Chapter 13

Can I be her?

Me: Are you available to pick me up tomorrow? If no it's okay.

Marcus: Are you guilt tripping me?

Marcus: Kidding! Of course I will pick you up. Lian kept on reminding me. I think she'll scold me if I ever forget you. Where and what time is your flight?

Me: Lian loves me more than you. At oakland after lunch. Thanks, Marcus. 

Marcus: Kay! No prob!

 

I'm currently at a cafe inside my Dad's company, my mom wanted to have lunch with all of us before I go back to berkeley tomorrow.

 

Azalea: Hey, I can pick you up at the airport tomorrow.

Me: It's okay, Marcus will. Thanks, Sam.

 

"Hi again Alexis!" I looked up to the person who greeted me.

 

"Hello, Alicia." She sat in front of me. 

 

"You remembered my name." She looks amused. 

 

"Of course, what do you think of me?" I jokingly rolled my eyes at her. It has been almost a week after the year end party.

 

"We only met for a few minutes, I just thought you wouldn't remember. Silly me. Why are you alone here?"

 

"I'm waiting for my family." Then I received a message from my brother. "I gotta go. It's nice to see you again."

 

"Okay! I hope to see you around." She waved at me.

 


 

"Hey! You look good!" Marcus greeted me when I entered his car. But there's something. I intently looked at him.

 

"What is it?" I asked. He looks awkward. "Did you have a fight with your girl?" 

 

"No! Of course not." He started driving. "I found out something..." I waited for him to continue. "I think Jules is transferring to UCB." That's not shocking actually, though I hoped that it would be on MC. I just shrugged. 

 

"Ok." I can feel him glancing at me. I know he's worried about my feelings.


 

I entered a cafe down the road to buy a drink when I saw someone familiar. Is that Sam's girlfriend? She's with someone I saw her once in Kierra's party what was her name again? Holly? Ha–

 

"Hailey!" I heard a guy called her. I looked away because he entered behind me. I hope they won't recognize me.

 

I went to the counter to order. I stayed near so he wouldn't call my name out loud. 

 

I slightly glanced at their direction. The guy is sitting now beside Jules looking at her adoringly. They just shook their hands earlier, I don't think they're close. 

 

"You look good together." I heard that Hailey girl said when I walked towards the exit. What was that?

 



"You're hanging out with us more often than the usual, where's your girl?" Liz asked Sam. We're here at the music room waiting for the boys.

 

"Busy." Sam does not look like she's in the mood so Liz didn't question anymore. I stared at her, she looks tired.

 

In fact I saw Jules again yesterday with Hailey and that guy. I kept on seeing them together, I'm actually lucky that she's not recognizing me, or she just doesn't care. I should tell Sam right?

 

"Hey." I called her when Liz came out of the room. "Jules was actually at Bo's yesterday, with hailey.. and a guy." She looks confused.

 

"Ah. She said she'll be out with friends." I was contemplating if I should also say that they looked too close to be just friends. 

 

I'm parking my car near the cafe then I saw Sam's car. This is actually not along the way home and it's getting dark, what is she doing here? 

 

I was about to go down but I saw Jules getting out of the cafe with the guy. Huh? Hailey is not with them right now. I think they're saying their goodbyes, they hugged and– what the hell? He kissed her on the lips.

 

I saw Sam's car driving away so I followed immediately. She might do something stupid. She stopped at a convenient store near our condo but she didn't get out of her car. 

 

I got out of my car and entered the store. I bought two bottles of beer, we're near home anyway. I stood beside the passenger seat of her car.

 

"What are you doing here?" She asked and unlocked the car door. I sat and handed her the bottle.

 

"You were there." She said.

 

"I always go there, I like their cookies." 

 

"Do they too?" She gripped the bottle.

 

"Yes.. I'm sorry for not telling you. I didn't wanna assume things. I just thought they got close comfortably, Hailey introduced him to her. I slightly overheard." 

 

"It's okay." 

 

After a few days Sam told us that Jules explained that it was just a misunderstanding.

 

I arrived at the private bar for Kiarra's birthday celebration. I can't believe the party is being held on a sunday, and we're going back to classes tomorrow.

 

Lizzie: Are you at the bar already?

Me: Yup.

 

I greeted Kiarra's cousin when I entered the bar. The birthday girl is still busy going around her friends. Madi waved at me to come closer to her. 

 

"I thought you'd come with your friends." She said.

 

"I had to fetch my gift earlier. They will be here in a few." 

 

"Hey there!" Kiarra hugged me.

 

"Happy Birthday!" I greeted and gave her my gift.

 

"Thanks luv. Go drink! Both of you." She slapped our butts. This girl. We both eyed her teasingly when we saw Theo came to her. She just rolled her eyes on us.

 

"They should just start dating each other." Madi stated. 

 

My friends arrived and approached other people. They knew some of them. Madi and I sat at the bar counter, we'll just join them later.

 

"Can I get a margarita?" She ordered at the bartender "How about you?" She asked me.

 

"I'll drink later." I said. Her eyes suddenly widened when she looked behind me. I turned around, okay maybe I need a drink.

 

"I'll get a Negroni" The bartender nodded at me. 

 

"Okay that's why Jules wasn't with her friends earlier. She's with Sam." Madi said. It's bound to happen, Jules gets what she wants. She always does.


 

"We broke up already. We can't do long distance." Sam said to us. 

 

"It's better this way. She was my best friend, it should've stayed as that." She continued. 
 


I took a sip from my glass.

 

"Hey." I looked at Lizzie. "You should sit with us." I glanced at their table. Nah.

 

"Later." I answered. I don't want to interact with Jules.

 

"I know you like my girlfriend. It's kinda obvious." I looked at her reflection on the mirror. I continued washing my hands.

 

"You're drunk." I said. 

 

"You keep on stealing glances at her." Jules annoyingly said. I sighed and dried my hands with a paper towel.

 

"I'm not. I'm just checking on all of my friends." I walked out on her. 

 

 

"Jules will be sitting with her friends." She said like she can read my mind. She squeezed my shoulders before going back to their table.

 

"You can go to your friends." I said to Madi.

 

"It's fine, we're still waiting for the others. I'll go when you're finished." 

 

"I'm thinking of getting another glass though." I looked at the list of drinks.

 

"Go on."

 

More people arrived at the bar, the music got loud and more tower drinks were served. I guess these students are not scared of getting a hangover within classes.

 

I regretted looking around when I saw Sam and Jules too close for my liking, they're whispering with each other. 

 

"Can I get a martini?" I told the bartender.

 

"Jeez, martini after negroni. Are you getting yourself drunk?" Madi asked me. I thanked the bartender when he handed me the drink.

 

"That's a rare occasion." I said pertaining to me getting drunk. "Besides, it's my last day to drink. We're back to training for the semis." I sipped. 

 

"You're going to regret this tomorrow." She said chuckling. I just shrugged. 

 

 

"Whiskey, neat." I ordered on my fourth glass after drinking another Martini. Madi leaned to me.

 

"I get it, you're drinking it off. Rest after that, you're really gonna get a bad headache." She said in my ear because it's still loud. Some students are dancing with the music already. 

 

Everyone cooled down when they changed the song into a calmer one. We saw Kiarra's cousins setting up the stage. I remembered they also had a band.

 

They performed a few songs for Kiarra. 

 

Someone hugged me from the back.

 

"Can you sing for me babe?" Kiarra pleaded me.

 

"Depends on what song." I answered her. She pulled away from me and draped her arms on Madi's shoulders.

 

"Hmmm. How about a Shawn Mendes song?" 

 

"I'll do it if you're sure you will remember it tomorrow." I . 

 

"I'm just tipsy!" I drank my glass in one go.

 

"Kay miss celebrant." I walked towards Cole, her cousin. He adjusted the guitar strap on me. 

 

"Wow, we're performing with the great Alexis." Camila acted amazed. I jokingly slapped her arm.

 

"What song?" Cole asked whe he sat behind the drum set.

 

"A song from her beloved Shawn." I plucked the guitar a little to let them know what song.

 

Cole nodded.

 

I fixed the mic. "Mic check. I'm only doing this because Kiarra threatened me." They laughed at my joke. "Happy Birthday, I'll perform a song from your favorite artist as a bonus gift." She cheered.

 

I can't write one song that's not about you
Can't drink without thinkin' about you
Is it too late to tell you that
Everything means nothing if I can't have you?

 

Everyone cheered

 

I'm in Toronto and I got this view
But I might as well be in a hotel room, yeah
It doesn't matter 'cause I'm so consumed
Spending all my nights reading texts from you

Oh, I'm good at keepin' my distance
I know that you're the feelin' I'm missing
You know that I hate to admit it
But everything means nothin' if I can't have you

 

"Let's go lexi!" I smiled at Lizzie's loud voice

 

Of course I'll choose a song that describes my feelings. Thanks to Kiarra huh.

 

I'm so sorry that my timing's off
But I can't move on if we're still gonna talk
Is it wrong for me to not want half?
I want all of you, all the strings attached

 

I met eyes with Sam but I avoided right away.

 

I'm trying to move on
Forget you, but I hold on
Everything means nothing
Everything means nothing, babe
I'm trying to move on
Forget you, but I hold on
Everything means nothing if I can't have you, no

 

I held the mic with both of my hands.

 

I can't write one song that's not about you
Can't drink without thinkin' about you
Is it too late to tell you that
Everything means nothing if I can't have you?

 

 

 

I helped Lizzie with her hair while she's throwing up outside. I sat and drank with them after I sang, and she's totally wasted.

 

I gave her a bottled water when she sat on the bench. Sam also got outside holding drunk Jules, she went straight to the parking area. Ethan trailed behind.

 

"Hey, I'll take Lizzie home." He said. I followed him, I don't see Sam's car around.

 

"Kira, you can come with me. I left my car on her place." She said referring to Jules who is already sleeping at the passenger seat. That must be her car.

 

"I'll stay here for a while." I said. I'm not going to sit on the same car as Jules.

 

"Noah already left, he reminded us to get you home safe. I can drop you off." Ethan suggested.

 

"It's fine. Danny's still here, I'll go with him. Also, I brought my car." I showed them my keys.

 

"You drank too much, same as Danny. Both of you can't drive." Sam said. 

 

"We'll be fine. I'll sober up and figure it out later. You should both go." I waved and walked to Danny's car, he asked me to get him a change of clothes.

 

I went back inside the bar and the drinking is still ongoing. This will be a long night.