distance

let me in [discontinued] READ LAST CHAPTER!
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Who's that guy with Hayoun?"

"Wait a minute who's that guy with Minseo?"

"Now who are those two with Jiyeon and Youngseo?"

"Why are there so many boys with them?"

"There's like ten of them."

"Could one of them be their boyfriends?!"

On the other side of the hemisphere, Woojoo and Sujin gushed with excitement upon seeing updates on their friends' SNS accounts with their own mobile devices in hand. The female duo along with the seven males were hanging out at Woojoo and Sunoo's home with it being ten in the morning on a Thursday for them, lazying around and watching a random movie. Honestly, it was just the next day since the cousins' departure, but it seemed they were missed quite terribly already.

"Serena, I love you."

The males were surprised to hear a male voice suddenly speaking from Sujin's phone as she had clicked on Serena's account to watch a new story that got posted to her Instagram.

"No you don't, Jeffrey."

The update wasn't from Serena herself, but from a family friend that had taken Serena's phone and posted the clip for fun. The group could more or less understand what was being said in the uploaded clips due to not knowing English fluently save for Jake and Jay and maybe the others, more or less.

"Love you, Serena. C'mon, pay attention to me." Jeffrey whined as Serena shot him an annoyed look.

"I saw you last summer and we played online the other day."

"That's not the same."

Jeffrey hit one of the buttons to change it to the front view camera to film himself instead.

"She's such a jerk, isn't she?"

Serena tried to take back her phone as the phone cut off in mid-recording to block Serena from getting her mobile device back.

"I swear, y'all are so annoying. Nick and Patrick already pushed me and Kierra into the pool earlier and no-"

Soon Kierra's story popped up with a new update as well and Sujin focused on the new clip with Woojoo beside her when another male featured in it.

"Hey, Miss Beautiful, stop hiding your beautiful self from me and the whole wide world." Another male spoke, chuckling.

The seven wondered if it was the same guy as before or another one.

"Be quiet, Nick, and stop being so cringe."

"You know you love it, Kierra, my love. I know you love me the most. C'mon. I thought you loved me the most."

"Yeah, right." Kierra scoffed.

"You always stole Linna's candy while Patrick stole Melanie's and the two of y'all would put the blame on me and Serena instead."

"It's lies." Both Nick and Patrick denied.

"Lies, my ."

The clip ended abruptly when Kierra's face came in to view and the recording stop.

"Did they tell you what their English names were?" Woojoo asked Sujin as the latter shook her head.

'No. I always called them by the names they introduced to us."

"Yeah, me, too."

Neither did the others as the males continued to eavesdrop on the conversation while barely paying attention to the movie. Even Ni-Ki wasn't aware of their other names and just assumed they had only a Korean name. The pair hadn't noticed the seven trying to listen in as they were trying to figure out the stories themselves. They looked at one another while Woojoo looked at Sujin.

"You call them to see what's up."

"Why? They're probably busy."

"No way. If they're stories are being updated, then they're not busy at all."

"Okay, fine. Who should I call?"

"Uh, Youngseo or Jiyeon since they don't have any issues with their phones." Woojoo reasoned.

Sujin ended up FaceTiming Melanie as she was the last one she spoke with compare to Linna with Melanie answering a few seconds later while speaking in Korean.

"Hey, Sujin. What's up?"

The pair could see that it was pretty dark out on Melanie's side.

"Hi. Nothing much. We just wanted to check in on you."

Woojoo appeared in the frame and greeted Melanie.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"So, how was the flight?"

"Very long, but we arrived safely. Sorry about not getting back to you guys. A lot of things happened and just got sidetracked. Anyway, ho-"

Melanie was interrupted when her phone was snatched by someone and he ran off with it.

"Daniel! You better not say anything weird or something."

Melanie's voice could be heard in the distance as she didn't bother giving chase, knowing she wouldn't be able to catch up to him and not feeling like putting in effort to retrieve her phone back either. The pair were shocked, thinking they'll have to converse in English, but Daniel ended up speaking in Korean instead to them.

"Hello. Good afternoon on your side." He spoke formally and politely with the trio while flashing them a small afterwards.

"I'm Chae Daniel and their cousin on their fathers' side."

They kinda blushed and became flustered when they heard him speak.

"Hope she and the other three have been behaving well over there."

The duo nodded, not trusting their voices. Meanwhile, the seven males looked at one another curiously upon hearing this Daniel guy talk.

"If you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious about something. Can you tell me if the four have been dating over there?"

He chuckled before continuing.

"We're just trying to look out for them since they've been living abroad for a while now and don't update much on anything."

Before the two could say something, they suddenly heard Linna's voice speaking in Korean.

"Yah, don't be asking our friends such weird questions like that, Daniel."

"Oops, looks like I got caught."

Linna appeared from behind Daniel as Sujin and Woojoo could spot her behind him.

"I'm just making sure y'all are focusing on your studies and not boys."

"Yeah, right. You and the whole gang don't need to know what we do over there. We already know that the Baek brothers give all of y'all updates about us, anyway. Besides, give me her phone back and stop being nosy."

Daniel laughed while handing Linna the phone.

"Hey, let's go bowling tomorrow." Another cousin, Simon, suggested in the background as the other males agreed.

"I want Serena on my team." 

"I want Kierra on my team."

Two of the friends, James and Luke announced until a friendly argument erupted between the boys about who should be on the same team as Serena and Kierra as well as who the two liked the best and all that. It got serious when mixed languages were thrown around.

"Hey," Linna called for her friends' attention as she focused the video onto herself now.

"We'll call you back later or some other time. Sorry. Buh-bye."

"Buh-bye, Linna friends." Daniel said over her shoulder as he ruffled her hair playfully as she swatted his hand away, annoyed.

"So annoying."

Daniel laughed and left Linna alone as she cast her friends with a small smile and waved as the pair waved before she ended the call.

"I think I have my questions than answers." Woojoo admitted with a laugh as Sujin nodded, thinking the same.

"Yeah, like no for real. However, we need to figure what their English names are first and then who are all those boys."

As for the males back in Seoul, they were quite curious about the whole thing, but four of the seven seemed to be concern the most. They weren't sure about these other guys who were in the quartet's life, even if they had known them less than them, but they had no idea on why they suddenly felt insecure. For the next few days, the cousins didn't have much time to interact with their friends on the other side as they were busy with the Anime Expo. The quartet cosplayed as various characters with some from the same series while others not so much. The overall experience kept them distracted from thoughts of lingering on a particular someone, but every now and then she caught herself thinking of him despite trying to enjoy her summer back home.

"Oh, . I forgot about that."

Linna picked up the envelope that fluttered out of her tote bag after going through it to exchange for another one as they'll be returning to Seoul in a couple of weeks. Her name was written on the front as she stared at it a little longer, wondering why Sunghoon even gave her a letter out of the blue. So many thoughts flew around in her head, but the only way she would find out was to actually open and read it. She sat on her bed, took a few breaths, and steadily opened the letter.

"No way."

Upon reading it, Linna realized where her last letter for Sunghoon had ended up. The day of Sunoo's surprise party, Linna planned on giving Sunghoon her final love letter that night, confessing her feelings. However, the letter was misplaced and Linna could not find it no matter where she looked and had even asked her sister and cousins about it. She assumed Sujin or Woojoo may have taken it to , but no such thing happened. Linna even thought she had left it back home, but knew for sure she had packed it though. Her fear was one of the seven finding it and giving it to Sunghoon, but that didn't happen either. However, it seemed that the letter found itself to the receiver instead.

"I can't believe the letter ended up with him in the end."

It seemed that Sunghoon found the letter with his name on it, lying on the floor when he and the others arrived that late morning to Sunoo's house. She couldn't believe she was so careless about it, especially knowing that he would be there, too. Anyway, Sunghoon kept it, thinking it was something else before reading the contents when he got home after Sunoo's birthday celebration and before Linna actually left back home. He discovered that Linna was the Orchid he's been ever so curious about since receiving the first letter from her. Compare to the others he has received in the past, Linna's letter stood out differently and caught his attention. He just didn't think the feelings were mutual and so Sunghoon decided to respond to Linna's feelings for him by giving her a letter of his own.

". He likes me, too?"

Linna stood up, glanced at the letter, paced back and forth in her room, stopped, stared around her before settling her eyes on Sunghoon's letter.

"For real? Like, can I trust it?"

She ran a hand through her hair before glancing at the wall where Kierra's bedroom was.

"Do I tell her first? Call a meeting to tell her and the others? Do I just keep this to myself?"

She ran a hand through her hair.

"Unless it's a joke and he's laughing with the others back in Seoul about how dumb I am in falling for such a thing."

Linna sighed as folded the letter and threw it on her bed.

"Maybe it's all a dream and Sunghoon doesn't like me back." Linna reasoned.

"Yeah, yeah. That's what's up. Sunghoon doesn't like me at all and my brain is just missing him and creating for me to be delusional. Yeah, that's it."

Linna nodded as she took a few steps around her room, convincing herself otherwise until she bumped into her dresser a second later. Linna hissed from the pain, rubbing her backside as her eyes shifted to the letter onto her bed.

"ing . Sunghoon likes me and knows that I was the one that wrote him the letters under 'Orchid'."

Linna ran a hand through her hair, letting out a few slow breaths.

"What I am supposed to do now?"

Linna didn't have time to process her current situation when her mom knocked on her door. She wanted her daughters to go grocery shopping with their cousins for a barbecue happening in a few days.

"Ooh, what a development." Serena commented with a giggle as she and the other three were dining at Motto Tea Cafe after grocery shopping in the early evening.

"Now it's the female lead's turn to being pursued."

Melanie and Kierra giggled as Linna groaned.

"Stop. Don't make it out to be some k-drama, Serena."

"It's kinda true though."

Melanie had to agree with her sister.

"Like, c'mon. Sunghoon ended up with your last letter in the end, finding out it was you this whole time that's been writing him the love letters back in March. Now he's confessed to liking you, too. So, all that's really left to do is whether or not to make it official and real this time."

"Melanie's right, Linna." Kierra chimed in after taking a bite of her souffle pancake.

"Out of the four of us, only you and Sunghoon have a love connection towards one another."

Linna eyed her sister with a scoff.

"Not even, Kierra. Don't forget that Jay confessed to liking you, too, not that long ago."

"Yeah, but we're not talking about me, Linna. We're talking about you."

"Okay, then let's take a break from Linna, and moved on to Kierra instead." Serena interjecting, switching targets.

"Do you or do you not want a love connection with Jay, Kierra?"

Kierra opened to deny in wanting a love connection with Jay, but nothing came out, and she closed it a second later with a scowl. The other three cocked a brow, intrigued about Kierra's speechlessness.

"So, you do want a love connection with Jay?" Serena probed, knowingly as Kierra shrugged, remaining nonchalant about it.

"And if I do?"

"Then go for it." Serena reasoned.

"Yeah, Kierra, just go for it." Melanie chimed in.

"I mean, you and Jay held hands during Sunoo's birthday that night and the way he hugged you before we left, you didn't mind it at all. You've changed since the start of Spring term compared to now."

"True, but it's not like you weren't the same way with Jake either when he hugged you before we left, too, Melanie." Kierra countered, not wanting the focus to be solely on her any longer.

"I overheard him telling you to return back to him safely."

"Yeah, but he could've said that out of friendliness." Melanie reasoned, brushing off the possible intimate meaning it could hold.

"Who doesn't tell their friends and family to have a safe trip and to come back safely, too, hmm?"

Serena interjected herself into the conversation again.

"Okay, Kierra, we're taking a break on you and now moving onto Melanie."

She gave her sister a playful look.

"Lots of people do and don't say certain things, but Jake is a whole different person that's not just a regular person to you though. He's an exception."

Serena's smiled widened.

"Like, y'all went from simple tutor and tutee, classmates, fake couple, friends, and now are two people that have actual feelings for one another."

Melanie eyed her sister.

"Are you sure you shouldn't be majoring in psychology instead of creative writing, Serena?"

Serena chuckled while taking a sip of her pineapple oolong tea.

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"I wondered why." Kierra remarked with a roll of her eyes in good-nature.

Serena smiled, but continued speaking.

"But anyway, I mean, isn't it good to just talk about all our situationships though? I feel like it would really help us all out."

The other three seemed hesistant in doing so. Serena looked between her sister and cousins for a moment before speaking again.

"Like, I get it. We can all understand that a whole lot happened since winter holiday to now if we think about it. I don't think any of us actually processed the things that occured over time and so never really talked about it to an extent of sort so I think it would be good to do so now that we have the time for it."

The

Please log in to read the full chapter