Chapter 26.1

Can I be her?


I woke up with a headache and continues ringing of my phone. What the hell?

 

"Hello?" I answered with a hoarsed voice.

 

"It's three in the afternoon, where are you?" I can see Ethan's grumpy face.

 

"At home?"

 

"What do you mean at home? You just missed your classes. You're lucky the tests have been moved."

 

"Thank the god of luck, I guess."

 

"Did you drink last night?"

 

"No, I just overslept. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

I did, I tried to clear my mind after what I felt last week. What a great way of clearing mind right? Drinking it out. But holy crap, I am still confused.

 

I was thinking of talking to someone about it, but what if I was just mistaken? It would cause a confusion for everyone. I wouldn't want Alex to hear something irrelevant.

 

Maybe if I try to hangout with her more I'll realize it was just a friendly jealousy. Right. 

 

 

I woke up earlier than usual, I dont know if Alex has training today but I know she'll be at campus this time. To my luck I saw her team mate walking.

 

"Hi, Dina."

 

"Hello!"

 

"Do you guys have training today?"

 

"No, but I think some of the girls are working out at the gym."

 

"Okay, thanks." She walked to the other side, maybe she won't go to the gym. I hope Alex would be there.

 

Of course, Ali would beat me here. I stared at the bottle in my hand and sighed. 

 


It went continuously like that, I never got the chance to talk or hang out with her. They were so inseparable.

 

The most frustrating thing is that I always see them together, laughing and clinging with one another. Why am I even frustrated?

 

Lizzie notices my change of moods, she knows me to well. I see her glances on me everytime she spots Alex and Ali together. Ethan wouldn't say anything, but I know he's aware too. 

 

Are they really dating? She never confirmed it to us, or maybe she did with the gang. I was busy diverting my attention with something else. I kept my self busy for a few weeks or months, I don't even know how long it has been.

 

Now it was Lizzie's party, I'm drinking to much to prepare my self when I get to see her with a date. I scoffed, such an idiot.

 

Am I getting jealous? Yes. Will I ever admit it? No.

 

 

"Are you down for a gig? No, scratch that, you can't refuse." Ethan said.

 

"Will that be for the upcoming festival? I heard that from a blockmate." He nodded at me.

 

Will Alex perform with us?

 

"I talked to Alex about it too. She's part of the band now." Just like he read my mind.

 

"That's good.. Do we have practices?" I asked hoping for a yes and a no. Yes, because I want to use this chance to clear what I really felt by getting close to her again, and also no because what if.. what if I realize I really do like her?

 

"Yeah, we need to. I'll check on their schedules."

 

 

I saw Alex's car when I arrived home, the lights are on. I should probably say hi.

 

I knocked on the window, but to my surprise, someone else went out of the car.

 

"Hi! I'm Kaleb."

 

"Hi, sorry I thought it was Alex."

 

"I recognized you, I knew you're my sister's friend. I was confused that you were ignoring each other that night." I think he was talking about the dinner with their family.

 

"Anyway, Alex is currently living with Lizzie right now. Me and my fiancé had to use her properties for some reason."

 

"Oh, okay. Have a good night, Kaleb."

 

As if the world was stopping me from interacting with her.

 

 

"Are you good? You came back here immediately." Lizzie asked leaning on the door.

 

"Yeah, I wasn't really hungry. I saw Alex's brother a few days ago, I didn't know she was staying here."

 

"I actually thought she would stay with you. Are you uncomfortable with Alicia around?"

 

"No.. why would I be?" I sat down in front of the piano and played with it getting nervous where will this conversation go.

 

"I just saw you getting giddy with Alex earlier, and when she arrived you're back to isolating again." I fell silent.

 

"I know you went to LA for her, back then." My hand stopped.

 

I laughed awkwardly, "What are you talking about?"

 

"Don't deny it, Sam. You weren't surprised when she was suddenly in campus, like you knew she'll be back. And then I realized it, you were missing for a week that time." I stared at her, no one knows about that. And I don't think Alex told anyone too.

 

Lizzie: I miss you already, Lexi...

Kira: We just saw each other a few weeks ago! 

Danny: Promise you'll visit us! Or you're gonna let us visit you, okay?

Kira: Yeah, now stop Liz from crying!

 

I sighed.. It feels weird, I was imagining her going to college with us. It never occurred to me that she already had plans for her future. I guess I was just used to her being around.

 

I started packing some things shaking my head. 

 

"I'm going away for a few days, vacation with a friend." I said to my mom.

 

"Where and when?"

 

"LA, tomorrow morning. Can you.. not tell anyone, even my friends, if they ever ask for me?"

 

She scanned me, "Okay, have fun!" Great!

 

I booked a flight right away, the earliest flight. I'm lucky there are still flights available. I facepalmed myself, I didn't even know her exact address!

 

I looked for Marcus' contact hoping that I had it saved. Aha! I do. I texted him immediately asking her address with a context of 'for future purposes', lucky me, he replied quickly.

 

 

I arrived in front of her house, and it was huge. I rang their doorbell or telecom.

 

"Good day!"

 

"Hello, I'm here for Kira, Alexis Kira." The small portion of the gate suddenly opened and a helper guided me inside. 

 

They're house looks simple but elegant, and they have their own security. Of course, this is the house of a well known business family.

 

Another helper come up to me inside, I was welcomed by their family portrait. 

 

"Are you a friend of the young miss?" An older woman asked me while offering a drink. She must be a long time helper of their family.

 

"Yes, my name is Samantha." She smiled fondly and had someone call for Alex. I hope she's already awake since it's still early.

 

I scanned around, I remember Alex not being fond of fancy things and I think her family isn't too. There's even pictures of her and her brothers around, I smiled.

 

"I was kinda surprised when they told me a friend is here." Alex said going down the stairs.

 

"Is Los Angeles just a corner around?" She said grinning, I stood up and hugged her.

 

"Surprise?" I said.

 

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

 

"I was bored and decided to visit." We sat.

 

"I was gone for a week! I thought it was Lizzie and thinks she's crazy for flying here."

 

"And now I'm the crazy one." I said chuckling.

 

"How long will you stay here?"

 

"I haven't book any flight back yet, and I didn't book a hotel either." I said realizing I really did something insane.

 

"You can absolutely stay here. Come on, I'll show you around."

 

 

"I haven't told anyone I'm here." I said, we were eating dinner.

 

"Lizzie will be jealous if she finds out. Do you want to visit some places tomorrow?"

 

"Sounds good!"

 

"If it was just a friendly gesture you would've taken us too." Lizzie said again.

 

"It was just an impulsive and crazy decision."

 

"Did you go there to convince her?"

 

"At first I just wanted to hangout for the last time, since we really didn't know if we'll ever see her again soon. But then.. I" 

 

She stared at me.

 

"A week of stay there, it was fun and suddenly I– I wanted to continue doing that with her and with you guys. So I just took the chance."

 

"Are you sure no one's looking for you? You've been gone for a while now."

 

"Are you telling me to go home already?" I .

 

"Nooo!" We laughed, "You can actually stay here for a year if you want to."

 

"Or you can come back with me." I nonchalantly suggested. Of course I was just acting nonchalant but I was nervous internally.

 

"Do you want me to have a vacation?"

 

"No, I meant permanently. Spend your college years with us, Alex." Our eyes met.

 

"Okay."

 

"I thought she'd refuse you know. But she agreed so fast, like she didn't really have her own plans."

 

"Or because it's you who asked her to come back." I looked at her confused. 

 

"Okay! Back to our agenda!" We heard Danny shouting.

 

I just shrugged off what Lizzie just said. I mean, if anyone else went there, Alex would still consider coming back.

 

 

"Whoa, look at those musicians." Danny said.

 

"Admit it, you're looking at those hunk drummers." Lizzie rebutted.

 

"Oh, totally."

 

"Are you nervous for your first actual public performance with us?" I asked Alex, we performed at Lizzie's party before but there are more people at this event.

 

"I'm feeling excited though." She said. I haven't seen Alicia around, is she not coming to watch?

 

"That's good then."

 

We rehearsed a few minutes later. They wanted to make sure that the instruments are all working fine. 

 


"Do I look okay?" Lizzie asked us all. We're performing next. 

 

"You look great, Liz." Alex answered.

 

Danny started the intro with his piano followed by me.

 

Lover of mine
Maybe we'll take some time
Kaleidoscope mind
Gets in the way

 

I glanced at them, I missed this.

 

Lead to where your secrets are
Where we've been a thousand times
Swallow every single lie
Take all of me

 

I'll never give you away
'Cause I've already made that mistake
If my name never fell off your lips again
I know it'd be such a shame
When I take a look at my life
And all of my crimes
You're the only thing that I think I got I right
I'll never give you away
'Cause I've already made
Already made that mistake

 

 

We performed a few more 5sos songs after that. Lizzie really did well singing, especially the heartbreak songs.

 

 

"Ali!" Liz called.

 

"Hi!"

 

"We haven't seen you around much."

 

"Sorry, I was quite busy. Dad's business and stuff. What's up?" 

 

"She just misses Alex too." I said chuckling. We're back to campus and Alex haven't been around.

 

"Oh, Alex went home, to LA." Suddenly? The break's done.

 

"Really? Why?" Lizzie asked.

 

"For her brother's wedding."

 

"That's a relief, I thought something bad happened to you two."

 

"We actually called things off. A month ago." 

 

"You broke up??" Liz exclaimed.

 

"We weren't together..." I just stared at her, I couldn't say anything.