Chapter 12

Can I be her?

It's our last night in the rest house, we're going home tomorrow morning. We all woke up late because we drank so much earlier. 

 

We decided to have a bonfire near the beach. 

 

"No drinks tonight please, I still feel like I'm about to die." Danny groaned.

 

Ethan strummed the guitar. We all sang along with random songs.

 

He then handed me the guitar.

 

"Sing for us lexi." 

 

"What song?"

 

"Anything." I started strumming. 

 

Maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone
Or keep a straight face
And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable distance
And up until now I had sworn to myself
That I'm content with loneliness
Because none of it was ever worth the risk

But you are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

 

They're all smiling genuinely at me. I glanced at Sam for a bit then closed my eyes.

 

I've got a tight grip on reality
But I can't let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream

You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

And I'm on my way to believing

Oh, and I'm on my way to believing

 

They clapped and cheered for me. 

 

"Let's change our vocalist!" Danny said.

 

"Hey!" Liz argued. They started bickering again and we laughed at them.

 


 

We're on the way to airport. Sam offered to drive me. I met her sister, Sadie, earlier. She was sad that I couldn't spend Christmas with them. But she's happy we got to meet again.

 

I also met Marcus' girlfriend, Lian, yesterday. We got along so well we talked about a lot of things. I'm glad she's cool about my friendship with Marcus.

 

"Thanks for getting Sadie a gift. You didn't have to." Sam said.

 

"It's for suddenly canceling my stay, she wanted to hang out." 

 

We arrived at the airport. 

 

"Thanks, Sam. I'll see you next year. Happy Holidays."

 

"Take care! Text me went you land. Tell Kaleb I said Congratulations." I got out and waved at her.

 



More than an hour of flight didn't take long, I just slept. I didn't bring much stuff, just the important things in a body bag and my jacket. 

 

I sent a message to our group chat to let my friends know I landed already. I was supposed to text Sam but I realized it's not appropriate, even if I'm not sure about what's happening with her and Jules. I saw our driver immediately when I got to the waiting area.

 

"Good afternoon miss."

 

"Hello, Alfred. It's good to see you again. Can I go to Kaden first?" He nodded and guided me to the car.



It's getting dark but I wanted to visit him first.

 

In loving memory of

Alexander Kaden Collins

1993 - 2016

 

"Hi, big brother." I placed a flower on his gravestone.

 


"Alex!"

 

We both looked behind. Trina, Kaden's best friend called us.

 

"Not you little Alex." The 5 year old me giggled at her remark. She pinched my cheeks. "You're so cute!"

 

"That means I'm cute too!" Kaden said.

 

"And why is that?" 

 

"She's named after me because we totally looked alike." Kaden pulled me to show her the resemblance. "See?"  Trina just rolled her eyes on him.

 

"You're hiding with the pre schoolers again, the teacher is already looking for you. Let little alexis play with her friends." 

 

"See you later kiddo!" He kissed my head.

 

"Babye~" I waved my tiny hands on him.

 

"I heard Trina got married last month." I said in the air thinking that he's listening.

 

"That night.. you were supposed to tell her how you feel. You even brought me so she wouldn't be angry at you if it goes sideways, because she also treats me like her sister." I chuckled. 

 

"You wanted it to be special.. Confessing to your bestfriend that you've been inlove with for so long on Christmas eve. If we didn't get into an accident, maybe you have your own family now." Trina was like his partner in crime. They knew each other so well.

 

"I guess I got everything from you. My name, my charms maybe, and I think your cowardice too." I joked.

 

"You waited for so long to confess to your bestfriend, and here I am too wasting my chance just because I'm scared."

 

"Sorry on ranting about this Kaden. I miss you. I hope you're happy up there." I stood up.

 

 

Mom greeted me with a hug when I got home. I'm glad they're not busying themselves at this time. Kaleb must've wanted the cycle to end. I know it's hard for him too, he manages the businesses that was supposed to be Kaden's.

 

"How's your ankle?" She asked me.

 

"It's better now. Is Dad also home?" She nodded and clung into my arms.

 

"We're waiting for you, so we can have dinner all together." We walked to the dining area. I saw my Dad and my brother laughing. I smiled, I hope you're seeing this Kaden. Maybe this is a new start for us.

 

 

We finished eating dinner and stayed for the wine.

 

"Let's visit Kaden tomorrow." Dad stated. It's Kaden's death anniversary. I just stared at my glass. Finally.

 

"I'm sorry for not realizing that it's hard for the both of you too. But with Kaleb starting a new journey, I don't want you to carry this burden on your own family. Your big brother is proud of the both of you, always remember that. To fresh start. Congratulations Kaleb!"

 

"To fresh start." My mom smiled fondly at my dad. 

 

 

"What do you think of this?" I'm with Kaleb strolling around looking for a perfect ring.

 

Yesterday we went to Kaden and I saw my parents cry. The last time I saw them was six years ago in his funeral. We still didn't celebrate Christmas, but they planned to meet every year for Kaden.

 

"I like this better than earlier. You know it's still up to you, you know Harper's taste better." I said.

 

"I know, I'm showing you what she would like don't worry. And come on, we're both busy when can we bond again like this?" He placed his arms around my shoulder.

 

He told me that he planned this proposal for months now. But he's buying the ring at the last minute. 

 


After he bought the ring we stayed at a cafe. The proposal is tomorrow.

 

"I'm sorry if it took me a long time to do this." He means our almost shattered family relationship. "I didn't even bother to stop them when they let you live alone in Berkeley."

 

"I decided that, you don't have to be sorry."

 

"I know, but sometimes it felt like we were neglecting you. Mainly because of business."

 

"I'm a big girl now. I totally understand everything, we lost a big company. I know you're just trying to build something for our own. I get to benefit from it anyway. I'm on the positive side don't worry." I chuckled.

 

Maybe at some point I do get sad. But I couldn't do anything about it but to support them.

 

He ruffled my hair. "You're still a baby to me, stop acting matured. Kaden would be smiling smugly right now, you really take after his personality." We both laughed.

 

Kaleb is actually not our real brother, he's our cousin. His real dad is our father's younger brother. His parents died from a plane crash. Dad took him when he's still a baby.

 

Our parents explained it to us when we were young. But that didn't change anything, we still treat each other as real siblings. I remember when dad told us he just smiled and Kaden hugged us both.

 

 

We're at a business party this new year's eve. My brother's proposal went smoothly. I'm happy Harper's family gave blessings and support for the both of them.

 

I'm sitting in front of them while they're getting all lovey dovey. Ugh. 



I saw my mom walking towards us.

 

"We can go home after the fireworks. Your father is just busy talking with some business partners." She said to me. 

 

I heard my phone chimed. 

 

Kiarra: Happy new year babe! :*

Madison: Happy new year lexi! 

Marcus: Happy new year my fav person! Lian also greets you.

I replied to them and teased Marcus that I'm the second fav now.

 

Lizzie's fav humans

Danny: Happy new year gals! 

Ethan: Happy new year!

Liz: Happy new year!!! See you all soon <3

Noah: Happy new year! Drink moderately.

Sam: Happy new year!

Me: Happy new year everyone!

 

 

Dad returned to our table a few minutes later. We all stood up for the countdown. Happy new year! 

 

I saw a familiar man coming up to us. Uncle Vic. He's not a family but I call him uncle because he's close to us.

 

He shook hands with my dad and my brother. My mom is also talking to his wife and I think their daughter.

 

"Hello there little Alex! I haven't seen you in a long time, you're grown up now." 

 

"Hello uncle." 

 

He slightly pulled the girl. "This is my daughter, I think you're the same age. I hope you get along." 


"Hi! I'm Alicia." I took her hand that was reaching out to shake my hand.

 

"Alexis."