Chapter 9

Can I be her?

It's the last game on sunday before the term break. I haven't been able to play the last three games. The team only lost once. I am currently lying on the sofa here at hq.

 

"You have training later lexi?" Ethan asked 

 

"You're back in training? Isn't your ankle still healing?" Liz asked me. 2 weeks of rest and I can walk comfortably now.

 

"Yup! But just mild training, I'm just throwing balls for them." 

 

"Will you play on sunday?" 

 

"No, coach wants me to be fully recovered for the semis. Also, they're doing fine." I'm confident they'll win this game even without me.

 

"What time is the swim meet tomorrow Ethan?" Noah asked. 

 

"Around 10am." I think Madi also have a match tomorrow. I should watch.

 

 


Me: Good luck on your match today Madi!

Madison: Thanks, lex. Will you watch?

Me: Yup! Ethan also has a match. What time is yours?

Madison: Before theirs I think. We're actually on the way.

Me: Then I should go early, I'll watch your match too.

Madison: Really? Okay!

 

I texted the gang before preparing.


Lizzie's fav humans

Me: I'll be going first. Madi also has a match before Ethan.

Liz: You can't drive lexi, I'll go with you.

Sam: I'll go Liz. Give me 10 Kira.

Me: Okay! Good luck Ethan! See you later.

Ethan: Thanks, lexi. See you all!

 



I saw Sam at the lobby waiting for me.

 

"Will you seriously drive alone?" She asked

 

"No, I was going to ask you to go with me."

 

"Ok good. Wanna grab some breakfast first?"

 

"Let's go!" She put her arm on my shoulder while walking to the parking.

 

 

 

We sat beside Ethan when we saw him talking with his other friends. I looked around the pool trying to find Madi. I think many people will be watching the match today.

 

"Hey, I'm just going to talk to Madi." I tapped Sam.

 

"Okay, careful."

 

I walked down to the railing and waved at madi so she would notice me. She smiled and came to me.

 

"How are you?" I asked her. 

 

"I should be the one asking you that lexi. How's your injury?"

 

"I feel better already, don't worry. I'm certain you'll win this match." I gave her a thumbs up.

 

"I'm competing with your school you know? Are you a spy? How could you support another athlete." She said laughing.

 

"I'm cheering on you, I don't actually know her." I whispered. She pinched my cheeks.

 

"Okay kid, thanks. Let's have a coffee or something next week." I nodded and waved at her.

 

 


Madi and Ethan both won today. I texted madi to congratulate her.

 

We're currently chilling at Ethan's place after we ate lunch earlier.

 

"How long will we stay at san fransisco?" Danny asked.

 

We plan to stay at Lizzie's rest house before holidays. We used to go there every summer, but this year's summer we were kinda busy. 

 

"Three or four days? I have to go to chicago few days before Christmas." Liz said

 

"Fine by me. We have a business party too." Ethan said

 

"I guess alex will be spending Christmas with me this year!" Danny said wriggling his eyebrows.

 

"No, she can go with me to chicago." Liz said

 

"Lexi can stay with me and avery." Noah offered. 

 

"Sorry to break it to you guys, but she will be spending it with me this year." Sam proudly said.

 

"Why are you all fighting over me?" I said laughing. They all looked at me smiling. This is what I love about them, they always treat me like their baby sister. 


 

 

Mom: Happy Birthday honey, we'll see you soon! I bought you something :*

Dad: Happy Birthday sweetie. Tell me if you need anything, should I buy you a new car?

Kaleb: Happy Birthday kid luv u!

 

I replied to my family before checking my other messages.


Kiarra: Happy Birthday babe :*

Madison: Happy Birthday Alex! See you!

Marcus: Happy Birthday bff!

 

My team mates also greeted me. I won't be having a grand celebration for my birthday, I'm just going to have a dinner with the gang later.

 

 

I heard someone knocking on the door. Is it sam? I looked at the clock, it's still early. I opened the door.

 

"Happy Birthday!" I saw Kiarra smiling widely holding a cake with Madi peeking behind her.

 

I invited them inside, they hugged me both.

 

"Madi I thought that "see you" was for another day!" I said.

 

"Surprise?" Madi said laughing.

 

"I missed you lexi! I think you grew taller." Kiarra said. I stared at her she looks different too, she looks more matured and pretty.

 

"You've been busy." She have many modelling gigs for the past few months. It must be tiring.

 

"I know, this is me saying sorry." She kissed my cheeks. 

 

"We also brought lunch, i hope you don't have plans at the time." Madi prepared the table.

 

"Thanks, I only have plans later at night."

 

 

We ate and talked about what has been happening to us recently. I found out that Kiarra dated a guy few months ago but they didn't last long. 

 

"How could you not tell me?" I acted hurt.

 

"Sorry babe, I thought it was just a fling."

 

"But I still think your best friend is the one for you." I mentioned. She has this guy friend, Theo. Kiarra actually liked him but she thinks it's not mutual.

 

"That's what I'm telling her too, it's obvious he also has a thing for you. I see it in his eyes." Madi said

 

We kept on teasing her about theo. We said that we will watch him on her part next year.

 

"Oh speaking about the party, i think Jules is coming." I stopped slicing the cake, really? Does Sam know?

 

"I didn't know she's back in Cali. Maybe her dad's here for business." Madi said. 

 

"I don't know either. My sister actually invited her that's how I found out." Madi and Kiarra went to the same high school as Jules, they knew her because she's classmates with Madi and Kiarra's older sister.

 

"Did Sam mention something to you guys about her ex coming back?" Madi asked. 

 

"No, I'm not really sure if she knew." 

 

 

We continued talking a few more minutes. They even teased me about spending christmas with Sam. 

 

"Thank you for today, really. Take care on your way." I told them. They hugged me and said good bye.

 

 

Spent the night with a simple dinner. We even went to play at an arcade after. Sam doesn't seem to be bothered with anything. I think she didn't know or she just doesn't care about Jules coming back.

 

"Thank you guys, I totally had fun today." I hugged them all. 

 

"Happy birthday lexi!"