Chapter 27.1

Can I be her?


I woke up in a dark room and felt a presence beside me. I think it's Alex. 

 

I should stop drinking this year, I went to the bathroom to wash up. It's still early.

 

I checked up on Lizzie afterwards, she's drunk too as I remember. I went back to the guest room to check if Alex is awake. Poor her, she had to take care of us both. 

 

The sun is almost out, I should probably go home. I sat down in front of her sleeping figure. 

 

"I like you, Kira. A lot, and it hurts that I can’t do anything about it. I’m sorry, I’m a coward." I whispered brushing her hair.

 

I got my things and took a cab, remembering what I did, I don't think I can handle us being together in the same room for a while.

 

I can smell Kira's scent, it's addicting. I don't know what I'm thinking, but I have this urge to hug her. 

 

I pulled her closer, I'm using the alcohol as a reason not to make things weird. Plus, I don't think she knows I'm still awake.

 

 

Lizzie: Did you go home?

Me: Yeah, I had some errands. 
 

 

"There's a busking performance downtown later." Ethan said when he saw me walking.

 

"So?"

 

"We should go. I heard some of our high school seniors will be there." I don't remember knowing any of our seniors back then.

 

"You can go on your own, why are you dragging me along?"

 

"Because it's our free day and it's not like you have something to do to spend it."

 

I know he won't stop bugging me so I agreed, "Fine, but you're buying me coffee."

 

"Deal. I invited the gang too." He spread his hand in front of me.

 

"What?"

 

"Give me your keys, I'll drive for us."

 

I handed him my key, "Where's your car?"

 

"At the shop, I scratched it when I came home from Dan's party." We walked to the parking.

 

"Do we know a senior there?" I asked.

 

"I have a close friend, and I know some of them. Why?"

 

"Nothing, I don't remember any of our high school seniors."

 

He checked his phone, "Danny said to wait for him."

 

 

There are some familiar faces when we arrived at the park. Students from Berkeley, students we used to see in high school even the students from other universities around.

 

"It's not a simple busking like I expected. Food stalls and tables are prepared." Lizzie said.

 

"I'm wondering if there are beers around." Danny said.

 

"Hey, guys and girls." Marcus arrived with his girlfriend, "this feels like high school reunion." 

 

Madi arrived a little while, even Alicia is here.

 

We bought snacks and drinks around. 

 

"Oh, I see someone very familiar." Ethan stood up.

 

"Who?" Lizzie glanced too. "Is that Lexi?" She stood up too. 

 

"Who is she with?" Danny asked. I got curious so I looked at where they were looking. Alex was talking with people or performers to be exact. I didn't know she knew some of our seniors.

 

"Alex knew Nat?" Ethan said, the girl he was pertaining to has her arm on Alex's shoulder and they were laughing.

 

"Holy Natalie Howell!" Marcus suddenly shouted with his hand on his mouth.

 

"You know Nat too?" Ethan turned around. Who the hell is this Natalie person?

 

"Who doesn't?" I don't, "She's Lexi's first love and first kiss." What?

 

"What?" They said in unison.

 

"I thought I was her first kiss." Alicia said, What?

 

"What? You two kissed?" Lizzie exclaimed.

 

"What's with Alex falling for people who steal kisses from her." Marcus laughed.

 

"I should've kissed her too." Madi said, everyone looked at her, "Kidding, it's a joke! I'm so gonna tell Kiarra about this." She fished out her phone.

 

My head hurts with all of these sudden information.

 

"Wait, let's go back again. How? I mean, when did the two of them dated?" Ethan asked.

 

"I think we were 8th grade that time. They lasted until Nat's senior year." Marcus answered.

 

"So they broke up when Natalie graduated?" Noah asked.

 

"As far as I remember, yes." 

 

"I remember now, she's from the council. But Isn't she 2 years older than us?" Danny said.

 

"Yeah." Ethan answered. I remember her too, she ran the council for years.

 

"Everyone know she was dating someone. We saw them a few times. How come we don't recognize Alex? Or is that a different person." I said, I've gotten so curious now. I saw Natalie a few times with her girlfriend back then.

 

"No, Nat dated only one person back in high school. I'm sure of it." Ethan said.

 

"Holy , Lexi loved someone else before.." Lizzie whispered.

 

"Mic test." We heard their vocalist I think. "Thank you all for being here. I know some of you knew us from Berkeley high."

 

"They were from the music club. I remember now." Noah said.

 

"I'm so stupid, this event is sponsored by my dad." Lizzie said, "Of course, this is for Berkeley high."

 

 

Their performance lasted for a while and with a few open mics. Alex waved at us earlier but she didn't go to us.

 

"We should go to a closer table. I want to talk to Nat." Ethan suggested. We all transferred to a table near them.

 

"Lexi" Madi called Alex, she turned around to us. She pulled Natalie's arm to turn her around too.

 

"These are my friends, I'm sure you know some of them." 

 

"Marcus! Long time no see." Marcus greeted her back.

 

"Hey! I was in front of you." Ethan rumbled.

 

"Oh, who are you?" She laughed. "I didn't know you befriended this guy, he was a pain in the ." She said to Alex. 

 

"Elizabeth." Natalie said, of course she recognized the owner of the school.

 

"That's too formal, just call me Lizzie. How come we didn't know you two dated?"

 

"Seriously?" Alex darted her eyes on Marcus.

 

He laughed awkwardly, "Sorry, Lexi. I was too shocked to see Nat back."

 

"What do you mean you didn't know, we were inseparable." She clung her arms on Alex's.

 

"You dated that girl with red ha– wait, you're right. Alex used to have her hair red." Ethan said. Oh, right. She said that to us.

 

"I told you people won't recognize me." Alex said.

 

"Sorry children, I'm just going to borrow Alex one more time. Time for you to sing, luv."

 

Alex went to the center with the band. She's not going to play any instrument.

 

"Hi, name's Alex. I'm just doing this for a good friend of mine." She glanced back and told them what she must be singing. 

 

After she sang one song, Natalie asked for another. Our friends asked her too.

 

"Okay, ah. Then I'll sing about something I want to say out loud."

 

Hey, get out
I've got nothing left to give
And you give me nothing now
Read, my mouth
If you ever want me back
Then your walls need breaking down

'Cause here I am
I'm giving all I can
But all you ever do is mess it up (all you ever do)
Yeah, I'm right here
I'm trying to make it clear
Getting half of you, just ain't enough

 

Our eyes met. Alexis, what are you implying?

 

I'm not going to wait until you're done
Pretending you don't need anyone
I'm standing here

(, )
I'm standing here
(, )



"Now I get it why Alex is really liked by everyone." Madi said.

 

"Shut up, you literally used to like her too." Liz .

 

Oh, I wanna give you everything
I wanna give you everything, oh yeah yeah
I wanna give you everything
I wanna give you everything, oh


Lizzie then glanced at me and shrugged. She mouthed 'your move'. I don't understand. Or I'm just trying not to understand.

 

I'm standing here
(, )
I'm standing
I'm standing here