Chapter 8: The Encounters

The Heartbreakers

 

Seohyun was walking along the busy street of Hongdae. She was to meet up with Himchan the coffee shop that she heard was so popular. Lovers come by and buy coffee in the said coffee shop. She thought it was really sweet of mortals to go on with the same belief as others. While thinking of it, her stomach curled in the smell of coffee.

She waited for Himchan to call or text her, but it seems as if her palm was already sweating as she was holding her hand phone for thirty minutes and yes, he’s freaking thirty minutes late. Seohyun isn’t the kind of vampire who’s patient enough to wait. But she’s not the kind of heartbreaker to call the guy first. She decided to walk inside the coffee shop. The strong aroma of coffee burned her nose but she managed to breathe normally. She looked around the coffee shop. It was full of couples cuddling each other or holding hands or simply blowing their coffees together and drinking them.

But Himchan wasn’t around.

She checked on her watch and she still has another date waiting on the line. She couldn’t be postponing that one. Himchan isn’t the only guy he’s working on. In five more minutes, she decided to leave the boring coffee shop that so many people liked.

She checked on the note that she was holding where the exact place where her next ‘customer’ was written. The people walking around the street became fewer and fewer until she noticed only three or five were walking along the almost-empty street.

She looked at each of the houses or apartment buildings and glanced up at the posts that tell the name of the street. But she can’t seem to find the exact place at all.

*Damn this Nam Woohyun. What part of earth does he live in?!* Seohyun thought to herself. It was until she came to a dead end. She reached the end of the street and there’s nothing even at the end of the street. She turned around to go back and was surprised to bump someone. She looked up at the guy, he dropped his cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.

Seohyun wasn’t in the mood to play around with random human people when she’s assigned to some missions especially right now that she’s lost. She did not paid attention to the guy and decided to just walk away. But before she could pass by the guy, he held her back by her arm. Seohyun rolled her eyes, immediately pissed off.

No one dares touching her when she’s working. She rolled her eyes and looked at the guy. She crampled the little piece of paper on her other hand and slid it inside her pocket.

“Let go.” She said. But the guy did not even budge. “Some people are just really not learning anything at all. Look,” she sighed holding on to the guy’s hand that was gripping on her arm to shove it off. “You are messing with the wrong girl.” Same words she utters to most of the erted guys who always try to her missions. She decided to shove off the guy’s grip on her. But she couldn’t. “Hey!” She whined as she felt pain when the guy’s grip on her tightened. She could only conclude one thing.

He isn’t human.

“Who are you?!” Seohyun asked him as she stopped struggling. The thing is… he’s extremely strong. Stronger than her. And she only knew one vampire who’s considered stronger than her… “Kim… Jaejoong sunbae-nim…” She muttered under her breath. The guy slowly looked up at her. A beautiful creature has yet entered the lady vampire’s life. She wasn’t sure if he was a threat or was actually an addition to the hue of colors in her winding life. The guy finally let go of her. He smirked and he looked directly at Seohyun’s eyes.

It sparkled purely gold. Indeed, he is the strongest vampire.

Seohyun’s eyes glow golden-red making her the second strongest. Those who are strong usually have metallic glimmer in their eyes. So Kris could be considered strong as well. But his eye color wasn’t gold like vampires’.

 

Instead of feeling threatened, Seohyun felt the urge to fight off with the known strongest vampire before her. Her mind was blown off by how perfect he is. And by what reason must he be back when he left long time ago.

The atmosphere was filled with tension. Seohyun wanted to attack the vampire before her, but she couldn’t because she has to wait for him to move first before she can fully take a hold of the vampire. Plus, she doesn’t personally know this ‘strongest’ vampire. For all she knows, she might be deader than she is as a vampire after this.

Jaejoong looked away first as gave out a sigh. But right after that, he quickly jumped towards Seohyun, it was a relief that she was able to jump farther away from Jaejoong. Seohyun’s eyes automatically glared golden-red at him which surprised him a lot. He couldn’t believe Seohyun’s eyes were actually almost the same color as his except there were a few red shimmer.

Seohyun took this as a chance to grab the surprised vampire by his neck. She tightened her grip on Jaejoong’s neck and easily pushed him until a wall blocked them. “What do you want from me?” Seohyun gritted her teeth. She is not a war freak. But she doesn’t feel easy on Jaejoong. He couldn’t almost move or push Seohyun away. He was lost in his trance when he stared at Seohyun’s incredible shining eyes. He hasn’t seen his eyes as perfect as Seohyun’s. he couldn’t get it if it was a state of shock or he’s actually affected that if this girl improves a little more, her eyes would be completely as gold as his… she could be as strong as he is. What more Soo Man will need from him if there’s a vampire like Seohyun existing?

“Move closer and I’ll rip your heart out.” Jaejoong said between his teeth as Seohyun quickly jumped back away from Jaejoong. He dusted off his jacket and looked at Seohyun who was standing at a certain distance now away from him. “What a way to introduce myself. I’m Kim Jaejoong.” In a second he was standing in front of Seohyun and was offering his hand for a handshake.

“What do you want from me?” Seohyun asked.

“Nice to meet you too, Seo Joo Hyun.” Jaejoong said sarcastically and put his defeated hand down. “I did not come to harm you.”

“But you followed me all the way here.” Seohyun said, her eyes not leaving Jaejoong as if she blinks, the gorgeous vampire will pounce on her once again and maybe this time, really rip her heart out.

“Now you’re accusing me for being a stalker???” Jaejoong’s eyed widened and he laughed to himself. “I am not one of the humans who absentmindedly date you to be broken.”

“Oh, speaking of that. Thank you for interrupting my date.” Seohyun said clenching her fists tightly on her sides. Sometimes, she’s really bad at controlling her temper.

“Wow. You’re really the most polite vampire I have ever met in my entire life. You’re making a good record, Seo Joo Hyun. Way to go.” Jaejoong casually inserted his hands into his pockets.

“If you are not going to say any sensible thing, better go and leave. I am not interested in playing games with you. Now if you must, go and leave me alone.” Seohyun said. She was being cold towards Jaejoong because she was a bit uneasy that he didn’t have any idea that Yunho and Changmin had bets on her to be his replacement in TVXQ. He was gone for a long time and there should be an acceptable reason why he’s back.

“You are one hell of a tough girl.” Jaejoong started being pissed off by Seohyun’s hard expressions. It was so hard to gain this vampire’s trust.

“You are so right.” Seohyun blankly answered in which Jaejoong thought was too cool of her but in a way that he didn’t like. Jaejoong couldn’t hold it anymore so he grabbed Seohyun’s wrist and spun her around with his one arm round her neck. Seohyun almost flinched that her other hand was on her back held by by Jaejoong. “What the hell?!” Seohyun almost choked.

“I was trying to be friendly, agashi. But you are leaving me with no choice.” Jaejoong huskily said to her ear but she quickly and forcefully moved away from Jaejoong. He was honestly being amazed by how strong his grips were on Seohyun but she can still manage to draw herself away from him.

“I’m dead serious. I am not interested in whatever games you are playing right now.” Seohyun said, this time, with lower tone and more sincerity.

“Are you looking for a man named Nam Woohyun?” Jaejoong smirked. Seohyun gulped hearing the name of the guy he was looking for that led her to this street. “He will not show up. He’s already back with his girlfriend.” 

“W-what do you mean? You did not do any harm to the poor creature, did you?” Seohyun asked. “Wait, did you compel him? Oh, holy crap.” Seohyun facepalmed herself. “This day couldn’t get any worse.” Jaejoong pitied the sight of the vampire who’s as dedicated to her work as a heartbreaker. He stepped closer to her, wanting to apologize for being stupid. He honestly wanted to get to know her. Though he hated the fact that she’s almost as strong as him.

But before Jaejoong could reach out his hands to Seohyun, a pair of protective arms pulled Seohyun into an embrace.

After two seconds, when Seohyun opened her eyes. She was surprised to see an angelic face revealed before her hands in which she hid her face in frustration over meeting Jaejoong.

“You are safe now.” Said the guy who looked very familiar.  Seohyun straightened up from sitting. The guy actually sat her in a huge stone.

“A-are you—“

“I’m Lay of Exo.” He sweetly smiled at Seohyun. His dimple on his right cheek caught Seohyun’s attention the most. She thought it was really cute.

“H-how did you—“

“You’re perfectly safe now.” Lay stood up, “You need to be careful around that vampire.” He said as he pulled his plaid polo, “I have to go now for a mission. I’m glad to have saved you.” he smiled again before running towards the woods and disappeared.

Seohyun’s mind started being filled up with so many thoughts. First, Jaejoong and the hell he’s back. And the hell he just dared almost killing her. Befriending her yet being mad at her at the same time. He was a complete definition of pathetic and weird. Second, Nam Woohyun. What the hell is she supposed to do with the poor human? Was her mission completed with Jaejoong’s compelling? She didn’t feel at ease. Third, what the hell was Lay thinking for getting in between her and Jaejoong? For all she knows, Lay might be dead any second right now! Wait, she almost forgot Himchan. What the hell is that guy thinking ditching her?! If he came earlier then she could have met that Nam Woohyun earlier.

But all were thoughts… the poor beastly vampire was stared in the forest alone.

 

Meanwhile…

Jaejoong was astounded when someone appeared and literally vanished in the thin air with Seohyun. He was filled with emotions by the sight of it and his eyes glimmered pure gold. It’s not that he wanted to get to know Seohyun that much, but it is not safe for his presence to be acknowledged by the other vampires from SM Town. If Soo Man knows this, he’ll probably be dead any minute. He was planning to go back to SM Town when he’s ready. Not when he had just completely harassed a female vampire.

He was supposed to leave when someone yanked him down to the ground. He couldn’t recognize his face since his head bumped almost too hard on the ground but he managed to ooze the dizziness after a few seconds.

The guy was hovering on top of him with his hands clenched on his collar.

“Get away from her.” The guy said. He wasn’t mad—his expressions were serious. He’s a talking dead to Jaejoong’s perspective. He blinked a few more times and that’s when he recognized him. He was the same guy Seohyun was with when Jaejoong saw her on the motorcycle.

“Who are you?” Jaejoong asked, not fighting back. “A newcomer to the SM Town?”

“It doesn’t matter.” Kris answered. “I’ve known you from the start… you’ve done so much against me but I’m not sure if you could remember.”

“What the hell—who are you?!” Jaejoong was pissed but he couldn’t shove Kris away on top of him who’s still tightly holding onto his collars.

“Leave Seohyun alone.” Kris furrowed his eyebrows. Just a single ‘yes’ was all he needed.

Jaejoong smirked, “In one condition and I will leave that priggish vampire.” He waited for Kris to answer but it didn’t seem quite that he will receive anything. “Don’t tell Lee Soo Man that I’m back. That me, Kim Jaejoong, is back. Then I will leave Seo Joo Hyun alone.”

Kris nodded, “Fine. I agree.” Kris finally let go of Jaejoong and stood up. Jaejoong struggled standing up as he patted the back of his head that hit hard on the ground.

“What makes you—“

“There’s something I need from her.  And I can’t let you kill her just like that.” Kris said before glaring at Jaejoong and finally disappeared in a blink of an eye.

 

Seohyun stood up from sitting on the big rock that Lay had laid her onto. She was about to leave the familiar forest to try to catch up with Lay and ask questions that bothered her but then Kris blocked her path.

“You don’t have to worry about Lay, he’s perfectly fine.” Kris blankly said. “Stop worrying this time.”

Seohyun tilted her head in confusion. Now Kris added to her list of today’s confusions. Indeed, this day of her forever couldn’t get any weirder. “But—“

“Be careful around Jaejoong.” Kris plainly said before heading towards the east of the woods. He was being so cold and expressionless again. Before Seohyun could say anything to stop him from leaving, her phone beeped.

Kyuhyun-seonsaengnim: Congratulations for the two completed missions for today. Maybe you can rest and prepare for the mock battle? I am a proud mentor!!!

Seohyun’s eyes squirmed. Seohyun finally concluded the answers that was wavering in front of  her right now. First, Himchan’s finished. Second, Nam Woohyun’s finished to deal with too. When she looked up, Kris was already gone.

 

Kris massaged his temple as he went back to the city. He wasn’t expecting to see Kim Jaejoong—the one vampire who killed his parents. Now he remembered the mock battle… maybe he can win it and use the day off to visit his parents’ grave.

 

[BG Music: Exo-K - Into Your World (Angel)]

Lay was walking on the streets after his date. He was walking confidently when something caught his attention from a distant street where no one passes since it’s a dead end. He walked closer and was surprised to see a very familiar female vampire—Seohyun.

Without thinking of anything as he witnesses two vampires fighting and running and jumping and disappearing around, he dialed Kris’ number…

“Lay, I’m in a middle of a date.” Kris answered annoyingly.

“Hyung, Seohyun’s fighting with a male vampire…” Lay said while his eyes were still pinned on the fast-moving vampires.

“W-what? With who? Wait--damn it, why do you have to call me?!” Kris asked.

“He… he looks familiar.” Lay said and added, “Kim Jaejoong... I think he’s Jaejoong.” Kris’ eyes widened upon hearing the vampire’s name.

“Get her away from Jaejoong. I’ll be there. I’ll take care of him after you runaway with Seohyun.” Kris said before hanging up. He quickly turned back to the girl he’s with an apologized for some emergency that he needed to leave.

Lay took the opportunity when Seohyun was covering her face in frustration to get to her and take her away from Jaejoong. Jaejoong didn’t have any notice that Lay was watching them so he wasn’t able to yank Seohyun back.

Seohyun just disappeared with Lay.

 

“Thanks for saving her.” Kris said as he laid beside Lay on the grasses where some of his brothers were playing around like kids tumbling and rolling like children who first settled feet out of the house.

“You actually had the urge to save her. It wasn’t me, it was you.” Lay said as he looked up in the sky. Kris put his head over his hands and looked at the moving clouds.

“I only asked you to so I can meet Jaejoong. It wasn’t about her.”

Lay let out a soft chuckle, “Then, I should be saying ‘welcome’ now.”

Kris looked at him and smirked, “What do you think of her?”

“Beautiful. I mean, all vampires are.” Lay casually answered. Kris looked back up in the sky.

“I never paid attention to how she looks. But even if she’s that strong and willful, she’s beautiful inside.” Kris winked at Lay as he stood up making Lay sat up. His right elbow rested on one of his knees.

Kris put his hands on his hips. “What are they doing?” Lay asked Kris.

“Baekhyun and D.O. are practicing for some theatre play? Maybe a song. Some human dates they are involved in.” Kris answered. Lay stood up in interest as Kai and Sehun started dancing beside Baekhyun, D.O. and Suho who were dancing.

“I’d like to get involved. I think they’re having fun.” Lay patted Kris’ arm and ran towards Sehun and Kai who were dancing to the mellow song. Lay instantly found his place and danced alongside Kai and Sehun.

Kris crossed his arms from the distance. He walked further up on the hill and saw the vast view of the mountains and forests. Such a nice get away for them.

And for him.

He looked back at his brothers who were busy, he looked ahead of him again and his wings spread widely from his back. In two more seconds, he flew across the earth before him where he could show himself as an angel—a winged creature—the real him... He missed this, flying above everything else. Being him, being the angel that he is.