Chapter 7

Can I be her?

My team are back to hard training. We had matches for invitationals for the past weeks and we won. 

 

This season was also my first official game since I became the main setter. Our senior setter graduated last year.

 

I sat on the bench on the side of the court to rest. 

 

"Hey." I looked up at Sam. It's almost 6 in the afternoon, she must be going home.

 

"Hi Azi." She sat beside me. 

 

"Are you staying at the dorm tonight? It's friday." We don't have training tomorrow so the team can rest because the game is every sunday.

 

"No, I'll sleep at the condo tonight." 

 

"Okay. Then let's grab dinner and I'll take you home. Go wash up already." We've been doing this for the past week. Her sometimes watching our training, then asking me to eat with her. 

 

Our friends have been busy so it's just the two of us hanging out for awhile. Ethan also have competitions, while Liz, Danny and Noah are busy with finals. I don't even know how Sam have so many free time. Maybe because she finishes tasks early on, she hates cramming. I only meet everyone on mine or Ethan's matches. 

 

"Why are you in a hurry? Do I smell that bad?" I pouted at her and she laughed.

 

"No, it's because I'm hungry already. Go, shoo!" 

 

 

"You have a new car?" I shouted excitedly.

 

"Yeah. Dad bought it as a replacement because my older brother bumped my car on some fire hydrant. Why are your eyes shining? You have the same one." She laughed at me. A 2 door Jeep Wrangler.

 

"I rarely even use it." I said still admiring the car, it looks so y. 

 

"You should've just given me your keys. Let's go." She joked. 

 

 

"It's almost your Birthday, do you have plans?" We are sitting waiting for our food to be served.

 

"No, you know I don't really celebrate. And Liz already planned our getaway trip before holidays. That's already a celebration for me." I answered. 

 

"What do you want to receive then? Anything." I stared at her while she's not looking. Really, anything? 

 

Our food arrived. 

 

"Hmm, then can I go with you?.. to Sacramento." Her family lives there. After our trip she will go home for holidays.

 

"Of course you can! Sadie would be happy to see you." Sadie is her younger sister, I'm just a year older than her.


They know I don't spend it with my family. We.. we lost my other older brother 7 years ago that time. That's why it isn't a special occasion for us. From then my parents and older brother would just busy themselves with work. I was used to spending it with house helpers but I spent the last 3 years with Lizzie and her family.

 

"Okay!" I started eating.

 

"You don't want anything else?" With them, I feel happy. I glanced at her, more than happy.

 

"I'm already good." I answered mouth full. She grabbed a tissue and wiped the side of my lips.

 

"You're so clumsy." She laughed. 

 

 


"Thanks, Azi. I'll see you on sunday?" I don't know if they will watch. But they never miss a game.

 

"Of course. Good night." I got off the elevator. Her unit is a few floors above mine.
 


 

I woke up early today to prepare. We all need to meet up at Uni.

 

Marcus: Hey, Let's go together. I'll fetch you.

Right, they have a game today too. Marcus is also an athlete. He's with the Basketball team.

Me: Okay! Thanks.

 

I fixed my things, he'll be here in a few minutes.

 

"Good morning Alex!" He said as I enter the car. 

 

"You too." I looked at him. There's something.. "You look.. Do you have a girlfriend?" He kinda looks energized and happy.

 

"We're not yet together, but i hope. I met her on our first game, she's a cheerleader from another team. And this... it's not just some fling. I'll introduce her to you next time." I'm so happy for him. 

 

"Okay good." 

 

 

"Good luck on your game!" He shouted when we parted. I just gave him a thumbs up. "Yours too!"

 


"I'm nervous with today's game, our opponent is one of the best team since last season." Dina said. She's sitting beside me on the bus.

 

"I'll always give you the ball later then." I . She just glared at me. 


 

Our team are currently warming up and I saw my friends sat near our side, i waved at them.

 

The referee blew his whistle to announce that the game was about to start. First serve from us, I set all around my spikers to confuse the opponent. I smile whenever I set to Dina, she was just nervous earlier but she's playing with confidence.

 

First set on us, we should continue this momentum. The game is close, I set to Kyla, blocked.

 

"It's okay!" We patted her back. 2nd set on them.

 

We sat on the bench listening to coach before the 3rd set.

 

"Keep giving the ball to your back hitters for now." Coach said to me.

 

"Copy coach!" The referee blew the whistle.

 

The game is going smoothly. "Mine!" Our libero, Mia dived in front. I ran to set the ball but i kinda slipped because of the wet floor, luckily Dina still spiked forcefully.

 

"You okay?" Mia asked, I nodded. It hurts but it's bearable. We continued the play, still a close match. I kept on landing with my right ankle first. Crap.

 

3rd set ours. I slightly held my ankle, one more set. I looked over my friends, I saw Sam mouthing 'Are you okay?' I nodded smiling and gave a thumbs up. 

 

"Come on girls! One more, we can win this." Coach cheered on us. "Rest for awhile Alex, sub for now Polly, play alternating with your spikers, then a running or fast attack with Reign." Reign is our middle blocker.

 

"Okay coach!" I rest on the bench. 19-22 Coach called me again to sub in. I signalled a back attack, score. Deuce, set on Dina, blocked. 24-25 free ball on them, we tried to block but no luck.

 

We're going 5th set. I think this is the longest match we had this season. We all sat on the bench feeling tired. 

 

Cap huddled us in the middle. "Last set guys, let's go and win this!" 

 

I kept on wincing every jump, hell, this will hurt later. 

 

14-15, I jumped and set the ball to Kyla. I landed bad, . She scored, 15-15. I am on my knees holding my ankle, I couldn't stand. Cap ran to me.

 

"What happened?" I closed my eyes. So close! I was enduring it. 

 

Coach went to me "Can you stand?" I tried to stand with the help of other coaches. We walked to the bench. I put an okay sign to my team to let them know that I'm fine.

 

 "Sorry coach." 

 

"You did great. Go to the hospital, please. Just to make sure there's no injury." I nodded. I hope they win.

 

Medical staff brought a wheelchair for me. I saw Noah at the exit.

 

"Hey, is it bad? I'm going with you." 

 

"No, I don't think so. Please tell the others I'm fine." I don't want them to worry. He nodded. I changed first before going to the hospital.

 

"I'll convoy" i just nodded at him.

 

 

Hospital, again.