys have to talk about this, right now, because our brother’s in the verge of death in the room next to yours.” Sehun said with his arms crossed.

“I am not going to expose your identities, don’t you get that?!” Kris almost shouted so he paused and took a deep breath before speaking again. “There must be other way to—“

“Oh, is there?” Suho cut him off. “There is no other way, hyung. Seohyun’s smart, and she’s going to find out about us in one way or another.”

“Not to mention her frequent visits here in our house. She’s definitely going to find out soon anyway.” Sehun supported Suho.

Kris sat on the edge of her bed and covered her face. “I just want to protect you guys, what is so hard to understand about that?”

“Then you have to remember to save Lay too. That’s better than protecting us.” Suho said, “We’re still alive, aren’t we?”

Kris did not answer, he just stared on the floor and tried to take in what Suho said. Sehun left his room first and Suho followed. Chanyeol then left the door open and leaned on the door frame.

“You’re scared, aren’t you?” Chanyeol asked. Kris looked at him. It wasn’t a mocking question, it was a question that will surely help Kris to decide. “Well for all that’s worth, I trust you, hyung. Do what you think is right. I’ll support you.”

Kris looked at Chanyeol appreciatively.

“And eat your breakfast before Tao finishes his and look for something more to eat.” Chanyeol smiled at Kris and left him alone to think.

Still deciding whether to listen to Suho and expose all the identities of his brother not just to Seohyun but also to the witches, or to just back out from the plan and look for alternative option with the possibility of Lay dying in the process, Kris knew he had to do something first before anything else. And that’s something final.