The thing with Rodents

Flawless

 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi, what would you like today?" Asked a young guy with a killer smile. He worked part-time at McDonalds. 
"Ummm...just a sundae please." Said Rainie, Ella's new friend. Ella and Hebe's character didn't clash, considering they are like Yin and Yang. Ella was more of the strong, slower but honest kinds of people, while Rainie was more the kind, sweet and caring type. 
"No thanks." Said Ella, her rough voice coming in total contrast with Rainie's soft and quiet voice. 
There was also one more thing about Rainie. Ella didn't crave her. Why? Even Ella didn't know why. Is there a possibility that Rainie is also one of them? Ella took a side glance at Rainie. So simple and sweet and innocent...was it possible? 
"Alright, it will be a total of $3. 49, thank you very much." Said the guy, his smile still there. 
Ella's gaze was far away as she thought back to her son...he's only 4. His name is Eddie. 
Rainie's scream broke Ella's concentration. 
"What's wrong?" Ella asked frantically. 
"There-there's a rat head in my sundae!!!!!!!" Screamed Rainie, as she gasped and tried to spit back what she had swallowed. 
"That's disgusting." Ella said, patting Rainie on the back. Ella's motherly instincts were coming back. "I want to see your manager."
The guy in front of her bowed silently away. 
A guy in a cute McDonalds hat walked back in from where the other guy left. 
"What is wrong?" He asked kindly. He took one look at the TRYING to barf Rainie and walked towards her. 
"Look, it's okay. We'll get you to the hospital first, then we will discuss what happened, alright?" 
Rainie grew pale and tried to stand upright, but she threw up as she tried to stand up. 
The guy carried a chair over to rainie and set Rainie upon it. Then talked quickly on the phone. The ambulance was there in a matter on seconds. 
"You are the manager, correct?" Asked Ella, her voice furious. 
"Yes, what was the problem?" He said politely. 
"Rainie found a RAT HEAD IN YOUR SUNDAE!" Said Ella, nearly screaming herself. 
The guy's face grew worried as he tried to ask Ella how much of the Sundae did Rainie drink. 
"About a sip, I think," Said Ella, still annoyed. But then she noticed this guy has a killer smile even better than the cashier. 
"We are extremely sorry for this...we will cover all hospital fees and wish the best for your friend. I don't understand how this could've happened, I am so sorry." Said The manager, his KILLER smile had dissapeared. 
Ella took a calm breath. Her ANGER had stopped her craving for him...she felt glands of sweat build up on her forehead as her temper started to slow. 
"What-what if she gets, like, POISONED?" Ella screams, totally forgetting about her first day of school. And that it was ONLY third period. She raced forward with the ambulance and decided not to leave until she knows how Rainie was feeling. 
"We both hope that that is not the case." Said The manager, trying to calm Ella down, he himself was still calm. 
Ella nearly hyperventilated...if that was possible for people of her kind. 
The ambulance came to an arupt stop, shaking the whole car and making both Ella and The manager fall forward. 
The manager got a glimpse of Rainie as she was unconscious...but then, one of Rainie's eyes opened, but she seemed scared. 
"It's Ok." The Manager's voice pronounced softly, Rainie closed her eye and relaxed...she fell back to unconsciousness...but this time-it was sleep. 
The manager's smile was just so comforting. 
Rainie opened her eyes to see a shadow over her bed. This particular shadow had his back to her and was setting up a bunch of pale white roses in a very pretty, clear vase. 
Rainie didn't feel scared. 
"Oh, you're awake." Said the guy happily, a killer smile lighting up his face. Rainie felt herself smiling back, it was almost like a natural instinct. 
"How are you feeling? Better? I am sincerely sorry for the incident that happened earlier. I would tell you the exact truth, but I am certain you would choose to rest now." He said, his formal tone seemed inappropriate for someone that worked as store manager in MCDONALDS. 
"No...umm, I'm fine. Who're you?" Asked Rainie, blinking hard to get the drowsiness out of her eyes. Apparently, she was numbed. 
"Oh, right, I haven't quite introduced myself, I am Calvin Chen, the manager of the McDonalds store you went to. And may I ask your name?" He said kindly, his formality still surprising to Rainie.
"Hmmm...I wonder if 'Formal' can be counted as an accent?" Rainie muttered to herself? 
"Pardon?" Asked Calvin-the manager. 
"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Rainie Yang, I'm 17 this year." Said Rainie, smiling like a little kid.
'Her smile is so innocent...' Thought Calvin. 'It's hardly fair for HER of all people to have to suffer through something like this...'
"It's okay. I'm 18 this year." Replied Calvin calmly, though his thoughts were wandering FAR away. 
"Do you go to C.Y High to? I don't think I've seen you before..." Said Rainie thoughtfully, her shyness kind of forgotten when he was not 2 metres away. 
"No...Umm...I don't go to C.Y High." Said Calvin, his voice still calm. But Rainie didn't miss the way his glowing face darkened. 
"Well, I'll be back later to see you. Rest more often, you need it." He said, smiling again. 
Rainie felt as if her stomach was filled with butterflies...and her heart was at . 
Maybe THIS was what people call "In love." 
Rainie also loved the way he said he'll be back to "See her" not "Check on her." 
Calvin walked out of the room still smiling.

~~

Jiro slapped his own forehead as he got his pop quiz back. 
He had memorized everything in the textbook after only scanning it once. He had an unfair advantage over just about everybody else. 
Jiro didn't even have to look to know that he had gotten perfect. He had known all the answers.
"How'd you do, Jiro? That was a killer quiz..." Jiro's classmate's voice trailed off as Jiro's perfect mark dawned on him. 
"Are you, like, those Genius dudes?" He asked, obviously kind of weirded out. 
"Umm, no-"
"Whatever, I have to go ask him something, be right back." Said Jiro's classmate, cutting into what Jiro was about to say, then leaving aruptly to the other side of the room. And no, he wasn't "Right Back." 
"And how about a round of applause for Jiro Wang!!! He's new and was the only one out of all of you to get perfect!! Applaud! Good job Jiro!" Said the teacher, Mrs. Eraa, head of the Geography department. 
Scattered applause from random students in the class only made Jiro's face glow bright red.
The teacher just HAD to make it worse. 
Then, SHE walked in.

~~~~~~~