Chapter 25

Can I be her?


I went out of my car to wait for my brother. I came to pick him up and his fiancé from the airport. They have a business here for some time.

 

"There's my favorite sister!" 

 

"I'm your only sister!" I hugged him, "It's good to see you again, Harper." I hugged her too.

 

"I think you grew taller, kid." She said chuckling.

 

"Too much exercise I suppose, you don't have classes this time?" My brother said.

 

"I don't. We should go already."

 

"Are you sure you're letting us stay in your place? We could just book a hotel." Harper asked me, I started the engine.

 

"Yeah, of course. You can also use this car for a while."

 

"Appreciate it, kid. Where will you stay?"

 

"I'll stay at Lizzie's." He just nodded.

 

 

"Here's the key card for the door and the car's key. You should rest first, I'll be heading to campus."

 

"Drive safely. Sorry we can't do dinner later, business party. Breakfast tomorrow maybe?" I nodded and went out.

 

I unlocked my jeep to put my things, I missed this car. Few weeks have been quite interesting. I drove back to campus.

 

"Alex!" By interesting, I meant getting myself into a situation.

 

"Hey," I smiled at Ali, "done for the morning class?"

 

"Yeah, lunch?"

 

"Sure." 

 

We entered the campus' café.

 

"You're brother settled in?"

 

"Yeah, with his fiancé."

 

"Where will you stay then?"

 

"With Lizzie." She nodded. 

 

"Samantha also lives in the same building right? You didn't ask her?"

 

"Yeah, I.. I didn't wanna bother her, and besides, I used to spend my holidays with Lizzie so it's no big deal."

 

We rarely interact these past few weeks, Sam and I. The last time I saw her was at Lizzie's party last week, and she was drunk that night. 

 

I heard she's keeping herself busy, I hope she's doing fine.

 

"You're spacing out." She said chuckling.

 

"Sorry.." I mumbled.

 

"There's an interesting gossip, It's been going around."

 

"What is it?" I asked cleaning up the table.

 

"I heard danny got into an argument with one of Jules' squad," I pulled out my laptop waiting for her to go on, "it's about Sam."

 

I cleared my throat, "How did Danny ended up there?"

 

"My friend said Jules' friend kept on telling people that Sam made Jules look stupid and broke up with her again. Then Dan walked past them right on time, this actually happened the other day. I didn't get the full details."

 

"Was Sam there?"

 

"Yeah, I think so."

 

"I've been out of the loop, I should meet them later, thanks."

 

"You have training later? For the pre-season games." Right it's happening soon already.

 

"No, I think we'll start in the following days. I got to go, I'll see you tomorrow."

 

"Okay, don't skip dinner."

 

I don't remember them talking about that in our group chat, especially from Lizzie. I don't think they know. Maybe Sam didn't tell her, because knowing Liz, she'll declare war.

 

I went straight to hq after my classes, I can totally hear Lizzie from outside.

 

"I'm so gonna kill your ex!" I laughed internally, there it is. Keep in mind that this is a music room which means it's sound proofed.  "I mean, you two never even got back together in the first place, what is she whining about?"

 

My hand stopped at the doorknob, they never got back together? What about that night? I'm confused, I should probably go for now.

 

 

"You're gonna break your pen, what's with the morning frown?" Ethan sat in front of me, I leaned back.

 

"Nothing." We fell silent, he stared at me not believing what I just said. "Yesterday... I heard you guys at hq. I mean someone could've told me, you know, about them."

 

"Not my call lexi, I'm not in the right position to do that."

 

"Yeah, you're right. Sorry.."

 

"So, what's with the bothered face? Does this affect your relationship with your girlfriend?"

 

"We're not together."

 

"What do you mean you're not together? It's been almost three months." His turn to frown.

 

"We're.. It's complicated." I sighed.

 

2 months. That's how long this thing have been going, and I don't even know what to call it. Because from what I remember, I actually rejected her.

 

I cleared my mind for a few days, thinking about what happened and what Lizzie said. But I realized and I know that I really can't give Ali what she wants.

 

Me: Let's meet at Bo's.

Alicia: Okay, give me 10.

 

"I'm sorry, Ali."

 

"Don't," she chuckled, "you don't have to date me officially Alex. Just let me do things for you."

 

"I can't, I don't wanna hurt you.."

 

"You won't. I'm choosing this path, I just want you to let me. Please?" 

 

How can I refuse when she looks persistent. But what can I do with this..

 

 

I drank from my water bottle, what a tiring morning.

 

"Good morning!" Ali placed a towel on my head.

 

"How did you know where I am?" 

 

She chuckled, "Just know where the athletes go."

 

"I don't even have a training, just working out." 

 

"I know, it's your favorite place." 

 

I pushed her gently, "It's not!"

 

 

"Seriously! I'm not going to stay up late ever again." I laughed at her, she got caught dozing off earlier.

 

"You should've seen Mrs. Cooper's face, she was raging mad that many of the students fell asleep."

 

"Not my fault! Her discussion sounded like a lullaby. Ugh, I hate history classes."


 

"I got two tickets for a game." 

 

"What game?"

 

"Soft ball! Come on! You're going to enjoy it, I promise." She held my hand and pulled me, I shook my head, what a kid.

 

"Sorry for holding your hand."

 

"It's okay.. So, what time will the game start?"

 

"4pm. My cousin actually plays for the falcons, that's how I got the tickets."

 

"Really? That's cool."

 

 

"Why do I always get in between these types of situation? You and Sam should just date each other."

 

I threw a crumpled paper at him, "You're crazy."

 

"What? You're both complicated."

 

"Ali and I haven't even seriously talked about it. And now I'm.. I'm confused again, I feel so bad."

 

"You're such a red flag," he jokingly said, "There's a festival happening in a few weeks, I got a schedule for us to perform."

 

"And?" Oh, oh..

 

"Yeah, you'll be spending the upcoming days with Sam, closely." I sighed, good luck I guess.