Chapter 24.1

Can I be her?


 

It's been more than a week after our hangout. I went to hq immediately, I saw Sam with her head slumped down the table. Oh Sam, I don't know what's running on her mind but one thing's for sure, she'll realize it sooner or later.

 

"Why are you here early?" I said, I noticed an energy drink on the table.

 

"I was going to see Alex in her training but..." Ah, I guess Alicia was there earlier. "she's quite occupied."

 

"Oh, that's too bad. Did she saw you?"

 

"No..." she leaned back, "Why are you early?"

 

"I have to review for some tests." She just nodded.

 

She looks gloomy, but as usual she will just deny things I'll say. I know I was the one who pushed Alex to give other people a chance, but I'm not gonna let her get hurt with something unsure.

 

They're both my close friends, and now that Sam wouldn't even consider acknowledging her feelings, I'll save Alex from another heartbreak.

 

I hope I did the right thing. 

 


I glanced at our new girl, she's actually cute. I'm glad she's been hanging out with us now, she's like a little sister I want to protect.

 

I noticed she's been staring a lot to Sam, she's totally crushing on her. Too bad kid, Samantha already has a girl.

 

 

"Are they still bothering you?" Alex glanced at me, "your seniors."

 

"No," she smiled and went back to strumming, "thanks to you."

 

"Don't hesitate to tell us if anything happens again, okay? I'll surely hurt them this time."

 

"Yes, mom." She chuckled.

 

 

Alex have been distancing herself from Sam since she found out about her having a girlfriend, not in a bad way but I think she's just being respectful.

 

I should've told her long time ago, that totally slipped off my mind. 

 

"I like your jeep," I sat beside her, "it suits you, you're a cool kid."

 

"I don't know if that's a compliment when you just called me a kid." I remember the story about her past, about the accident. I'm proud of her overcoming that kind of trauma. 

 

"It is! Silly. What have you been up to?"

 

"Just focusing on academics, here and there."

 

"That's good." We stayed silent for a minute, "We're almost graduating..." 

 

"Yeah, you guys will be busy with the college stuff." 

 

"Don't worry, we'll have time to play with you." 

 

She glared at me, "I'm not a kid! But, I know you will."

 

 

Sam wasn't herself these past few days, is this still about her girlfriend?

 

"Just breakup with her," I rolled my eyes, "you're here studying your off and she's away making your head ache like hell."

 

"I've been actually considering that." She sighed and massages her temples.

 

"Oh, I hope it's real this time. You know, you should've ended it the first time. I didn't even believe the misunderstanding she said."

 

"Me either."

 

"And here you are still stressed about her. She's too inconsiderate, and don't ever say the friendship crap."

 

She laughed bitterly.

 

 

I met up with the gang a few days after Lexi's graduation, it was sad that she's spending her college days in LA. But I know it'll be fine, we'll have a chance to see her again soon.

 

"I miss Alex already!" Danny whined.

 

"Break's almost over, we should've visited her there before going back to campus." Noah said. "Where's Sam anyway?"

 

I glanced at Ethan, he shrugged not knowing the answer too. 

 

 

I felt like crying when I saw Alex entering the hq. She's here! She's back! 

 

"How? I mean, what changed your mind?"

 

"I just felt like you'll cry a lot because I'm gone," she teased me chuckling, "and I thought college would be more fun with you guys."

 

"Definitely!" Danny shouted from the kitchen. I smiled, yeah right, it will be fun with us being complete.

 

 

"Something's going on," Danny said as soon as he seated, "Alex is glowing."

 

"Your face is so funny, what's up with that?" I chuckled.

 

"You knew! Who is it? Is it Alicia?" He said getting excited.

 

"Bingo!" 

 

"I knew they'll be together!"

 

"I don't think they are, yet. But let's hope for the best."

 

"That's a first," I questioningly glanced at him, "you were always hovering Alex when anyone tries to make a move, even Madi who's actually your friend."

 

"I just think Alicia is different, you'll see it in Lexi. In my defense, I didn't stop Madi, she was rejected directly by Lexi." 

 

The real reason why I was kinda guarding Alex from everyone was because of Sam. I knew Alex liked her for so long and I wanted them to be together. But Sam is just.. I don't know, she built walls around herself after getting hurt by her bestfriend. 

 

But I also know that there's a chance with Sam liking her back. I'm not planning on playing with Lexi's life, but if Alicia's the one for her then I'll be the protector guarding their relationship, even if it's my friend.

 

 

"Why are you looking at Sam like you're judging her?" Ethan said.

 

"I'm examining her behavior, she's been doing good. Does she have someone?"

 

"That's what I'm thinking too. It's a good thing right?"

 

"Totally." 

 

Alex got a lot closer with Sam after she came back, or even before. Ethan said the two of them hung out at times.

 

 

Seeing Alex smiling with Alicia makes my heart contented. I looked at them amused and shook my head smiling. I'm glad they're doing fine. I walked away leaving them alone.


 

Alex still like Sam, or is it love? It's been almost 4 years, she's been looking at Sam the same or more deeper if I assume it right. 

 

I don't think anyone knows, or maybe her childhood friends does. I hope she talks to me though, I've been waiting.

 

Is she waiting for a right timing? I hope so. I notices things with Sam too, she's been taking care of Alex a lot but I don't think she knows it's more than what she think it is. 

 

"You've been busy." I said sitting in front of Sam. 

 

"Yeah, too many papers to finish." 

 

"You sure it's just the papers? What's on your mind?" She fell silent for a moment.

 

"Nothing. It's almost your birthday, what's the plan? You didn't celebrate it with us last year." She asked changing the topic.

 

Last year I celebrated my birthday with some relatives in chicago. I didn't do it here since some of my friends weren't available. But now I think everyone will be able to come.

 

"I'm planning another big party, with some drinks of course."

 

"Sounds good," She cleared and slightly glanced behind me, "I'll get going." 

 

I turned around and saw Alex and Alicia walking holding hands. I heard her sigh when she stood up.

 

"Do you wanna hear an I told you so?" She bit her lip and looked away, "Do you want to talk about it?"

 

"It's probably nothing. I'll see you tomorrow." I sighed seeing her walking away, this is what I'm talking about.

 



"What are your thoughts on having a couple within our group?" Ethan suddenly asked me, we're waiting for our friends here in hq.

 

"It's fine by me. Why? Do you know something?" I stared at him intently.

 

"No, but I'm hoping on something." 

 

"There's only two people in our group who's going to be together if that happens." 

 

"I know, and I know we're thinking the same. Alex is pretty obvious but what about Sam? Do you see something? Or did she ever told you anything?"

 

"No, I just know it. Sam changed, she always says that I'm the protective one with Alex but she's the one always checking up on her. She also judgingly stares at people talking to Alex unconsciously."

 

"Oh really? I haven't noticed that." 

 

"Don't tell her that, she'll deny it either way."

 

 

"Looks like the birthday girl won't be drunk in this year's celebration." Ethan said sitting in the bar counter.

 

"Yeah," I glanced at Sam drinking all out, "I'm definitely taking care of our in denial friend later."

 

"I'm kidding, I'll handle her. You should enjoy the night." 

 

"It's fine, I'm going home sober. For a change." We chuckled. 

 

"You sure?" I nodded, looking around for Alex, I haven't seen her yet. She greeted me earlier and told me that she'll be late because Alicia had something to do, business matters.

 

"You know, Alicia talked to me a few times before," I glanced at him, "she likes Lexi genuinely. She used to ask for things about her, what food she likes, what movies she'd watch, it's cute. I never told Sam because I thought she's not affected. But seeing her right now, I'm kinda regretting some things."

 

"I thought of that way too, but then I realized she's not even ready. She denied her feelings for how many times. Alex deserves something sure." 

 

He sighed, "You're right, I'll go around and get some drinks." 

 

"What's up with your bestfriend?" Madi asked sitting beside me a few moments later.

 

"You were in that phase too." 

 

"Hmm, is it the Alex effect?" I nodded, "I thought she has Jules?"

 

"No, never did after their breakup in the past." 

 

"She should've cleared the issue in the first place."

 

"I know right."

 

"When did you arrive?" Ethan suddenly came back.

 

"Just a minute ago, what are you drinking?" Madi took a sip from his glass. I looked at them confused. Okay? Since when did they become this close?

 

"You two are suspicious." Ethan even has his arms stretched on the back rest. 

 

"What are you talking about?" He laughed awkwardly, I was going to question them more but the couple arrived. "You're saved by the vip." 

 

I walked closer to Alex and Ali, they both greeted me with a smile.

 

Alex hugged me longer, "I'm sorry we're late.."

 

"I'll let it slide this time." 

 

"Something's wrong, why are you not drunk?" She teased. I pinched her sides.

 

"I'm trying to calm down for a change!" 

 

"Okay, chill!" She giggled, Alicia excused herself to go to the comfort room.

 

"How are you two?"

 

"We're fine." She smiled.

 

"I'm glad. Don't hesitate to talk to me whenever okay?" 

 

"Of course." 

 

"Not drinking tonight?" I asked her.

 

"Oh I will."

 

"Great! Go on!"

 

"What is she doing?" I clung onto her arms stopping her from going to Sam.

 

"It's okay, she's fine. I'll handle her tonight." I said.

 

"Sam always controls her alcohol."

 

"Let her be, for tonight." She worriedly looked at Sam and just nodded, "Just go and grab a drink!" I said smiling and pushed her gently.

 

"What's running on your mind?" I said sitting beside Sam.

 

"Nothing much."

 

"Doesn't look like nothing much." I see her glancing at Alex and Alicia. "They look so much happy, right?"

 

"Yeah..."

 

"So now you're finally acknowledging your feelings?" She stayed silent. 

 

"Do you hate me for it?"

 

"Yes," she took a sip of her drink, "not for liking our friend, but for not doing anything about it back then." I said.

 

"I'm sorry, I guess you're right. I should've did something..." I stared at her, she chuckled bitterly. "Don't worry, I won't do anything to jeopardize what they have now."

 

"I know you won't. You can drink all you want, just don't make a scene. I'll take care of you later."

 

"I can take care of myself." 

 

 

Few hours later, many of my guests got home already. Drunk or wasted, I don't know.

 

"Take care of yourself my ." I groaned walking towards Sam who is now has her head flopped down the table. But Alex beat me to her.

 

"Hey, come on I'll take you home."She gently wakes up Sam. 

 

"It's okay Lexi, I'll take her with me." I tapped Sam's shoulder, "Hey, come on."

 

She brushed her hands on her face and stood up, she suddenly faced Alex.

 

"You.." I got nervous on what she's going to say, "It's good to see you." She said patting Alex's head.

 

"You too?" Alex smiled confused, I mouthed 'drunk'

 

"Let's go." I pulled Sam with me. 

 

 

"Good morning." Sam greeted me when she went out of the room.

 

"No hangover?" I asked pouring another cup of coffee. She shook her head, "You did something stupid."

 

She sat in front of me, "I didn't, I remember everything I do when drunk." I rolled my eyes on her.

 

"Good for you, you have plans today?"

 

"Yeah, I'll meet my brother."

 

"When will you have time for a talk?"

 

"What talk?" She stood up, "I'll wash up and get going." I just heaved a sigh, maybe never.