Chapter 19.2

Can I be her?


"Don't you think it's weird to be still in contact with your ex?" Ethan said.

 

"We're friends nic, and she needs someone right now. I think she's having problems with things, I don't know." I said and opened the door. I missed hq.

 

"Right, but why is she asking if you're still single? So weird." 

 

"Let her be, it doesn't mean anything to me." 

 

"Hi! What are you talking about now?" Noah entered the room with coffees.

 

"Sam's ex is currently asking if she's still single." Ethan answered.

 

"And he's weirded but jealous about it." I said

 

"Maybe I'm just jealous, my ex don't do that. She just doesn't care about me anymore." he said sulking.

 

"Are you also jealous of my relationship with Jules?"

 

"No! Just her still asking about you." We laughed.

 

"I missed you guys!" We heard Lizzie entering the room followed by Danny and Alex.

 


 

"That was unexpected." Ethan said when everyone got out of the parking.

 

"What is?"

 

"Hailey hitting on Alex. I mean, I don't think they really met personally. How does she even know her?"

 

"Maybe through Kiarra, they might also have mutual friends." 

 

"Lizzie looks so bothered about it. Well it's Hailey, the devil incarnate." He's right. Lizzie has this sisterly protective mode when it comes to Alex. Sometimes I'm curious if it was more than that.

 

 

We're currently watching Alex's game, I heard this is just a friendly competion with the campuses around. They won happily.

 

"Hey Liz, didn't Alex and Madi had a thing before?" I heard Ethan on my left. I glanced at Alex talking to.. Madison? They know each other?

 

"What? Where did you hear that?" 

 

"No one, I just assumed it." He grinned.

 

"Gosh, I thought I get to tease Alex with the new information Ethan!" Danny exclaimed.

 

"Why would you think they dated?" I whispered to him.

 

"Just because." He shrugged. "And they actually does look like a couple sometimes. I see them hang out few times before."

 

Oh really? I didn't know Alex hangs out with anyone other than her close friends. They must be close too.

 

 

Alex went directly to Madison when we entered the venue for Ethan's birthday. 

 

"Are you and Madison close?" I asked Lizzie.

 

"You can say it like that. Why?"

 

"Nothing, just curious." Maybe that's why Lizzie's cool with her being close to Alex. Like I said, she tends to be overprotective.

 

 

I gasped when I saw Alex having the hard time to stand up. Is she injured? 

 

"I'll go down and check on her." Noah went down immediately.

 

"Should we go too?" Lizzie said worried.

 

"No, let's just wait for an update from Noah. We'll just be a hindrance there." Ethan said. 

 

 

I prepared breakfast for Alex, she'll be up in a minute. I also placed her meds in the table.

 

"Good morning." She walked to the table with crutches.

 

"Morning, let's eat." 

 

I reminded her to take her meds before I wash the dishes.

 

"Thank you, I'll take a shower now."

 

"You sure you don't need help?" I worriedly asked.

 

"Why? Wanna help me shower?" She teased, this kid.

 

I glared at her. "Seriously, don't lock the door and call me immediately if you need help." 

 

"Yes ma'am" 

 

 

I helped her going down the car.

 

"Thanks, I'm making sure I'll recover fast. I'll be out of this in no time." She grinned.

 

"You don't have to rush that." I said.

 

"I don't want to take any more of your time." 

 

"I'm not busy Kira, I have all the time in the world. Don't worry about it." 

 

 

"Danny thinks Madison likes Alex, more than friends." Ethan said beside me.

 

"Why so?" I mumbled.

 

"He said Madi looks at alex differently, what do you think?"

 

I glanced at Alex and Madison, they're giggling. It's rare to see her lively with people other than us and her childhood friends.

 

"I think she just cares a lot about Alex. You should just focus on your match, Nic. Stop gossiping about people." I nudged him.

 

"Why? Don't you think they'll make a fine couple?" Alex with someone? I don't think I'll ever imagine that.

 

 

I handed Alex the small box, I bought this yesterday.

 

"Happy Birthday." I greeted. Her eyes shined seeing the necklace.

 

"This is beautiful! Thanks, Azi." 

 

 

Jules: Hey, I'm back..

Me: What do you mean?

Jules: We moved back to Cali. And I'm transferring to ucb. Can you help me?

 

Oh

 

Me: Sure.

 


I walked out the front and called Alex to take some pictures. She looks so cute, like a kid. She said she likes my hair now. I guess I'll keep it this way.

 

 

Ethan dragged me with him while we're walking around the museum. 

 

"Why didn't you tell me that Jules is back?"

 

"What? How'd you know that? I only found out about it like yesterday." 

 

"Really? I saw her, in a conference with her dad, so I guessed she's back for good. Is she?"

 

"Yeah, she's transferring to ucb."

 

"What? Okay, that's not bothersome at all." I looked at him questioningly.

 

"It wouldn't bother you?" He asked.

 

"No? I mean, why? I don't really care." 

 

 

Alex looked bothered the whole day, and now she's even drinking alone at the bar counter. Did she knew about Jules coming back? Is that why she's been out of it. But why would it bother her right? What am I thinking.. Must be about something else.

 

I just kept on watching her from our table after coming back. She's always in control with her liquor so she'll be fine.

 


 

"I missed you..." Jules hugged me.

 

"You have your documents ready?" I asked. She'll be processing her transfer today. 

 

"Yeah, thanks for coming. We can use my car." She still haven't renewed her license for cali yet. So I'll drive for her in the meantime.

 

I gave her a short tour around the campus before parting ways. She wanted to hangout but I refused.

 

 

I parked her car outside the bar for Kiarra's party. I looked around when we sat down, I saw Alex and Madi at the bar counter. Why is she drinking already?

 

Lizzie smiled at Jules when she greeted her, a fake one. She stood up to call Alex. Danny also went to greet some people. 

 

Ethan eyed me when Jules wasn't looking. I mouthed 'sorry' at him. 

 

"I'll be with my friends for a while." Jules whispered to me, I just nodded.

 

I glanced at Alex again, she's drinking another glass. 

 

"Are we missing something?" Lizzie asked drinking.

 

"What?" I said.

 

"With you and your ex. Are we late for the news?"

 

"We're just friends, nothing more."


 

I looked at Alex preparing to sing in the stage, rare occasion but I'm glad she's getting confident. Her voice is so great actually, she's just shy to show it in front of many people.

 

She smiled before she starts to sing. I heard a familiar strum, 'If I can't have you'. 

 

 

I called Alex again, why isn't she answering? I thought she'll go home with Danny. I'm worried something happened, he is out of reach either.

 

Unknown: Hi! It's Madison, just letting you guys know I took Alex home. She's totally wasted. 

 

I breathed deeply, where the hell is Danny?

 

 

"Okay, I'm sorry! I didn't actually know she's supposed to go with me. I was confused when I saw her phone in my car."

 

Lizzie slumped down the table again after scolding Danny. 

 

"Where is she anyway?" Noah asked.

 

"She's with a new girl, I think her new block mate. She said she'll help her around." Danny said.

 

 

"Hey, Samantha. Could you give this to Alex?" Madi handed me a car key.

 

"I drove for her earlier, sorry I couldn't find someone else." She said again.

 

"It's okay, I'll hand this to her." She thanked me and left.

 

 

I waited for Alex outside the court and maybe ask her also to grab some dinner. I haven't seen her the whole day.

 

I stood up when I saw her going out, fresh from shower. I was supposed to tell her that I'm waiting for her when Jules suddenly called me. All I can do was stare at her fading back.

 

"You gotta stop calling me that." I said.

 

"What?" 

 

"Just call me Sam, Jules." 

 

 

I went straight to the court after my class. For the past days, it felt like Alex was avoiding me, us, or I don't know. I just wanted to know if she's fine.

 

I saw the new girl when I entered, I'm still wary of her. She's suddenly in Alex's life and they're that close already. Family friend huh. 

 

I sat on the bench behind Alicia and just took out my sketchbook, I haven't drew for awhile. I looked at Alex and started sketching her, again. 

 

We had dinner out, she said she's fine and just busy. But her eyes says otherwise, she shows a wistful smile. Why? 


 

We were watching a film about first love. First love? Is it that boy I had a crush on? Or some fling I had before Jules? Or maybe it is Jules. 

 

But first love doesn't mean you can't forget that person right? Lizzie had some exes, she does count it as her first love. Alex? I'm curious, did she ever had someone before? 
 

 

 

I was preparing to go out for Alex's game today when Jules called me because of an emergency. Her grandfather was rushed to the hospital. Her parents are not in town and she needed someone to drive her to fremont.

 

'You're not obligated to watch my games, Sam.'

 

Was the last text I received from Alex today, and it felt awful.