Chapter 28

Can I be her?


"How did you and Nat really ended up together?" Ethan asked.

 

"You guys have been bothering me about that all weekend." I groaned.

 

"Because you're not telling us the story." Lizzie said.

 

"What's the point?"

 

"I'm genuinely curious, and she kissed your cheek. Are you getting back together?" Ethan said again.

 

I glanced at Sam, she's just staring at me also waiting for the story. Maybe?

 

I saw that weird girl again outside of my class room. Her name is Natalie, we had our introductions back then.

 

"You really won't join the club?" She asked me. 

 

"The volleyball team just accepted me, sorry."

 

"Really? Congratulations! Don't be sorry, I'm still happy you're with an extracurricular activity." She said smiling.

 

"I thought you would be sad."

 

"My top priority here is to make every student join clubs and organizations. Anything that could make the school active."

 

"Are you the president of the council?"

 

"Yes, I am. Why are you staring at me intently?"

 

"Nothing, you do look like one." I started walking again.

 

She followed behind, "I'm hoping that was a compliment. We have an event later, you should come."

 

"I'll try."

 

"I'll see you." I entered my classroom.

 

 

After my classes I went to the gym, I guess it would not hurt to take a peek. 


I sat at the back quietly, I think it's a theater play. I can see Natalie at the sides. She looks pretty when serious. Ugh, what am I even saying. 

 

I glanced back to the stage when she looked around. Someone sat beside me.

 

"I can see you all the way from the front." Natalie whispered.

 

"It's my hair, isn't it?" She nodded chuckling, "I should change it now."

 

"Why? It's beautiful." She turned her whole body to face me, "And it definitely suits you." 

 

"Thanks..."

 

"So you dated her because she likes your hair?" Danny interrupted, "Sorry, you're almost blushing." I glared at him.

 

She continued with her sudden appearance in front of me everywhere. From randomly walking with me to classes to walking with me to the court. She eats with me during break time, she also goes to our games and trainings. She said it's her 'job' as the president of the council. 

 

"You're just pretending on checking up the team aren't you?" I asked her while taking a break.

 

"I'm not!" She laughed nervously, "I told you, this is a part of my job."

 

"Yeah, right."

 

Today she's not following me. I shook my head. Am I expecting her to be around me at all times? Maybe she's busy or maybe she got bored. But still, I unconciously looked around.

 

I constantly checks my phone if she texted. Nothing.

 

After a few days of her no presence, I saw Natalie with her group of friends laughing. I scoffed, she glanced at me so I turned around immediately. 

 

"Alex!" I ignored her and continued walking. I'll just cut classes today, I'm already late anyway. 

 

"Alexis!" She pulled my wrist making me face her, "Hey, where are you going? You have classes"

 

I pulled away my arm, "What is it to you?"

 

"I'm the president?" 

 

"Right." I walked away again.

 

She held my elbow and blocked me. "Come on, what's wrong?" She said in a worried tone.

 

"Nothing." I said.

 

"You're acting cold." I took a step back and looked away.

 

"I know what's happening, you missed me. Do you like me?" She tried joking. "Im sorry, I got sick. Sorry for not texting you."

 

I sighed and glanced at her again, "Why didn't you tell me?" 

 

"I didn't want you to worry,  even though i'm not sure you will." She chuckled.

 

"Of course I would. Are you okay now?" She nodded. "That's good. Can I go now?"

 

"No, stay at my office if you want. You can't go out of the campus in class hours. And you don't go anywhere without your driver, he's not here."

 

"Are you speaking as the president or..?"

 

"I'm speaking as someone who cares a lot about you, so, let's go." She pulled me gently.

 

"You are confusing me, Nat."

 

"What?" 

 

I walked in front of her, "Nothing."

 

"I like you, Lexi." I heaved a sigh of relief.

 

"From then on we dated. Just a normal couple."

 

"What happened after that? Did you kiss?" Lizzie asked.

 

I stood up to go to class, "I'm not going to tell you that kind of details."

 

"Then, why did you break up?" Sam unexpectedly asked.

 

"That.. "

 

"You're going to college soon." I said. We're at her council office fixing her things.

 

"Yeah, I'm planning on going to Ohio State. But it's too far so–"

 

"It's okay, Nat. You always wanted to go there."

 

She stopped at what she's doing, "This would not work doesn't it?"

 

"Yes.. But it does not mean we can't be friends." I said. Nat took care of me for more than a year, she'll always be a special person for me.

 

"We kept in touch after that. We both realized that we were still young and deserves to explore the world, that's why we are still in good terms."

 

"So, like Marcus said, did she really stole your first kiss?" Danny asked.

 

I covered my ears and walked away, "No comment."

 

Wrong. I was the one who stole hers.