Chapter 29

Can I be her?

 

"Thanks for driving me to the airport." Nat said, she's going back home now.

 

"It's nothing. Take care of yourself."

 

"I will, you too." We hugged. "You should tell the girl what you feel. Not how you handled it with me."

 

I chuckled, "I made you confess to me first." 

 

"Don't wait until it's too late."

 

"I already thought I am late. Don't worry, I just needed the head start." 

 

She told me that day at the busking event that I should use a song to lowkey confess, or atleast tell what's on my mind.

 

"Now, go and get your girl. I'll see you again soon."

 

"Please, don't." She pinched my side.

 

Unknown: Can we meet?

 

Who the hell? I sat inside my car.

 

Unknown: It's Hailey, I know you did not save my number.

Unknown: I'm not hitting on you this is actually important.

 

I sighed what is she up to this time.

 

Me: What is it?

Unknown: I need to talk to you, this will benefit you too. 

Me: ??

Unknown: Samantha.

 

Okay, I am genuinely curious. 

 

Me: If this is one of your antics, I swear to god.

Unknown: I know Elizabeth will kill me.

 

She wanted to meet at a cafe near my condo so I just walked and left my car at my parking. I saw her immediately when I entered the cafe.

 

"Do you want something?" I shook my head, then I looked around. "You're so cold, Alexis. I did not bring anyone else."

 

"You know Sam lives around here, right?"

 

"I know, I just ordered and we'll talk somewhere else."

 

"And why would I go with you?"

 

"Because, you're the only person who knows my secret." I raised an eyebrow at her, "The best friend thing."

 

So it is true, she like Jules. 

 

"Fine."

 

I'll probably regret sitting in her passenger seat later. But I understand at some point that she can't talk about her feelings with anyone right now. I sighed.

 

We went to an overlooking area. I can see the city.

 

"Are you going to ask some advice on how to confess to a close friend? Because seeing my situation, you're with the wrong person." I said leaning on the car's hood while she sat on it.

 

"I'm not seeking for advice, I'm just... We literally grew up together, Jules and I. When Samantha came into her life, I thought I was jealous because they hung out together more than us." 

 

"Not until few years later she told me that she likes her new bestfriend, romantically." She continued. "And then they were suddenly girlfriends." She chuckled bitterly.

 

"So you just decided to do something stupid and tried ruining their relationship."

 

"Hey! I'm not that bad of a person. But I admit, it was partly my fault." She's right about partly, the decision was still up to Jules. "I just wanted them to break up, but it escalated with something more hurtful."

 

The sun is setting, "You should've brought alcohol if you wanted to rant about your feelings."

 

"Are you asking me for a drink?" She teased. 

 

I rolled my eyes, "In your dreams. So, what's your plan now?"

 

"I don't know if you like Sam or she likes you, I haven't figured that out. But I can do something that will pressure her to make a move."

 

"I do. I like her. But what makes you think she does?"

 

"Jules thinks that Sam won't get back with her because of you. At first I thought she was just over thinking it and was just jealous because you know, you two are cousins with a competition."

 

"I'm not competing with her."

 

"She thinks otherwise. Here's the thing, every party, gathering or whatever I barge in invited or not." She rolled her eyes. "I watched Samantha, every glance meant something. Believe me or not, I saw that look from Jules in the past. That's how she looks at you every moment."

 

She went down from the hood, "But I don't think she acknowledges it. I can make her realize that."

 

"I did not know you can talk with sense. What are you going to do?"

 

"I'll hit on you openly. And before you complain, you don't have to do anything with me." 

 

"What's in it for you?"

 

"I don't know, maybe there's a slightest chance that my stupid bestfriend would see me differently."

 

I stared at her keenly, "Openly means you got Lizzie on your back, you know that right?"

 

"She'll understand later on. Let's go before she kills me tonight."

 

She tried starting the car but it won't start. Now what?

 

"Thank the heavens, maybe." She fished out her phone and texted someone.

 

"What are you up to now?" She smiled slyly, "I'm not gonna call anyone because we'll both be dead before the night ends." I said.

 

Half an hour later two cars pulled up. Oh god. Sam.

 

"What happened?" Jules went directly to Hailey. 

 

I walked towards Sam. "Thanks for coming." I said.

 

"Are you okay?" I nodded.

 

"Alex!" I glanced at Hailey, "Think about what I offered, okay?" She winked.

 

I fastened my seatbelt beside Sam when she started the engine.

 

"How did you end up with her in this place?" She asked.

 

"Stupid Hailey kidnapped me." I said

 

"What is she on to?"

 

"She.." should I, ugh this is stupid, "She asked me to go out with her. Like, she wanted to date me." Hailey, I will smack you if this doesn't work.

 

She stopped at the side of the empty road.

 

"Please, tell me you refused." She said almost frustrated.

 

"Why?" I'm totally setting up the flame here.

 

"Because, it's Hailey. You know what she is."

 

"No other reason?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Okay." I said.

 

"Okay you agree or?"

 

"Okay I'll figure her out through the process." She looked dumbfounded.

 

She started driving again, "Lizzie will scold you."

 

"I can handle Liz."

 

"If you wanted to date you can find somebody else."

 

"Will you introduce me to someone?" I saw her tight grip on the steering wheel. 

 

"No." 


I just stayed silent until we arrived at our building.

 

"Thanks." I muttered when she parked. I got out of the car immediately.

 

"If you wanted to date for fun, date me instead." I stopped walking.

 

"I'm not gonna date you for fun, Sam."

 

"Then fall in love with me."

 

I turned around with a widen eyes.

 

"I like you, Alexis. No, I am in love with you."