networking

let me in [discontinued] READ LAST CHAPTER!
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I can't believe I got separated from the others." Serena mumbled to herself with a soft chuckle.

"I knew Hanyoung was such a distraction."

Serena got distracted with talking to Hanyoung and even asking him about his father's company. He pitched the business well every now and then, but he just needed a distraction from others and wanted to talk with a familiar face. Then an actual person wanted to talk about to Hanyoung about the business and she excused herself. She weaved in and out of the other guests and students all the while searching for her cousins and sister, but didn't see them while searching. She wondered where they had run off, but continued to make her way out of the hall and to other parts of the hotel. Serena found herself in another large room with one of the indoor pools on the lobby floor and was amazed by the nighttime view of it. 

"Wow, this is really pretty."

She moved closer to view the outside better, but avoided being close to the pool itself as she didn't want to fall in and ruined the dress since she wasn't the one that had rented it. Still, being at this formal school function of sorts made her realize that she would rather work in a place in casual wear than formal wear.

"Park Minseo?"

Serena heard her name being said from behind her in a familiar yet questioning tone as she slightly turned her head to see who the person was. She was surprised to see Heeseung standing there that she did a double take as he wore an all black three piece vested double ed suit and not the normal wear he usually wore. Serena just hoped it wasn't obvious because compare to Hanyoung, Serena seemed more surprised of Heeseung all dressed up and found herself feeling some sort of way about it. She shook those thoughts away and plasteredd a small smile on her face while turning the rest of her body to face him properly.

"Uh, hey, Heeseung."

"Hey yourself."

He flashed her with a friendly smile as he gave her a once over.

"You look lovely this evening."

Serena felt shy under his watchful eyes, knowing that Heeseung has never seen her dressed up like this before. Well, for what she knows for that matter.

"Uh, thanks, Heeseung."

She didn't know how to take his compliment and the awkwardness settled in. Serena wished she could be anywhere, but here with him. Serena shot Heeseung with a small smile and with one of her hands, moving in an awkward up and down motion towards of his own attire.

"You look quite handsome yourself." She complimented, meaning every word of it.

"Oh, thank you."

A chuckle escaped his lips as Serena suddenly grew even more shy in front of the male. She however figured it may be due to the event and seeing him and herself in this sort of unfamiliar setting outside of school and just out of their normal circumstances in general.

"So, um, what are you doing here?"

Heeseung chuckled before answering.

"I also signed up for the networking function."

"Oh, yeah true, but um, I mean like here at this spot."

Serena just felt awkward being within Heeseung's presence of all places for this school event.

"Ah, just needed a break from the crowd in the main hall. Yourself?"

"Me, too. I just got done talking with a friend for his parents' business. He needed a distraction and I didn't mind talking with him."

"Oh?"

Heeseung's demeanor slightly shifted, but a polite smile remained on his face.

"A good friend of yours?"

"Um, yeah, I like to think so. So far he hasn't bothered me much like the other boys." She answered with a sheepish laugh.

"Oh? Other boys? There's more?"

Heeseung cast her with a slight amused look, but his eyes remained unreadable for some odd reason. Serena dismissed that as she chuckled nervously, wondering if she had said too much for his liking or something.

"Oh, yeah, there's a lot of them. Grew up with a lot of them, too. Kinda annoying to be honest."

Serena knew she was rambling now and needed to stop.

"Um, anyway, enough about me."

She re-directed the conversation elsewhere and gave him a curious look.

"What about you though? Any of the businesses and people interest you to work with them after graduation?"

"Ah, there's quite a few, but I haven't really decided yet. How about you?"

"Um, not really. I mean, some are interesting, but none of them felt right for some odd reason or other."

She cast him with a puzzled look.

"I'm surprise that I didn't see you around the event at all though."

"Yeah, me too, but then again there were a lot of us going about the whole area."

"Yeah."

The two share a laugh and just as Heeseung opened his mouth to ask a question, Serena got bumped from behind and stumbled into the pool.

"Minseo!"

Heeseung reached out a hand to catch her, but missed the opportunity by a few seconds. His head snapped to the right of him to see who had bumped into Serena to cause her fall into the pool.

"Did you do that on purpose, Yoo Taeha?"

"It was an accident, Heeseung. It's not like I purposely did it." Taeha countered.

"I was just moving so fast when I saw you and didn't see her."

Heeseung sighed, slightly annoyed. He ignored her as he crouched near the edge of the pool while holding out his right arm when Serena resurfaced.

"Over here, Minseo."

Serena glanced over while treading water to stay afloat. Others glanced over at the trio, but remained where they were. Only one hotel staff rushed over to assist with Heeseung informing the man to fetch a couple of towels.

"I'll help you out."

Serena swam over and took his offered hand. Heeseung pulled her closer to the edge of the pool before taking her other hand in his to help get her out of the water.

"What just happened?"

She looked at Heeseung as he slightly motioned with his head towards Taeha once Serena's feet safely steadied itself back onto solid ground. She quitely groaned, wondering how she was going to explain this to Hanyoung and the price it may cost to get this clean properly, too. However, she paid no attention to the other woman, knowing that this was just another jealousy moment on Taeha's end as Serena knew how she was like, having known her since high school as well. Anyway, Serena felt some type of cloth covering her a moment later. She realized it was Heeseung's suit jacket.

"Are you sure?"

Serena eyes widened at the fabric drapped over her. Heeseung smiled warmly before quickly glancing away.

"You're the one that needs it more than me at the moment."

"But I'm sure I could get a towel or something. I really don't need it."

Heeseung continued to avoid eye-contact.

"It's coming, but you definitely needed something right now."

The way his words came out made her questioned why he would say it like that. She glanced down and realized she was in white and the dress now seemed a bit too fitting for her than before. Serena shot him an uneasy, but grateful smile.

"Um, thanks."

"You're welcome."

Taeha didn't like the interactions as she tried to get Heeseung's attention again.

"C'mon, Heeseung. Let's return to the event. There's this one company I think would suit you a lot."

Taeha made to grab Heeseung's arm to pull him away from Serena, but he turned his head and gave her a firm look while shaking off her grip.

"You do realized that there's a slight incident here that needs to be taken care of first, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm sure Park Minseo would be fine without our help."

Taeha looked at Serena.

"Right?"

"I would be fine regardless if I wanted your help or not, Yoo Taeha." Serena responded in a dry tone.

Taeha rolled her eyes, but faced Heeseung again.

"See, she's fine, Heeseung. Let's go."

"Yoo Taeha, I'm not going with you and I'm going to make sure that Minseo is fine."

"But I-"

Taeha instantly stopped talking once she noticed Heeseung's expression. She huffed, released his arm, and rushed off, leaving the pair behind.

"Did you want me to call your male friend or something?" Heeseung asked a moment later.

She eyed him weirdly as she heard the hesitation in his voice when he asked the question, but dismissed it and the situation at hand.

"No, it's okay. I don't want to bother him about what had just occured as it doesn't concern him."

Just then a hotel staff returned with two towels. Heeseung immediately took them and placed one around Serena's shoulder and the other draped over her head.

"Need to make sure you get dry soon."

He flashed her a warm smile and Serena just nodded, suddenly feeling flustered by the overall situation.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

"Oh. I should retur-"

"It's fine. You can return it to me another day."

"Okay."

Serena stayed where she was in hopes that Heeseung would eventually leave her alone and returned to his friends, but didn't. He stayed right beside her and so she glanced at him curiously as his eyes focused on her now than before.

"Hmm?" He hummed with a tilt of his head.

Serena felt the immense urge to ruffled his hair and rubbed his face like she would do to a dog, but she refrained from doing so and slightly backed away instead.

"Um, don't you need to meet up with the others though? I'm sure you can spend your time socializing and networking some more without worrying about me."

"Nah, I really don't mind, Minseo. However, I'm sorry about Taeha though."

"Don't worry about it. She's always been like that and I can handle myself. Thanks though."

"Welcome, but I would rather know you're safe than anything."

"You don't have to. I'm doing fine, Heeseung, so you can leave. It's really not your fault."

She's done enough interacting with him in such a short span of time already and needed to escape now. Serena knew that karma was working it's way around her and she needed to settled the matter without catching some sort of feelings and the likes. However, she had a feeling that Heeseung didn't mind and wondered why all of a sudden they were interacting so much than before.

"Anyway, I'm gonna find the others. It was good seeing you and thanks. Have a good night."

Serena dashed off, leaving a bemused Heeseung behind. Still, a ghost of a smile graced his features as he watched her disappearing from his sight.

"Maybe coming wasn't so bad after all." Heeseung said to no one in particular as he glanced about him and made his way back to the grand hall.

Meanwhile, when all that happened between Serena and Heeseung, the other three had their own interaction with a specific someone.

"I don't know why I keep drinking this when I don't even like it at all." Kierra mumbled to herself with a slight chuckle as she took another sip from her glass as the live orchestra began again.

Kierra was surprised that the school got a live orchestra to play for such an event as she thought it was just people talking business and whatever. Kierra lost sight of her sister and cousins midway through the event as everyone wanted to check out something different from the others. However, they did agree to meet up for dinner within the hour and so here she was, sitting at one of the tables just chilling. Kierra just got done talking with Junyoung about his father's business a while ago, having him be the one where she could use to prove that she went to said event. 

"Care for a dance, Hayoun?"

Her head shot up upon hearing a familiar voice to see Jay standing before her, slightly bowed with his right arm extended towards her.

"What are you doing here?"

Were the words that came out of instead. The corners of Jay's lips quirked up at her words, but he remain calm.

"I'll answer you if you join me for a dance first."

His offered hand still lingered before her and Kierra set her glass down and placed her hand in his. Anyway, she was in a good mood and didn't want to appear rude, but even more so as Jay had no ulterior motive behind this.

"Sure, Jay."

Jay led the two of them to the dance floor as he adjusted their positions. He held Kierra's right hand in his left as he placed her left hand onto his right shoulder while his right hand settled onto the small of her back. Kierra soon felt highly aware of how close all this was between the two of them. She hadn't realized just how much taller he was against her and wondered why she was suddenly thinking of these about Jay. However, she soon realized that she's never dance like this before in her entire life. Of course, this helped distract her from the closeness between her and Jay although she wondered why they even had a dance floor to dance in the first place, but figured it was just an elite thing or whatever. Luckily for

Please log in to read the full chapter