Her Memory

Memories to Lies and Love

HA-NEUL POV

The next mourning was the first time I didn't hear my parents fight. When I looked out the window both of their cars were gone. I finally had the chance to acutally make myself breakfast instead of just grabbing something on the go or having to wait till lunch to eat. I also decided to make my brother breakfast as well because he doesn't eat till noon. I couldn't remember the last time I cooked something.

"It's been so long since the last you cooked me this." my brother said as he took a bite out of his pancakes. "You still got it. I wish you could do this more often."

As it it turned 11, I headed to the cafe. Since it was the weekend, I had taken my brother with me so that my auntie could take care of him. Usually I would take off for work right after I dropped off my brother, but only for today, I stayed since I had plans with U-Kwon.

"You're here to see him again. You made plans with him." my cousin said. "Why can't you admit you love him?"

I ignored her question and just sat down. 'Just because I made plans with him doesn't mean I like him' was what I wanted to say but I do like him a little. Admitting it is one thing. Having to actually say it to the person is another.

When it turned 12, I saw U-Kwon come through the doors. I waved goodbye to my family and the two of us left. The weather was nice. Perfect for a nice walk. It then cane to me that I had no idea where U-Kwon was taking me. When I asked him, he laughed and answered, "You'll see." I begged him to just give me a hint but he kept changing the subject. We continued to walk for awhile till suddenly U-Kwon came from behind me and covered my eyes.

"Yah! U-Kwon! Why are you doing this?" I struggled to get his hands away.

"Remember? I wanted this to be a surprise." he said. "But I promise, you'll love it here. Trust me on this."

I had no choice but to stay silent. U-Kwon guided me toward  to where ever we were going. I suddenly heard water flowing. Were we near a river? The ocean? Or am I just hearing things?

U-Kwon then stopped walking. "Ready?" he asked.

"As I'll ever be..." I answered nervously.

He uncovered my eyes and what I saw was so beautiful. There was nearby river that lead to a waterfall. The sun light reflected on the water which showed a rainbow. Flowers were everywhere and butterflies flew by one by one. Was this paradise? I thought I was dreaming for a second but all of this was real. But soon I had an image that made me realize that I've been here before. Still it left me speechless.

"Well? Is this place okay?" U-Kwon asked me.

I gave a smile and said, "It's just fine."

"Cool. Glad you like it here."

"Oh you have no idea..."

"Ha-Neul are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah I'm fine."

"You know you can always tell me what's wrong. I'm here for you." U-Kwon smiled as he winked.

My heart started to beat faster as soon as he did that. I just knew I was blushing. Real bad. But he doesn't seem to notice. U-Kwon's so sweet. I've only known him for a couple days and I have feelings for him. I shouldn't lie to him. Why would anyone want to lie to this boy? His smile says it all. I'm gaining to trust U-Kwon now. I'll tell him everything. No secrets.

"Okay... Maybe there are somethings bothering me." I sighed. "But I don't want to bore you with me talking."

"It's alright. I don't mind. Like I said I'm here for you. I'm all ears."

As we walked along the dirt path, I told U-Kwon everything. I explained why I worked five jobs and mainly that my parents fight and argue everyday. I even mentioned that my brother wanted to be an idol.

"They fight about the littlest things. It's non-stop. I just want to be a family again. I mean I would let my brother follow his dreams but with our parents fighting and all... I can't let him go." I explained. "My parents' first fight was when I was little. It was the wost one. And to even think that this is the place where I went and had cried for hours..."

"You've been here before?" he asked. "Oh I didn't know. I'm sorry. We can go someplace else-"

"A-Anio. This place is fine. It's just that... I remember someone giving me a note. I never found out who it was. But it gave me so much comfort."

A tear came down from my eye. I was going to look down but I felt a hand placed on my cheek. U-Kwon wiped my eyes and gave me a smile which made me forget  what just happened.