Chapter 27

Can I be her?


"You were just a baby when I last saw you." A relative told me. I smiled at them.

 

"You look just like Kaden."

 

"I heard that a lot growing up. I'm glad." I said. I feel happy that they see Kaden in me. I know everyone misses him.

 

I excused myself to go to the powder room, there are so many visitors for Kaleb and Harper's wedding.

 

"Dad, are you really creating a commotion? It's my son's special day."

 

I heard my mom in a room, what's happening? I walked closer.

 

"I can't believe you're plotting things behind my back!"

 

"It's not plotting something bad."

 

"You're creating your own business! An airline?"

 

"I have my own freedom to do something."

 

"So? You're just going to forget OUR family's business? You are so ungrateful."

 

"It's for my family, Dad. It was Kaden's dream."

 

My mom saw me when she walked out. She mouthed 'it's okay', I must've looked worried.

 

I guess my grandfather always wanted mom to handle his business, it was undeniable that our mom was the best one out of his daughters. She has the will, and that will also encouraged her to do something on her own. Grandpa couldn't accept that.

 

 

I got back to campus a week late. I enjoyed my vacation with my family.

 

I waved at Lizzie when I saw her walking towards me, why is she walking too fast?

 

"We've got so much talking to do."

 

"What?" She slightly pulled my hair, "Ow!"

 

"You confused the hell out of us! I thought you and Ali were dating?"

 

"I'm sorry, okay? But I never told you that though." 

 

"So? Why didn't it happen?" We walked together.

 

"You know exactly why, don't ask." 

 

"Then, are you and Ali okay?"

 

"We are, Ali is such a good person."

 

"That's good. So... what are you gonna do now?"

 

"Nothing?"

 

She stopped walking and faced me, "What? Why? Don't you want Sam to know what you really feel about her?"

 

"Because... It's not like I have a chance."

 

"How would you know if you won't try?"

 

I sighed, "I won't do it, not until she gives me a reason to. I can't lose her, Liz."

 

"What if Sam likes you back?" Not possible.

 

"You don't know that.."

 

"She cares about you a lot." She argued.

 

"It's Samantha, you know how nice of a person she is."

 

She sighed in defeat, "I'm sorry for pushing you with this conversation."

 

 

"Hey, rockstar. You're back." Sam greeted me.

 

"Hi!"

 

"Party starts at 7!" Danny shouted. He's celebrating his birthday tonight since he has to go celebrate it with his family tomorrow.

 

"Dan, it's just 9 in the morning." Sam answered.

 

"Didn't want anyone to forget. Oh, Lexi! You're back! right on time."

 

"I'm not planning on missing your birthday."

 

"Good, because he's gonna bug you all year for doing that." Ethan said. 


 

As expected, Dan invited a whole lot of people. I don't even recognize almost everyone. 

 

I saw a familiar back at the bar counter, "Madi."

 

She turned to me, "Hi, Lexi!" 

 

"Bcc got the invite huh." I sat beside her

 

"Yeah, drink?"

 

"I'm good, not really up for a drink tonight." She just nodded. "I just realized how many people my friends know."

 

She looked around, "It's not like they knew everyone, some of them just went for party and drinks." She chuckled.

 

 

I pulled over Lizzie's driveway, god they're wasted. Luckily there's an awake maid so she helped me with Lizzie.

 

I supported Sam in entering the guest room. I guess we're sleeping on the same bed tonight. I went to the other side of the bed and start browsing my phone to make myself sleepy.

 

I turned my back at her and put my phone down on the table. I was about to close my eyes when I felt her moving. 

 

My body frozed when she breathed on my back and wrapped her arm around my waist. Is she awake? No, I don't think so. 

 

I woke up with no Sam beside me.

 

"Sam went home?" I said when I got to the living room. I saw Lizzie massaging her temples.

 

"Really? I thought she's still asleep." 

 

"She's not in the room."

 

"I'll text her. Let's go eat some breakfast."

 

Nat (don't reply): Hello, Kid :P I'm around. Let's meet?

Me: Why?

Nat (don't reply): What why? Don't you miss me?

Me: No?

Nat (don't reply): Come on, Lexi. We haven't met for months, I'll tell Kiarra that you hate me :(

Me: I'm kidding. Fine, stop whining.

Nat (don't reply): Yes! Lunch at GK.

 

"I have to go after. Will you be fine now?"

 

"Yeah, it's just another hangover."

 

I went home and took a shower to meet Nat, she's a long time friend and a senior from high school. Aside from my friends she's someone I look up a lot to. I hope she won't ever know that I said that.

 

When I saw her in front of the restaurant her arms are wide open.

 

"Come and hug me, Lex." I rolled my eyes and still went to hug her. "Good girl." She chuckled.

 

"How are you?" She asked when we sat.

 

"I'm good, still playing volleyball. How about you?"

 

"So so, I'm quite busy with Dad's company." We ordered when the waiter came to us.

 

"What brings you back here?" I asked, I know how busy she is we talk sometimes. She calls me when she's bored.

 

"My friends wanted to have a reunion, some of them are also organizing a busking performance."

 

"My friends also performs. I actually performed with them a few times."

 

"Really? I'm proud. I thought I'm the only one who's going hear your good voice ever." 



"Accidentally, your heard me singing accidentally." She chuckled at my remark. 

 

You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt
And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt (tight little skirt)
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style (We never go, we never go)

We never go out of style

Take me home
Just take me home, yeah
Just take me home
(Out of style)


I hummed while taking a shower. 

 

"Hi!" I heard someone outside.

 

"Jesus, you scared me." I said. I thought all the athletes were gone.

 

"Sorry, really! This is weird, but your voice is really good."

 

"Thanks?" I said draping the towel on my body.

 

"I'm from the student council, do you want to join the music club?"

 

"Uhh.."

 

"Sorry, I'll ask you again in an appropriate place." She said then I heard the door shut.

 

"You really scared me that day. I even thought it was a ghost."

 

"I remember you going out of the shower room with your wet red hair. You were shocked that I was waiting for you." 

 

"Yeah, like a creepy stalker." We laughed.

 

"I miss your red hair, why'd you change it?"

 

"You know you're famous back then, and when you graduated I knew they'll remember the red hair girl you're always with. I didn't want the attention, and they don't know my name so I'm lucky."

 

"Are you ashamed of me?" She pouted.

 

"I said I didn't want the attention. Stop that." I threw a crumpled tissue on her.

 

"You said you perform with your friends now, you didn't even sing on my graduation party." She sulked.

 

"Atleast I went on your graduation, hey, Ohio is not that close to berkeley." 

 

"I'm so thankful for that, really. I'm happy I had someone on my special day."

 

I looked around for Nat, I'm glad that I when I went home to LA, after a few days it was the time for her graduation. Their names were being called on the stage, I'm right on time.

 

When the awardings ended, I went directly to her.

 

"Congratulations!" She turned to me with her shocked face.

 

"Alex! Oh my god!" She hugged me. "How are you here?"

 

"You invited me." I said giving her the stem of rose.

 

"I mean, I didn't know you'd really come." She hugged me again. "Thank you! So much, Lexi." 

 

"Will you go visit the event on friday? The busking event, then sing a song or two."

 

"Okay, fine." 

 

"Oh, yeah!" I laughed at her.

 

"You're such a kid. How did we even got close?" I said.

 

"Hey, I'm three years older than you. And for the record, I’m your-"

 

"Okay, okay." I stopped her. She just grinned.

 

 

She rolled down her windows, "I'll see you on friday, kay? Don't run away." 

 

"I won't. Drive safely."