Chapter 23.1

Can I be her?


I woke up from the chimes on my phone, probably some birthday greetings.

 

It's past noon already, I got up to take a shower after replying to the messages. I found out about the surprise party later, Jules sent a text to me accidentally. She didn't say it was a party directly but it gave me an idea. I'm wondering if my friends are coming too.

 

I ordered something for lunch and decided to watch some videos for the time being.

 

Nicholas: What are you doing right now?

Me: Eating my lunch?

Nicholas: Okay! I was going to ask you out but nevermind, maybe later? 

 

Okay, maybe they're not going to be there? I'm just gonna bail out early to have our own celebration. Oops, sorry Jules.

 

Me: I'll text you. 

 

Lizzie: What are you up to right now?

Me: Just chillin, what's up?

Lizzie: Nothing, just curious. Gtg!

Lizzie: Oh, you're at home right?

Me: Yeah? You're weird...

 

She didn't reply, are they into this too? And Alex hasn't greeted me yet, is she still sleeping?

 

Minutes later I received a text again from Ethan asking if I'm home and If I already took a shower, now I'm sure my friends are with Jules in this one. They're so unnatural. 

 

I heard someone on my door, when I opened it I smiled internally. I'm glad they made Alex agree to get on board.

 

I fiddled on the watch she gave me. Did she noticed I got mine broken? Typical Alex, always remembering the little things.

 

"Make sure you're seatbelts are tightened." I reminded her.

 

"Yes ma'am! Yours too."


 

She sulked a little after losing but smiled immediately. I shook my head, what a kid. I asked her to make a detour, I didn't want the day with her to end. I don't think we got to bond, just the two of us quite some time.

 

You wouldn't imagine that the cold Alexis loves sunsets and think that it is a romantic view. 

 

"Will you go home after dropping me off?" I asked while she's driving us to the venue. I hope she's not.

 

"Do you want me to stay?"

 

"Stay." I answered promptly. Does I sound hopeful? Yes. Do I care? No.

 

"I was kidding! Of course I'll stay. It's your birthday celebration." She grinned, I beamed a contented smile.

 

I went around for a while to greet some friends from the past. I barely talk to some of them now but it's great seeing them again.

 

"Happy Birthday Sam! It's good to see you again, it's been what? Like 3 years?" Liv a friend of us greeted me.

 

"Yeah, I think so. Thanks for coming."

 

"Oh I'll totally come especially if there's an announcement later."

 

"What do you mean?" I asked, is there something happening after this?

 

"What? Aren't you and Jules getting back together?" 

 

"No, that's not gonna happen." I said clearly.

 

"Really? That's not what I heard.. but nevermind about that. I'll see you later." She said. I'm confused, is Jules saying things again to people?

 

I saw Hailey talking to Alex near the balcony, I took two glasses and went towards them. 

 

I thanked Alex for bearing with this, I know she and Jules doesn't have a really close encounter. I don't think they ever met well, and she's the only one who saw everything that ever happened. 

 

She wants to talk about something later, should I get worried? But no, she looks fine and happy. 

 

We sang together, I'm happy Alex is getting more comfortable showing people her talents. I look like a proud mom staring at her singing ang playing the guitar.

 

The night went on with everyone getting wasted. I didn't drink that much, but maybe I am tipsy. I wanted to end this night sober since Alex wants to talk. 

 

"I hope you're enjoying the party." Jules said when she saw me. She's flushing red, is she drunk?

 

"I am, thanks. Oh, and thank you for inviting my friends too."

 

"I coordinated this with Elizabeth, with a few eye rolls, but still."

 

I'm imagining Lizzie's antics. Must've been amusing, I'm sure she only agreed to do this because of me. Lizzie maybe killing Jules in her head but she knows how to act casual.

 

"You went somewhere before here?" She asked.

 

"Yeah."

 

"Are you two together?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You and Alex, is there something going on with you two?"

 

We stopped and smiled to the people walking at the hallway. I heaved a sigh, the loud music makes my head hurt.

 

"Things like that shouldn't be a business to you, Jules."

 

"Why? I'm just curious." She took a shot of tequila. "So?" 

 

"We're not." 

 

"Then you wouldn't mind right?" She said glancing at my back.

 

"What?" She pulled my nape to kiss me, what the?

 

I pushed her, "ing hell, Jules!" 

 

"Just pretend that didn't happen. I'm sorry." She said, I turned my back on her. "It's the alcohol, really. Please."

 

I saw a figure walking away, is that Ethan? Did he saw us? 

 

Ethan didn't say anything when he saw me at the couch. Good, I don't want to explain something unnecessary.

 

They wanted to have a last toast, I saw Madi with Alex waking back towards us. We should just end this party quickly, Alex looks tired and I'm getting a headache.

 

Jules flashed a smile when she went close to me, right pretend nothing happened. 

 

The ride back home is unusually quiet. 

 

"Are you okay?" I asked Alex while she's driving.

 

"Yeah, just tired." She answered in a monotone. Okay? Should I ask about the thing she wanted to talk about? 

 

I glanced at her, she does looked drained. Okay maybe tomorrow.

 


I didn't get the chance to talk to Alex yesterday she said she's at the dorm. Her team has a game today, I could meet her there.

 

"Is Alex okay?" Noah asked, she wasn't being herself on the court. Lizzie just stared at her with a frown.

 

Few minutes later the coach subbed her out, that's it I'm going down.

 

I stood up but Ethan pulled me by the wrist, "Where are you going?" He asked.

 

"I'll check up on her."

 

"I think she needs some space look at her," I glanced at Alex, "do you think she'll talk to you or any of us in that state?" 

 

He's right, Alex didn't come to see us after the game. I haven't seen her around much either. I only see her with Alicia. Like right now.

 

"Kira, can we talk?" I stared at her hand on Alicia's arm. 

 

Then Madi suddenly called her phone, I sighed just stared at her fading back. Alicia smiled timidly at me and walked away too. Maybe in another day.

 



My phone rang flashing Jules us the caller, it's almost midnight why is she calling at this time..

 

"Hello." I answered, I can hear a loud background, from music and people chattering.

 

"Hi, sorry to call you but you're the last number in the call history. Could you pick up Jules at xx club. She's drunk."

 

I massaged my temple, "Okay, I'll be there in a while. Thanks."

 

I thanked the person who helped me, I think she's Jules' blockmate. I fastened her seatbelt and went to the nearest convenient store, she needs to sober up before going home.

 

"Drink up." I handed her the water, "Why are you even drinking in the middle of a week."

 

"Do you also think I'm not enough?" She asked, slurring her words.

 

"What?"

 

"I do everything my parents want, I got the inheritance they were aiming, I became the favorite granddaughter, I– I don't know.. why does it feel like it wasn't enough?" 

 

"You need to rest," I started the engine and drove again, "Everything will be fine, Jules."

 

 

Alex and her team just won the championship game earlier. She won the best setter award, we're so proud. Lizzie wants to have a celebration with everyone including Alex's other friends.

 

Alex and Ali kept on whispering with each other the whole time.

 

"What's with the frown?" Ethan asked me. 

 

"Nothing."

 

I received a text from Jules asking me if I can accompany her later on a business conference. She said she just need someone to be there for her, I couldn't refuse and texted her to just pick me up since I went here with Ethan.

 

Now they're teasing them that they look good together. I glanced at Alex, maybe they do, they're both pretty. I don't think I ever saw her with anyone, she was just always with us. But I think things are changing now.

 

 

"Thanks for today, Sammy. Wouldn't be able to survive the day without you." She let out a sigh of relief. 

 

"No problem." 



"Do you want to have a dinner? My treat as a thank you for today." 

 

"It's fine, I have plans anyway." Then I said goodbye. Well I don't really have plans, I just want to avoid giving her another misunderstanding with things about us. I am just being here as her friend.

 

 

I went out with Ethan today since it was our free day. He said he was bored and wanted to get some coffee.

 

"Good thing you are available today." He said. We went to a cafe, we sat outside since the weather is good. 

 

"Of course I am, I don't have anything to do."

 

"No date?"

 

"Since when do I go to dates?"

 

"Since you already have a girlfriend again?" He said sulking, "I can't believe you stopped talking to me about things."

 

I frowned, "What the hell are you talking about?"

 

"What do you mean what the hell? You were the one kissing someone in an almost public space."

 

"Oh so you really saw it."

 

"Yes we saw it."

 

I sighed, "You should've talked to me, I would've explained that it was nothing and a misunderstanding. And who's we?" 

 

"Me and Alex." What? Alex saw us? "So you're not really back together? You were always with her after that night." He continued.

 

"Wait, what? Did Alex really saw us that night?" 

 

"Yes, 101% live." He rolled his eyes, "How could you.." he said in a whisper.

 

She was so down after the party, was it because of that? But why? Does she think I'm keeping things from her. 

 

"You know, I think everyone thinks that you and Jules are back together, even our friends. They weren't just asking because it's your business, and I know they don't want to meddle with your life in a bad way."

 

"Did Lizzie say anything about it?"

 

"You know how Lizzie is, she'll let you be. She's just going to make a move if she thinks you're getting hurt again. But I know she thought you're together again too."

 

"Okay.. Just so you know I pushed her away, it was nothing really. I was just... I was being a good friend, that's why I let what happened go."

 

"I know, but you should remember you're limitations. You know how she is, it's obvious that she's still trying to be in your life more than what you're letting her. She could take advantage of your kindness. And people other than you might be hurting too." He said seriously.

 

 

"We're not back together." I said as soon as I entered Lizzie's house.

 

"Okay?" I followed her to the kitchen and sat down too.

 

"I know you were worried about it too, Ethan almost killed me with his glares."

 

"I'm eating my late dinner at 10 pm and you barged in here," I stared at her, "Ugh! I hate you!"

 

I chuckled at her, "I'm sorry." She took two glasses and a juice.

 

"I was getting mad at you for not talking to me about what's actually happening when in fact nothing's happening anyway. It's totally you're fault, you were acting like a couple again."

 

"We're not."

 

"For you maybe, but on our point of view it was different." 

 

"Maybe Ethan was right, I am oblivious." I said leaning back.

 

"You are definitely oblivious, in many ways." 

 

"Why did you woke up just now anyway? I asked.

 

She yawned, "I fell asleep earlier watching a movie, but it's fine Alex might call anytime to pick her up."

 

"Tonight is their celebration party?" She nodded.

 

"Did Alex mention anything about me and Jules?" 

 

"I don't think so, why?"

 

"Nic said she saw us," she looked at me confused, "Jules actually kissed me that night, on my birthday."

 

"What!? How could she! And why do you keep on letting her slide? She always does that, and this time in front of Lexi." She rolled her eyes.

 

"Because I just felt like she needs someone and I'm the only one available for her. But I know it's getting out of hand so I'm working on it."

 

"Working on it means you'll call out on her advances right?"

 

"Yes, so.. did Alex talk to you about anything bothering her?"

 

She took the dishes to the sink, "You know how Alex handles it when somethings happening with her, she doesn't open up to people, she does sometimes maybe rarely." 

 

She's not wrong, I just want to know if I'm doing things that can affect her or hurt her. I don't want that. And now she's been distant. 

 

"Why do you ask?"

 

"I don't know, she's just... Haven't you noticed she's been hanging out with Alicia more than us?"

 

"Are you worried or just jealous?" She grinned teasingly

 

"I'm being serious here," 

 

"Kidding! Or not?" I threw her a pillow, "Okay! Okay, I meant you were jealous of their bonding as friends." 

 

"Yeah," I cleared my throat, "where's your overprotective side? You used to watch on people getting close with Alex." 

 

"She seems fine, stop worrying about it." She shrugged. 

 

How can I not be worried when we rarely even talk or see her around. 

 

"If you're that worried, you can pick her up later if she ever calls. 

 

"Okay."

 


I saw Alex and her teammate talking when I pulled up. She looks sober, that's good. She looks confused when she saw me, I told her Lizzie asked me to pick her up.

 

"Sorry for the bother." She said, why would she think that. She was never a bother to me. 

 

I glanced at her a few times, her eyes are closed. She must be tired. My phone rang, Jules, I ignored it and closed the screen. I have somebody more important to do than talk to her right now. 

 

I wanted to ask Alex about how she's doing, if there's something going on, or if she's fine. But I couldn't talk, my mouth won't stutter a word. 

 

I decided to just play some music to lessen the awkward air. But I think it was a bad decision, she stiffened and a few moments later she silently cried. Why? I knew something's wrong, but what is it?

 

Still, I couldn't ask a question. I wish I could do something. I wish I can see what's making her sad at one glance. I wish I could lessen her pain.

 

 

"I'm sorry." That's the only thing she said when I pulled her into a hug. I remained standing in front of her door for a few minutes, wondering why..

 

Just talk to me Alex. Please..