Chapter 15

Can I be her?


"My brain hurts!" I complained. It's been only 3 weeks since the start of the term, but there's so many papers already. I peeked at Alicia's laptop.

 

"As expected from the daughter of a businessman." She chuckled.

 

"Lex, you're also a daughter of a business man." She stopped typing. "You need to finish that so you can focus on your upcoming games. It's almost the semis right?"

 

"Yeah, two more games." We won our game last week.

 

"Let's eat lunch for now, you need energy. Let's try Kerr."

 

 

I think it's a bad idea eating here, I can feel someone staring at me.

 

"I'm getting chills." I said to Alicia.

 

"What? It's not that cold." She said. Then i felt an arm on my shoulders.

 

"Hi new friend! I'm Elizabeth." Lizzie said to Alicia reaching out her right hand.

 

"Hello! Alicia." She smiled and they shook hands.

 

"You're right on time lexi. Come eat with us and introduce your new friend to the guys." I awkwardly smiled. She waited for us like I'm gonna run away.

 


"You sit beside Sammy, and I'm going to interview her." Lizzie said pulling Alicia beside her.

 

"Hello again Alicia!" Danny greeted her. "We met on the first day." He explained to others.

 

They all introduced themselves. I apologetically smiled at her and sat, she must've been shocked by their energy. Lizzie then asked if we only met at uni.

 

"You're scaring her off." I said. Liz just make faced at me.

 

"No, actually we met on new year. From a business party with our parents." Alicia answered.

 

"Ooh meet the family already? Is this a business marriage? Kidding!" I choked on Danny's joke. 

 

I forgot to buy a drink Alicia and Sam both handed me their glass. I glared at Danny.

 

"She doesn't drink cola." Sam said. "Drink this I'm drinking coffee later anyway." I took it and muttered thanks.

 

"Don't mind him." Noah said to Alicia chuckling. "I just now realized that ucb is really that big, we haven't seen you around." He said looking at me.

 

"You saw me guys at the game." I said. Lizzie looked unconvinced but I just shrugged.

 

They talked a little while. I think I lost my energy even more with this lunch. 

 

 


"Your friends are cool." Alicia said while we are walking. She seem to get along pretty well with Lizzie.

 

"Lizzie and Danny are both lively. I hope you didn't get worn out." I said.

 

"They're enthusiastic and fun." She said smiling. "Can I watch your training later?" 

 

"Sure. But I'll go to the dorm first after our class." I said.

 

"It's fine, I have a group meeting later in one subject too. I'll just see you there." I nodded.

 

 

"You got a new girl watching you?" Dina asked while we are jumping.

 

"What?" 

 

"Well, Sam used to do that." She said side eyeing on Ali's way.

 

"She's just new here, and bored." I said. My eyes darted to someone who entered the court. Sam. 

 

"Collins!" The ball almost hit my head. Jeez. Dina wriggled her eyebrows on me, I glared at her.

 


We finished first half of the training. I saw Ali stood up, she mouthed 'gotta go' to me, I nodded.

 

Sam is still there reading a book. Few minutes break, I jogged closer to her.

 

"I think this place is too distracting to read a book." I said. 

 

"It's alright, I'm waiting for you." She looked at me and handed a bottle of water. When's the last time I'm this close talking to her eye to eye?

 

"Why?" I drank from the bottle.

 

"What do you mean why?" She chuckled. "Dinner, of course." My heart thumped because of her smile. I looked away. This is crazy.

 

"Why? Do you have other plans for tonight?" She asked.

 

"No.. none." I said clearing my throat.

 

"Good. Now go, they're going back already." 

 


 

"You've been staying at the dorm for the past weeks?" Sam asked while waiting for our food. 

 

"Yeah, for my morning training." 

 

"Kira. We rarely see you, really. We're actually worried. You know you can tell us anything right?" 

 

Say my name and everything just stops

I don't want you like a best friend

 

"Nothing's wrong. It has been just a busy weeks." I timidly smiled at her. 

 

This feels like deja vu. You pulling me in again when you feel that I'm far away. Reassuring that I always have someone. 

 

"Come back. Spend your college years with us."

 

"Let's hangout until later. Like watch a movie or something." She suggested.

 

"Yours or mine?" I asked.

 

"Yours. You have a bigger tv, and you don't even use it." We chuckled.

 


We stopped at a convenience store to buy snacks.

 

"Isn't it still cold season, why are you buying an ice cream?" I asked chuckling.

 

"Why? Who refuses ice cream?" She laughed. I also took some chips.

 

 

"What should we watch..." Sam said while browsing. I am fixing the mini table for our snacks when we heard a doorbell.

 

"Are you expecting someone?" Sam asked. I shook my head.

 

"No." I walked towards the door to open it, then I saw Lizzie.

 

"What are you doing here?" I asked and opened the door widely for her.

 

"I'm free so I wanted to hangout."

 

"How do you know I'm home?" I helped her with the pizza.

 

"Just a hunch." She shrugged. "Oh, Sam I thought you were out?" 

 

"I am, I ate dinner with Kira. You were supposed to invite me here?" Sam said. Lizzie just nodded.

 

"Did you pick a movie already? It's still early let's binge watch The summer I turned pretty.

 

"I heard about that, isn't that the first love thingy?" I said placing the pizza on the table.

 

"Yeah." Lizzie answered. I sat in the middle of them.

 

"Why would you wanna watch a love story?" Sam asked.

 

"Because I think this is an interesting story." 

 

"You're not a fan of romance." 

 

"I'm a changed person!" Lizzie argued.

 

"Okay let's just change seats Liz." I said.

 

"No" Sam pulled me by the arm. "I mean it's playing already. And Liz might slap me when she starts seeing kissing scenes." We laughed. We all focused on the screen.


 


I don't want you to need me, I want you to want me.


I raised my head from Lizzie's shoulder sniffing. Sam handed me a tissue. 
 

"No one really gets over their first love huh." Lizzie commented.

 

"I don't think that's true." Sam debated.

 

I took a slice of pizza. It's almost 3am and we just finished the series.

 

"Why are you suddenly eating?" Lizzie asked me giggling. 

 

"I'm recharging, I cried you know." I said 

 

"I don't get it, I mean I would've still go to Jere." Lizzie said. 

 

"Me too, I think." Sam agreed. 

 

"How about you Lexi? Team Conrad or Team Jere?" Lizzie wiggled her eyebrows.

 

"I think I'll choose my first love." I said.

 

"Why?" Sam asked

 

"Conrad kinda hurt Belly, Jere was just all there waiting." Lizzie added.

 

"Conrad was just a coward and in denial, and he has a reason. But maybe it still depends on what's happening, my first love wouldn't hurt me."

 

They suddenly stopped and just stared at me. "I mean.. hypothetically, I don't think I would've like someone who will intentionally hurt me." I continued. 

 

I stood up to get some water. My throat suddenly feel dry.

 

"Yeah hypothetically?" Lizzie shouted.

 

"Totally hypothetically!" I answered back.

 

"I'll stay for the night, you going up Sam?" 

 

"No, I'll sleep over too."

 

"Kay! I'll shower first." 

 

"You're just running away from cleaning Liz." She just winked at me.

 

I took some blankets after Sam and I cleaned up the table. We decided to sleep here in the living room, the couch is big anyway.

 

"Do you have your first love?" Sam suddenly asked. 

 

"Uhmm... a celebrity maybe, I don't know.." I lied and placed the pillows on the couch. 

 

"Mine was a boy I think, back in third grade. He used to wear a superman outfit and trying to protect me from other kids." She laughed. I thought it was Jules.

 

"So you're into boys when you were a kid huh." I , she threw a small pillow at me.

 

I stared at her. I feel sorry for assuming that you see me the way I see you. I gave meaning to every gestures and how you were towards me. I feel sorry maybe because I couldn't tell you how I feel. But I'm never sorry for loving you since the first day I saw you.